Why do we need a God?

Do we need [there to be] God?

• Total voters
I don't care who he is, his ideas lack the support of evidence and so can be safely dismissed until such a time as that changes.

Which say that aliens came and visited the planet for.....oh that's right, they say no such thing. There's also the complete lack of evidence that our planet has ever been visited by any sort of ET, ever, hence why his claims can be dismissed.

Oh they do huh? Do they identify which region of the sky these beings supposedly came from? And where did all of the physical evidence of such landings go?

No, I'm not in denial, I simply refuse to accept things on the basis of hearsay alone.

So they came from the sky but from the planet??? Huh? Unless you're referring to a rather huge portion of the sky, in which case that tells us nothing. I'd have thought that the aliens would have known that people at that time possessed enough astronomy for them to point to a star and say "we came from there". Apparently these aliens are brilliant enough to overcome the laws of physics and travel here, but not smart enough to recognize intelligence in other species(something that even we can do). Such a shame that our galactic(for the odds of them being intergalactic are as close to zero as makes no difference) neighbors are such dunces.

And why do we need ETs to explain the Baalbeck?

You know, hearsay, such as tales from an ancient land about beings coming from the sky.

Ok then please point out what is wrong with my example and why its not an adequate response to the fixed or short-livedness of technological benefits?
You haven't even begun to discuss how improved graphic cards on computers surmounts the standard philosophical issues of seeking happiness through gratifying the senses. (not that you could begin to discuss how it surmounts it, since the length and breadth of the activity is completely incorporated within the realm of gratifying the senses)

Or maybe you are simply confusing demographic market saturation points for leisure pursuits/activities (like playing computer games or watching movies) for increased happiness.

Last edited:
So they came from the sky but from the planet??? Huh? Unless you're referring to a rather huge portion of the sky, in which case that tells us nothing. I'd have thought that the aliens would have known that people at that time possessed enough astronomy for them to point to a star and say "we came from there".

not star but the twelfth planet

Apparently these aliens are brilliant enough to overcome the laws of physics and travel here, but not smart enough to recognize intelligence in other species(something that even we can do).

what do mean ?

Such a shame that our galactic(for the odds of them being intergalactic are as close to zero as makes no difference) neighbors are such dunces.

I don't see them this way at all

they did manipulate our genes

And why do we need ETs to explain the Baalbeck?

who could move 1200 ton blocks at that time

You know, hearsay, such as tales from an ancient land about beings coming from the sky.

tales are talk

cuniforms are written history at that time

You haven't even begun to discuss how improved graphic cards on computers surmounts the standard philosophical issues of seeking happiness through gratifying the senses. (not that you could begin to discuss how it surmounts it, since the length and breadth of the activity is completely incorporated within the realm of gratifying the senses)

Or maybe you are simply confusing demographic market saturation points for leisure pursuits/activities (like playing computer games or watching movies) for increased happiness.

Or maybe if one could accurately qualify the ramifications of ultrasensory input, the required explanatory matrix would become evident.

@river --

The twelfth planet eh, and where would that be? I'm pretty sure that we'd have some inkling that it's there, what with it's gravitational disturbances and all. Given that we've discovered literally no trace of such a planet, and given that we've been looking quite hard for quite a while, I'd be willing to bet that these "histories" are merely ancient examples of artistic license.

You say the cuniforms are history, and they may well be, however unlike you I'm not willing to accept everything they say on faith.

Or maybe if one could accurately qualify the ramifications of ultrasensory input, the required explanatory matrix would become evident.

Surely you've noticed that no lasting happiness is to be found in the pursuit of pleasures that are inherently fleeting?

@wynn --

Speak for yourself. The memory of a "fleeting pleasure" can bring happiness for years, even decades.

@wynn --

For the most part, yes. However my memory is still subject to the same foibles as everyone else's. Although all of that is irrelevant to the fact that my one example(in this case a couple of my memories) completely destroys your statement, which could only be a statement of opinion in the first place.

Last edited:
More like "fleeting pleasure can lead to or induce lasting pleasure". Unlike you I don't like black and white statements.

I have to admit that as a teen and also as a student of computer animation and CGI, I am much more dependant on recent technology than my father is. But I dont think the 'technology with debase the humanity of experience' argument is valid - idk but social network interacts dont seem worse than an actual visit, technology would make us like the wall-e people, just as the first wheel didn't make us weak, lazy idiots who dont do any physical work - we would indeed become different, but not necessarily worse.

It's not that technology would inherently debase the humanity of experience.

If technology is used for nothing other than simply for polishing up the practices of eating, sleeping, fighting, mating - then what use is it?

/.../
"And just because of the simple fact that you are human, you find yourself heir to an inherent unsatisfactoriness in life which simply will not go away. You can suppress it from your awareness for a time. You can distract yourself for hours on end, but it always comes back--usually when you least expect it. All of a sudden, seemingly out of the blue, you sit up, take stock, and realize your actual situation in life.

There you are, and you suddenly realize that you are spending your whole life just barely getting by. You keep up a good front. You manage to make ends meet somehow and look OK from the outside. But those periods of desperation, those times when you feel everything caving in on you, you keep those to yourself. You are a mess. And you know it. But you hide it beautifully. Meanwhile, way down under all that you just know there has got be some other way to live, some better way to look at the world, some way to touch life more fully. You click into it by chance now and then. You get a good job. You fall in love. You win the game. and for a while, things are different. Life takes on a richness and clarity that makes all the bad times and humdrum fade away. The whole texture of your experience changes and you say to yourself, "OK, now I've made it; now I will be happy". But then that fades, too, like smoke in the wind. You are left with just a memory. That and a vague awareness that something is wrong.

But there is really another whole realm of depth and sensitivity available in life, somehow, you are just not seeing it. You wind up feeling cut off. You feel insulated from the sweetness of experience by some sort of sensory cotton. You are not really touching life. You are not making it again. And then even that vague awareness fades away, and you are back to the same old reality. The world looks like the usual foul place, which is boring at best. It is an emotional roller coaster, and you spend a lot of your time down at the bottom of the ramp, yearning for the heights.

So what is wrong with you? Are you a freak? No. You are just human. And you suffer from the same malady that infects every human being. It is a monster inside all of us, and it has many arms: Chronic tension, lack of genuine compassion for others, including the people closest to you, feelings being blocked up, and emotional deadness. Many, many arms. None of us is entirely free from it. We may deny it. We try to suppress it. We build a whole culture around hiding from it, pretending it is not there, and distracting ourselves from it with goals and projects and status. But it never goes away. It is a constant undercurrent in every thought and every perception; a little wordless voice at the back of the head saying, "Not good enough yet. Got to have more. Got to make it better. Got to be better." It is a monster, a monster that manifests everywhere in subtle forms.

Go to a party. Listen to the laughter, that brittle-tongued voice that says fun on the surface and fear underneath. Feel the tension, feel the pressure. Nobody really relaxes. They are faking it. Go to a ball game. Watch the fan in the stand. Watch the irrational fit of anger. Watch the uncontrolled frustration bubbling forth from people that masquerades under the guise of enthusiasm, or team spirit. Booing, cat-calls and unbridled egotism in the name of team loyalty. Drunkenness, fights in the stands. These are the people trying desperately to release tension from within. These are not people who are at peace with themselves. Watch the news on TV. Listen to the lyrics in popular songs. You find the same theme repeated over and over in variations. Jealousy, suffering, discontent and stress."
/.../

Why bother?

Back