Why do you believe in Jesus?

nds1

Registered Senior Member
Why do you believe in Jesus?

Or more specifically:

Why do you believe that a man named Jesus existed that was the Son of God?

Last edited:
The scriptures reveal Him. It’s as simple as that. His message, deeds and the Word of God. He is the fulcrum point of Gods plan of salvation for us.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

IceAge,

Did this experience involve God or Jesus speaking to you in an audible voice? Or was it a miracle which you believed could not have been anything other than a God, or Jesus?

Personally, I had an intersting experience one time. I was driving towards a busy intersection and the traffic light was red. I was on a slight downward slope going about 40 mph. When I tried to brake for the light, apparently the brakeline snapped off because it was rusty. The pedal went right to the floor and I was going about 45 mph now at a red light on a busy intersection. The last thing I wanted to do was go right through the light because there were buildings on both corners of the street I was on and I had no idea what cars were coming. The speed limit of the road I was intersecting was 40 mph.

Anyway, I ended up aiming the car to the right and slammed into a cement building which was on the corner of the road. I hit it at a 45 degree angle so it straightened the car back out and directed me back over the road I didn't want to go over, but at a much slower speed, so no one hit me.

The point is, I didn't plan on doing what I did and aiming the car at the building. That thought never consciously entered my mind. I just did it. In fact, I was thinking about trying to make a U-Turn because I was in panic mode. Clearly a U-Turn would have been impossible at 40 mph on a two lane road. I don't know whether it was a right or wrong move to drive into the building. I don't know what would have happened if I went right through the light and took my chances. What I do know is that I didn't conciously make the decsion to do what I did. It was as if some other force was controlling my hands.

Could it have been instinct? Possibly. Could it have been God? Possibly.

IceAge,

Did this experience involve God or Jesus speaking to you in an audible voice? Or was it a miracle which you believed could not have been anything other than a God, or Jesus?

Personally, I had an intersting experience one time. I was driving towards a busy intersection and the traffic light was red. I was on a slight downward slope going about 40 mph. When I tried to brake for the light, apparently the brakeline snapped off because it was rusty. The pedal went right to the floor and I was going about 45 mph now at a red light on a busy intersection. The last thing I wanted to do was go right through the light because there were buildings on both corners of the street I was on and I had no idea what cars were coming. The speed limit of the road I was intersecting was 40 mph.

Anyway, I ended up aiming the car to the right and slammed into a cement building which was on the corner of the road. I hit it at a 45 degree angle so it straightened the car back out and directed me back over the road I didn't want to go over, but at a much slower speed, so no one hit me.

The point is, I didn't plan on doing what I did and aiming the car at the building. That thought never consciously entered my mind. I just did it. In fact, I was thinking about trying to make a U-Turn because I was in panic mode. Clearly a U-Turn would have been impossible at 40 mph on a two lane road. I don't know whether it was a right or wrong move to drive into the building. I don't know what would have happened if I went right through the light and took my chances. What I do know is that I didn't conciously make the decsion to do what I did. It was as if some other force was controlling my hands.

Could it have been instinct? Possibly. Could it have been God? Possibly.

Maybe Someone wanted to keep you alive? But maybe it was just instinct taking control in a time of great stress?

You see most experiences like that can be embraced as a proof of God by those who believe. But it also can be explained away as instinct or something else by those who do not want to believe.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

I was real hung-over one morning, and had been watching Robertson and Jim and Tammy Faye for a few months, drinking beer and mocking them, but that morning, real hung over and depressed, I just said "Oh God," in a repentent needy attitude, and right then, a beam of light started about a foot from the left side of my forehead and went into to my head, and it was then as if scales came off of my eyes, everything was brighter and clearer than I had ever seen, and zero hangover, that's the kicker, it could not have been alcohol induced because the hang-over was completely gone, and I was hopping around the room like a four year old at the Christmas tree.

I do believe that your being genuine, and that what you experienced could definetly be a sign from God.

I found the end of the movie "The Da Vinci Code" very interesting. Tom Hanks talks about the story where he fell into a well and somehow survived. He stated something like: "I might not have been alone in that well. It all comes down to what you believe."

Immediately I was recalled of my small car accident incident. The same idea was present there as well.

I guess its because I have been held down to the point that I would do the same thing to let another boy or girl know it is not what they deserve

Surely all these things dicate a belief in god in general, i think the original question was why do you believe Jesus to be summonded son of God.

I was real hung-over one morning, and had been watching Robertson and Jim and Tammy Faye for a few months, drinking beer and mocking them, but that morning, real hung over and depressed, I just said "Oh God," in a repentent needy attitude, and right then, a beam of light started about a foot from the left side of my forehead and went into to my head, and it was then as if scales came off of my eyes, everything was brighter and clearer than I had ever seen, and zero hangover, that's the kicker, it could not have been alcohol induced because the hang-over was completely gone, and I was hopping around the room like a four year old at the Christmas tree.

Hurry go to a psychiatrist, you are having a bipolar disorder:

What Are the Symptoms of Bipolar Disorder?
Bipolar disorder causes dramatic mood swings—from overly "high" and/or irritable to sad and hopeless, and then back again, often with periods of normal mood in between. Severe changes in energy and behavior go along with these changes in mood. The periods of highs and lows are called episodes of mania and depression.

Signs and symptoms of mania (or a manic episode) include:
Increased energy, activity, and restlessness
Excessively "high," overly good, euphoric mood
Extreme irritability
Racing thoughts and talking very fast, jumping from one idea to another
Distractibility, can't concentrate well
Little sleep needed
Unrealistic beliefs in one's abilities and powers
Poor judgment
Spending sprees
A lasting period of behavior that is different from usual
Increased sexual drive
Abuse of drugs, particularly cocaine, alcohol, and sleeping medications
Provocative, intrusive, or aggressive behavior
Denial that anything is wrong
http://www.nimh.nih.gov/publicat/bipolar.cfm#bp1

The scriptures reveal Him. It’s as simple as that.

I would ask therefore whether you then also believe in Gilgamesh or one of thousands of other gods/demni-gods? If your entire basis is that "it's been written about, it's that simple" then surely you must believe in a myriad of god like beings?

If not, why not?

The Bible passages fit seamlessly

Not really, no.

the Gilgamesh Flood is obviously a bastardization of the accurate account in Genesis

It can't be. It was written at least 1,500 years before the genesis account. I know you'd like to believe the biblical account was the original, but unfortunately it isn't - regardless to your personal wants.

All but the first "these are the generation of's....." in Genesis were written by eye witnesses

To know that you must have been an eye witness of these eye witnesses. Or are you saying that an author claims he was an eye witness and that's good enough for you?

You cannot pull the "eye witness" nonsense in this case. It wont work.

And once again.. the Utnapishtim flood account was written over a millennia and a half before the genesis account. You can't dispute that, sorry.

Just because we have an earlier but sloppy account of the Deluge from other than the Jews doesn't mean the Jewish patriarchs weren't also compiling records at that time, and the format of "these are the generations (origins) of..." in the Genesis account bespeaks eyewitness accounts, reported on cuneiform tablets (the Hebrew word for to write, is to cut in, into clay tablets), signed off on at the bottom, in a collophon, traditionally signed by the owner or scripter of the tablet.

Moses had a stack of these tablets, and edited and redacted them as needed.

Just because we have an earlier but sloppy account of the Deluge

Please provide something of substance to support your claim that the earlier deluge stories were "sloppy". Bet you can't.

Jewish patriarchs weren't also compiling records at that time

Abraham, (a Sumerian), hadn't founded the jews until after the flood. god didn't give him his orders until the flood had come and gone. Before this the records that would have been kept were by Sumerians and several other cultures - but no jews because there weren't any.

In the very first pages of the bible we see that the garden of eden was in Sumeria... This means that the very first people to start "compiling records" were Sumerian of origin. No jews involved.

Moses had a stack of these tablets, and edited and redacted them as needed.

He did? Where's the evidence?

Back