Why is can we have more that one wife, from a biblical perspective?

When and who said we could only have one wife? Is there biblical justification for just having one wife? When and where did the ban on plural marriages come from?

Dude, if you even mention the Bible in a positive way on thise forum, you're probably going to get a beating. I personally don't suggest getting your spiritual guidance on this site.

Thanks Seti, to me the New Testiment references seem to be subject to interpretations and therefore weak arguments. Genesis is part of the Pentituch and as such early Jewish followers did not seem to intrepret Genesis as your references have. To the early Jews pologamy appears to be ok and a good solution to the commandment go forth and multiply.
As far as your reference to women having multiple husbands, there is no biblical basis for such a practice. I am just looking at the biblical justifications.

Good question Revolvr, I belive is was an acceptable Hindu practice as well. But the do not practice it today. Mormons do not practice polygamy on earth, but it is something that they would practice in heaven according to their theology. But it is not something they talk about very often.

I personally think pologamy became obsolete as a practical matter versus a theological matter. It may have worked in a period with high male mortality rates and in a society that limited what roles females could fulfill.

Good question Revolvr, I belive is was an acceptable Hindu practice as well. But the do not practice it today. Mormons do not practice polygamy on earth, but it is something that they would practice in heaven according to their theology. But it is not something they talk about very often.

There might be a few Mormons that do actually practice polygamy on this earth but they keep quiet about it because it is illegal in the United States. Every once in a while they show up in the news.

The Mormon Church spilt a hundred years ago..there abouts...over the issue of polygamy. Utah was being settled my non Mormons who brought their values with them. So the Mormons had two choices, fight and die or get rid of polygamy and they chose the later. So all Mormons do not practice polygamy on earth. However, as you point out, there are Mormon sects that have broken with the Church on this issue and continue to practice polygamy. The Mormon Church will quickly excommunicate anyone found to practice polygamy. You can find exmormons who have been excommunicated for that very reason.

There might be a few Mormons that do actually practice polygamy on this earth but they keep quiet about it because it is illegal in the United States. Every once in a while they show up in the news.
M*W: I was following the trial of Warren Steed Jeffs recently on Court TV. He was the head guy, religious leader, or whatever they called him in their 'community.' He arranged plural marriages for his followers, and these people saw them as "celestial marriages," not requiring a marriage license or any legal entanglement. So, that's how they got 'around' the law.

The law gets involved when there are underage girls. In the LDS religion, they 'value' their girl children and do away with their sons who end up living on the streets and prostituting themselves to survive.

Jeffs was FLDS, not LDS. FLDS is one of those former LDS groups that broke away over leadership and polygamy issues. All marriages that occur in a temple are celestial marriages as they are forever and all time...not just until death.

What is the Wicken view on pologamy MW?

Personally I want to marry OLeander because of her views on the subject. :)

Sandy said in another post that she belived in the literal Bible. The Bible is full of examples of holy men with many wives. What happened that caused modern Christians to leave the practice?
Which are those examples, I don't think I've ever read in the Bible that someone had multiple wives and how could that be done if you were to be faithful to your wife?

Moses, Soloman, all of the kings of Isreal, virtually any male figure in the Old Testiment had multiple wives.

I have no problem with polygamy. I can't find a reason why it would be immoral.

I agree, as long as
1) women can be in the catbird's seat, also
2) one must notify all current spouses of any other spouses

As if it now it is legal to have one spouse and sleep around with other people. I can't see where it is in the state's interests to prevent groups of three or more from locking themselves into contracts.

Try Kings ! Solomon is said to have had 700 wives and 300 concubines.

See now, I am man enough to admit that that is just intimidating. I suppose it carries some sort of prestige, but on a practical day to day level. Forget about it. I mean, a concubine, that's about sex. OK. Marriage could be political/kinship centered. Ah, probably even that division is too simple. But still...pass the yohimbe.

See now, I am man enough to admit that that is just intimidating. I suppose it carries some sort of prestige, but on a practical day to day level. Forget about it. I mean, a concubine, that's about sex. OK. Marriage could be political/kinship centered. Ah, probably even that division is too simple. But still...pass the yohimbe.

You could always outsource the sex at a handsome profit, not that I am advising you to become a pimp.

You show me what to read in the bible that forbids polygamy. I cannot read something that does not exist...you idiot! Unless of course if I were like you, delusional, I suppose it would not matter.
If you had read the Bible you would know there is no such reference...now who's the idiot I ask you? We can always hope that one day God will grant you a brain, but I would not hold my breath!

1 Kings 11
1But king Solomon loved many strange women, together with the daughter of Pharaoh, women of the Moabites, Ammonites, Edomites, Zidonians, and Hittites:

2Of the nations concerning which the LORD said unto the children of Israel, Ye shall not go in to them, neither shall they come in unto you: for surely they will turn away your heart after their gods: Solomon clave unto these in love.

3And he had seven hundred wives

Also look in Genisis under Abraham, he had three documented wives.
I looked it up;

1 King Solomon, however, loved many foreign women besides Pharaoh's daughter—Moabites, Ammonites, Edomites, Sidonians and Hittites. 2 They were from nations about which the LORD had told the Israelites, "You must not intermarry with them, because they will surely turn your hearts after their gods." Nevertheless, Solomon held fast to them in love. 3 He had seven hundred wives of royal birth and three hundred concubines, and his wives led him astray. 4 As Solomon grew old, his wives turned his heart after other gods, and his heart was not fully devoted to the LORD his God, as the heart of David his father had been. 5 He followed Ashtoreth the goddess of the Sidonians, and Molech [a] the detestable god of the Ammonites. 6 So Solomon did evil in the eyes of the LORD; he did not follow the LORD completely, as David his father had done.

Intermarriage may have been accepted at that time. But it was not good for Solomon, and he did evil in the eyes of God since the women turned his heart towards other things than God.

I don't think the important part is to do specifically *this* or *that* but to do Gods will, and stay true to Him.

Thank you for showing me the passages.

Back