One More Car One More Rider Tour - Staples Center|Los Angeles|August 18/19 2001

Eric Clapton - Guitar, lead vocals
Billy Preston - Hammond B-3, keyboard instruments, backing vocals
Nathan East - Bass guitar, backing vocals
Andy Fairweather-Low - Guitar, backing vocals
Greg Phillinganes - Hammond B-3 organ, keyboard instruments, backing vocals
Steve Gadd - Drums and percussion

Eric Clapton - My Father's Eyes (Live)

The Soft Parade was the fourth album released by the Doors. It was a radical departure from the preceding bare-bones musical formula. TSP featured a heavy dose of horn and string arrangements. Morrison hated the album. But then again, his problem with alcoholism at this time was so bad that Robby Kreiger and Ray Manzarek wrote almost all of the album material. This album is by far their most sophisticated and melodic effort. The released single - Touch Me - reached #6 on the US charts. Below is track 1 from TSP. Bass guitar - Harvey Brooks.

The Doors - Tell All The People

Fogelberg eh? That reminded me of this which is in 3, pretty bold for the genre.

At the time I had one of these

fender-malibu-body.jpg

and was playing maybe this or maybe this.

I thought I heard some influences like that when I first heard Fogelberg. Another might be this or maybe this.

At the time I had one of these

ycs5.jpg

and hung a cassette player where the handlebar splits. I would cruise out into the country early on a Saturday morning, when the roads were so empty the birds were walking on them. I had mounted some pretty decent headphone speakers inside my helmet. I was a music major at the time, just as likely to be listening to this or maybe this.

In fact I was kind out there cruising just now with this post.

I hadn't thought of all of this until your Fogelberg link. It was one of the first tapes I'd taken out on the road like that.

You're right about the mix on Beggar's Game, too. It's clean.

Awesome, Xotica. I'm putting my eyes back in my head. And Steve Vai and Orianthi? Perfect matchup.

This is my bass.

nK8XC.png

It was given to me as an inducement to take a bass slot. My excuse was that I didn't have one. The rest of my horde are mostly guitars.

You got me thinking: power bass / female... How about Tal Wilkenfeld? Here she is with Jeff Beck:

And Steve Vai and Orianthi? Perfect matchup.
Indeed! Two of today's premier guitar-shredders.

This is my bass.

nK8XC.png

It was given to me as an inducement to take a bass slot. My excuse was that I didn't have one. The rest of my horde are mostly guitars.
It looks to be a single-pickup (copy?) of a Fender Jazz Bass. I have around 20 bass guitars (long/short scale, fretted/fretless, round/flat wound, 4/5 string, etc) and an electric upright.

You got me thinking: power bass / female... How about Tal Wilkenfeld? Here she is with Jeff Beck:

Tal is beautiful and a premier bassist! One of my many influences. I've done studio demo work with some of the artists I have posted on these pages.

Yep. Jazz Bass rip-off/sorta. Not too bad on the action, though, and perfect intonation. 20 eh? I think that constitutes a music store. Yeah I can see how, between 4/5 strings, acoustic/electric, fretted/non and flat vs round wound that would start to occupy.. well we can do permutations in the math threads. (For some reason I have an aversion to flatwound strings.)

I've been in about half a dozen studios, mostly trying to get engineering gigs, but only did one demo. And it was way back in high school. It's pure candy, though, all that perfection built-in like that. What a rush. You must have a blast.

Wow, Olivia Newton John. If Steve Vai resurrects Zappa she reminds me of Travolta. Talk about polarity. Nice choice, never heard that piece. I like the edgy retro-western guitar fills, too. Maybe following that would be this rendition of

The First Time.

Back