What to do with teenager secret and illegal stuff?

Syzygys

As a mother, I am telling you
Valued Senior Member
Scenario:

Let's say you discover your teenagers' illegal although not too serious substance's (beer, weed) hidding place. (not cocaine or automatic weapons)They don't know you know it and it is in a community place outside where everyone could get to it. Although there is a little ambiguity about the "ownership" of the stuff, there is a good chance it is your kids' and friends'.

1. Do you remove it or just monitor it?

2. If you remove it, do you tell them it was you? They might get pissed. :)

3. Do you confront them about it? What if they weren't the ones hidding it?

4. Let's say it is not your kids'. Do you still have the right to mess with it? (it is in a community place) Hey, you might could use it!

I wouldn't touch it at all. I'd just walk away.

Teenagers learn very little from parents interference. They do learn from experience and their peers far more often. If I can find it, likely others will be able to find it too and will either confront them or steal it for themselves. Either way, it's just beer or weed. I know that I did it as a teenager and am not any worse off now because of it. I'm not a pot head or an alcoholic, and I didn't binge on that stuff in college either because I already had a lot of it out of my system by then. We had several kids from my high school die in alcohol and weed related deaths. One was a friend I used to toke with fairly regularly off campus, and one night he was riding high with his sister driving and decided to ride half out the passenger window while she drove and he got his head taken off by a passing truck. The fallout from that was tremendous, and it's a lesson that stuck with me.

I dunno, I guess I'm the wrong person to ask. Unless I see visable signs that my teenager was in any trouble, I don't think I'd interfere. What good would it do them to get "busted" by their parents except add to their already angry attitude towards me? Not worth losing my ground any more than raging teenage hormones had already taken.

I have a 13 year old, so this isn't far off for me.

I'd have a nice conversation with them about weed, beer etc., to just see what they have to say about those substances and how they now view them. By not disclosing that you know about their stash, you will allow them to be honest with you first if they want to be.

What good would it do them to get "busted" by their parents except add to their already angry attitude towards me?

As a parent, you shouldn't be affraid of your kids or worry about their angry attitude. After all why would they be angry? Today's kids get the whole world served up on a silver dish, if you know what I mean.

Now the question is this: As a member of the community should one just close his/her eyes and walk away? Let's suppose the stuff is not his/her kids', but eventually it ends up being used at a party and the event after the party lead to an accident. Wouldn't the person knowing the hidden place partly responsible???

I generally give them credit for being streetwise (aka trying to outsmart me) but if one can discover the stuff that easily that is not streetwise and they should learn at least that lesson to hide the secret stuff better. :)

Also ask yourself, what if it is your kid's stuff and another adult/parent discovers it? Wouldn't you expect him to report/confiscate it???

Scenario:

Let's say you discover your teenagers' illegal although not too serious substance's (beer, weed) hidding place. (not cocaine or automatic weapons)They don't know you know it and it is in a community place outside where everyone could get to it. Although there is a little ambiguity about the "ownership" of the stuff, there is a good chance it is your kids' and friends'.

1. Do you remove it or just monitor it? Beer, tell him to get it out of my house. Weed, throw it away in front of him. My husband will be retrieving it later.
2. If you remove it, do you tell them it was you? They might get pissed. :) I remove it in front of him. I don't care if he's pissed.
3. Do you confront them about it? What if they weren't the ones hidding it? Yes, I confront him. He knows the rules and it his job to make sure his friends know the rules for our house.
4. Let's say it is not your kids'. Do you still have the right to mess with it? (it is in a community place) Hey, you might could use it!

My son is now 18, but still in high school. My rules have become less rigid. I figure if he's old enough to die in Iraq, he's old enough for fun things. But he's also old enough to use his brains. Its still illegal and he doesn't need to be blantantly doing it in the house.
And I know of no community place, other than school. And that would be incredibly stupid on his part.

Community place: parks, woods, roadsides,etc.

The thing is that the party would take place most likely either outside or at some other friend's house where I assume the parents are not home.

Now nowadays parents have to worry about being sued for all kind of reasons. Thus if a damaged kid's parent figures out that you had previous knowledge of the secret stuff and you did nothing, you might get sued for negligence...(and I might agree with that)

I dunno. The responsible kind? Again: suability!

Scenario: They end up dead driving home from the party and the dead kid's parents learn that you KNEW about the party, there goes your innocence...

As a parent, you shouldn't be affraid of your kids or worry about their angry attitude. After all why would they be angry? Today's kids get the whole world served up on a silver dish, if you know what I mean.

You think that kids today get served the world on a silver dish? Can you puff puff pass that over here, because dayum.

Our children have seen horrific things happen like wars, bombings, and ecological events like Hurricane Katrina, the 2004 Tsunami... and it makes them angry. They see it everywhere they go, because media is prolific in their lives. And the clear response to the fear of these things becomes anger. They see parents struggle to make ends meet, and they watch their heroes and idols on TV going to jail or getting busted for steroids, drunk driving, drugs, and violence. And they get angry. They see governments paying for things that they will have to pay off in their lifetimes but have parents who can't afford college and they get angry.

Teenagers are young adults. They are old enough to understand the ramifications of the worlds events, and too young to take and responsibility or do anything about it. Teenagers are going to make mistakes, the same mistakes we would make if we didn't have the responsibilities that we do. It's a bit of escapism from the harsh realities of their lives. Most teenagers come from middle class homes, not upper class mansions, and the truth down her ein the trenches is a hard one and I don't envy the next 70 years of their lives.

I trust that I have raised my children to have common sense and make the right decisions for themselves and I haven't been proven wrong yet. My kids make good choices in peers, and have built good support systems around themselves. They speak to me honestly and frankly about things (girls, drugs, other kids problems) because they know I'm not going to fly off the handle and get angry. When my son is old enough to bring it up, I will have a discussion with him about weed and will explain to him that I'd rather have him try to smoke a joint in our house than out driving around and doing something stupid. Let him experience how it effects his motor functions and mindset while he's somewhere safe instead of where adrenelin can make the experience seem more out of control. I don't see the harm in it, and the more you come down on kids, the more they will hide from you. The less you trust how you raised them, the farther they will drift away from you.

I will not let other children in my house to do anything illegal though. I will not throw parties, and there is even a paddlock on my beer fridge in the garage. I trust my own kids, but I know that other parents are idiots.

So what if another parent finds the stash and calls the authorities? I'd find my child a good lawyer if it came to that and defend him. Why would I ever tell anyone about what I found anyhow?

If you cannot trust your own kids then you have done a lousy job at bringing them up!:eek:

pffft. :rolleyes:Kids always try and get something over on their parents. My folks did, I did, and my kids will. Its not how they were raised, its just kids growing up.

Why not smoke it yourself, then tell them you "got rid of it" .

Yeah, but the effect of flushing the toilet then throwing the stems in so it looks like you really did flush it... has that "shock and awe" to it

But really the best thing is to talk to them about it.. after "flushing it " of course

:m: :shh::m:

Originally Posted by PieAreSquared
Why not smoke it yourself, then tell them you "got rid of it" ....

I don't smoke, weed or otherwise.

If your going to quote someone.. use all of it

But really the best thing is to talk to them about it.. after "flushing it " of course

Back