Why do Christians eat pork?

one_raven

God is a Chinese Whisper
Valued Senior Member
I am not trying to start an argument here.
I am trying to learn.
Honestly.

Why don't Christians follow Kosher food preparation practices?

In Genesis, God said we should not eat meat at all.

Then, in Leviticus, he changed his mind.

He said we COULD eat SOME limited meat, but only if it is prepared under very strict conditions.

Is there some place later in the Bible when he recants again?
I can't find it.

I don't understand why Christians do not abide by Mosaic law regarding food preparation.

Can anyone explain?

Last edited:
Good point.
It seems as though modern christians take what is convenient for them from the bible. They have altered and changed it to the point where they use the bible as an excuse to be an irresponsible human being. At least that is what it looks like from the outside, I'm sure they aren't knowingly doing this but over time certain aspects of christianity get absorbed by their subconcious' while others do not and this uninformed view gets passed on through generations, changing all the time.
By the end it can get fairly skewed, almost to the point where an unbiased observer could see it as "evil"...

I think your taking the Bible a bit too literally in that your assuming it is the word of God. It was written by people trying to make their way in the world and recording the world so others could follow it. Some may have been divinely inspired and some may not. I suspect that the works that were chosen and compiled in the Bible as we know it were those that were deemed to be inspired.
In Genesis, God said we should not eat meat at all.

Then, in Leviticus, he changed his mind.
Your assuming that God actually said both of these things.

Its nukem remember me in "um hello"they deactivated my and i cant get back in with my old name pleas help me!!

Originally posted by Charles Fleming
Your assuming that God actually said both of these things.

I'm not assuming that.
Christians do (or at least claim to).

The Bible is supposedly the divinely inspired word of God.

The Bible claims that both of those passages were the words spoken by God.

Originally posted by the E.M.T
Its nukem remember me in "um hello"they deactivated my and i cant get back in with my old name pleas help me!!
What the hell do you expect me to do?
LOL

I don't know man, sounds rough, doesn't your password work?
I'm out of ideas, this truely is a sad day in the history of mankind:(

God can't just change his mind after supposidly saying all this.

Lev.11
[7] And the swine, though he divide the hoof, and be clovenfooted, yet he cheweth not the cud; he is unclean to you.
Deut.14
[8] And the swine, because it divideth the hoof, yet cheweth not the cud, it is unclean unto you: ye shall not eat of their flesh, nor touch their dead carcase.
Isa.65
[4] Which remain among the graves, and lodge in the monuments, which eat swine's flesh, and broth of abominable things is in their vessels;
Isa.66
[3] He that killeth an ox is as if he slew a man; he that sacrificeth a lamb, as if he cut off a dog's neck; he that offereth an oblation, as if he offered swine's blood; he that burneth incense, as if he blessed an idol. Yea, they have chosen their own ways, and their soul delighteth in their abominations.
[17] They that sanctify themselves, and purify themselves in the gardens behind one tree in the midst, eating swine's flesh, and the abomination, and the mouse, shall be consumed together, saith the LORD.
1Mac.1
[47] Set up altars, and groves, and chapels of idols, and sacrifice swine's flesh, and unclean beasts

Somebody put the Bible together. Your going to take their word, and the word of two conflicting writers, that both of these things were said by God??

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Somebody put the Bible together. Your going to take their word, and the word of two conflicting writers, that both of these things were said by God??
I agree. The Bible was assembled from many texts over some time, what we know as the Bible being compiled after the New Testament apostles had died. Alot of stuff was changed or left out to fit what a certain group or person wanted. Consider the King James, for example. Several books were left out because they did not consider them important. With all this, it's hard to tell if these contradictions were the fault of God and his prophets, or someone translating and deciding what should be left out.
I don't understand why Christians do not abide by Mosaic law regarding food preparation.
The Law of Moses was fulfilled in Christ. Once he came, that law was no longer valid, because he would give a new law.

Does God change his mind...? NO !
Heb. 13:8
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever......

The laws in the Old Testement were "shadows and types of the New Testement.......

These laws were not done away with, but were magnified when Jesus came to represent the true meaning / as opposed to mearly the shadow of that meaning in the Old Testement.

Jesus said He did not come to do away with the law, and ever jot and title would be fulfilled, which he did...and he magnified it...(notice I did not say He fulfilled every prophcey in the whole bible while He was here in His lifetime) there is a difference, He did fulfill and magnify every Jot and Title, of the law.

You say "thou shall not murder" but I say unto you, if your angry with your brother without a cause.... you've murdered already in your heart.

Thou shall not comit adultry, but if you look upon a women to lust after her, you've commited adultry alredy in your heart....

Jesus said;

Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. 18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Read the rest of Mathew the 5th chapter for the entire explaination.

See he magnified it from simple mindless physical tasks of the law...(the letter of the law killeth)... to the true, complete meaning that was meant to reflect a conversion of the heart...(He the Son sets free is free indeed) which shall be in a people who've been redeemed by the Blood of the Lamb with the word of God "written on the table of thier hearts"

Jesus scolded the priests in his day for lack of understanding this...He said "art thou a master of Israel , and know not these things.

He called them "whited sepatures, full of dead mens bones, hypocrites, a generation of vipers because outwardly they did the law, but inwardly (where it counts) they had no revelation of God and were doing this because they were told by someone to, without wanting to from their heart, see...
No revelation, just like their father Cain....He was very religious too, but worshiped God in vain, without revelation.

This applies to the eating of pork, the keeping of Sabbath, the circumcision, and many other customs the Jews had made into tradition that they held above the works of the messiah when he came and withstood him...
Paul went over this issue in detail.
It was a concern with the Jews.

Acts 10:28 - and he said to them, "You yourselves know how unlawful it is for a Jew to associate with or to visit any one of another nation; but God has shown me that I should not call any man common or unclean

The pig as an unclean animal was a type of the Gentiles a un-clean people.......until Jesus.

Romans 11:1 - I say then, Hath God cast away his people? God forbid. For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin

Romans 11:11 - I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy.

Acts 11:5 I was in the city of Joppa praying; and in a trance I saw a vision, something descending, like a great sheet, let down from heaven by four corners; and it came down to me. 6 Looking at it closely I observed animals and beasts of prey and reptiles and birds of the air. 7 And I heard a voice saying to me, 'Rise, Peter; kill and eat.' 8 But I said, 'No, Lord; for nothing common or unclean has ever entered my mouth.' 9 But the voice answered a second time from heaven, 'What God has cleansed you must not
call common.'

Romans 14:14 - I know and am persuaded in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean in itself; but it is unclean for any one who thinks it unclean.

Paul was careful not to offend those of "weak faith" who lack understanding, But said He was afraid of "those" who keep certain days or forbid the eating of meats, and make tradition of the washing of hand and pots and pans into the basis of their religion, and yet do not understand the meaning of these types and shadows....... the deep things of God.....

This is the basis for the main difference between christianity, and the faith of Islam and Judism.

These two do not accept the work Jesus acomplished as the "messiah", and the True light He brought to the world to make men free, as apposed to the partial, by the Law(in shadows and types), which came to condemn mankind of sin.

Romans 5:13
"For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law"

Read Romans 7:7-25 for a more complete explaination of Sin and the Law, and grace.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Gifted
The Law of Moses was fulfilled in Christ. Once he came, that law was no longer valid, because he would give a new law.

Wasn't the Ten Commandments part of Masaic Law?
Are they also now no longer valid?

Nah, it was much more petty than all that.

There was a big falling out in those early times, both in terms of politics, and just simple bloody-minded obstinacy, at a time when the Christians wanted to distance themselves from the authority of the times.

One of the biggest changes was to move the Sabbath from the 7th day to the 1st day.

Like most things Christian, a complete muddle minded move.

I still haven't heard a satisfying aswer to my original question.

How do Christians justify not following Kosher food preparations put forth in Leviticus?

Does anyone have any scriptures in which it is pointed out that those laws no longer apply?

Sorry, TheVisitor, but what you put down there really doesn't answer the question.
Not for me, anyway.

If you want to quote scripture that directly addresses the nullifying of Mosaic food preparation laws, please do.

Your interpretations seem to me to be a stretch at best.
Maybe something got lost between the way you interpret it and the way you described that interpretation to me.

I will read Romans 7 tonight and maybe I will find what I am looking for there.
Thanks for the tip.

Until then...
Does anyone have any scriptures that DIRECTLY address why Christians do not abide by Kosher food preparation practices?

Originally posted by Blackstone
I wonder why is "eating pork" have been such a big Deal in the abrahamic Religions :rolleyes:

Because God said so in Leviticus 11
24 And for these ye shall be unclean: whosoever toucheth the carcass of them shall be unclean until the even.

25 And whosoever beareth aught of the carcass of them shall wash his clothes, and be unclean until the even.

26 The carcasses of every beast which divideth the hoof, and is not cloven-footed, nor cheweth the cud, are unclean unto you: every one that toucheth them shall be unclean.

27 And whatsoever goeth upon his paws, among all manner of beasts that go on all four, those are unclean unto you: whoso toucheth their carcass shall be unclean until the even.

28 And he that beareth the carcass of them shall wash his clothes, and be unclean until the even: they are unclean unto you.

29 These also shall be unclean unto you among the creeping things that creep upon the earth; the weasel, and the mouse, and the tortoise after his kind,

30 and the ferret, and the chameleon, and the lizard, and the snail, and the mole.

31 These are unclean to you among all that creep: whosoever doth touch them, when they be dead, shall be unclean until the even.

32 And upon whatsoever any of them, when they are dead, doth fall, it shall be unclean; whether it be any vessel of wood, or raiment, or skin, or sack, whatsoever vessel it be, wherein any work is done, it must be put into water, and it shall be unclean until the even; so it shall be cleansed.

33 And every earthen vessel, whereinto any of them falleth, whatsoever is in it shall be unclean; and ye shall break it.

34 Of all meat which may be eaten, that on which such water cometh shall be unclean: and all drink that may be drunk in every such vessel shall be unclean.

35 And every thing whereupon any part of their carcass falleth shall be unclean; whether it be oven, or ranges for pots, they shall be broken down: for they are unclean, and shall be unclean unto you.

36 Nevertheless a fountain or pit, wherein there is plenty of water, shall be clean: but that which toucheth their carcass shall be unclean.

37 And if any part of their carcass fall upon any sowing seed which is to be sown, it shall be clean.

38 But if any water be put upon the seed, and any part of their carcass fall thereon, it shall be unclean unto you.

39 And if any beast, of which ye may eat, die; he that toucheth the carcass thereof shall be unclean until the even.

40 And he that eateth of the carcass of it shall wash his clothes, and be unclean until the even: he also that beareth the carcass of it shall wash his clothes, and be unclean until the even.

41 And every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth shall be an abomination; it shall not be eaten.

42 Whatsoever goeth upon the belly, and whatsoever goeth upon all four, or whatsoever hath more feet among all creeping things that creep upon the earth, them ye shall not eat; for they are an abomination.

43 Ye shall not make yourselves abominable with any creeping thing that creepeth, neither shall ye make yourselves unclean with them, that ye should be defiled thereby.

44 For I am the LORD your God: ye shall therefore sanctify yourselves, and ye shall be holy; for I am holy: Lev. 19.2 · 1 Pet. 1.16 neither shall ye defile yourselves with any manner of creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

45 For I am the LORD that bringeth you up out of the land of Egypt, to be your God: ye shall therefore be holy, for I am holy.

46 This is the law of the beasts, and of the fowl, and of every living creature that moveth in the waters, and of every creature that creepeth upon the earth:

47 to make a difference between the unclean and the clean, and between the beast that may be eaten and the beast that may not be eaten.

Back