What's on your iPod?

Vamps, "Vampire Depression"

I suppose I should have gone with this one, instead of Stereopony, yesterday.

Vamps, "Vampire Depression":

[video=youtube;Us5eblqTI_4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us5eblqTI_4[/video]​

The Rainbow Connection by Kermit the Frog. I was just given a spot in the local Karaoke All-Stars concert for this one. By the end, everybody in the bar was singing along. The KJ thought he had seen everything.

Turns out the main posse in this joint, the big dogs who are the best singers, were in the third grade when The Muppet Movie came out. This was the first song they all learned.

Suite Madam Blue

In honor of Election Day: Styx, "Suite Madam Blue":

[video=youtube;SInH7BLVGRk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SInH7BLVGRk[/video]​

Time after time, I sit and I wait for your call. I know I'm a fool, but what can I say? Whatever the price, I'll pay, for you, Madam Blue.

Once, long ago, a word from your lips and the world turned around. But somehow you changed; you're so far away. I long for the past, and dream of the days with you, Madam Blue.

Sweet Madam Blue, gaze in your looking glass. You're not a child anymore. Sweet Madam Blue, the future is all but past. So dressed in your jewels, you made your own rules—you conquered the world and more: Heaven's door.

America! America! America! America!

Red, White, and Blue, gaze in your looking glass! You're not a child anymore! Red, White, and Blue! The future is all but past! So lift up your heart, and make a new start, and lead us away from here!

[video=youtube;4ye4RT2TUcE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4ye4RT2TUcE[/video]
"Raise your glass to the hard working people
Let's drink to the uncounted heads
Let's think of the wavering millions
Who need leading but get gamblers instead

Spare a thought for the stay-at-home voter
His empty eyes gaze at strange beauty shows
And a parade of the gray suited grafters
A choice of cancer or polio"

"This is true Soul Music inspired by those who would remind us that we are not alone, and never have been alone, in our troubles, our suffering and or apparent loneliness. Even in the midst of darkness there is All light, if we would but go within and seek that pure essence for strength, wisdom and Love, we would become what we should be, and more importantly still, assist others to reach this Light in our own becoming. "

Hauntingly Beautiful

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...74DYBA&usg=AFQjCNFOjsihXTO56OuLAoAbK_YBtEseQg

I'm the oldest guy here. Am I the only one who listens to contemporary music? ;) Check out Lissie. She blew me away at the (perhaps last ever) Lilith Fair and I caught her show at the 9:30 Club a year later. She's dynamite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G0_eN36QVc

There's no 21st-century technology, tones, topics, 'tudes or techniques in her music to startle anybody who's still in the pre-Grunge age. She's just a singer with a powerful voice and some great songs.

Hey don't get me wrong, "classic rock" was a great era. I just saw Janis Ian a couple of weeks ago, CSN in August, and Zappa Plays Zappa for the third time.

Brubeck? Sure! I was in college then. We were all listening to "Time Out" and "Jazz Impressions of Eurasia."

Brubeck? Sure! I was in college then. We were all listening to "Time Out" and "Jazz Impressions of Eurasia."

I guess you actually did not open my link to that "Take 5" tune did you. For if you would have you would have seen a contemporary band playing it in their own style, unlike that of Brubeck. Paul Desmond is the composer, not Dave Brubeck. :confused:

I'm wondering where my post went from yesterday that I put here that was supposed to be approved by a MOD?:shrug:

I had never heard of Lissie before. She’s good. I also enjoyed Paloma Faith. I thought this one was good and I also liked her song “Just Be.”

[video=youtube;steC-8NSVIw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=steC-8NSVIw&feature=related[/video]

I guess you actually did not open my link to that "Take 5" tune did you.
Sorry, I was at the office and we can't get to those sites.

For if you would have you would have seen a contemporary band playing it in their own style, unlike that of Brubeck.
I'll have to check it out at home. Thanks for the tip. It seems like most "jazz bands" today play "smooth jazz" or "fusion" unless they're strictly retro. That means the lead is usually a sax, just as it was on the original version of "Take Five." That's ironic, considering that in the mid-50s the sax was poised to become the defining instrument of rock'n'roll, before Chuck Berry and Dwayne Eddy took over with the guitar. "Cool jazz" often featured the flute, but the piano was arguably the most prominent jazz solo instrument. Brubeck was a bit of an iconoclast, giving Paul Desmond so many saxophone solos. Desmond was a giant.

That song established the 5/4 time signature as legitimate territory for popular music. Most people still use the swing rhythm from "Take Five," a fifteen-beat with accents on 1-3-4-6-7-10-13.

Paul Desmond is the composer, not Dave Brubeck.
Sure, but it was Brubeck's band and Brubeck's album. Everybody from that generation still refers to it as a Brubeck song.

I'm wondering where my post went from yesterday that I put here that was supposed to be approved by a MOD?
Our spiffy new software engine has some bugs in it. Only a new member's first post is supposed to go into the moderation queue, to help us fend off the army of spam-bots that are clogging up the forum and making it difficult for legitimate new members to come on board. Instead, sometimes it intercepts posts from existing members and tosses them into the moderation queue, seemingly at random.

It takes a lot of time and effort for us to wade through that queue every day--sometimes there are dozens of spams--so please be patient. What many people do is simply re-post the same thing. Odds are that the second time it will not be intercepted.

Back