Why Is The Moon Not Spinning Then?

Does the moon spin on its axis?

Relative to the stars, yes, it does. Once a month.

Is it possible for an orbiting body to not rotate?

Theoretically, yes. In practice, it is quite unlikely. Some asteroids rotate very slowly, though.

Does the Earth rotate about its axis? Yes. As it goes about the Sun. Does the Moon rotate about its axis? Yes. As it goes around the Earth. It just happens that its 'day' (time to go around its axis) is the same length as it's 'year' (time to go around its parent).

If the Earth's day was the same length as a year, one half would always face the Sun and one half wouldn't. Doesn't mean the Earth isn't spinning on its axis.

Here's an explanation of why the moon is rotating by Rosanna Hamilton:

The Moon is 384,403 kilometers (238,857 miles) distant from the Earth. Its diameter is 3,476 kilometers (2,160 miles). Both the rotation of the Moon and its revolution around Earth takes 27 days, 7 hours, and 43 minutes. This synchronous rotation is caused by an unsymmetrical distribution of mass in the Moon, which has allowed Earth's gravity to keep one lunar hemisphere permanently turned toward Earth. Optical librations have been observed telescopically since the mid-17th century. Very small but real librations (maximum about 0°.04) are caused by the effect of the Sun's gravity and the eccentricity of Earth's orbit, perturbing the Moon's orbit and allowing cyclical preponderances of torque in both east-west and north-south directions.

It makes perfect sense to me, but it still seems that it would be relative rotation, while not "real" rotation.
Does the ball at the end of the string rotate?
Again, if you are hovering above the ball it would appear that the ball is rotating and I am orbiting around the ball, but that's just not the case.
It seems to me that since the moon is trapped in an orbit around the earth, the earth-bound observer would be the correct perspective.

We have yet to even see you provide a single quantitative model for your work.

I am shying away from the maths, but that's because I believe the only way to really understand whether a model is correct or not is by computer simulation. Something akin to the work being done at Durham University. Although their model seems to be an unweildy joke, which manages to produce pictures similar to those revealed by the Hubble Telescope.

So what equations would you use in your simulation?

No simulations at all, I suspect, because that naturally requires equations.:rolleyes:

And speaking of suspicions, I'll go ahead and state the obvious: the poster is yet another kid trying to pose as an adult. Silly attempt, actually.

That's the first comment that's made me laugh.

AL :)

Can you show me to be incorrect? You certainly show over and over that you know practically nothing about what you claim to have a degree in, plus the fact that modeling requires equations to run and computer simulations require math - yet you say you shy away from math.

Who else but a kid could be so self-contradictory and not even realize it?

No knowledge, no math = young kid! You've exposed yourself with no help needed from others.

No simulations at all, I suspect, because that naturally requires equations.:rolleyes:
Which is exactly why I asked the question and why I shall continue to ask it until one of three things happen:
1) He provides the equations.
2) He admits his level of ignorance.
3) He disappears.

Do not avoid the question CommonSenseSeeker, which equations would you use in your simulation?

The result of 25 years work isn't for free.

Ah, well - yet another "would-be scientist" bites the dust.:rolleyes:

I wonder sometime why these forums attract so many impostors? While anonymity can allow anyone to claim to be anything they want to be, they simply aren't intelligent enough to realize that their very on words will always convict them of being a fraud.:shrug:

What a waste!

My simulation model is that of the beginning of creation followed by the big bang, incidentally.

Can we not get back onto the original thread idea?

Not unless you post something of substance. I have seen two things from you:
a) A clear display that you do not understand basic physics.
b) Waffle about alternative physics.
The opportunity to change my perception of you is in your hands, not mine.

Not unless you post something of substance. I have seen two things from you:
a) A clear display that you do not understand basic physics.
b) Waffle about alternative physics.
The opportunity to change my perception of you is in your hands, not mine.

Ditto.

I'm not trying to impress you. My scientific mind is a good one, if a little unconventional. Most physicists at the top of their profession welcome alternative thinking. It's how most of history's great scientific discoveries were made.

Back