Why all of this?

Nebuchadnezzaar said:
Because those people have no faith in anything and thus no feet to stand on, they therefore need to prove people wrong so that they can feel a tiny bit better about themselves in their empty lives. They need to find comfort in the knowledge that they are smarter than idiots who have faith, whereas people who have faith couldn't care less.

No, it's because people of faith seem to have a way of forcing their moral certainty upon every issue under the sun - thus it is a valid concern for believers and non-believers alike. Because so many people want laws, restrictions, and legislation to be based on books like the Bible (or rather, their superior interpretation of said texts), it is impossible for nonbelievers to A) ignore the influence of religion, B) not want to temper it with some reasonable alternative viewpoint.

Get Bible verses off the Supreme Court walls, Judeo-Christian language out of the pledge (as it was originally) and all nationally required oaths, churchs to pay taxes (if they wish to be mouthpieces for political positions), the "Religious Right" out of politics, and maybe we can talk about debate for debate's sake. Until then, you can quite pretending nonbelievers are only interested in arguing with those of faith to prove their "superiority." We have just as much, if not more at stake, when we discuss our opinions because we are in the minority. Faith is not simply an isolated phenomenon that happens to give some people comfort. It affects nearly every aspect of society. Religion is pervasive. And if I see people using the Bible to (effectively) pass gay marriage bans, discriminate against minorities, or otherwise infringe upon the freedoms afforded by the American system of government, I will actively argue against it.

Freedom of religion for all, but also freedom from religion. As long as people claim the Bible as the foundation of their political/legislative policy, even nonbelievers will have a stake in religion.

Josh

It's just a ride. - Bill Hicks

JustARide said:
No, it's because people of faith seem to have a way of forcing their moral certainty upon every issue under the sun - thus it is a valid concern for believers and non-believers alike. Because so many people want laws, restrictions, and legislation to be based on books like the Bible (or rather, their superior interpretation of said texts), it is impossible for nonbelievers to A) ignore the influence of religion, B) not want to temper it with some reasonable alternative viewpoint.

Get Bible verses off the Supreme Court walls, Judeo-Christian language out of the pledge (as it was originally) and all nationally required oaths, churchs to pay taxes (if they wish to be mouthpieces for political positions), the "Religious Right" out of politics, and maybe we can talk about debate for debate's sake. Until then, you can quite pretending nonbelievers are only interested in arguing with those of faith to prove their "superiority." We have just as much, if not more at stake, when we discuss our opinions because we are in the minority. Faith is not simply an isolated phenomenon that happens to give some people comfort. It affects nearly every aspect of society. Religion is pervasive. And if I see people using the Bible to (effectively) pass gay marriage bans, discriminate against minorities, or otherwise infringe upon the freedoms afforded by the American system of government, I will actively argue against it.

Freedom of religion for all, but also freedom from religion. As long as people claim the Bible as the foundation of their political/legislative policy, even nonbelievers will have a stake in religion.

Josh

If it's such a problem for you, the influence of religion that is, why don't you move country. Better yet you could try and become a senator or even president and then you could change the place you live in. Otherwise, get over it is all i can say.

Nebuchadnezzaar said:
If it's such a problem for you, the influence of religion that is, why don't you move country. Better yet you could try and become a senator or even president and then you could change the place you live in. Otherwise, get over it is all i can say.

Admirable job spouting the typical comeback.

Though I do not have the capability at this time to become a congressman, I do, however, try my best to influence what little bit of society I can. Interesting that you did not refute my argument, but rather tossed out the tired "Why don't you move?" line. Essentially then, you are admitting (in fact confirming) the claim I made about religion's undeniable hold over this country.

I don't move because I love the USA and believe it has the machinery for true change (i.e., our living constitution), however flawed those mechanisms may be. You seem to have a deep seated contempt for the very foundations of this country if you believe one religion should hold sway simply because you happen to be a member.

"Christianity neither is, nor ever was, a part of the common law."
-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Dr. Thomas Cooper, February 10, 1814​

Just one question: If the pledge included the line, "One nation under no god whatsoever," would you be content if I told you to "get over it"? I doubt it.

You say nonbelievers come to this board only to prove superiority and to mock the faithful. I point out that religion is an intregal part of everyday life and thus, concerns all. You then tell me to "get over it." Gee, I can't imagine how I ever got the impression that religious folk cram their beliefs down other's throats. Never a shortage of irony with you people, is there?

Josh

JustARide said:
"Christianity neither is, nor ever was, a part of the common law."
-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Dr. Thomas Cooper, February 10, 1814​

Is that the whole Quote or is that just an part of it. Im not questioning your truthflness. Its just that a word or phase can appear to change meaning with out its counter parts(did i say that right??????).

JustARide said:
You say nonbelievers come to this board only to prove superiority and to mock the faithful.

I agree that nonbelievers dont come to prove superiority but to instead prove that believers are confused or just flat out stupid. However, I understand that believers(or those who believe in any organised faith) are just as often big headed about their own faith. This is why I started this thread. All to often inocent discussions turn into a compitition of who can prove who wrong why not keep quiet until spoken to???

roscann said:
Is that the whole Quote or is that just an part of it. Im not questioning your truthflness. Its just that a word or phase can appear to change meaning with out its counter parts(did i say that right??????).

The Jefferson quote was taken from a letter he wrote about what constitutes (or did constitute) common law. Admittedly, I am no English historian so I can't tell you the exact circumstances of the letter, except to say that common law was a system used in England whereby laws were based on court decisions (a crude prelude to our current system of judicial interpretation of the law, perhaps).

Here Jefferson was arguing that Christianity did not constitute a basis for common law when the Saxons first introduced it. This is a larger quote (although by no means complete):

Authorities for what is common law may therefore be as well cited, as for any part of the Lex Scripta, and there is no better instance of the necessity of holding the judges and writers to a declaration of their authorities than the present; where we detect them endeavoring to make law where they found none, and to submit us at one stroke to a whole system, no particle of which has its foundation in the common law. For we know that the common law is that system of law which was introduced by the Saxons on their settlement in England, and altered from time to time by proper legislative authority from that time to the date of Magna Charta, which terminates the period of the common law, or lex non scripta, and commences that of the statute law, or Lex Scripta. This settlement took place about the middle of the fifth century. But Christianity was not introduced till the seventh century; the conversion of the first christian king of the Heptarchy having taken place about the year 598, and that of the last about 686. Here, then, was a space of two hundred years, during which the common law was in existence, and Christianity no part of it. If it ever was adopted, therefore, into the common law, it must have been between the introduction of Christianity and the date of the Magna Charta. But of the laws of this period we have a tolerable collection by Lambard and Wilkins, probably not perfect, but neither very defective; and if any one chooses to build a doctrine on any law of that period, supposed to have been lost, it is incumbent on him to prove it to have existed, and what were its contents. These were so far alterations of the common law, and became themselves a part of it. But none of these adopt Christianity as a part of the common law. If, therefore, from the settlement of the Saxons to the introduction of Christianity among them, that system of religion could not be a part of the common law, because they were not yet Christians, and if, having their laws from that period to the close of the common law, we are all able to find among them no such act of adoption, we may safely affirm (though contradicted by all the judges and writers on earth) that Christianity neither is, nor ever was a part of the common law. Another cogent proof of this truth is drawn from the silence of certain writers on the common law. Bracton gives us a very complete and scientific treatise of the whole body of the common law. He wrote this about the close of the reign of Henry III., a very few years after the date of the Magna Charta. We consider this book as the more valuable, as it was written about fore gives us the former in its ultimate state. Bracton, too, was an ecclesiastic, and would certainly not have failed to inform us of the adoption of Christianity as a part of the common law, had any such adoption ever taken place. But no word of his, which intimates anything like it, has ever been cited. Fleta and Britton, who wrote in the succeeding reign (of Edward I.), are equally silent. So also is Glanvil, an earlier writer than any of them, (viz.: temp. H. 2,) but his subject perhaps might not have led him to mention it. Justice Fortescue Aland, who possessed more Saxon learning than all the judges and writers before mentioned put together, places this subject on more limited ground. Speaking of the laws of the Saxon kings, he says, "the ten commandments were made part of their laws, and consequently were once part of the law of England; so that to break any of the ten commandments was then esteemed a breach of the common law, of England; and why it is not so now, perhaps it may be difficult to give a good reason." Preface to Fortescue Aland's reports, xvii. Had he proposed to state with more minuteness how much of the scriptures had been made a part of the common law, he might have added that in the laws of Alfred, where he found the ten commandments, two or three other chapters of Exodus are copied almost verbatim. But the adoption of a part proves rather a rejection of the rest, as municipal law. We might as well say that the Newtonian system of philosophy is a part of the common law, as that the Christian religion is. The truth is that Christianity and Newtonianism being reason and verity itself, in the opinion of all but infidels and Cartesians, they are protected under the wings of the common law from the dominion of other sects, but not erected into dominion over them. An eminent Spanish physician affirmed that the lancet had slain more men than the sword. Doctor Sangrado, on the contrary, affirmed that with plentiful bleedings, and draughts of warm water, every disease was to be cured. The common law protects both opinions, but enacts neither into law.​

While the quote does not directly address the situation of early American law (albeit clearly derived from English law), it is addressing Jefferson's general dislike of including select parts of the Bible as the authority behind national law. I invoked it because it supported my claim that one particular religion (Christianity in this case) is protected, but, as Jefferson, says "should not hold dominion over the others."

I agree that nonbelievers dont come to prove superiority but to instead prove that believers are confused or just flat out stupid. However, I understand that believers(or those who believe in any organised faith) are just as often big headed about their own faith. This is why I started this thread. All to often inocent discussions turn into a compitition of who can prove who wrong why not keep quiet until spoken to???

Well, if you think all nonbelievers come to prove that believers are stupid, that isn't a far cry from saying they want to prove superiority. Certainly a number of people are here to mock the other side, while some are here to truly challenge themselves, and for most, probably a little of both. I agree that many conversations tend to morph into The O-Reilly Factor, probably because being a smartass is... well... kinda fun. My point was that religion is not some independent entity that only affects the personal lives of believers; it is an ideology, like any other, and it exerts a mighty force upon world affairs. Take a good whiff of the Middle East and you might understand why nonbelievers feel behooved to rip into a few sacred cows.

Josh

JustARide said:
Just one question: If the pledge included the line, "One nation under no god whatsoever," would you be content if I told you to "get over it"? I doubt it.

Shit yeh i'd be content, I don't even live in that gun toting hole you call the greatest country on earth.

Nebuchadnezzaar said:
Shit yeh i'd be content, I don't even live in that gun toting hole you call the greatest country on earth.

Good reply, smartass.

By the way, I never said the US was the "greatest country on earth" as that line is typical nationalistic bullshit no matter where one comes from.

Go put words in someone else's mouth.

Have a nice day. :)

Josh

JustARide said:
Good reply, smartass.

By the way, I never said the US was the "greatest country on earth" as that line is typical nationalistic bullshit no matter where one comes from.

Go put words in someone else's mouth.

Have a nice day. :)

Josh

awwww you called me a smartass, thankyou!

seriously though back to the topic, i have no idea why you have such a problem with the religion.

Generally religion doesn't interfere with people's lives too much, i can't see why you feel so influenced. Perhaps the city or county you live in is extremely religios in which case i feel for you.

But i thought that the US in particular did not allow religion in schools or in the workplace, where is it a problem for you? and also why is it such a problem?

Only hard line religious nuts annoy me, and hard line non-religious nuts. Why? obviously because they are hard line nuts in whatever they choos to believe. I don't think religion is the problem, i more think it's the people who follow it.

In most cases having faith in something is only a beneficial thing for a human, but in extreme cases involving "hard line nuts" it can be down-right dangerous. The problem we have as humans is that we notice and remember the negative things more easily.

I think religion is being phased out of society, slowly but surely, so that one day people will only have religion inside their own homes and at patron supported churches etc...

Nebuchadnezzaar said:
Better yet you could try and become a senator or even president and then you could change the place you live in. Otherwise, get over it is all i can say.
like I said to become senator or prez you have to declare your belief in the Supreme being/God,something an honest atheist would probably never do.

also its real frikin hard to get along with nuts who want to push Inteligent Design as a real science using the bible as their proof of worlds creation, :rolleyes:

Q25 said:
like I said to become senator or prez you have to declare your belief in the Supreme being/God,something an honest atheist would probably never do.

also its real frikin hard to get along with nuts who want to push Inteligent Design as a real science using the bible as their proof of worlds creation, :rolleyes:

Who are you? i wasn't even talking to you?

but anyway, So you saying it's real hard to get along with nuts? No F#ckin sh#t sherlock, they're nuts! that's my point! :eek:

And as for you become senator or prez, you probably don't have swear to a supreme being/god to become that.

And as for you being an Atheist, I think that's just abuot the dumbest religion any person could be. Your an honest believer that even if a God, any god, did appear before your very eyes and part the seas that you still wouldn't believe. Why not leave the door open for the possibility that if a god does appear you will believe.

It just seems such an stupid thing to believe in, because the fact is, at the very least, that a god could show up, or an alien who created you, and you'd be left looking like a right moron. Why not change your religion to one which would accept a creator if that creator did appear. Your just pointlessly reducing your options, sorry but it true. :(

Nebuchadnezzaar said:
seriously though back to the topic, i have no idea why you have such a problem with the religion.

Generally religion doesn't interfere with people's lives too much, i can't see why you feel so influenced. Perhaps the city or county you live in is extremely religios in which case i feel for you.

It is, and thanks for the sympathy.

But i thought that the US in particular did not allow religion in schools or in the workplace, where is it a problem for you? and also why is it such a problem?

Come to the Bible Belt. I'll show ya.

It is an unwritten law in this country that politicians who are "serious" about winning must, in some fashion, bow to religion. Just check out how many self-avowed atheists, agnostics, freethinkers, Hindus, Muslims, Buddhists, etc. occupy positions of power. (HINT: You'll have to go to the light blue column on the abacus for that calculation.) Bible verses are carved into the walls of our highest court. Everyone, including the president, must swear oaths on Bibles. Our pledge, recited by schoolchildren, includes a big, fat kowtow to Guess-Who. Most of our "patriotic" songs are overflowing with religious references. What two books are in every hotel room? The phone book and... *drum roll*... the Bible. Hell, it was a big deal when we elected John F. Kennedy because he was *GASP* Catholic! And, of course, the man running our country (along with the chief law-enforcement officer) are fundamentalist Christians who regularly invoke God as influential, if not the guiding force, in their policy decisions and "faith-based" initiatives.

If atheists are going for a take-over of American society, they're doing a piss poor job.

Religion not only "interferes" with life here - for many, it is life. I'm not even an atheist and it bugs the fuck out of me.

Only hard line religious nuts annoy me, and hard line non-religious nuts. Why? obviously because they are hard line nuts in whatever they choos to believe. I don't think religion is the problem, i more think it's the people who follow it.

Well, hmmm. Maybe the proper question is: why does religion produce so many assholes? I mean, why aren't we suffering from an onslaught of hardline radical fundamentalist agnostics? Maybe because they don't exist?

Hardliners are indeed a problem, but it might be germane to ask the logical follow-up question: what types of philosophies tend to spawn narrow-minded fanatics? Or what types of philosophies attract such people and offer ammunition for their backward, prejudiced views? Just a thought.

I think religion is being phased out of society, slowly but surely, so that one day people will only have religion inside their own homes and at patron supported churches etc...

And would that infringe on anyone's ability to believe what they want? No.

Josh

Last edited:
roscann said:
If a person seeks confort in the ideal of God, then why try and disprove them just cause we dont see any confort in this i deal? Just draw your own conclusion and dont try and force your ideals on others.
ANd what if I found comfort in joining an underground mass-genocide-suicide terrorist cult? I'm happy, however you can see I'm wasting my life and that I'm helping to kill hundreds of innocent people. Surely you'd try to stop me?

Back