What's on your iPod?

The Wayward Wind
Gogi Grant (Myrtle Audrey Arinsberg), 1956! I probably haven't heard that since 1961, when it spuriously made it back onto the top 100. Even though I don't much care for vocal music from before the rock era, I've always had a soft spot for girl singers. I still like some of the ones from that era, like Julie London.

"Gogi" is 85 and still performing.

We should all be so lucky:
  • To be able to earn a living by making people happy.
  • To still be doing it at that age!

One of my favorites! I've sung it myself, back in my days as a guitar-pickin' folksinger. It was written by Willie Nelson in 1961, when he was hanging out with two other unknown singer-songwriters named Roger Miller ("King of the Road") and Kris Kristofferson ("Me and Bobby McGee").

Patsy Cline didn't want to do it because it was too fast for her style, but her producer came up with the slower arrangement that reached #2 on the country charts and launched Nelson's career. Hot on the heels of her country-pop crossover megahit "I Fall to Pieces," it didn't do any harm to Cline's career either.

Nelson has recorded his song twice. According to Secondhand Songs, 81 other covers have been released steadily over the years, including Norah Jones, Crystal Gayle, Bobby Vinton, Shirley Bassey, Four Bitchin' Babes, Julio Iglesias, Diana Krall, Dobie Gray and LeAn Rimes, who sang it at the White House.

It's a staple for country music bar bands and karaoke sessions. Even though Cline's familiar rendition is a country shuffle, it was carefully recorded without a fiddle, steel guitar or other overt trappings of country music and was a big hit on pop radio at a time when the shuffle beat (a fast six-beat with 2 and 5 suppressed, and in the rock era with 4 accented) was still common in rock music. It shows up on virtually every list of "most popular rock and roll songs." One industry survey ranks it as the #1 song on American jukeboxes. Ross Perot used it in his 1992 presidential campaign.

Morning tunes

• Toad the Wet Sprocket, Fear
• Mark Lanegan, Whiskey for the Holy Ghost

Back