when religion pisses me off

teg

youre absolutly right

religion have tendency to be a means to a personal end or a self-justifying tool, and not the self (and world) improving element it should be.

(fuck i sound like oprah)

Originally posted by lotuseatsvipers
To clear up some issues, and to use less deconstructive language, I attempted to change the title of this thread to

"when christianity and similar relgions annoy me "

Fine by me Lotus...

There are plenty of things in organized religion that annoy me on a grand scale.

For instance, I do not like those hypocritical, overblown, self-indulgent, preach-to-the-choir, prancing, fat-cat, cash-grubbing, mansion-dwelling, religion-pandering, truth-trashing, soul-sucking televangelists any more than you do.

As for people who say "Thank God for..." and "God blessed me with..." or "God protected me..." etc. I think in some cases the sentiments are genuine, some are cases of narcissistic self-indulgence, and sometimes... well, in the words of John Lennon... "Whatever gets you through the night..." ;)

-Mike

As for people who say "Thank God for..." and "God blessed me with..." or "God protected me..." etc. I think in some cases the sentiments are genuine, some are cases of narcissistic self-indulgence, and sometimes... well, in the words of John Lennon... "Whatever gets you through the night..."
Of course its geniune, 'religious' people are oddly BOLD enough and arrogant enough to assume God gave them a special place on earth for no reason at all.

Let me point you back to one of my previous posts:
I do feel blessed indeed to be here in such afluence, but not blessed by god. A god that blesses me, who never in his life did anything to deserve such a thing, but did not bless someone in africa starving to death with aids but is probably a better person, is NO god of mine.

Hey Lotus...etc....

I am with you.......you sound like me......I want to KILL when I hear people say....."it was God who did not allow more people to get killed on 9-11" A-Holes........

God has no control over anything......it is expected for US to control....God (who ever the creator is)

Wants us to take life by the horns, do fr ourselves....etc...I have so much to say......but no time right now.....

Originally posted by lotuseatsvipers
To clear up some issues, and to use less deconstructive language, I attempted to change the title of this thread to

"when christianity and similar relgions annoy me "

I can't do that now so I will just say, that is now the title so DEAL WITH IT:)

It appears Joe missed the point, so I assume others also did. I feel this title would clear up some things, that this is not an critique on ALL religions(or religious peoples), just the incredibly pervasive western ones (I cannot speak for Eastern religions because I have not been around it very much, so I am sorry if I say religion and don't specify which ones).

The title also changed because I am attempting to do away with my negative 'tude. I first noticed habits of mine that other people do and found it to be really annoying (ending a post with flames, such as grow up or ass or whatever. this can also probably be applied to beginning of posts).

There I hope the world (and this message board) is a little bit happier place to live now.

sorry peeps.

Hey Lotus,

People say "God was with me..." or "God protected me..." because it gets them through. Plain and simple.

Celebrities say it mostly because they are self-centered.

Now don't get me wrong, Religion sometimes gets under my skin too. For instance, I can't stand those soul-sucking, fancy-suit-wearing, cash-gubbing, preach-to-the-choir televangelists any more than you can! They do more harm than good!

-Mike

Lotus - somewhere down the line in Arts... you can find a thread where I ranted about my hatred for musicians/actors who have the disgusting attitude that somehow god was responsible for what they did. "First off, I'd like to thank god for helping me sell millions of albums and have great musical talent." I don't care about the pompus attitude that they're that special. It's the utter confusion I get when I here this. What the fuck kind of god works to get some American/Canadian/Euro to be a famous musician but won't get off his fat arse to stop genocides?

Tyler, I think everyone hates that. But I don't think its anyworse than what this thread is talking about, in fact its probably less harmful.

Mike, I think you are doing a great job of evading the point:cool:

Back