Who's Your Favorite Saint?

so there is a huge legend about St George killing the dragon but it ends there?
I was just kiddin' about the St. George's nutritional habits.

St. George never killed any dragon. It's just a symbolism.

Although there were no history records, all we know about this saint is from the legend, which says that St. George was born in Cappadocia (now Turkey) and was a commander in Roman Army, very brave and loyal.
Voice about his deeds came to emperor Diocletian himself and he decided to make St. George member of his personal guard.
He was one of emperors' favourite soldiers and soon he became Tribune and later Comes (rank of a count) in Nicomedia.

In year 303, Diocletian issued an edict for systematic persecution of Christians across the Roman Empire.
St. George was ordered to participate in persecutions, but instead of that, he confessed that he's been Christian himself and boldly called an Emperor to recognize the "Living God".
Furious Emperor ordered a torture of St. George and finally his execution.

During the torture, legend says, many asked the Emperor to change his decision or to moderate the measures to convince St. George to change his attitude.
Many converted to the Christianity impressed by bravery and firmness of young commander.
One of those who converted was Empress Alexandra.

She lost her life on same day when St. George was decapitated in front of Nicomedia's defensive wall on April 23, 303.

And the icon represents all of them.

There stands a maiden, in danger of the beast, which is Empress Alexandra actually.

There is a hero, to save the maiden and the world... And he is killing a dragon, which represents polytheistic and pagan opposition to the 'faith in one living god'.

A hero... St. George. :)

...It's labeled "Saint Albert". I don't know which of them is the saint. If it's the monk guy, he's being kind to the world's biggest frog. If it's the other, I don't know what's going on.....

I've looked everywhere and I can't figure out the frog connection. Do you know why?
It would bother me to not know, so I would have to walk inside and ask. <hint, hint>

St. Matthew. I named my son after him. I also love St. Francis. (Brother sun, sister moon) he was so in touch with nature and the universe.

Huh. My firstborn's Matthew too.

Of course, he's evil. But you can't have everything.

Saint Simeon.
He truly represents the noble virtues of Christianity:
"But of all the evidences of the loathsome excesses to which this spirit was carried, the life of St. Simeon Stylites is probably the most remarkable. It would be difficult to conceive a more horrible or disgusting picture than is given of the penances by which that saint commenced his ascetic career. He had bound a rope around him so that it became imbedded in his flesh, which putrefied around it. "A horrible stench, intolerable to the bystanders, exhaled from his body, and worms dropped from him whenever he moved, and they filled his bed." Sometimes he left the monastery and slept in a dry well, inhabited, it is said, by daemons.He built successively three pillars, the last being sixty feet high, and scarcely two cubits in circumference, and on this pillar, during thirty years, he remained exposed to every change of climate, ceaselessly and rapidly bending his body in prayer almost to the level of his feet. A spectator attempted to number these rapid motions, but desisted from weariness when he had counted 1,244. For a whole year, we are told, St. Simeon stood upon one leg, the other being covered with hideous ulcers, while his biographer was commissioned to stand by his side, to pick up the worms that fell from his body, and to replace them in the sores, the saint saying to the worm, "Eat what God has given you." From every quarter pilgrims of every degree thronged to do him homage. A crowd of prelates followed him to the grave. A brilliant star is said to have shone miraculously over his pillar; the general voice of mankind pronounced him to be the highest model of a Christian saint, and several other anchorites imitated or emulated his penances."
http://etext.virginia.edu/railton/yankee/lecky&cy.html
It doesn't get better than that.

You should hear the house track for it. It's bitchin. Kinda jarring though.

There's an excellent account of Saint George's deeds by the historian Stan Washburn.

Title: " The True Account of the Death By Violence of George's Dragon"

Reggie Bush (star runningback for the New Orleans Saints :))

Real answer: Mother Teresa....she was someone who lived in my lifetime, and personified goodness and charity to others.

I was a little sad she died at the same time as Princess Di. I thought it "stole her thunder" a little.

Real answer: Mother Teresa... she was someone who lived in my lifetime, and personified goodness and charity to others.

I was a little sad she died at the same time as Princess Di. I thought it "stole her thunder" a little.
M*W: I think Mother Teresa would have wanted it that way.

M*W: I think Mother Teresa would have wanted it that way.

I've never liked her. It seemed she thought it was God's will that they be poor. She just wanted to ease their suffering a bit, but not enough to life them out of abject poverty.

Mine (even though i'm not religious) is St Jude, Patron Saint of the lost. I just like the idea , that there's a saint for the lost causes

Mine (even though i'm not religious) is St Jude, Patron Saint of the lost. I just like the idea , that there's a saint for the lost causes

I think that's a good saint. I think mostly because of what the Thomas family has done in his name, St Jude's Children's Hospital.

Back