Why does the government hide UFO's?

No...realizing falsification is a completely superfluous action after a claim has already been verified does not help me understand falsifiability any better.
Verified does not mean true or proven.
SR is verified, many times. It is not true or proven. It is simply a model (albeit a model that works spectacularly well.)
It is still - and always will be - falsifiable.
It makes predictions. For it to remain a viable theory its predictions must continue to be borne out by observation under whatever new tests we come up with.

Verified does not mean true or proven.
SR is verified, many times. It is not true or proven. It is simply a model (albeit a model that works spectacularly well.)
It is still - and always will be - falsifiable.
It makes predictions. For it to remain a viable theory its predictions must continue to be borne out by observation under whatever new tests we come up with.

"Definition of verify
  • : to prove, show, find out, or state that (something) is true or correct"
Source: Merriam-Webster's Learner's Dictionary

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/verify

No thanks.

This started with you wishing to understand an important tool in the sceintific method, but at some point you passed a judgement. It became you not wanting to understand, and in fact, dismissing it unless you can be convinced.

That's not looking for a discussion, that's looking for an argument.

I have no need for that.

No thanks.

This started with you wishing to understand an important tool in the sceintific method, but at some point you passed a judgement. It became you not wanting to understand, and in fact, dismissing it unless you can be convinced.

That's not looking for a discussion, that's looking for an argument.

I have no need for that.

Right...so because you have no support for your claim that "verify" doesn't mean to prove to be true or correct, you're backing out. You know where the exit is.

Right...so because you have no support for your claim that "verify" doesn't mean to prove to be true or correct, you're backing out. You know where the exit is.
This was a teachable moment. You were learning something new, others were helping you learn. At some point, you decided you'd heard enough that you could pass judgment on it - even though you still haven't understood it.

I have no obligation to help someone understand science who is only interested in belligerence.

This was a teachable moment. You were learning something new, others were helping you learn. At some point, you decided you'd heard enough that you could pass judgment on it - even though you still haven't understood it.

I have no obligation to help someone understand science who is only interested in belligerence.

LOL! You don't even know what the definition of "verify" is. How can you be so arrogant as to claim to be teaching me anything? You're not my teacher ...that much is sure.

"Inductivism is the traditional model of scientific method attributed to Francis Bacon, who in 1620 vowed to subvert allegedly traditional thinking. In the Baconian model, one observes nature, proposes a modest law to generalize an observed pattern, confirms it by many observations, ventures a modestly broader law, and confirms that, too, by many more observations, while discarding disconfirmed laws. The laws grow ever broader but never much exceed careful, extensive observation. Thus freed from preconceptions, scientists gradually uncover nature's causal and material structure......

"Asserting a variant of hypotheticodeductivism termed falsificationism, Karl Popper from the 1930s onward was the first especially vocal critic of inductivism and verificationism as utterly flawed models of science. In 1963, Popper declared that enumerative induction is a myth."====https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inductivism

"Karl Popper in 1963 had declared, "Induction, i.e. inference based on many observations, is a myth. It is neither a psychological fact, nor a fact of ordinary life, nor one of scientific procedure".[12] Popper's 1972 book Objective Knowledge—whose first chapter is devoted to the problem of induction—opens, "I think I have solved a major philosophical problem: the problem of induction".[12]======https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enumerative_induction

So there ya have it! Either you believe in the inductivism of the scientific method, or the falsificationism of Popper, but you can't have both. Interesting what happens when you actually read up on this shit.

Last edited:
Magical Realist:

In general, any theory "X exists" is unfalsifiable; it is also very unscientific.

These are bad examples, that are leading us off track of what the purpose of a falsifiable theory is.
This is correct.

I picked bad examples, and it seems they are causing Magical Realist further confusion. I'll address the specifics in a moment, but allow me to make a few general comments first.

The first thing to say is that scientific theories are more than simple statements of existence, like "Neutrinos exist". I have already pointed that out to some extent above, but let me be more specific. A scientific theory that says neutrinos exist is more likely to be a specific statement in regard to an experiment, like this one:

If we measure the beta decay of a carbon 14 nucleus, it will be found that the detectable decay products consist of an electron and a Nitrogen 14 nucleus. If a macroscopic quantity of carbon 14 is allowed to decay over a period of time, the measured abundance of nitrogen 14 in the sample will be seen to increase over time (in a mathematically specified way), and detectable beta radiation (high-energy electrons) will be observed from the sample. If the beta decay of a carbon 14 nucleus is observed under conditions in which the momenta and energy of the various particles can be measured (experimental conditions could be specified in detail) then it is predicted that momentum and energy will not be conserved unless an additional decay product is postulated. That decay product will be called a "neutrino". It will be of low or zero mass and have no electrical charge. Only a single such particle will be produced in each single decay of the carbon 14 nucleus.
Of course, we could go on and elaborate the conditions under which the postulated neutrinos might be directly detected (e.g. in a solution of cleaning fluid buried in an old mine, perhaps). We could also specify numerous other conditions in which neutrinos would be expected to occur.

In other words, "X exists" is not likely to be a very good scientific theory, in general. Better science says "Under carefully specified conditions A, B and C, you will find X, or else indirect evidence of X consisting specifically of W,Y and Z."

This kind of science is obviously falsifiable. If we set up the experiment under conditions A, B and C, and we don't find the specified evidence of X, then the theory will be falsified.

The idea of risk is a good one. The above formulation takes a risk that X does not exist as described. It suggests a particular test. If the test is done and X is not found, the theory is falsified.

Compare a bald statement like "Ghosts exist", or even "Neutrinos exist". Without more, this is not science, because it is not falsifiable. We haven't been specific enough about the conditions under which the ghost/neutrino or indirect evidence of it will be observable. We take no risk of the claim being disproved by experiment or observation. Therefore, at this level we're not doing science.

Last edited:
(continued...)

In light of the above, let me now address some of the points made by Magical Realist.
Never know. Maybe a few neutrinos got created from cosmic rays interacting with earth's atmosphere or from the big bang or even from the potassium of your own body. Seems we could never rule them out completely.
Right. Maybe pixies each carry around a neutrino or two in their pixie handbags. Anything is possible. Therefore, the bare statement "neutrinos exist" is unfalsifiable and unscientific.

On the other hand, a statement like "If you go into the garden at midnight you will see a pixie with a handbag" is falsifiable. Were we to go into the garden as directed and fail to see the pixie, then this particular pixie hypothesis would be falsified.

Now, suppose you were to say "Ah, but of course pixies don't appear in the garden when human beings are present". Then you're back to the bare claim that "pixies exist (because I say so)", and you're not doing science any more. What if we set up a video camera in the garden? Will that detect the pixies? If so, then we might be back to doing science again. If there's some excuse (pixies are invisible to video cameras), then to be doing science we need a better test.

Remember, the whole point of this "falsifiability" business is to invent a test of the theory that takes risks. It has to be, in principle, possible that the test - and therefore the theory - will fail.

Magical Realist said:
Right. So the statement "black holes exist", even if defined specifically, is unfalsifible.
No. If defined specifically, the theory is quite likely to be falsifiable. For example "A black hole is defined to be X, Y and Z. If you point your telescope towards P, Q or R, you will find certain objects with characteristics A, B and C. These are black holes, by the previously-given definition."

This theory is obviously falsifiable. If I point my telescope at Q and don't see something with characteristics A, B and C, then the theory, as given, will be proven false. The theory takes a risk by making a very specific prediction.

Take a simpler example. "Water boils at 100 degrees Celcius (under specified pressure conditions)". I can test this statement in many different ways, which is in part what makes it quite a powerful scientific statement. The statement takes an obvious risk. If I have a correctly calibrated thermometer, a stove and a saucepan of water, and I find that under the specified conditions water boils at 47 degrees (or, indeed, any temperature other that 100 degrees), then the theory is falsified.

The best theories in science take not just one risk, but many risks. They could, in principle, be falsified by a multitude of different observations or experiments. And yet, they haven't been, even over the course of hundreds of years and countless numbers of experiments (which can be seen as attempts at falsification).

So what exactly would be a wrong fossil that would falsify man's evolution from apes, given the already abundant evidence we have for that?
Suppose somebody were to discover in a cave somewhere evidence of a truly alien species. Suppose the DNA is analysed and compared to human beings and apes, and it is found that human DNA, but not ape DNA, contains the "alien" DNA. Then, the theory that humans evolved solely from apes would be falsified.

Coming back to the real world, it should be noted that there are hominid fossils that have been found that have turned out not to be ancestors of modern human beings. At one time, the theory that these fossils did represent human ancestors would have been a live possibility. But the science made specific predictions. If you test X, and these fossils are human ancestors, you will find Y and you won't find Z. See the risk? At some point, for these particular fossils, the theory was actually falsified. But it was falsifiable right from the start, before any tests were done. (See the difference?)

So how exactly would you falsify the claim that there is dark matter in my garage? And how would this be any different from saying there is an invisible dragon in my garage? In both cases we are positing entities that are undetectable. Hence they are both unfalsifiable. Not detecting it iow would not prove it isn't there.
The theory of the dragon says that there's a dragon only in your garage. The dragon has no other effects other than in your garage, presumably. In fact, when we start drilling down we find that the dragon doesn't actually seem to do anything detectable. The theory that the invisible, impotent dragon is in your garage takes no risks. No test is suggested that could ever prove it false.

On the other hand, the theory of dark matter specifies tests that go beyond the confines of your garage. It says, for example, that if you look at the rotation curves of galaxies you will see a particular shaped curve that cannot be explained without postulating invisible mass. The specific distribution of dark matter has not yet been pinned down. It is possible that dark matter does not actually exist in your garage, though it is also possible that it does. Part of the task of scientists is to nail down tests to decide such questions one way or the other.

The point about dark matter is that the theory of dark matter is already taking other risks, even if right now we have no way to directly test whether it is in your garage. Moreover, in principle there will eventually be a definitive test to see whether there's dark matter in the garage.

If you want to be pedantic, you might argue that "Dark matter exists in my garage" is currently an unfalsifiable conjecture. However, a statement like "Dark matter exists in and around galaxies" is falsifiable right now.

You might like to compare "Alien spacecraft are currently visiting Earth." Is there any test that would falsify this claim? If not, then it doesn't mean that alien spacecraft aren't visiting Earth. It just means that we're not doing science when we talk about alien spacecraft currently visiting Earth. This is the same as the dragon in your garage. The fact that it is unfalsifiable doesn't mean the dragon doesn't exist. It just means the dragon is not a scientific theory.

No...realizing falsification is a completely superfluous action after a claim has already been verified does not help me understand falsifiability any better.
Are you unable to distinguish the state of verification of a theory before it is tested from the state after such a test?

It remains the nonsense it was when Popper first proclaimed it.
It's a useful idea. It has numerous problems. It is not the be all and end all of deciding what is science and what isn't. But when you're just starting out in the philosophy of science, it's an important idea to start with. One thing it certainly isn't is nonsense. If you think it's nonsense then you're either closed-minded or you're not getting it.

There are scientific claims that are unfalsifiable, and there are unscientific claims that are falsifiable.
Can you give us a few examples?

There is even a distinction to be made between testable and falsifiable.
Please explain the distinction.

I understand falsifiability well enough to know it fails as an adequate standard for deciding anything about a claim or a theory.
What it is supposed to help with is the demarcation between science and non-science. It does not decide whether claims or theories are true or false. Do you understand that?

So there ya have it! Either you believe in the inductivism of the scientific method, or the falsificationism of Popper, but you can't have both. Interesting what happens when you actually read up on this shit.
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, as they say.

You've spent a few minutes or at best a few hours looking into this stuff for the first time, and all of a sudden you're an expert.

The problem of induction is a well-established one in the field of epistemology. It remains unsolved, despite Popper's over-enthusiastic claim from 1972. Similarly, as I have said, Popper's own theory of falsificationism has been criticised by philosophers on a number of different grounds. It is not the be all and end all in solving what is known as the demarcation problem (deciding science from non-science). Also, it should be noted that there are other theories of science that don't rely on induction or falsificationism, so the idea that one must choose one or the other is a false dichotomy.

Previously I believe you have quoted Chalmers, What is this thing called Science? That is a good introduction to the philosophy of Science, if you're interested.

It's worth noting, also, that many scientists have little to no interest in the philosophy of science. They regard that field as something done by philosophers, firmly in the field of "humanities" rather than science. The scientists, by and large, just want to get on with doing science, whatever it is!

Last edited:
You even admitted you were wrong for calling me confused.
No, I didn't. I said that I may have slightly misunderstood what you had been saying. I even said at the same time that I still think you're confused about falsifiability - hence the on-going and drawn out discussion on the issue.
Now you're defending it? What's so hard about just not commenting on how I am at all? Does it make you feel superior to put people down? You're certainly not qualified to divine my state of mind at any time. Just quit ad homing me, ok? I know everybody else even mods turns these threads into diatribes about how confused or deluded or dishonest or crazy I am, but that doesn't make it ok. Oh..and I simply said there is some confusion on the terms testability and falsifiability. I never claimed that anyone in particular was confused like you did and then even admitted being wrong about it.
MR - I did not argue you with any ad hominem. The comment that you were confused was a specific statement about a specific matter which you are demonstrably confused about (the concept of falsifiability) - hence the drawn out discussion on the matter. The comment was in no way in lieu of any argument but rather a justified observation and response to you claiming that there was confusion among others between falsifiability and testability. That you didn't name anyone specific is irrelevant: you accused others in general of confusion. That is what it means when you say that "there is confusion...". But this is also not an ad hominem attack. Please try to learn what an ad hominem attack is before you throw around accusations of such. I have no concern what your state of mind is unless, for example, it is germaine to the discussion through such observations as you seeming "confused" about specific things.
But at the moment you seem quite happy to accuse people in general of being confused, yet cry foul when the same language you use is turned against you, you thinking that it being directed at you specifically is an ad hominem. Somewhat hypocritical, MR, and simply wrong with the accusation of it being an ad hominem.

No, I didn't. I said that I may have slightly misunderstood what you had been saying. I even said at the same time that I still think you're confused about falsifiability - hence the on-going and drawn out discussion on the issue.
MR - I did not argue you with any ad hominem. The comment that you were confused was a specific statement about a specific matter which you are demonstrably confused about (the concept of falsifiability) - hence the drawn out discussion on the matter. The comment was in no way in lieu of any argument but rather a justified observation and response to you claiming that there was confusion among others between falsifiability and testability. That you didn't name anyone specific is irrelevant: you accused others in general of confusion. That is what it means when you say that "there is confusion...". But this is also not an ad hominem attack. Please try to learn what an ad hominem attack is before you throw around accusations of such. I have no concern what your state of mind is unless, for example, it is germaine to the discussion through such observations as you seeming "confused" about specific things.
But at the moment you seem quite happy to accuse people in general of being confused, yet cry foul when the same language you use is turned against you, you thinking that it being directed at you specifically is an ad hominem. Somewhat hypocritical, MR, and simply wrong with the accusation of it being an ad hominem.

Just quit talking about how you think I am. You were wrong that I was confused and you only intended it as an insult of my state of mind. I'm not confused about anything. I'm simply doubting something you put unjustifiable faith in as usual, which is always what gets your gander up and so resorting to unsolicited comments about my state of being. There is nothing germaine to the conversation about accusing me of being anything. I don't need you to tell me how I am. You aren't me so you have no clue about that. Are we clear?

Last edited:
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, as they say.

You've spent a few minutes or at best a few hours looking into this stuff for the first time, and all of a sudden you're an expert.

The problem of induction is a well-established one in the field of epistemology. It remains unsolved, despite Popper's over-enthusiastic claim from 1972. Similarly, as I have said, Popper's own theory of falsificationism has been criticised by philosophers on a number of different grounds. It is not the be all and end all in solving what is known as the demarcation problem (deciding science from non-science). Also, it should be noted that there are other theories of science that don't rely on induction or falsificationism, so the idea that one must choose one or the other is a false dichotomy.

Previously I believe you have quoted Chalmers, What is this thing called Science? That is a good introduction to the philosophy of Science, if you're interested.

It's worth noting, also, that many scientists have little to no interest in the philosophy of science. They regard that field as something done by philosophers, firmly in the field of "humanities" rather than science. The scientists, by and large, just want to get on with doing science, whatever it is!

Good to see you went and read that Wikipedia article I directed you to and so are backing off on the whole falsificationism thing. See...you can learn something afterall James.

Falsifiability is a property of a statement, a claim, a theory etc, irrespective of the truth or otherwise of that statement/claim/theory. Do you accept that? Do you accept that it doesn't matter if the statement is true, has already been proven true, that it can still be a falsifiable statement.
If you are indeed 6-foot tall, and it is subsequently proven to everyone, the claim that you are 6-foot tall is still falsifiable.
It remains the nonsense it was when Popper first proclaimed it. There are scientific claims that are unfalsifiable, and there are unscientific claims that are falsifiable.
Not according to Popper. To him if it is not falsifiable then it is unscientific. This is not to say that it is therefore untrue, just simply that it is not science. To him the issue of falsifiability is a demarcation between science and non-science
There is even a distinction to be made between testable and falsifiable. I understand falsifiability well enough to know it fails as an adequate standard for deciding anything about a claim or a theory. Testable yes. Falsifiabilty not so much.
It decides, according to Popper, whether the claim or theory is scientific or not.
But as I said you could never be sure all life was tested.
Which is why I used the specific wording I did - wording that you then highlighted.
It seems we agree on this matter - so why are you wording it as an argument??
I would agree with that with the caveat that any unfalsifiable claim might one day be falsifiable given the vast possibilities open to future technology.
Hence there is a difference between being unfalsifiable due to practical matters and being absolutely unfalsifiable.

Just quit talking about how you think I am. You were wrong that I was confused and you only intended it as an insult of my state of mind.
I am sorry that you read it as such. I have yet to be convinced that I was wrong.
I'm not confused about anything. I'm simply doubting something you put unjustifiable faith in as usual, which is always what gets your gander up...
"always what gets your gander up..." Care to support that assertion? For someone who tries not to make things personal you're doing a fine and dandy job, MR.
...and so resorting to unsolicited comments about my state of being. There is nothing germaine to the conversation about accusing me of being confused. Are we clear?
If you weren't confused about what falsifiability meant this entire discussion would have been over almost as soon as it started, and it would now be focussed entirely on whether what Popper called science (i.e. that which can be falsified) is in line with what is otherwise commonly held to be science (or some other line of philosophical discourse).
So to wrap this up: you accused people in general of confusing falsifiability and testability. I commented that there was no confusion other than perhaps in your understanding. From there you have taken umbrage at this somehow being an ad hominem attack on your state of mind.
There really is nothing more to say on this particular matter.

[ meta debate ]

I originally let this go, hoping to keep some constructive discussion going, but that ship has sailed.

I commented that there was no confusion other than perhaps in your understanding. From there you have taken umbrage at this somehow being an ad hominem attack on your state of mind.
Add to the list of things he needs to Google up on: ad homs.

An ad hom is not just any criticism. The crux of an ad hom, as a logical fallacy, is that it is a criticism that is not relevant to the discussion.

If you claim 2+2=5, your opponent is certainly free to criticize that since it has been presented to the debate for scrutiny. Likewise, if you are asking questions about something (such as the meaning of falsifiability) - and subsequently dismiss it (for whatever reason, including failure to understand) - an opponent is within his rights to criticize your dismissal.

That is not a criticism of your person - which would be a distraction from the debate topic - it is a criticism of the validity of your grasp of the debate topic. That is most assuredly within the scope of the debate. Your opponent has not criticized anything that you did not explicitly offer to the debate - namely, your hasty dismissal.

MR, this is not the first time you've used terms you don't fully understand. If you're going to accuse someone of committing an ad hom, it behooves you to know what an ad hom is - and what it is not.

[ /meta debate ]

If you weren't confused about what falsifiability meant this entire discussion would have been over almost as soon as it started
True.

Last edited:
If you weren't confused about what falsifiability meant this entire discussion would have been over almost as soon as it started, and it would now be focussed entirely on whether what Popper called science (i.e. that which can be falsified) is in line with what is otherwise commonly held to be science (or some other line of philosophical discourse).

Uh no..questioning falsificationism as I am doing here and presenting objections to it's claims isn't evidence of anyone's confusion. It is a debate regarding the validity of Popper's methodology, which many philosophers also take issue with. Are they confused too for having long discussions about this subject? And again, calling someone confused IS an ad hominem in that it seeks to undermine an argument by attacking the person. IE. if I am "confused", noone will take my statements seriously. At least that is what you hope people here will conclude. Unfortunately you have nothing to support your claim that I'm confused. Is it an unfalsifiable claim? lol!

"Ad hominem (Latin for "to the man" or "to the person"[1]), short for argumentum ad hominem, is a logical fallacy in which an argument is rebutted by attacking the character, motive, or other attribute of the person making the argument, or persons associated with the argument, rather than attacking the substance of the argument itself."--https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

Back