Why are people forced to live involuntarily?

What if tomorrow a new discovery was made that cured him of his disease? If he would have committed suicide he would have never been cured. Hope is a good thing for everyone to have and hold onto.

You sound like a religious person now

Why does he have to live? Why must I? Isn't this blocking my pursuit of happiness? What about other cases? For that matter why must anyone be forced to live against their will?

Why does your life belong to you?

There are probably other people in this world who care about you, and there are unforeseeable consequences of any death.

Many people who attempt suicide regret it afterwards, and rarely is it something long thought out and considered. It is the biggest decision anyone will ever have to face, and that is why we try to prevent people taking it lightly.

If a person really wants to kill themselves, why would they tell anyone? Do they tell hoping they will be stopped?

How many actually do tell?
Yes there are a number of people who tell (usually constantly) and then make some sort of attempt - the "cry for help syndrome", but the ones I know of that actually did it said nothing at all.

and if you say nothing at all, wouldn't the chances of you being forced to live be slim?

A guy my husband works with drove into the woods and killed himself. The other 2 times he tried he did it at home where he was found each time and taken to the hospital. His pills helped, but his drinking was so bad, it made his depression so much worse.

and if you say nothing at all, wouldn't the chances of you being forced to live be slim?
Presumably.
But (assuming I'm understanding what you're getting at - always dubious ;)), don't people tend to look to others for answers they can't find themselves?
Discuss things?
And then when answers aren't forthcoming...

Hamtastic, what and/or who do you care about ?

I care about my wife and kids and pets. I care about God, but he's not the talkative type. Besides that, not so much.

Norsefire! Stop mucking up the thread. Go evangelize in the religion forum.

Because your kids deserve more than to have their lives screwed by a parent killing themself

is the pain felt by the depressed person less significant than their children's potential pain? is it not possible to understand that everyone dies, and your parent just chose the time and place? i mean especially if ur religious u might believe they went to a better place.

forcing someone to live when they have a persistent will to die is a form of torture, no-one should be forced to live.

I care about my wife and kids and pets. I care about God, but he's not the talkative type. Besides that, not so much.

Norsefire! Stop mucking up the thread. Go evangelize in the religion forum.

Don't you think it would hurt the ones you care about if you were to kill yourself ?
Besides if you still have something you care about life is still worth living, isn't it ?

Back