White Male only scholarship

Orleander

OH JOY!!!!
Valued Senior Member
really? $500 is a scholarship? I'd be too emabrrassed to accept it on so many levels. I think its lame, but not immoral

LEAGUE CITY, Texas -- A nonprofit group is awarding scholarships to high school students, but only white males qualify.

Ryan Ward, 18, received a $500 check from the Former Majority Association for Equality on Monday. He will attend the University of Texas in the fall and said he found the application for the scholarship online.
"I believe the scholarships are out for those who create them," Ward said. "I'm just grateful for whatever I receive."

Ward is the sixth student to receive one of the ethnically based scholarships from the FMAFE, which was organized by students at Texas State University.
"What we just did today is provide the first ethnically based scholarship specifically for Caucasian males in the history of the country," FMAFE president Colby Bohannan said.

Similar scholarships have been offered by college Republican groups at Boston University, Williams and the University of Missouri.
Bohannan said the group is not politically aligned and does not care about affirmative action.

"There are not enough scholarships out there to go around for everybody," Bohannan said. "So if there are millions of scholarships out there, we're still not reaching every single family."

The group planned to hold its ceremony Monday on the steps of Clear Creek High School, but it ended up moving it to the sidewalk when the principal found out what was happening.

The group said it has raised about $20,000 and plans to give out more scholarships next year.

there are scholarships for other ethnic groups and sexes. How is this one different? Do you think its immoral?

Strangely, I look at this and say 'and?'..

There are scholarships that target only African American males from disadvantaged areas.

Why not one for white males from disadvantaged areas then?

While the reasoning behind such scholarships themselves are racist, a poor kid is just a poor kid, regardless of race and if that $500 is going to help this kid buy some school books, for example, then so be it.

I would find it better if scholarships were awarded on merit alone and not solely on colour, but eh.. Like that's ever going to happen.

there are scholarships for other ethnic groups and sexes. How is this one different? Do you think its immoral?

Strangely, I look at this and say 'and?'..

There are scholarships that target only African American males from disadvantaged areas.

Why not one for white males from disadvantaged areas then?

While the reasoning behind such scholarships themselves are racist, a poor kid is just a poor kid, regardless of race and if that $500 is going to help this kid buy some school books, for example, then so be it.

I would find it better if scholarships were awarded on merit alone and not solely on colour, but eh.. Like that's ever going to happen.

Agreed. Agreed.

I recently returned to college, fully prepared to pay for it out if my pocket. Then I wised up and started applying for scholarships and grants. I applied for a few that I stood the chance of getting, including one for gay men ($3k!!!). I'd happily take the white boy scholarship if I qualified. . . Unfortunately I'm not exactly underprivileged.

Oh well.

~String

I would require that anyone that wants a college education and can't afford it should join the military first, not as a combat soldier but in anything they want to be that the military offers. The military would at least train them in something and once they had served at least 4 years they could quit and then have their college paid for them by the government.

I would require that anyone that wants a college education and can't afford it should join the military first, not as a combat soldier but in anything they want to be that the military offers. The military would at least train them in something and once they had served at least 4 years they could quit and then have their college paid for them by the government.

I was told they want 8 years out of you now...and they don't take people like me who have asthma.

I asked at one point, I was really desperate for a job period and checked with the navy. Nope.

So those of us who can't get into the military are just S.O.L.

BTW, League City is nearish to where the old KKK hall was in Pasadena, TX, two adjacent suburbs of Houston. Not that there's necessarily anything to that, no...

Both cities are home to a lot of refineries.:shrug:

Last edited:
I was told they want 8 years out of you now...and they don't take people like me who have asthma.

I asked at one point, I was really desperate for a job period and checked with the navy. Nope.

So those of us who can't get into the military are just S.O.L.

I'd like to see that change. Asthma can be controlled very easy today. My suggestion would help many others and give them a job as well. People who are "afflicted" with something would have to find alternate means I would think.

It would be nice if there was some sort of civilian service type thing to enlist in, serve the country at home...

Personally I'd rather we stopped this nonsense of discriminating along the lines of race, gender, sexuality, religion etc but if everyone else gets a go then why not White Males? It's almost a good way to protest against the problem. We should probably apply it to other areas until people get the message.

Geezzz....why discriminate against the wealthy?

Personally I think its about time the Rich White Man had the power for once.

~~~~~~~

Ya I'd join the military as long as I didnt have to shoot anyone....

You can join as a conscientious objector, that way you will only have a job not involving killing but only helping others, cooking, nurse, mechanic, office work and on and on.

I'd also add that I'd join the military as long as there was no-one shooting at ME.

Support personnel are always in America sending the troops what they need to keep them supplied . You can always request a stateside job.

The Name Tells Us What We Need to Know

I'm not going to knock the scholarship; it does enough to itself.

But I am struck by the appearance that some would think we're back to raw black-and-white ideas.

Being poor is being poor. But there is nothing in the United States of America that makes being white like being one's socioeconomic equivalent in the black community.

Furthermore, people seem to be overlooking the purpose of this scholarship. $500 might get a poor white boy books for a semester. Its purpose isn't to educate poor whites. Its purpose is to exploit poor whites in order to promote a racist agenda:

"What we just did today is provide the first ethnically based scholarship specifically for Caucasian males in the history of the country," explained group president Colby Bohannan. "There are not enough scholarships out there to go around for everybody. So if there are millions of scholarships out there, we're still not reaching every single family."

Except he doesn't intend to reach every single family.

Only the white ones.

Look, here's the thing: Ethnic scholarships arose in order to help minority families break a poverty cycle largely inflicted on them by their white American neighbors. That's pretty much the only reason they're legal; the alternative would have been to stratify society according to ethnicity, which is what was already happening.

These days, with the public both refusing to adequately support education and demanding an educated workforce, budget cuts at universities are making it harder to get into good schools, and harder to pay for once you're in. An increase in scholarship endowment is one of the first quasi-solutions to mind.

But this isn't really FMAFE's thinking, as its name indicates. Nor did Bohannan include it in his explanation of the scholarship. This is about white people, just like it was when Republicans pulled this same stunt in other areas. It's about skin color, and nothing more.

Just think about the name: Former Majority Association for Equality.

That tells you everything you need to know.

Spreading racism, one white person at a time.

500 is not that much..have you seen the price of books?
and i would not care where the money came from if it helped..
and i also have bitched (not here) about the white males being the new minority.

Back