When do you get a soul? & related questions.

Well, I wouldn't say "vastly different", just bigger really.
probably about 1200% bigger, hence vast
Your brain probably changes the most as it gains new information and new perspectives.
the conceived self undergoes a few dramatic changes also

Of course then you're just one hard smack on the head away from losing all of that and becoming an entirely different person, (would that be 'soul')?.
I'm not sure what you are arguing here

A smack in the head vastly re-establishes the physicality of the body and mind?

How do you investigate?
in the standard manner, namely by applying a theory

Until you have proof, you have no position outside of speculation.

Without demonstration, knowing there is something immaterial is a remarkably ridiculous feat.
The general outline for evidence is theory->application->conclusion.

At least in many pedagogical methods, there are very good reasons why theory is taught before prac.
:eek:

atheists may expect that there is no essential difference between a dead body and a living one, but clearly its a stance born of belief and not evidence

On the contrary, there are huge differences between a dead body and a living one. Your grasping at straws making that silly claim.

Cris
On the contrary, you fall upon the fantasy that "somehow, someday we will be able to see what we are seeing with" to avoid the requirement of applying yourself to a means that is actually capable of investigating the subject

Nonsense, we have a physical brain whose vast complexity we fully recognize and are yet unable to fully decipher how it functions.
yet for some reason this lack of complete knowledge on your behalf strikes you as sufficient to launch into an absolute argument
:shrug:
We also know it is responsible for all known mental functions, e.g. thought, memory, emotions, identity, intellect, etc. This is the same ballpark that we would expect consciousness since these are related functions.
correlation = causation is not celebrated as a steadfast empirical tool.

Once again, its not that I have a problem with empiricism applied to its proper use. Its only when it gets misappropriated to lend validity to claims that clearly lie outside its jurisdiction that I call foul.
Until we complete our analysis of the brain and can explain how it operates it seems somewhat pointless imagining fantasy and exotic explanations that have zero basis.
Post dated rain cheques are another pseudo-scientific accessory for empiricism

Until you are willing to apply yourself, you have no position outside of speculation

The brain is the ballpark, something immaterial is not even in the galaxy in comparison. I.e. it has no precedent and no starting point from which to begin to investigate it.
On the contrary, the very nature of investigation (ie consciousness) has no precedent within the empirical world

yes
demonstrating something immaterial to the material senses would certainly be a remarkable feat.

In exactly the same way that attempting to see something that does not exist.
not really, since you are bypassing the issue whether empiricism has the monopoly on all knowable claims.

IOW the statements "it does not exist" and "empiricism is incapable of seeing it" are not non-different

If you know it exists then you must use some immaterial senses to perceive it.
"purified senses" is the probably a more precise term for the task at hand
Since I assume we are both human you can tell me how to use my immaterial senses, so I can see souls the same as you, correct?
The key factor that determines whether the senses are purified or not is the overwhelming presence of material desire.
Or if not then what mechanism do you use to perceive souls?
What you are failing to factor in is that consciousness (or the nature of perception) can be greatly influenced by desire. Ordinarily this doesn't play a factor in empiricism but in any spiritual discipline its where all the chips are stacked.

For instance if I am assailed by issues of lust and greed, I can still go on to become a remarkable physicist.

On the contrary, there are huge differences between a dead body and a living one.

No No my dear boy.

Only a few essential chemicals

Why I could even map the cerebral structure and take the DNA from a dead person and yada yada yada (aka get all hot and sweaty for a new star trek series)

lg,

No No my dear boy.

Only a few essential chemicals

Why I could even map the cerebral structure and take the DNA from a dead person and yada yada yada (aka get all hot and sweaty for a new star trek series)
You must move past this issue.

A car engine also has two states, running and not running. In each state they have very different properties yet they are constructed of the same materials, albeit with some minor chemical differences. The analogy with a dead body and a live one is identical. Niether scenario requires any immaterial or magical influence.

lg,

You must move past this issue.

A car engine also has two states, running and not running. In each state they have very different properties yet they are constructed of the same materials, albeit with some minor chemical differences. The analogy with a dead body and a live one is identical. Niether scenario requires any immaterial or magical influence.
even a running car engine requires consciousness somewhere down the track (or for that matter, even a non-active car ... unless you want to advocate that a car could form by random forces)

lg,

even a running car engine requires consciousness somewhere down the track (or for that matter, even a non-active car ... unless you want to advocate that a car could form by random forces)
Consciousness is irrelevant for this issue. It is a matter between something dead or alive.

lg,

Consciousness is irrelevant for this issue. It is a matter between something dead or alive.
its the issue of to what degree something is contingent on consciousness.

Even a running car operated by an automatic system requires consciousness. An inert vehicle cannot start itself in a million years without it

Lg,

its the issue of to what degree something is contingent on consciousness.

Even a running car operated by an automatic system requires consciousness. An inert vehicle cannot start itself in a million years without it
Then use the analogy of a live plant and a dead plant. The live plant has an active metabolism to keep its cells alive, whereas metabolism in a dead plant has ceased. Or do you want propose that a live plant has consciousness?

it was for about the first 23 years of my life

I guess I got sick of the futility or something

the problem of rendering god knowable of course

in the standard manner, namely by applying a theory

The general outline for evidence is theory->application->conclusion.

At least in many pedagogical methods, there are very good reasons why theory is taught before prac.

You are either some kind of idiot savant or the most obtuse obfuscator I've come across..

Cris

yet for some reason this lack of complete knowledge on your behalf strikes you as sufficient to launch into an absolute argument

correlation = causation is not celebrated as a steadfast empirical tool.

Once again, its not that I have a problem with empiricism applied to its proper use. Its only when it gets misappropriated to lend validity to claims that clearly lie outside its jurisdiction that I call foul.

Post dated rain cheques are another pseudo-scientific accessory for empiricism

On the contrary, the very nature of investigation (ie consciousness) has no precedent within the empirical world

not really, since you are bypassing the issue whether empiricism has the monopoly on all knowable claims.

IOW the statements "it does not exist" and "empiricism is incapable of seeing it" are not non-different

"purified senses" is the probably a more precise term for the task at hand

The key factor that determines whether the senses are purified or not is the overwhelming presence of material desire.

What you are failing to factor in is that consciousness (or the nature of perception) can be greatly influenced by desire. Ordinarily this doesn't play a factor in empiricism but in any spiritual discipline its where all the chips are stacked.

For instance if I am assailed by issues of lust and greed, I can still go on to become a remarkable physicist.

You perpetually criticize logic, empiricism & reductionism yet you will not explain how & why you come to your conclusions & why you proclaim them as truth that we refuse to see.

Lg,

Then use the analogy of a live plant and a dead plant. The live plant has an active metabolism to keep its cells alive, whereas metabolism in a dead plant has ceased. Or do you want propose that a live plant has consciousness?
I think we both might be working out of different frames of reference for consciousness if you're suggesting a plant can be alive yet have have no consciousness.
In short, I am suggesting that anything that has an element of self awareness has consciousness. Of course there are a range of levels of consciousness. For instance even though a plant may strive towards the sun or respond in a certain way to predators (for instance I vaguely recall that some trees when being attacked by a particular type of ant not only releasing some sort of chemical into their leaves to make them less palatable but also a similar effect was noted in nearby trees that were not currently under attack), you cannot put that on an equal level with the capacity for self rumination the human form of life exhibits.

Back