Why Death is Bad ?

Hani

Registered Senior Member
What does make life better than death?!

I’ve always wondered about this …

Biological evolution has made the desire to live an essential instinct, and this is understandable, since preserving life is the major goal of the whole natural selection process …

The motives of Religion and traditional morality are not far away from that biological evolutionary process …

Now, in terms of reason and rational thinking, and from an individualist point of view… why is living good and dying is bad?

Death means that you don’t exist anymore … and so you wouldn’t have any unfulfilled desires or wants, and you wouldn’t face any obstacles or repression of your instincts, because they don’t exist …

Whereas life … life is just about suffer and repression and awful feelings , even a good life is this way, but people often neglect bad memories –which are a lot- when they look back in general …

You also don't have any fulfilled desires and dreams, and no pleasure, not even pain, no sensation at all. I would love to die and find out that there really is a Hell that I should have been afraid of, because that would mean that I never died.

Death is bad because after you die, people continue to talk around you and you cannot argue back (so frustrating!)

What does make life better than death?!

Geez, that's easy! Each individual makes that determination based on his/her own life experiences and dreams and aspirations.

Whereas life … life is just about suffer and repression and awful feelings, even a good life is this way, …

There ya' go ...see? You've already made the determination for yourself. Now you don't have to wonder anymore, right?

Baron Max

there are very few peaceful ways to die. Second, we really don't know for sure what happens AFTER you die. I don't care what rationales you use, no one really does. Energy does not die, it disperses but it is possible a piece of our consciousness is a part of it? thats the philosophy of reincarnation etc. There is an expectation of no control and that is upsetting. It would be terrible to die and then end up in a worse shithole with a worse struggle, thats the intuitive emotional fear and i think most people feel that but are unable to identify it. I think thats the fear but also fear of loss of control or any choices. You make a very good point though and if there really is no residue of consciousness after floating around that can reimbody in the physical world then it would be real heaven actually, Utter Peace.

Death is bad because after you die, people continue to talk around you and you cannot argue back

Yes ... this is what I missed...

iam :

There are very few peaceful ways to die

A Valium overdose is fine enough for me ... if this would be the fear...

Energy does not die, it disperses but it is possible a piece of our consciousness is a part of it? thats the philosophy of reincarnation etc. There is an expectation of no control and that is upsetting.

I respect you ... but this talk has no rational meaning or justification nor does it have any evidence...

The atoms make up my brain and thus my conscious... but when they break up they have nothing to do with me anymore because I'd be gone...

The electronic pieces make up a computer motherboard which does many "rational" operations ... but when those pieces end up in the trash ... the operations that happened earlier wouldn't be affected in any way...

Those operations correspond to our conscious, our soul, or whatever …

You can't compare the experience of death and life, since death isn't anything humans experience. We experience dying, which can be unpleasant. Dying can also be natural and a relief.

SamCDKey:

Yes. But only if you possess Whoopi Goldberg. And you know I've always wanted to be inside her. ;)

You can't compare the experience of death and life, since death isn't anything humans experience

Death isn't anything humans can experience because it's nothing...

I can compare anything with nothing...

Death is = stop existing ... and nothing more ... speaking from an empiricist point of view...

Since most of us admit to not knowing what death is, how can anyone say whether it's good or bad?

Baron Max

Death is bad because it defies the basic curious nature of humans.

good argument ... but it's no different from what I said about biological instincts ... it doesn't matter what you think about a situation when you are not within it ... you can't judge being dead based on what you feel now ...

when somebody is dead he won't feel curiosity or regret or envy or anything like that ... so how could those be disadvantages of death ? ... in fact they are disadvantages of life because you feel those bad feelings about death when you are living not when your are dead ...

Dead people are cool.

Yes ... this is because their metabolism stops ... you shouldn't be touching them a lot :)

Last edited:
Back