What's on your iPod?

After watching the new episode of Doctor Who, I now have Toni Basil's "Mickey" stuck in my mental iPod.

Galantis, "Peanut Butter Jelly"

My latest earworm; it really is very nearly a shame. No, seriously, it's not even a hidden treasure or secret great song. This is just filthy pop of the song, made for fucking.

Samm Henshaw – Autonomy

This song reminded me of Durkheim’s Suicide. It’s a good read.

To Durkheim, suicide was not the ultimate expression of individual autonomy. It was the severance of all social ties. Therefore, it was not a personal issue, but a social one. What seems like the most individual act that a person could ever commit is actually profoundly social in its causes.

So, to some extent, we will always be a slave to society.

What is more, social forces can be assimilated by the individual to the point where they operate on an automatic, instinctual level, in which the individual is unaware of the effect society has on their tastes, moral inclinations, or even their perception of reality. Social forces thus comprise an unconscious “substructure” of the mind, in which they have to varying degrees been incorporated by the individual. In consequence, if an individual wants to know themselves, they must understand the society of which they are a part, and how this society has a direct impact on their existence.

Critics have gone so far as to accuse Durkheim of being anti-individual due in part to his consistent claims that the individual is derived from society.

Such critics, however, misconstrue a number of elements of Durkheim’s thought. To begin, there is an important individual component to society in that it is both external andinternal to individuals.It should also be remembered that social facts are the result of a fusion ofindividual consciences. As such there is a delicate interplay between the individual and society whereby the individual not only maintains their individuality, but is also able to enrich the field of social forces by contributing to it their own personal thoughts and feelings.

In another sense, critics claiming that Durkheim is anti-individual overlook his analysis of modern society. As discussed above, according to Durkheim’s theory of the division of labor, as societies develop, they cultivate differences between individuals by necessity. This grants individuals an increasing amount of freedom to develop their personality. At least in Western society, the development of and respect for individualism has grown to such an extent that it has become the object of a cult; the individual is a sacred object and the protection of individual liberties and human dignity has been codified into moral principles. Granted that this individualism is itself a product of collective life, modern society, if anything, encourages individual autonomy, diversity, and freedom of thought as shared social norms.

http://www.iep.utm.edu/durkheim/#H7

Afro Celt Sound System: "Go on Through" (Capture)

This song melts me. It's a feeling.

I've been thinking about this love; I'm thinking about it. I'm thinking about this love so hard, so hard. I've been thinking about my life, and how it's going to turn, and all I really want to do is find a way to go on through. And all I really want to do now is find a way to go on through. So out on the tide we go; out on it. So out on the highest waves, so high, so high. So out on the tide we go, knowing it will turn. And all I really want to do is find a way to go on through. And all I really want to do now is find a way to go on through. And all I really want to do, all I really want to do is find a way to go on through find a way to go on through.

Back