What was this?

Hypnogogic and hypnopompic hallucinations are rare, but do occur to many people. Particularly among young people, ostensibly because there is still some development occuring in the brain. There are even those that suggest that these types of hallucinations are more frequent than believed since they may not be remembered or may be explained away by those that experience them as "dreams," which is essentially what they are.

The former hallucination occurs soon after falling asleep, the latter just before waking up. The person experiencing such hallucinations will occasionally believe that he or she is fully awake and the memory is sometimes clear like that of an actual event.

I wouldn't let it worry you too much, but if you're interested in reading further, I'd suggest Missing Pieces, by Robert A. Baker and Joe Nickell.

The next time this happens, if it should happen again, roll your butt over and see what the hell is going on then you'll have the answer and you want need to post this question ever again. I mean really if I'm hearing someone praying in the room with me and the only other person in the house is my mom and I know beyond the shadow of a doubt that it's not my moms voice, well hell you had better believe I'm gonna (1) investigate and/or (2) get the hell out of Dodge. Then again maybe it was the dog praying. Yes thats it the dog gets up every night to pray while you all are sleep. Dogs pray, you've found their secret! I beg you never let the dog know you heard him or the consequences could be.... I just shudder to think what could happen. :eek:

Back