What's his name? Immanuel or Jesus?

PLEASE! Quit putting words in my mouth! That's equivalent to lying and manipulation.

He doesn't need to put words in your mouth, you've already been majorly busted by Consequent Atheist for cutting and pasting someone else's material from the Yahoo message boards. Which is equivalent to lying and manipulation, but now you'll tell us it was just oversight on your part, right?

Originally posted by Bridge
He doesn't need to put words in your mouth, you've already been majorly busted by Consequent Atheist for cutting and pasting someone else's material from the Yahoo message boards. Which is equivalent to lying and manipulation, but now you'll tell us it was just oversight on your part, right?
----------
M*W: ONCE I posted a c&p article without the reference which I deleted inadvertently. I don't have to pretend I've written something that was authored by someone else. You don't know me. You don't know if I'm published or not. Why do you presume to know me? I don't give a rat's ass what CA says. He's a phony. I don't even think it's a he. I don't care. He's on 6 other philosophical forums and doesn't contribute anything intellectual there either! All he posts are his snippy negative comments pretending that he's knowledgeable in some areas. He has no substance, and neither do you.

ONCE I posted a c&p article without the reference which I deleted inadvertently.

Of course, the one time only, the sun was in my eyes, my dog ate my homework, I deleted it inadvertently excuse. How silly of me to expect any honesty from a person who has a proven track record of obfuscation and dishonesty.

You don't know me.

Thank God.

You don't know if I'm published or not.
You're not or you would've blabbed incessantly about it by now.

Why do you presume to know me? I don't give a rat's ass what CA says. He's a phony. I don't even think it's a he. I don't care. He's on 6 other philosophical forums and doesn't contribute anything intellectual there either! All he posts are his snippy negative comments pretending that he's knowledgeable in some areas. He has no substance, and neither do you.

He or she has way more class in their pinkie toe than you'll ever have.

Originally posted by Bridge
Of course, the one time only, the sun was in my eyes, my dog ate my homework, I deleted it inadvertently excuse. How silly of me to expect any honesty from a person who has a proven track record of obfuscation and dishonesty.

Thank God.

You're not or you would've blabbed incessantly about it by now.

He or she has way more class in their pinkie toe than you'll ever have.

Do you really think I care what your opinion of me is? In the greater scheme of things, you are nobody. Even in the lesser scheme of things, you're just another nobody.

Originally posted by Medicine*Woman
----------
M*W: "The problem with Christians reading the Jewish Bible, which they refer to as the "old testament", is the unknowledgable Christian knows nothing about the Jewish history.
you are too funny, the "Old Testament" is Jewish history, what do you think it is? the history of China?

Re: What's in a name?

Originally posted by Medicine*Woman
When writing the name "Christ," it is quite common to abbreviate it as "X" or "x," representing the first letter (chi) of the Greek XPICTOC khristos.

I suggest the xians get off their high-horse and realize they're a dying breed. To nit-pick over being referred to as "xians" is ignorant, but then, what else is new?
Luckily, I don't have to take your marching orders, you are the only 'xian' I know, an x-Christian. dying breed? wishful thinking

Originally posted by Randolfo
you are too funny, the "Old Testament" is Jewish history, what do you think it is? the history of China?

Actually, it's ancient mythology which has been corrupted by priestly perversions. There was no Abraham or Moses, no mass captivity in, nor exodus out of, Egypt. These are all allegorical stories that have their parallels in other, older mythologies. Much of the original meaning has been lost because of the Literalists, which has created a great deal of unnecessary havoc in the world.

Looking back at this thread's posts, I came upon a revelation: We're supposed to be discussing the whole Jesus or Immanuel thing. It is really my fault that we originally got off topic(Moral of the story: never try to answer a statement that hasn't been stated yet) . I know most of you couldn't care less about this, but I just wanted to throw that out.

Originally posted by Nehushta
Actually, it's ancient mythology which has been corrupted by priestly perversions. There was no Abraham or Moses, no mass captivity in, nor exodus out of, Egypt. These are all allegorical stories that have their parallels in other, older mythologies. Much of the original meaning has been lost because of the Literalists, which has created a great deal of unnecessary havoc in the world.

How much of the Old Testament is allegorical? All of it?

Originally posted by jcarl
Looking back at this thread's posts, I came upon a revelation: We're supposed to be discussing the whole Jesus or Immanuel thing.
"What's in a name? A rose by any other name would smell as sweet". Is it what you call it, or is it what it is?

Seriously, if you look at Hebrew names they all have meanings, and not just arbitrary meanings either. This is especially true for prophecy, because the name is part of the prophecy.

Prophecies frequently have two fulfillments, the immediate one, which prompts it, and then a greater, future implication. The immediate application usually informs the greater fulfillment. There would have been a child born who was called Immanuel (God with us), but Jesus was Immanuel - called thus by his disciples (Matt. 1:23).

Last edited:
Originally posted by Jenyar
That's the easy way out. It's allegorical and historical.

Please name an event described in the OT you consider historical, with proof that it was indeed historical.

Here is a response in a letter from the Smithsonian Institute:

‘ … On the other hand, much of the Bible, in particular the historical books of the old testament, are as accurate historical documents as any that we have from antiquity and are in fact more accurate than many of the Egyptian, Mesopotamian, or Greek histories.

‘These Biblical records can be and are used as are other ancient documents in archeological work. For the most part, historical events described took place and the peoples cited really existed. This is not to say … that every event as reported in the historical books happened exactly as stated.’

- the Smithsonian's statement on the Bible

As I'm sure you know - different people will report the same history differently. That does not mean something never happened. It's also impossible to infer whether an event happened from archaeological data - even if every place and name mentioned can be proved to exist (and there are many instances where a place or name in the Bible was thought to be mythological that have subsequently been found).

Here is a response in a letter from the Smithsonian Institute:

‘ … On the other hand, much of the Bible, in particular the historical books of the old testament, are as accurate historical documents as any that we have from antiquity and are in fact more accurate than many of the Egyptian, Mesopotamian, or Greek histories.

‘These Biblical records can be and are used as are other ancient documents in archeological work. For the most part, historical events described took place and the peoples cited really existed. This is not to say … that every event as reported in the historical books happened exactly as stated.’

- the Smithsonian's statement on the Bible

Where did the author of that page state that the above quotes were taken from a letter from the Smithsonian Institute? Here was the opening paragraph on that page:

"The Smithsonian's department of Anthropology has received numerous inquiries in recent years regarding the historicity of the Bible in general, and the Biblical account of Noah's flood in particular. The following statement has been prepared to answer these questions..."

It may very well be a true statement that the Smithsonian's Department of Anthropology has received numerous inquiries in recent years regarding the historicity of the bible. It is also obviously true that the statement that followed was prepared for the purpose of answering those questions, but by whom was it prepared, and where is it published (aside from that webpage)? I noticed there was no link to an original Smithsonian document, so I have to assume this is just more of the usual smoke and mirrors from the Christian sector. :rolleyes:

Sorry, I didn't realize the link wasn't to the original publication.

How much of your case are you willing to rest on the chance that it wasn't prepared by the Smithsonian itself?

Sorry, I didn't realize the link wasn't to the original publication.

How much of your case are you willing to rest on the chance that it wasn't prepared by the Smithsonian itself?

Until I see the original Smithsonian article, I will dismiss this as evidence (as would any competent judge).

Originally posted by Nehushta
Until I see the original Smithsonian article, I will dismiss this as evidence (as would any competent judge).
My feeling is that you'll dissmiss them anyway.

Unfortunately it seems you have to write to them for the statements (they have one about the book of Mormon as well):

"Write to the National Museum of Natural History (Smithsonian Institute, Washington, DC 20560) or the National Geographic Society (Washington, DC 20036) and ask for their statements on the Bible."

Here is the quote I have from National Geographic, if you are interested:

The National Geographic Society states:
But archaeologists do indeed find the Bible a valuable reference tool, and have used it many times for geographic relationships, old names, and relative chronologies. On the enclosed list, you will find many articles concerning discoveries verifying events discussed in the Bible [more than thirty articles are listed].

In the meantime I'll continue to look for credited online versions, for your benefit.

In the meantime I'll continue to look for credited online versions, for your benefit.

Thank you. I will take a look at those when you post them.

"What's in a name? A rose by any other name would smell as sweet". Is it what you call it, or is it what it is?

Seriously, if you look at Hebrew names they all have meanings, and not just arbitrary meanings either. This is especially true for prophecy, because the name is part of the prophecy.

Prophecies frequently have two fulfillments, the immediate one, which prompts it, and then a greater, future implication. The immediate application usually informs the greater fulfillment. There would have been a child born who was called Immanuel (God with us), but Jesus was Immanuel - called thus by his disciples (Matt. 1:23).

I agree wholeheartedly, but the issue is that MW brought up was that it was against prophecy to call Jesus "Jesus." This is flawed simply because the usage of Immanuel is a characterization in Hebrew, just as the names mentioned in Isaiah 9:6 are characterizations.

Nehushta,
So pretty much all of the OT is mythical. Are you including David, Solomon, the temple, the captivity, etc. in this statement?

Back