Why are americans fat?

Interesting. I just noticed the "Racism" thread in Open Government. I wonder when this American-bashing will end? It's offensive, sterotypical and racist.

Taking all these facts together we propose that the American people are fat because they do not think enough.

Yeah, we don't like to brag about it, but it only requires a small fraction of our brain power to remain the most intellectually accomplished people in the world. If we were to think ourselves thin, y'all would die of starvation trying to win another Nobel Prize. Or Olympic gold, since we'd be healthier to boot. The reason for the concentration of mental capacity in America is obvious: immigration has, for hundreds of years, drawn large numbers of intelligent, enterprising people out of foreign societies and gene pools and into ours.

Interestingly more and more researchers are now finding the link between brain and obesity in Americans.

A recent peer-reviewed article states that:
In the US, the percentage of children who are overweight has doubled, and the percentage of teenagers who are overweight has tripled

Alzheimer’s disease (AD) is a progres-sive neurodegenerative disease characterized clinically by progressive cognitive impair-ment. Pathological hallmarks of the AD brain include intracellular neurofibrillary tangles and deposits of aggregated amyloid-β protein (Aβ) in neuritic plaques and cere-bral vessels.

Higher fat intake and excess body weight increase the risk of Alzheimer’s disease

There you have it. A clear link between obesity and the brain.

reference:
INTAKE OF SUCROSE-SWEETENED WATER INDUCES INSULIN RESISTANCE AND EXACERBATES MEMORY DEFICITS AND AMYLOIDOSIS IN A TRANS-GENIC MOUSE MODEL OF ALZHEIMER’S DISEASE
http://www.jbc.org/cgi/reprint/M703561200v1

spuriousmonkey,
Americans do not use their brains enough. Hence they are fat.
There you have it. A clear link between obesity and the brain.
That paper was written by American researchers and they are obviously mistaken. They are fat and didn't use their brains enough when they did their research. :)

*deleted reposted moderated content*

If so, You may be gaining weight even before arriving at McDonalds because of that stupid decision to go and buy a Burger.

Lose weight by planning to go and buy a fresh salad with watercress,
then go to McDonalds.

You moderated the post so quickly after I posted it, that I did not realise it had been moderated. I thought it had not been posted and was trying to re-enter it.

Just out of curiousity, What constitutes thinking.. I know it sounds stupid, but what level of thinking are we talking about ? Deep analytical thought ? Zen like mind state or just simply being able to use critical literacy skills ? If its the last.. no one on sci forums should be fat ..

Many Americans are fat because we're rich. We can afford to eat anything we want. We don't like to exercise. We like our toys (computers etc...)

Many are not fat because we exercise a lot and eat only 1/4 portions of everything we love. :)

It is the type of work people do. Several month ago, I had my roof done. There were 8 people who came to do the job. They were all buff...not a single one was fat. Even the old man boss was full of muscle but did have a small beer belly.

Physical labor reduces fat issues. Sitting on a chair all day working on a computer increases. One time, I had a lady programmer who worked for me. She was very beautiful except her hips were out of proportion...giant size. She said, she was well proportioned in college.

What we need is a computer chair that comes with muscle enhancing electrodes...the kind physical therapy uses...:D

Back