Why do Christians eat pork?

i don't know any jews who actually follow kosher laws, except my old neighbor who was a rabbi. it's more symbolic for him anyway. they recognize that the rules are health and safety issues and we have refrigeration now. i'm sure the original followers of christ kept kosher as did christ himself. it's just unnecessary now. they do it on holidays much like christians sacrifice meat during lent even though it is no longer a luxury item like it was in those days.

Since this post is about Christians and the Bible, permit me to quote from it, please :)

Col.2:16So don't let anyone condemn you for what you eat or drink, or for not celebrating certain holy days or new-moon ceremonies or Sabbaths. 17For these rules were only shadows of the real thing, Christ himself.

Abrahamic laws were part of the education of God's people. It was important to distinguish between what is holy and what is not. The cleaning rituals and roles of priests, everything had significance. These laws were seeds from which their meanings could bear fruit. People need things to be visible and tangible so they can understand them. The implications only became evident after Jesus explained them. You can look at these laws as "definitions" or archetypes.

A practical result was that in an age where a disease could wipe away whole towns, or people travelling in isolation, like the Israelites, these laws probably averted many deaths without them even knowing it.

The people were made to understand that there was such a thing as holy and unholy, and that there is a "difference between the unclean and the clean", and that it wasn't just a physical issue, but a spiritual one (I'm sure thy realized the importance of washing without being told). When the dimension of 'law' is added, it becomes possible to be 'guilty'. These concepts are important for out theology.

Now that people could discern between clean and unclean things, God could make the meaning clear: We should make anything unclean part of ourselves! When God accepted the world who were still (according to Jewish laws) living in sin - the "gentiles" - he pronounce everything acceptable except sin (evil that comes from within and makes a person unclean (Mark 7:14))

The Bible also says somewhere else: you can justify anything, but not everything is good for you. See where this is going?

1 Tim.4:3They will say it is wrong to be married and wrong to eat certain foods. But God created those foods to be eaten with thanksgiving by people who know and believe the truth. 4Since everything God created is good, we should not reject any of it. We may receive it gladly, with thankful hearts. 5For we know it is made holy by the word of God and prayer.

And exhibit C, just before the first gentiles were baptized:

Peter's Vision
Acts 10:9 About noon the following day as they were on their journey and approaching the city, Peter went up on the roof to pray.
10 He became hungry and wanted something to eat, and while the meal was being prepared, he fell into a trance.
11 He saw heaven opened and something like a large sheet being let down to earth by its four corners.
12 It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles of the earth and birds of the air.
13 Then a voice told him, Get up, Peter. Kill and eat.
14 Surely not, Lord! Peter replied. I have never eaten anything impure or unclean.
15 The voice spoke to him a second time, Do not call anything impure that God has made clean.
16 This happened three times, and immediately the sheet was taken back to heaven.

There is a lot more to say, but this is the basis of it.

Originally posted by Jenyar
Since this post is about Christians and the Bible, permit me to quote from it, please :)

Col.2:16So don't let anyone condemn you for what you eat or drink, or for not celebrating certain holy days or new-moon ceremonies or Sabbaths. 17For these rules were only shadows of the real thing, Christ himself.

This is very weak rebut againest not eating pork. Christ mentioned that pork is unclean and prohibited, and so if he wanted to make it legal again, he should have named it by name as clean and ok for eating.

Your post is like a person telling others that you should not kill or steal in one verse....then going in another verse and saying but not to let anyone condemn you for anything that you do. There is no contradiction, you should not eat pork, but noone should condemn you for it, only god will judge you.

heflores:

The law you live by, is the law you'll be judged by. You should not eat pork. If that's easy for you - good, because it is possible for you to live without eating pork. But the same law says you shall not murder, and even calling someone an idiot is like killing him, because it's the seed of hatred that eventually ripens and bears fruit. So if you don't eat pork, but you don't obey the rest of the laws, you are just as guilty as if you did eat it.

I believe (based on what God did say - read the rest of the post), that what goes into my mouth is not as important anymore as what comes out of it. Now that my guilt for eating pork has been removed, along with my other sins, I am free to thank God through my way of life. And believe me, it is much harder to know that your responsibility extends past a simple law and into your heart.

Heflores, it would be wrong for you to eat pork, and it would be wrong for me to dishonor this when I am in your company. But you should be content with the fact that God will judge me according to his wisdom. God's commandments still stand firm in my life.

Jenyar,
Agree, I love it when we leave some matters in the hand of god and decide that he'll be the judge instead of the selfrightous, I'm exempt from judgement because I'm baptised, I'm saved already although I have not finished living yet.....
Bravor Jenyar, this is the spirit of creating tolerance between religions that I'm talking about.

Jenyar, nice nuggets of wisdom

The law you live by, is the law you'll be judged by.

the same law says you shall not murder, and even calling someone an idiot is like killing him, because it's the seed of hatred that eventually ripens and bears fruit.

what goes into my mouth is not as important anymore as what comes out of it.

But you should be content with the fact that God will judge me according to his wisdom.

Simple, succinct and beautiful. So refreshing to read. Tip of the hat to heflores also for accepting the olive branch.

Why do Christians eat pork.?

The laws in the Old Testement were "shadows and types of the New Testement.......

These laws were not done away with, but were magnified when Jesus came to represent the true meaning / as opposed to mearly the shadow of that meaning in the Old Testement.

Jesus said He did not come to do away with the law, and ever jot and title would be fulfilled, which he did...and he magnified it...(notice I did not say He fulfilled every prophcey in the whole bible while He was here in His lifetime) there is a difference, He did fulfill and magnify every Jot and Title, of the law.

You say "thou shall not murder" but I say unto you, if your angry with your brother without a cause.... you've murdered already in your heart.

Thou shall not comit adultry, but if you look upon a women to lust after her, you've commited adultry alredy in your heart....

Jesus said;

Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. 18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Read the rest of Mathew the 5th chapter for the entire explaination.

See he magnified it from simple mindless physical tasks of the law...(the letter of the law killeth)... to the true, complete meaning that was meant to reflect a conversion of the heart...(He the Son sets free is free indeed) which shall be in a people who've been redeemed by the Blood of the Lamb with the word of God "written on the table of thier hearts"

Jesus scolded the priests in his day for lack of understanding this...He said "art thou a master of Israel , and know not these things.

He called them "whited sepatures, full of dead mens bones, hypocrites, a generation of vipers because outwardly they did the law, but inwardly (where it counts) they had no revelation of God and were doing this because they were told by someone to, without wanting to from their heart, see...
No revelation, just like their father Cain....He was very religious too, but worshiped God in vain, without revelation.

This applies to the eating of pork, the keeping of Sabbath, the circumcision, and many other customs the Jews had made into tradition that they held above the works of the messiah when he came and withstood him...
Paul went over this issue in detail.
It was a concern with the Jews.

Acts 10:28 - and he said to them, "You yourselves know how unlawful it is for a Jew to associate with or to visit any one of another nation; but God has shown me that I should not call any man common or unclean

The pig as an unclean animal was a type of the Gentiles a un-clean people.......until Jesus.

Romans 11:1 - I say then, Hath God cast away his people? God forbid. For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin

Romans 11:11 - I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy.

Acts 11:5 I was in the city of Joppa praying; and in a trance I saw a vision, something descending, like a great sheet, let down from heaven by four corners; and it came down to me. 6 Looking at it closely I observed animals and beasts of prey and reptiles and birds of the air. 7 And I heard a voice saying to me, 'Rise, Peter; kill and eat.' 8 But I said, 'No, Lord; for nothing common or unclean has ever entered my mouth.' 9 But the voice answered a second time from heaven, 'What God has cleansed you must not
call common.'

Romans 14:14 - I know and am persuaded in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean in itself; but it is unclean for any one who thinks it unclean.

Paul was careful not to offend those of "weak faith" who lack understanding, But said He was afraid of "those" who keep certain days or forbid the eating of meats, and make tradition of the washing of hand and pots and pans into the basis of their religion, and yet do not understand the meaning of these types and shadows....... the deep things of God.....

This is the basis for the main difference between christianity, and the faith of Islam and Judism.

These two do not accept the work Jesus acomplished as the "messiah", and the True light He brought to the world to make men free, as apposed to the partial, by the Law(in shadows and types), which came to condemn mankind of sin.

Last edited:
Re: Why do Christians eat pork.?

[QUOTE
This is the basis for the main difference between christianity, and the faith of Islam and Judism.

These two do not accept the work Jesus acomplished as the "messiah", and the True light He brought to the world to make men free, as apposed to the partial, by the Law(in shadows and types), which came to condemn mankind of sin. [/B][/QUOTE]

I see the faith of christianity is one of obvious discrimination. One that says that god is an evil discriminate god who condemn half of humanity that came prior to Jesus by giving them different rules than he gave the rest of humanity.......This is the exact part about christianity that I can't stand.......and the outragous Jesus is god crap.

Nobody said that but you - It's the same opportunity to all.
Some will accept it, some will not. Those who've never heard will be given the chance.

Last edited:
Though I think this has nothing to do with the subject in my eyes, I just think it's funny :: Pork and humans have similar smell and taste when cooked. I've heard this and actually experienced it for myself when I had corrective eye laser surgery. Ever smell your eye ball cooking? Like fresh bacon!

Many think that the Mosaic Laws are for health, govt. policy, etc. while the Ten Commandments is the moral law. At the time pork had lots of diseases (still does) and people were shitty cookers.

There is Peter's dream where God tells him that he made the unclean foods clean.

Most Laws of Kosher are in the Talmud which is not Scripture.

Answer to the original question

one_raven,

First of all, the Old covenant has passed away. It is NOT anymore to be followed.

Jesus talked about that. Here:

Luke 5:36-39
"36 And He was also telling them a parable: "No one tears a piece of cloth from a new garment and puts it on an old garment; otherwise he will both tear the new, and the piece from the new will not match the old.
37 "And no one puts new wine into old wineskins; otherwise the new wine will burst the skins and it will be spilled out, and the skins will be ruined.
38 "But new wine must be put into fresh wineskins.
39 "And no one, after drinking old wine wishes for new; for he says, 'The old is good enough.'"

If you read this passage before, you probably didn't understand it. Well... now you do (hopefully)... :)

This is the New Testament concerning food:

Mark 7:18-20
"18 And He said to them, "Are you so lacking in understanding also? Do you not understand that whatever goes into the man from outside cannot defile him,
19 because it does not go into his heart, but into his stomach, and is eliminated?" (Thus He declared all foods clean.)
20 And He was saying, "That which proceeds out of the man, that is what defiles the man. "

So it is ok to eat this kind of food.

Back