Who will be left behind?

Matthew 6
34. Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself.

wsionynw said:
Poor analogy, but I take your point anyway. Religion isn't about a certain taste in music, film, food, etc, it's not like choosing a career based on ambition, money, love for your work, etc. It's about dedicating your life to worshipping something that may or probably does not exist. This is my view as an atheist. I'm sure you firmly believe in God, which is fair enough and good luck to you.
Rock on. :cool:

I think that it is like taste. Thats why a person must have a taste for Truth in this life, or else he will end up with bad food, or even swine husks.

Thanks for your contribution.

Lawdog, if you think being decapitated because you are a Christian is an honor from God, then go to the middle east and preach like there's no tomorrow...

Of course it is an honour, a blessing. Every christian must adore martyrdom. However it is not ours to take upon ourserlves, and we must always try to remain alive. If we are captured by the worldlings and refuse to renounce Christ and are executed, BLISS is ours! St. Polycarp used to beg desparately that no one interfer with his being fed to the lions! I am unworthy of such a fate.

Stanley,

Who will be left behind when the rapture comes? Holy Ghost filled Christian believers have no doubt that the rapture is coming and possibly soon. We have prepared ourselves for this occasion. Anyone else may have doubt that the rapture is a true event to transpire. The question is where do you stand?

Do yourself a blessing. Study the book of proverbs and pray for the Holy Spirit to guide your decision.

Prov13:20 He that walketh with wise men shall be wise: but a companion of fools shall be destroyed.
It's interesting mythology. It feels to me from your tone that you think these fairy stories are true. Isn't that rather silly of you?

Lawdog,

Of course it is an honour, a blessing. Every christian must adore martyrdom.
A complete atithesis to survival and why Christianity is a dangerous absurdity.

Survival of the individual is irrelevant to the virus, in the same way an ant may sacrifice themself for the good of the colony. The concept of martyrdom may have contributed to the rise of Christianity. Many Romans secretly admired the martyrs, even though many others enjoyed watching them be tortured.

Cris said:
Lawdog,

A complete atithesis to survival and why Christianity is a dangerous absurdity.
In Martyrdom are found the seeds of the Faith. Every lasting cause tends toward this.

stanleyg said:
Prov13:20 He that walketh with wise men shall be wise: but a companion of fools shall be destroyed.
Jesus shall be destroyed, then. He was a companion of fools- not wise men.

Lawdog,

In Martyrdom are found the seeds of the Faith.
There are no true altruists and certainly none that are religious. The religious martyr has no honorable position; he allows himself to die with the baseless certainty (religious faith) that he is about to enter eternal paradise as a reward for his imagined valiant sacrifice. His action is entirely selfish.

It is the same with warfare; the religious soldier who believes he is fighting for a just cause willingly puts himself in danger thinking that a paradise awaits him should he die. If religion wasn’t so prevalent among the armed services then warfare would likely die out. Without the fantasy beliefs of religion war would likely not exist.

Every lasting cause tends toward this.
There are no lasting causes, everything is transient, except change itself.

You don't know!? Check it out!

"Agnosticism is distinct from, but compatible with, atheism. It is also compatible with theism. This is because agnosticism is a view about knowledge concerning God, whereas theism and atheism are beliefs (or lack thereof) concerning God. For example, it is possible to believe in God but to believe that knowledge about God is not obtainable."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnostic

Cheers,
Truthie :)

So are you an agnostic theist or an agnostic atheist?

I'm inclined to theism. I enjoy the challenge of prooving the existence of a god. Wanna play the logic game? :D

I'm inclined to theism. I enjoy the challenge of prooving the existence of a god.

You can't though. At least the atheist has something to play with. Such as pointing to already impossible stories in scripture which devalues the 'truthfulness' of widely accepted myths embraced as fact using faith.

Cris said:
Lawdog,

There are no true altruists and certainly none that are religious. The religious martyr has no honorable position; he allows himself to die with the baseless certainty (religious faith) that he is about to enter eternal paradise as a reward for his imagined valiant sacrifice. His action is entirely selfish.
I agree with this a general rule of thumb. However, many of the martyrs are recorded as having acted selflessly, even praying things like, "I will give up Heaven, Lord, if you allow x and y souls to be saved." of course God laughed at this, for our miniscule minds cannot comprehend Heaven. There is nothing wrong with being non-altruistic as a believer, God does not expect us to give up our lives for nothing, since he is a just God. Only God himself is capable of such high degrees of Altruism.

It is the same with warfare; the religious soldier who believes he is fighting for a just cause willingly puts himself in danger thinking that a paradise awaits him should he die. If religion wasn’t so prevalent among the armed services then warfare would likely die out. Without the fantasy beliefs of religion war would likely not exist.
War is a sacrament of the Devil. There will always be wars with or without religion. Therefore when a soldier lays down his life for his companion, some of the evil effects of war are cancelled out, since that is the highest form of love as Jesus said.

Back