Why, believer or not, you seek a Monotheistic God.

I'd like to put in a good word for "that old-time religion" The original version, in all societies.

For example in northern lands, it was Thor who made the lightning when you displeased him. The Greeks and Romans had it right: Specialization. Running the world is too much for any one god to do and still be responsive to everyone's request. For example, if you need luck in the hunt, ask Diana, A safe voyage at sea, ask Neptune, feeling bad: Bacchus can help, etc. These were Gods you could believe in. They had human characteristics, like mutual envy, jealousy, played tricks, rage, etc. but most important, if you were desperate, they would take bribes. (Yes that last is true the Christian God - give up things for Lent, or big gift to the church, etc.)

All together now, lets sing:
Give me that old time religion; Give me that old time religion! It worked for Greeks and Romans and its working fine for me!

PS: Who needs a Hell? - I'll tell you: A terrorists god, that's who.

Thanks for this.

Regards
DL

That's a pretty presumptuous statement.

It's also a false statement in my opinion. I certainly am not seeking a monotheist god.

So you're saying that I want to be the master of the universe? I don't think so.

How do you make the move from individual freedom, which would seem to imply recognizing others' freedom as well as our own, to what you seemingly believe is everyone's secret inner desire to be master of everyone and everything else?

And how in the world would actually finding a monotheistic god satisfy our supposed universal human desire for absolute power, if the god isn't us? Jews, Christians and Muslims talk about fearing god, obeying god and submission to god. That would seem to be the exact opposite of the personal apotheosis that you suggest.

It's true that there are religions out there that talk about human beings being fragments of divinity, about their ultimately merging with the godhead, or even that we are already one with god without realizing it. But these traditions also typically stress that our individual personal selves are just illusions. The goal then isn't to expand ourselves into divinities, but to transcend our selves entirely.

You presently are positioned somewhere in a demographic common. Likely somewhere in the middle the way most on the net are.

Wealth and power are at the top of the pyramid shaped common.

Is your goal, evolutionarily speaking, to get to the top?

Do you instinctively not want to be the fittest or do you want to be one of the less fit?

Regards
DL

You presently are positioned somewhere in a demographic common. Likely somewhere in the middle the way most on the net are.

Do you instinctively not want to be the fittest or do you want to be one of the less fit?

Regards
DL
Before you answer that, Yazata, ask Snake Oil if he still beats his wife.

Mod Hat:
Wife beating is not "joke" material... "age old" or not... user has been issued a single warning point for this.
-Kittamaru

Last edited by a moderator:

Wealth and power are concentrated in the hands of elites. Ok.

I'm not sure what the relationship is between my personal goals and evolution. Nor am I convinced that evolution even has goals. Ascribing goals to evolution seems awfully anthropomorphic to me. I suspect that it's probably a conceptual mistake to attribute human-style motivations to a process like that.

'Fitness' in purely biological terms basically means generating lots of viable off-spring. Despite their humble anatomies, bacteria are very fit.

It's often those at the bottom of the 'social pyramid' who are having the most children and whose genes will have a higher frequency in the human population in coming generations.

Wealth and power are concentrated in the hands of elites. ... It's often those at the bottom of the 'social pyramid' who are having the most children and whose genes will have a higher frequency in the human population in coming generations.
Not always true this "mainly from the bottom" distribution of the new gene pool. Your first sentence tells why. In times of sever stress the wealth and power tends to allow for better reproductive and survival rates at the top. Kings and members of their courts rarely starve during wide spread famines / crop failures wars/ plagues etc. This long term POV is an argument against too much democracy and for class inequality, which the US is now turning to.

Nature helps too - Ebola is a current example - highest death rates are found "at the bottom" of "wealth and power."

Before you answer that, Yazata, ask Snake Oil if he still beats his wife.

What can I say. She likes it.

Are you still fucking your children?

Regard
DL

Mod Hat
Child molestation (and accusations thereof) are inappropriate on this forum. User has been issued a warning point for this infraction.
-Kittamaru

Wealth and power are concentrated in the hands of elites. Ok.

I'm not sure what the relationship is between my personal goals and evolution. Nor am I convinced that evolution even has goals. Ascribing goals to evolution seems awfully anthropomorphic to me. I suspect that it's probably a conceptual mistake to attribute human-style motivations to a process like that.

'Fitness' in purely biological terms basically means generating lots of viable off-spring. Despite their humble anatomies, bacteria are very fit.

It's often those at the bottom of the 'social pyramid' who are having the most children and whose genes will have a higher frequency in the human population in coming generations.

Well this was interesting.

Regards
DL

Back