Why dont i believe in god?

SKULLZ

Banned
Banned
I know how i come to not believing in god,but im wondering:
if there was a god wouldnt IT try to convince me im wrong.I dont see why im that much different to anyone else,and part of my life path ive chosen to tread has been partly due to the fact i dont believe in god.So in fact if someone proved otherwise or i saw a sign id not be the same person.

If there is a god,why do some "know" he exists,while others think otherwise?.

That leads me to something else,if thats the way things work and god does exist then isnt it "his will" that some people believe while others do not?

Even if god does exist why are people convinced he even listens to you,is it not possible to have a creator who cannot examine his creation in microscopic detail?

Is it not possible to lead identical life to a christian without praying?
in fact identical to the point of being the same,if so why bother?

Believing in things i do not feel,see,hear or generally sense is hard,a bit like radiation...you know i only know radiation exists if i have a gieger counter,so is that it all christians/religous people are born with that metaphorical gieger counter in thier head that senses what i dont.

Again i dont see why you should be born with this sense and me without it.
People develop this sense and i dont understand that either.

Is religion a psychological virus?like a brain program error,im begining to think so.

Read the bible for yourself, not what others have to say about the bible.

A suggestion for doing that reading was suggested to me when I first read it. Start at the new testiment, read it through from Matthew to Revelations then the old testiment starting at Malachi, then Zechariah forward through the books to Genesis, so your reading the newer to the older books.

The bible has nothing to do with religion, it does not tell you to pray to a dead lady called Mary to intercede for you. It is about our Creator, his government, his creation and the test of his creation.

Re: reading the OT: That is one bizarre suggestion! For one thing, you are hardly going to understand the context in which Malachi, Zechariah etc were written without having already read the historical parts of the Bible. Secondly, many of the minor prophets and large sections of Isaiah are among the oldest parts of the Bible, several centuries older than Genesis and the Hexateuch.

For a broad historical basis for the Judaic part of the Bible written with a single voice, I'd recommend reading the Chronicles and then Ezra and Nehemiah, skipping all the genealogies of course. The central event here, the Babylonian Exile, is in fact the central event in Jewish history, and myths like the Exodus were devised to reflect it.

Now to SKULLZ:
if there was a god wouldnt IT try to convince me im wrong.I dont see why im that much different to anyone else,and part of my life path ive chosen to tread has been partly due to the fact i dont believe in god.So in fact if someone proved otherwise or i saw a sign id not be the same person.
Well, you're impugning God with human motivations. Not for nothing has the phrase "God moves in mysterious ways" achieved proverbial status. According to what I would refer to as Christian "best practice", God is waiting for you to discover him and come to him. Going out of his way to show you directly would be a denial of free will. God wants you to use the Free Will he gave you to discover Him and enter His kingdom. As an atheist I never use the absence of evidence argument, except to explain my personal viewpoint and how I arrived at it.
If there is a god,why do some "know" he exists,while others think otherwise?.
Some people carry on the same beliefs, unquestioned, that they were given as a child and have grown up with. Other people have had what they would term spiritual experiences. As a child I myself had one of these, the ineffable realisation that Jesus loved me, that he was alive and knew about my presence and totally unconditionally loved me. That was a powerful experience. As a rationalist I rationalise it away - it was only my realisation, and it made me feel good, how could it not? But I wouldn't denigrate the experience that other people have had and prefer to regard as a personal contact with their God.
That leads me to something else,if thats the way things work and god does exist then isnt it "his will" that some people believe while others do not?
Well, different religious denominations have differing views on this - some feel that those who don't believe are condemned to hell fire, some believe that good works are good enough for God even if you're not signed up for the specific religion, and others believe that one of their holiest duties is to convert non-believers. So there isn't really a consistent answer to that question.
Even if god does exist why are people convinced he even listens to you,is it not possible to have a creator who cannot examine his creation in microscopic detail?
But what would be the point of such a Creator? The modern concept of God has to include omnipitence and omnipresence. Anything less would surely not be worthy of action. There are mathematically logical things you can construct that God "could not" do but since he doesn't directly interfere with Earthly events he cannot actually be put to the test. For example, there's a famous thought experiment. God is sitting in a box and can foretell the future. If you write a future event down on a piece of paper and post it into the box, God will either light a green bulb to indicate that the event will happen, or a red bulb to indicate that the event will not happen (God having, of course, perfect predictive powers). To flummox God all that is necessary is for you to write on the piece of paper the following: "In answer to this question, the red light will come on." God is incapable of answering this question correctly, since if the red light comes on, that indicated God's opinion that the red light would not switch on - but it did, but if the green light comes on, that indicates God's opinion that the green light would switch on, which it didn't.
Is it not possible to lead identical life to a christian without praying?
in fact identical to the point of being the same,if so why bother?
If you read various tracts like Gideon bibles and the like which contain good prayers to use in certain situations, I've discovered that those prayers are often written in ways which probably enable the prayer to look at the problems in his life in a different way. So prayers are really for the people who utter them, rather than literally for God's ears. Praying or not praying is a personal choice. I don't believe in God, but faced with the desire for an easy painless death of a seriously ill close relative, I have in fact prayed. But like any good Christian, I believe I did not pray in the expectation that God would do whatever I asked of him. It's simply an expression of deeply held feeling, and for some an expression of their closeness to God.
Believing in things i do not feel,see,hear or generally sense is hard,a bit like radiation...you know i only know radiation exists if i have a gieger counter,so is that it all christians/religous people are born with that metaphorical gieger counter in thier head that senses what i dont.

It's a matter of being open to those kind of thoughts. You are not open to those kinds of thoughts or ways of thinking - about God, or about spirituality - and neither am I. But different people have different thoughts and different feelings, and everybody must resolve their meanings for themselves. If some people believe they are sensing the closeness of God, why not let them? The Christian answer would be that you have to change, you have to be the one who opens up to God - it's not an innate sense you are born with.
Is religion a psychological virus?like a brain program error,im begining to think so.
Religion is the opiate of the people! To my mind it is hardly a coincidence that belief in God (at least in the Western world) has decreased exactly in tandem with the advance of education and literacy. People with no knowledge of the world other than the certainty of death have the need for something there to give purpose to their lives - particularly in olden times when the vast, vast majority of humanity lived in poverty and worked like slaves for very little. But in the developed West, those problems (poverty and hard and harsh working conditions) have largely been solved - seemingly without God's help, only Mankind's own efforts. But the continuation of religious belief (not to mention belief in various pseudosciences as astrology, crystals, chiropractism) indicates that for a great number of sapient beings there has to be something more than the world we see - something other than day to day lives to give our lives some meaning and purpose.

FieryIce said:
The bible has nothing to do with religion, it does not tell you to pray to a dead lady called Mary to intercede for you. It is about our Creator, his government, his creation and the test of his creation.

Apparently you do not know what 'religion' means.

TheERK said:
Apparently you do not know what 'religion' means.

Apparently you do not know either...

but that doesnt matter in this topic...

So, questions are a good thing. Skullz, religion is just a group of ideas. You just have to believe for youself what is what. Example: Some people ask why does God let these things happen? Why does God let this....?

This is because God gave us a choice. It is written that God had regreted creating us in the first place. He knew the choices ahead, but we do not "know" for sure what really went on. God will do what he will do. I cant make him do something.

Which leads to prayer. I, myself, believe that we should be in a constant connection with God. Thinking it more as a person that goes with you than some "sky daddy". Example: Yesterday I was driving home and I had to stop because this person in front of me stopped for no reason at all. And behold hte brakes on the car gave out, no working brakes. So I keep going, but out of nowhere i come to a complete stop for no reason at all. This is when I talk with God thanking him for what he did. I feel like talking to him, just like he was in the car with me. Dont know what he's gonna do, but i "trust" him.

But if you do not believe, it is YOUR choice. God wants you to make the choice to believe or not. If you were to believe, but you didnt make the choice, someone else controls you...would it mean anything to God that he "made" you believe?

SKULLZ said:
If there is a god,why do some "know" he exists,while others think otherwise?
That question could be asked about any relationship like, “How do I know I have a best friend?” Well a best friend if he/she lives nearby you can speak to, listen with, and touch because he/she is close by. You can share thoughts, dreams, fears, etc., with a best friend. They are attentive, supportive, and comforting. There is a mutual respect and care each has for the other. And if anybody asks you can point to your friend. But what if this best friend is on the other side of the world and communication is by letters (e-mail or snail-mail)? Can you still share thoughts, dreams, fears, etc., with them? Will they still be attentive, supportive, and comforting while still at a distance? Will there still be a mutual respect and care each has for the other? If the answer is yes to the previous questions then you “know” you have a best friend. And if someone asks how you know you have a best friend then you can show the letters.
But how did you become friends in the first place? You were friendly to someone who in turn was friendly to you. In due time you found common things that you both shared, and gained a mutual respect and care for each other. In some ways you can say you searched for a friend and communicated with that friend.
In this regard it is the same with God. God has promised that if you seek Him with all your heart you will find Him. He will allow Himself to be shown to you if you are seriously seeking for Him. The only way to “know” God is real is when He communicates with you and shows Himself to you.

De 4:29 - " But from there you will seek the LORD your God, and you will find {Him} if you search for Him with all your heart and all your soul. (NASB)

“His will” is that all men come to an understanding and knowledge of God, that men would want to know God and be a friend to God. But God knows the hearts of men and that they have the freedom of choice to know God or not. God does not control the decisions men make but knows the outcome from the decisions that they do make.

Is it not possible to lead identical life to a christian without praying? in fact identical to the point of being the same,if so why bother?
Is it possible that if I start wearing clothes like a prince and act like a prince that someday I will be a prince? Unfortunately no, since I was not born a prince I have no claim to royalty. It would just be a façade. But God has allowed us to be adopted sons and daughters of God by being spiritually reborn. Through this rebirth we can become children of God.

According to the Bible, every man has some degree of knowledge of God. IMHO, how man has expressed that degree of knowledge depends on whether he wants to explain his thoughts on God (which results in the different views of God in the many religions) or if he wants to expand his knowledge and seek God (which means if there is a God, God must show more of Himself to the person who is seeking Him). For those who do not want to know about God they will suppress the urge to seek Him (using an argument why search for something that does not exist). God will let you find Him if you seek for Him.
IMO, it is more like tuning your antenna to receive the correct radio signal without the static that keeps the message garbled or incoherent.

Religions were made to satisfy the religious nature of man. The question of God’s existence is a personal search and does not necessarily have to involve religious dogmas or doctrines.
Every individual has some knowledge of God “hard-wired” in their brain. Man must think about God. It is part of man’s nature. Whether man expresses that thought, or searches for more information, or suppresses that thought, it is still part of man’s nature to think about God. If the thought flourishes or dies is up to the individual.

FieryIce said:
Read the bible for yourself, not what others have to say about the bible.

A suggestion for doing that reading was suggested to me when I first read it. Start at the new testiment, read it through from Matthew to Revelations then the old testiment starting at Malachi, then Zechariah forward through the books to Genesis, so your reading the newer to the older books.

firstly fiery, you start with the common insult, "Read the bible for yourself".
to discuss the bible/religion you first need some knowledge of the subject.
people become atheist and agnostics, by first studying thealogy.
and secondly it's your aleged creator, not ours.
so try not to be patronising

On BBC Four a new series has just started, apparently a first ever examination of the history of disbelief, or atheism. They included the following wonderful quote:

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then He is not omnipotent.

Is God able, but not willing?
Then He is malevolent.

Is He both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?

Is He neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?

Epicurus c. 300 B.C.E.

On the absence of life after death:

Why should I fear death?
If I am, then death is not. If death is, I am not. Why should I fear that which cannot exist when I do?

These readings were beautifully rendered by Bernard Hill (whom some of you may know as King Théoden of Rohan in the Lord of the Rings movies).

Last edited:
camphlps said:
Apparently you do not know either...

Yes, actually, I do. The things FieryIce mentioned, a supernatural creator and its relationship with the world, have everything to do with religion.

Believing in those things is not "spiritual but not religious", it is religious regardless.

This is because God gave us a choice. It is written that God had regreted creating us in the first place.

Funny how an entity who can see into the future with exact precision regrets one of his own decisions. Have you ever actually stopped to think what the idea of omniscience and omnipotence implies? My guess is no.

Example: Yesterday I was driving home and I had to stop because this person in front of me stopped for no reason at all. And behold hte brakes on the car gave out, no working brakes. So I keep going, but out of nowhere i come to a complete stop for no reason at all. This is when I talk with God thanking him for what he did.

If you conclude that God was responsible for making your brakes work again all of the sudden, then you must admit that he is also responsible for making them fail in the first place (through action or non-action.)

What an idiotic conception of God.

Silas said:
On BBC Four a new series has just started, apparently a first ever examination of the history of disbelief, or atheism. They included the following wonderful quote:

Is God able to prevent evil, but not willing?
Then He is malevolent.

The whence cometh evil?

Then why call him God?

Epicurus c. 300 B.C.E.

On the absence of life after death:

Why should I fear death?
If I am, then death is not. If death is, I am not. Why should I fear that which cannot exist when I do?

These readings were beautifully rendered by Bernard Hill (whom some of you may know as King Théoden of Rohan in the Lord of the Rings movies).
I watched that too, I was trying to write that Epicurus quote all day, so thanks for the text, fantastic.

TheERK said:
If you conclude that God was responsible for making your brakes work again all of the sudden, then you must admit that he is also responsible for making them fail in the first place (through action or non-action.)

What an idiotic conception of God.

You hit the nail on the head there,thats the precise problem,to which many do not see.

True it does not suggest there is no god,although i see many examples of where you have to question benevolence and actual control.

Many answer malevolence by an act of satan,but then i have to ask:
if god created satan (or the concept of evil) then surely god can take satan...albeit EVIL away.

The ONLY answer is that if god created evil then he has to be both good and evil.

I look at nature and survival,i watch nature programs :a shark killing its prey,or a lion,tiger whatever and i dont see anything as good or evil in the natural world,i only really see cause,effect and survival.

If a creator exists he created good,evil and the many shades of grey inbetween.

I suppose its like the old saying goes: you cant make an omelette without breaking some eggs.

SKULLZ said:
I suppose its like the old saying goes: you cant make an omelette without breaking some eggs.

The problem is, if God exists, he should be able to do just that, by definition. Similarly, he should be able to create a world of good, free of evil.

TheERK said:
The problem is, if God exists, he should be able to do just that, by definition. Similarly, he should be able to create a world of good, free of evil.
kneejerk religious response : BUT HOW MISTER, WOULD WE HAVE FREE WILL (WE WOULD BE LIKE WOBOTS)???

To which I answer with a question. Why does one choose evil over good? Because we are insane/stupid/greedy?

WE DIDN'T MAKE OURSELVES KID'S, 'GOD' MADE US, WE CHOOSE EVIL BECAUSE THAT'S THE WAY GOD MADE US

Do you see where this is going? :rolleyes:

Why I don't believe in god?..

God is a human invention out of stupidity, in ancient past there were many gods and science have been at the heels destroying one god after another, the concept of an undestructible god came along, and now we find that people still believe in fairy tales, there's no proof of this entity, there's no identity to this entity, all excussess that have been given only boils down to this: We are incompetent, to understand the nature of god, we are feble to the wonders of god, we are nothig without god. BULL SHIET!!.

One has to be blind, not to see what the human race has been able to accomplish, and further more the advancement came quicker as we left the notions of gods behind, and the secular took over, since the Reinessance.

Godless.

M*W: Question: "Why I don't believe in god?...".
Answer: "Because I believe in sciforums."

Question: "Why do I believe in sciforums?"
Answer: "Because if god existed, we'd already know the
truth."

Question: "Sciforums is 'the way, the truth, and the life."
Answer: "Therefore, there is no god but sciforums."

'Ask sciforums and ye shall receive...'.

TheERK said:
The problem is: Some people seem to beleive omnipotence means being able to break all the rules, sure. But if God were intelligent and cared for us at all, would that make any sense? How could we then recognise order and purpose in our universe/existence and thus infer His presence? God cares for us and our free will in His creation. The only way everything can be possible is if all rules are broken, obviously. If there was a world without rules or some form of order to it then we wouldn't be able to understand it, obviously. Thus God may be omnipotent and in fact possess the ability to do everything, but we are here, and if we are then God has to limit His ability so that the world can be at all tolerable to us. If anyone sees any way God can work around this then it is upon them to offer such suggestions. Saying "God should be able to do this" doesn't prove anything. Omnipotence doesn't mean being able to do the impossible. It means being able to do everthing that is possible (whatever that is).

Last edited:
SKULLZ said:
if god created satan (or the concept of evil) then surely god can take satan...albeit EVIL away.
Which God will do when He passes judgment on Satan.
But what will He do with the evil that resides in men’s hearts? He will pass judgment on men as well.

The ONLY answer is that if god created evil then he has to be both good and evil.
If a creator exists he created good,evil and the many shades of grey inbetween.
Depends on what you mean by “evil”. Do you mean “moral evil”, which is opposite of being morally good and is a choice of the will? Or something that causes calamity, which is another definition of evil and is the opposite of peace?
Maybe you are referring to the verse as it appears in King James Bible.

Isaiah 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

The Hebrew word for evil in this verse, “ra”, is a translation for "sorrow," "wretchedness," "adversity," "afflictions," "calamities," but never a translation for sin (according to Scofield Reference Notes). It is not translated as moral evil (James 1:13), but in contrast to "peace" in the parallel clause, war, disaster (compare Psalms 65:7, Amos 3:6).

The New King James version translates it this way.

Isaiah 45:7 I form the light and create darkness, I make peace and create calamity; I, the Lord, do all these things.' NKJV

And what is the complete context of this verse?

Isaiah 45:5-10
5 "I am the LORD, and there is no other; Besides Me there is no God. I will gird you, though you have not known Me; 6 That men may know from the rising to the setting of the sun That there is no one besides Me. I am the LORD, and there is no other, 7 The One forming light and creating darkness, Causing well-being and creating calamity; I am the LORD who does all these. 8 "Drip down, O heavens, from above, And let the clouds pour down righteousness; Let the earth open up and salvation bear fruit, And righteousness spring up with it. I, the LORD, have created it. 9 "Woe to {the one} who quarrels with his Maker-- An earthenware vessel among the vessels of earth! Will the clay say to the potter, 'What are you doing?' Or the thing you are making {say,} 'He has no hands'? 10 "Woe to him who says to a father, 'What are you begetting?' Or to a woman, 'To what are you giving birth?' "(New American Standard Bible)

So the verse shows how evil is created, using the example of light and darkness in the previous clause. If light is removed, darkness is created. If peace is removed, calamity ensues (evil is created). As the removal of light causes darkness, so is the removal of God’s peace causes calamity, i.e., evil.

And the knowledge of good and evil does not imply God is both good and evil. It just means He knows what is right and what is wrong.

TheERK said:
He did that, but the humans disobeyed God and they allowed evil to take over.

MarcAC said:
The problem is: Some people seem to beleive omnipotence means being able to break all the rules,sure. But if God were intelligent and cared for us at all, would that make any sense? How could we then recognise order and purpose in our universe/existence and thus infer His presence? God cares for us and our free will in His creation. The only way everything can be possible is if all rules are broken, obviously. If there was a world without rules or some form of order to it then we wouldn't be able to understand it, obviously. Thus God may be omnipotent and in fact possess the ability to do everything, but we are here, and if we are then God has to limit His ability so that the world can be at all tolerable to us. If anyone sees any way God can work around this then it is upon them to offer such suggestions. Saying "God should be able to do this" doesn't prove anything. Omnipotence doesn't mean being able to do the impossible. It means being able to do everthing that is possible (whatever that is).

lets repeat this for you marcAc.

Is God able, but not willing?
Then He is malevolent.

Then whence cometh evil?

Then why call him God?

Epicurus c. 300 B.C.E.

and obviously your version of omnipotent is diferent to the rest of humanity.

om·nip·o·tent ( P ) Pronunciation Key (m-np-tnt)
Having unlimited or universal power, authority, or force; all-powerful.
One having unlimited power or authority
Omnipotent God.

and as for free will, here is a sample of a post by mustafhakofi
The holy bible describes God as omniscient, omnipotent and loving ?. Most Christians are very fond of saying how loving their god is?. If a god is all powerful, and all knowing, then he knows exactly what a person will do before he even creates them?. Before the Christian god creates a man with a soul, he knows whether or not that man will go to Hell. He is omniscient and He created Hell?. The Christian god then makes people anyway, even though he knows he will send most of them to Hell?. Free Will as defined by the Christians is therefore quite completely impossible by their definition of their god?. Why would a loving god make men and send them to hell for being exactly what he created them to be? He is perfect, so he certainly doesn't do it by accident. A god can not be loving, omniscient, omnipotent and send people to Hell. They are mutually exclusive.

you can read the rest at

http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=40065

it seems quite clearly, your on a diferent planet

also, highlighted in green, are conflicting.

mis-t-highs said:
...and obviously your version of omnipotent is diferent to the rest of humanity.

om·nip·o·tent ( P ) Pronunciation Key (m-np-tnt)
Having unlimited or universal power, authority, or force; all-powerful.
One having unlimited power or authority
Omnipotent God.
I notice this has been a recent trend, anywhow, persuasion by repitition is rather void of any substance. You can't brainwash me.:p

Anyway, no;
Nowhere does the definition you quoted even allude to omnipotence as doing the impossible. If something's absolutely impossible it just can't be done. Where do you see it referring to everything being possible? Can a human breathe water instead of air? No. Of course, people with your mindset will then say; "God should be able to make that possible so God doesn't exist!" However, before you make such a silly statement you should examine the possibility of being human, as defined (a mammal), and breathing water.

And also, the statements;
"Some people seem to believe omnipotence means being able to break all the rules,sure." and "The only way everything can be possible is if all rules are broken, obviously." are in now way conflicting. The only way they'd be conflicting is to say that well, everything was possible with regards to humans - not the case as I've shown. Now how'd you come up with that conflict thing? You just state they conflict and don't give a reason?

If a god is all powerful, and all knowing, then he knows exactly what a person will do before he even creates them?
Yes,
Before the Christian god creates a man with a soul, he knows whether or not that man will go to Hell.
Yes,
He is omniscient and He created Hell?
becasue hell is a necessity because of people like you and me too I guess. Why? Because free will allows you a choice to either go with God or go without God. Hell is a place without God. God's loving presence is removed from hell. You choose to go without God, you choose to go to hell. Simple. Hell is a result of your choice. If you didn't choose to go without God, hell wouldn't be needed.
The Christian god then makes people anyway, even though he knows he will send most of them to Hell?
God loves people. He had to create them with free will in order for them to be anything more than keyboards which you hit keys on to type. Without free will we'd be drones, in fact, we wouldn't even be conscious. We'd be just like stars. Can a star think or recognise or choose to do anything? A consequence of our free will is our wrogn choices. God doesn't send people to hell. People choose to go there.
Free Will as defined by the Christians is therefore quite completely impossible by their definition of their god?
No, then.
Why would a loving god make men and send them to hell for being exactly what he created them to be?
No, men aren't what God created them to be. Since they have free will, they can choose what they want to be; children of God, or not.
He is perfect, so he certainly doesn't do it by accident. A god can not be loving, omniscient, omnipotent and send people to Hell. They are mutually exclusive.
No, because they choose to go there. If you choose to go to hell that means you want to go to hell. God gives you what you want. Why complain?
...it seems quite clearly, your on a diferent planet
Quite different from the one you're on.
also, highlighted in green, are conflicting.
No, show me how first, then I'll consider the statement.

Back