Why is questioning religion forbidden?

James R

Just this guy, you know?
Staff member
Here's a quote from Douglas Adams, of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy fame:

Now, the invention of the scientific method is, I'm sure we'll all agree, the most powerful intellectual idea, the most powerful framework for thinking and investigating and understanding and challenging the world around us that there is, and it rests on the premise that any idea is there to be attacked. If it withstands the attack it lives to fight another day, and if it doesn't withstand the attack down it goes. Religion doesn't seem to work like that. It has certain ideas at the heart of it which we call sacred or holy or whatever. What it means is, "Here is an idea or a notion that you're not allowed to say anything bad about; you're just not. Why not? - because you're not!" If somebody votes for a party that you don't agree with, you're free to argue about it as much as you like; everybody will have an argument but nobody feels aggrieved by it. If somebody thinks taxes should go up or down, you are free to have an argument about it. But on the other hand, if somebody says, "I mustn't move a light switch on Saturday", you say, "I respect that."

I would like to hear your opinions on why this special kind of respect is given to religion.

What makes religion so special that it can't be questioned?

Why do people get so upset when their religious beliefs are questioned? What is the difference between, say, their political beliefs and their religious beliefs?

Is God afraid of being questioned?

James R said:
I would like to hear your opinions on why this special kind of respect is given to religion.

Why do people get so upset when their religious beliefs are questioned? What is the difference between, say, their political beliefs and their religious beliefs?

People are so entrenched in their religious beliefs that to question it, would also mean that you are questioning them about their claim to faith. People get upset at having their religious beliefs questioned because it is uncomfortable. They feel such pride for their beliefs that they are instantly defensive of it. Someone who is deeply involved in their religion does not want to face any questions that may enable them to question their religion themselves. It is better to remain blind and safe in a shell, knowing exactly what your religion says is true, then to face the outside and try to answer any questions that bring to light a possible fallacy in their religion. When one is their religion and can't identify themselves outside of that religion, to be questioned about their religion is to be questioned about themselves. Hence why people become upset. No one wants to question one's own fundamental beliefs or standards or moral codes. No one wants to think that they may have been wrong about something.

Of course religion is open to debate. The first debate recorded in the NT, for example, was whether gentile converts had to obey Jewish laws. The objection above comes from a limited understanding of how objection, or questioning, works in different categories of knowledge.

The problem is that religion is by nature not an empirical system. It doesn't propose ideas in the same way science does, so its epistemology is different.
The implementation of empiricism in the newly developed experimental sciences led to a view of knowledge which is still explicitly or implicity held by many people nowadays: the reflection-correspondence theory. According to this view knowledge results from a kind of mapping or reflection of external objects, through our sensory organs, possibly aided by different observation instruments, to our brain or mind.

Epistemology, introduction

Interesting topic!
Bells and Jenyar, thanks for the concise thoughts. :)

What stuns me most when meeting religious people is that they *feel hurt* that I/other people don't think the same way they do. I've noticed this with Catholics, Mormons and Muslims (others I haven't really had a chance to get into that sort of conversation).
Why is this so? Why be hurt if others don't believe the same things you do?

After all, the Christian religion says something like "it will be to his own demise, he who doesn't convert" -- so why should the believers be hurt, if the pagans are the ones making the wrong choice?

Do they feel that their religious faith is lessened if others don't believe the same thing they do?
Do believers feel that their religious faith is being questioned if others don't believe the same thing they do?

Why do they wish that everyone would believe the same thing they do? Why do they want to convert people?

Because those who don't believe are "obstructing" the development of the religious? Taking their place? And the believers have "special rights" here on Earth, and non-believers are trying to take those rights away from them? And believers are simply "better" from non-believers?

"No one wants to think that they may have been wrong about something."
And yet Christians are sending missionaries throughout the world, with the purpose to tell non-believers that they are being wrong about their (non-)beliefs ...

James R said:
Here's a quote from Douglas Adams, of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy fame:

Because religion is the vheicle in which your whole life is carried upon ( at least from an Islamic perspective )

Religion can be questioned, I dont know where did you get this idea from ? I guess from your christian background ( even you are not christian ) but I guess this is the influence of christianity upon the western societies, in islam, it is essential to question and wonder to reach the truth.

In fact, the Prophet of Islam (Peace be upon him ) said:

'' Thinking and wondering in Allah's creation is indeed a form of worship ''

Why do people get so upset when their religious beliefs are questioned?

It is the way you put your questions that upset people not the questions themselves.

What is the difference between, say, their political beliefs and their religious beliefs?

In Islam, there is NO separation between the Mosque and the State.

This question is flawed because you are not asking God himself, are you ??

Rational people have known for a long time that questioning religion would inevitably lead one to noticing the flaws and how it contradicts reality. But religion had always been seen as something that makes people happy and keeps them soldiering on through life. Believing was more usefull than knowing the truth. Its like if some maniacal murderer spilt some milk, you just let it go rather than yelling at him to clean it up, its not worth it.

Same with free will today, its known there is no such thing really if we are being honest but its kind of better if people think and feel like there is.
Its easier basically, thinking about such things takes alot of work and to most people it seems no good can come from it anyway.

Ofcourse, I don't agree with this line of thinking, everyone should just know the truth and we should see what happens from there.

After all, the Christian religion says something like "it will be to his own demise, he who doesn't convert" -- so why should the believers be hurt, if the pagans are the ones making the wrong choice?
I don't know where you got that from - I've never heard it.

I think it's best summed up in Romans 10:
13for, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved." 14How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? 15And how can they preach unless they are sent?​

Jenyar said:
I don't know where you got that from - I've never heard it.

I think it's best summed up in Romans 10:
13for, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved." 14How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? 15And how can they preach unless they are sent?​

Yes, that quote states a more understanding position towards non-believers. But in everyday life, one often faces the typical "you'll go to hell if you don't convert".

RosaMagika said:
Yes, that quote states a more understanding position towards non-believers. But in everyday life, one often faces the typical "you'll go to hell if you don't convert".
HAH! I had a couple of Jehovahs Witnesses come to my door a couple of days ago and they were sooo pushy about why I should convert and I just kept trying to politely move them out of my doorway so that I could close it, but they refused to budge and the nagging began. Just as I was about to tell them to please leave for the 10th time, one of them actually told me that if I didn't convert I'd go to hell. I grinned back at her and told her that hell was exactly where I wanted to go since I worshipped Satan. You should have seen them move out of my doorway, sprint down my driveway and do the ten yard dash down the road away from my house. Was most amusing. :D

I shall really have to keep using that line next time the missionaries come knocking on the door. :D

Actually, an interesting issue of theory vs. practice:
The theory, the holy scriptures, may be quite mild on some things, so that non-believers may find them acceptable.
But the practice, the way those religious people behave (who believe in those very holy scriptures) is something completely different.

So when talking about why is questioning religion forbidden, we are dealing with two different things:
1. the theory, and why the holy scriptures say it is forbidden to question religion,
2. the practice, and why the religious people say it is forbidden to question religion.

Two quite different things.

P.S.
Bells,
That's a funny thing with Satan. LOL ;) I know I am playing devil's advocate, but I think I might actually do it -- and flirt with a missionary. I'll work out a nice tactic. Those Mormon boys seem so horny. I'll show them some hell ... Hihi. :D

I think PM partially sums it up quite nicely:

Because religion is the vheicle in which your whole life is carried upon ( at least from an Islamic perspective )

There is also the built-in 'fear of god' mechanism associated with questioning religion. People have a tendency not question that which they fear.

From this:
proud_muslim said:
I think you need to understand the Arabic mentality and our culture, when it comes to religion, it is RED LINE, you may not insult Islam, you may not degrade Islam by offering other religion..
To this:
proud_muslim said:
Religion can be questioned, I dont know where did you get this idea from ? I guess from your christian background ( even you are not christian ) but I guess this is the influence of christianity upon the western societies, in islam, it is essential to question and wonder to reach the truth.
at the speed of hypocracy.

No I think proud_muslim only said the facts regarding arab views & culture about religion. And then his personal views on the subject.

Its good that PM finds it ok to question religions, contrary to arab mentality and culture.

PM said some things that suggests that he had opened his mind a little. The guy could definitely change for the better.

i dont know where your getting this belief that religion can;t be questioned from. well thats how Islam started anyway by questioning other religions and having people question us. Questioning has benifits for both parties. for me debating the haters in Islam has fufilled a religoius duty upon me and increased my knowledge of Islam. for the other party (haters) it is of benift cos they can learn more about Islam and can express their views

Questioning is not simply learning about another's religion, it is questioning the basic premises, and pointing out lies and hypocracy where they are found as well as dicovering similarities. It is wrong to think this is synonymous with hatred. I think this is due to Islamic culture where frank discussion of religion is taboo. The kind of totally respectful abstract debate where no one gets offended will lead nowhere. Offering other religions is part of this frank debate, because to see things as they really are, one sometimes needs a new perspective. I agree, for both parties, it is a learning experience.

Is God afraid of being questioned? ”
----------------------------------------
This question is flawed because you are not asking God
yes we are,xianity and the bible is supposedly the word of God.
Isnt Quran also the word of your Allah/God?

I asked god and he didn't answer, then i asked "if you are afraid of being questioned say nothing" and he said nothing so i guess he is afraid of being questioned.
Strange. I always thought he didn't exist, but proof is proof.

'' Thinking and wondering in Allah's creation is indeed a form of worship ''

That is why Muslims preserved records of the Hellenic world and learned about ancient gods, philosophy, and science while Christian crusaders were burning books and killing heathens.

I think the reason you can't question religion today is because 1) our constituion offers freedom of religion and this concept has been distorted to mean 'freedom from having your religion questioned' and 2) the fact that 80% of the US is Christian. Questioning becomes amounted to insult and schools are forced to teach 'creation' alongside 'evolution'.

Christianity has a beautiful built-in defense mechanism. One cannot get beyond Christianity unless one questions, but to question, for many, is first to doubt. And to doubt is a sin (now immortalized in the pejorative title Christians generally attach to Thomas). And unlike some religions, Christianity offers no second chances after death, so it's safer to refrain from asking questions altogether.

Because religion is a matter of faith, not grounded in empirical tests or logical proofs, it becomes something that, for the true believer, need not be questioned and in fact cannot be. One can believe that invisible flying cows populate the ionosphere, but since no proof can be offered either way, no question need be either. It's a handy system.

Say what you will about the difference between scientific and religious thought -- at least the former does not frighten its participants with phantoms of hellfire if they happen to stray from the path.

I find it a tad ironic. Cosmic questions, the nature of God and the universe, life on other planets, the meaning of life -- all the mysterious whys are the stuff we know the least about. If anything, the area in which people should be most inquisitive, outgoing, curious, full of wonder, confronted with their own ignorance, and willing to imagine, question, and revel in possibility is instead the area where people are most opinionated, stubborn, utterly certainty of themselves, and oftentimes violently opposed to alternative ideas.

Josh

It's just a ride. - Bill Hicks

(Q) said:
I think PM partially sums it up quite nicely:
There is also the built-in 'fear of god' mechanism associated with questioning religion. People have a tendency not question that which they fear.

This is FLAWED, you CANT fear what you love !! We love Allah almighty, how can we fear what we love !!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Back