why is evil so damned ugly?

mario

Registered Senior Member
Everywhere you see movies about satan and demons they are pictured as extremely UGLY! Why? Why is a different opinion other than god's so terrible and disgusting to look at? Actually god and satan's battle for our souls are kinda similar. God tells us what he expects of us and punishes us if we don't listen. Satan doesn't actually threaten us with anything but tries to lure us into his way of thinking (but I'm not sure why someone would want to live in hell with all that boiling and burning if they side with satan). God wants to overthrow satan...satan wants to overthrow god. Both want absolute power.

God is supposed to be love and peace and everything good. Is satan just the opposite? Does he really want anarchy and strife and ill will? What makes satan want to be like that? Even when he was an angel, was he a bad apple and played tricks on the other angels? Did he have a mean streak? It doesn't make sense that satan wants to be bad just because he gets his jollies from it. How does wanting bad things to happen to us help his cause? If everything disintegrates into chaos and anarchy then satan loses his motivation since he has won...like a virus that invades a person and ultimately kills him, but in so doing the virus also ends up killing itself. I really don't see anything that evil in satan other than he just has different ideas. For example, he wanted adam and eve to eat from the tree of knowledge against god's wishes. Big deal.

So what I guess I am asking is, what makes evil so repulsive if all it is is just another viewpoint?

Which brings me to another question...does everything bad has it's roots in satan if he truly is the "father of destruction"? Or is it just an isolated product of our free will.

I hope I have confused everybody.

religion is the true evil, take a look though history.
the devil is only a entity made up, to suit religious people, when they do bad deeds, so they could get away with it.

Last edited:
Well it's jus a fault of Hollywood, simply feeding the cravings of IDIOT westerners as always..

Demons are spirits, just like Angels. Why would they have a physical being in the first place?

Only in the west does the external appearance reflect the internal disposition..

God wants to overthrow satan...satan wants to overthrow god.

Satan would have to have some sort of power that God didn't have for God to want it. Considering God is omnipotent and actually created Satan, what on earth are you talking about?

So what I guess I am asking is, what makes evil so repulsive if all it is is just another viewpoint?

When someone rapes your daughter and puts her bodyparts in a blender, I will be awaiting your lips to spout this silly statement.

Everywhere you see movies about satan and demons they are pictured as extremely UGLY! Why? Why is a different opinion other than god's so terrible and disgusting to look at?
Yes, but in reality there's very few reports of demons taking physical forms. The reports that I've read is that they are able to take human form or like in the book of Genesis appear as if they were angels of light.

Actually god and satan's battle for our souls are kinda similar. God tells us what he expects of us and punishes us if we don't listen. Satan doesn't actually threaten us with anything but tries to lure us into his way of thinking
This is untrue. Satan is capable of threatening people. And I also believe hell is "created" by Satan.

Hell was created by God as a place for spirits who rejected heaven by rebelling against Him.

Hell could not have been created by Satan since as we see:

“. . . God spared not angels when they sinned, but cast them down to hell, and committed them to pits of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment . . .” (2 Pet. 2:4).

mario said:
Because it isn't 'just another viewpoint'. It is the tendency of God's creation to do what it wasn't designed for. Like a conventional yacht sailing on land or a motorcyle being ridden in water. It's a lot uglier than any little 'Casper' the secular world can muster.

Everywhere you see movies about satan and demons they are pictured as extremely UGLY! Why? Why is a different opinion other than god's so terrible and disgusting to look at?

Marketing.

No, seriously--I'm not joking. If Satan is beautiful, the audience can be easily confused.

As to what makes evil repulsive? Something has to be.

Again, no joke. Remember that compassion for your neighbor, under the right circumstances, can be believed evil. You know, like harboring Jews, or something.

Something strikes a people as repulsive and they make it evil; something strikes a people as evil and they make it ugly.

yeah, in the old days (i.e ancient greece) it was more or less 50/50 on good looking/bad looking evil guys.
e.g. well... evil gods looked good.
... so did most female spirits (with a few exceptions like medusa)
.... whereas hydras and so forth filled the ugly void.

of course, nowadys as tiassa says looking evil puts the idea across faster.

tiassa said:
Again, no joke. Remember that compassion for your neighbor, under the right circumstances, can be believed evil. You know, like harboring Jews, or something.
But when you look at it rationally is it really evil? Once unadulterated compassion is involved I don't think it can be truly regarded as evil.
Something strikes a people as repulsive and they make it evil; something strikes a people as evil and they make it ugly.
The question is; Why do some things strike us as repulsive? 'Something has to be'? Why?

because it was dreamt up, by religious people.

audible said:
because it was dreamt up, by religious people.

What stupidity you show!

Even secular people recognize the presence of evil. Why don't you ask a secular policeman whether or not there are sick, evil people in this world?

Your stupidity surely knows no bounds!

§outh§tar said:
What stupidity you show!

Even secular people recognize the presence of evil. Why don't you ask a secular policeman whether or not there are sick, evil people in this world?

Accolades.

mario said:
Everywhere you see movies about satan and demons they are pictured as extremely UGLY! Why? Why is a different opinion other than god's so terrible and disgusting to look at? Actually god and satan's battle for our souls are kinda similar. God tells us what he expects of us and punishes us if we don't listen. Satan doesn't actually threaten us with anything but tries to lure us into his way of thinking (but I'm not sure why someone would want to live in hell with all that boiling and burning if they side with satan). God wants to overthrow satan...satan wants to overthrow god. Both want absolute power.

God is supposed to be love and peace and everything good. Is satan just the opposite? Does he really want anarchy and strife and ill will? What makes satan want to be like that? Even when he was an angel, was he a bad apple and played tricks on the other angels? Did he have a mean streak? It doesn't make sense that satan wants to be bad just because he gets his jollies from it. How does wanting bad things to happen to us help his cause? If everything disintegrates into chaos and anarchy then satan loses his motivation since he has won...like a virus that invades a person and ultimately kills him, but in so doing the virus also ends up killing itself. I really don't see anything that evil in satan other than he just has different ideas. For example, he wanted adam and eve to eat from the tree of knowledge against god's wishes. Big deal.

Which brings me to another question...does everything bad has it's roots in satan if he truly is the "father of destruction"? Or is it just an isolated product of our free will.

I hope I have confused everybody.
Interesting thread.

I don't think that evil necessarily has to look evil at the outside.

Satan does threaten us.

God allready have absolute power, and allways have had absolute power.

Satan was Gods finest angel.

Satan was jellous of Gods power and rebelled against Him.

Isaiah 14:12-17
12 How you have fallen from heaven,
O morning star, son of the dawn!
You have been cast down to the earth,
you who once laid low the nations!
13 You said in your heart,
"I will ascend to heaven;
I will raise my throne
above the stars of God;
I will sit enthroned on the mount of assembly,
on the utmost heights of the sacred mountain.
14 I will ascend above the tops of the clouds;
I will make myself like the Most High."
15 But you are brought down to the grave,
to the depths of the pit.

16 Those who see you stare at you,
they ponder your fate:
"Is this the man who shook the earth
and made kingdoms tremble,
17 the man who made the world a desert,
who overthrew its cities
and would not let his captives go home?"

Some things on sin:
Romans 7:7-25
7 What shall we say, then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! Indeed I would not have known what sin was except through the law. For I would not have known what coveting really was if the law had not said, "Do not covet." 8 But sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, produced in me every kind of covetous desire. For apart from law, sin is dead. 9 Once I was alive apart from law; but when the commandment came, sin sprang to life and I died. 10 I found that the very commandment that was intended to bring life actually brought death.
11 For sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, deceived me, and through the commandment put me to death. 12 So then, the law is holy, and the commandment is holy, righteous and good. 13 Did that which is good, then, become death to me? By no means! But in order that sin might be recognized as sin, it produced death in me through what was good, so that through the commandment sin might become utterly sinful.
14 We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. 15 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16 And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17 As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18 I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19 For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. 20 Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
21 So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22 For in my inner being I delight in God's law; 23 but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. 24 What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? 25 Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!
So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God's law, but in the sinful nature a slave to the law of sin.

2 Cor 5:21
God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

Romans 6:19-23
19 I put this in human terms because you are weak in your natural selves. Just as you used to offer the parts of your body in slavery to impurity and to ever-increasing wickedness, so now offer them in slavery to righteousness leading to holiness. 20 When you were slaves to sin, you were free from the control of righteousness. 21 What benefit did you reap at that time from the things you are now ashamed of? Those things result in death! 22 But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves to God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life. 23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Last edited:
§outh§tar said:
What stupidity you show!

where else did evil and the devil, first come into being.
through religion, of course.
therefore you make yourself very stupid by your reply dont you.
as it was dreamt up by religion.

Your stupidity surely knows no bounds!, "WOW".

§outh§tar said:
Hell was created by God as a place for spirits who rejected heaven by rebelling against Him.

Got a source to back up that statement? As Judaism doen't have a Heaven per se, I'd love to know where the concept of 'Hell' was introduced. Jews being god's chosen people should know all about Heaven and Hell, but it seems unclear. So when were they revealed, and by whom? A biblical reference would be best.

Evil is measurement of a quality. It has always existed and is just being described by the various religions and code of laws. Ignorance is not stupidity neither is having a different view point. Stupidity is the inability to learn or reason.

Got a source to back up that statement? As Judaism doen't have a Heaven per se, I'd love to know where the concept of 'Hell' was introduced. Jews being god's chosen people should know all about Heaven and Hell, but it seems unclear. So when were they revealed, and by whom? A biblical reference would be best.
The common Jewish (and Christian) conceptions of heaven and angels mostly come from the apocalyptic literature during and after the Babylonian exile (586BC). But they did exist before then. Just look at Jacob's dream in Gen.28, where he mentions "the gate of heaven". They could only look up to "heaven" when they thought of God's "dwelling place" (1 Kings 8:30), but even "the highest heaven" cannot contain God (1 Kings 8:27).

"Hell" as we know it was simply the grave, sheol from where nobody could escape unless God himself gave them life again. The book of Job illustrates this view. This explains why heaven - the Kingdom of God - is equated with eternal life.

As for SouthStar's statement:
Matt.25
41"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.
46"Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."​

Ah, there are references to both heaven and hell, as uttered by the various characters in the OT and NT, but I was after some reference more from the source. Like god, stating he made hell for the purpose southstar mentioned. Otherwise, it's just rhetoric from a bunch of guys, without any divine backing.

God never mentions hell in the Old Testament, but He does mention death - and the punishment He promises for sin has shaped the content of our present "hell". In fact, many people have a problem with the harsh judgments made against Isreal and its enemies. In Matthew 25 it is Jesus speaking - if anyone ever had divine backing, it was him. You should realize that the concepts formed slowly as more and more information became known, and we still don't know much about it. Heaven and hell wasn't revealed in one fell swoop.

Dead is mentioned several times in the OT phlogistician and we can equate this word with spiritual death by means of context.

See:
Daniel 7
26 " 'But the court will sit, and his power will be taken away and completely destroyed forever. 27 Then the sovereignty, power and greatness of the kingdoms under the whole heaven will be handed over to the saints, the people of the Most High. His kingdom will be an everlasting kingdom, and all rulers will worship and obey him.'

Psalm 9
17The wicked shall be turned into hell,
And all the nations that forget God.
18For the needy shall not always be forgotten;
The expectation of the poor shall not perish forever.

See here for more examples from the Old Testament:
http://bible.gospelcom.net/cgi-bin/...rsion=NKJV&searchpage=0&search=sheol&x=12&y=5

The reason hell is not expounded on in the Old Testament is because of the grace of God explained in these verses:

Romans 3:25
Acts 14:16
Acts 17:30

Because it was in God's master plan to bring salvation through Jesus, it would obviously not be in the best interests of those before Jesus Christ to be condemned to hell without a "chance". Now this is where God's grace comes in, because by the many evidences there is "no excuse" for rejecting God. (Rom. 1:20)

This might be of help as well:
http://www.christiancourier.com/archives/ntHell.htm

Tell me if I babbled on and on but didn't answer your question, I do that sometimes and will be happy to readress it if you restate the question for braindead people like moi. :)

Back