What the hell!!!

The punishment for that kind of calculated theft has to be severe enough to deter the crime even if the chances of getting caught are low.

Pieces of the statues are worth a lot, to collectors etc. If the risk is 6 months in jail, the chances of getting caught are one in a hundred, and an ear sells for 1000 dollars, there won't be any ears left in a decade.

IIRC the US has lost at least one national park that way - set up on a place covered with petrified trees and wood, fascinating landscape. After a few years there wasn't enough petrified wood left to justify the park.

Here's my reply:
ww.helsinki.fi/~pjojala...
then the link to the 'Easter Island' in
...Easter-island-broken-ear-Tintti-ja-sarkynyt-korva.htm

This countryman of mine has been lynched high. There were more column meters published on the death of Princess Diana than there were on the invasion at Normanny. Soon there will be more column meters on this earlobe of the moai statute (1 out of 400-1000, the hungry media does not even know the number) than there are columns on the massive Buddha statutes annihilated by the Taleban regime!

A high-octan, adrenaline addict adventurer climbs on a top of a high and sacred monument. Bad enough. The Finn brokes the ear of this fragile lava type of stone. Worse enough. My countryman tries to hide it and runs away. Worst enough. (OK, Oll Korrect, he confessed what happened later on.) But this does not prove him a thief though the whole globe would shout and shoot so! It was the Easter week at the Easter Island. THe same week that the Finnish leaders of the Botnia pulp factory at the border river between Uruguay and Argentine were on trial in a South American court for "Planned damage". After Finnish flags had been burnt in the streets of Argentine for 3 years for this biggest investment ever to the poor country of Uruguay. Come on, guys! We have a classical scape goat and red herring here!

It is alarming that the raging majority of the Internet considers that 7 years in a local prison would be even too light a punishment for breaking the ear. Ear for an ear - and more. The command 'Thou shall not kill' is as often violated as any other command. Every time we call somebody a madman and shout at him, we are killing him in heart. We are oppressing his self esteem - and in my country suicide is a common tragedy. Where to get a justification for living upon accusations? The etymology of the word Satan is in "Accuser". The world already has enough of those. Do you want to join the ranks? An outrageous mob wanting to lynch a man is an old scene, only the internet phenomenon is new. A raging mob behaves irrationally when it goes out to lynch. The Unesco World Heritage was meant to do with true history and nobility of the native cultures. A juridical murder hanging high a possibly innocent solitary fellow hiking alone at the end of the world is in 180 degree opposition to the Unesco Heritage ethos!

Matthew 5:21-24: "Ye have heard that it was said of them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:
But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire."

THe same week that the Finnish leaders of the Botnia pulp factory at the border river between Uruguay and Argentine were on trial in a South American court for "Planned damage". After Finnish flags had been burnt in the streets of Argentine for 3 years for this biggest investment ever to the poor country of Uruguay. Come on, guys! We have a classical scape goat and red herring here!

But Easter Island is part of Chile. This would be something like Sweden scapegoating an American tourist because of what an American corporation did in Denmark.

I mean, I agree. 7 years is too much. But if someone went and peed on the Mona Lisa, the French might match that.

But Easter Island is part of Chile. This would be something like Sweden scapegoating an American tourist because of what an American corporation did in Denmark.

I mean, I agree. 7 years is too much. But if someone went and peed on the Mona Lisa, the French might match that.

If he survived the beating he would take from the tourists around him.

7 years is extremely harsh in this case. He didn't even bring tools to do this with so it was not a planned action. An easy way to show some compassion is sentence him for the seven years. Let him serve sixty one days like the kid. Then send him home with the understanding that he is most definately not welcome back. That would be fitting.

Make an encasement around him, put him up next to the other monuments for a year and let visitors take parts off of him! :D

....Kulju used his hands to tear off the earlobe, which fell to the ground and broke into pieces measuring 8 to 12 inches each, Easter Island Police Chief Cristian Gonzalez told The Associated Press in a telephone interview. Kulju ran away with at least one of the pieces from the 13-foot tall Moai, he said. ....

Not feeling too bad for him. What if he 'used his hands to tear off the wing which fell to the ground and...."
Ac.nike.jpg

I think what we think is beautiful, art, etc plays a part in how outraged we are. Its not like he picked up a piece he found, he broke it on purpose.

"Penalties vary. Argentine law provides for sentences for cruelty to animals of 15 days to one year imprisonment; however, prosecutions are rare.(16) Peru has significant penalties—loss of up to 300 days wages and a prohibition on future animal ownership.(12) Substantial fines and sometimes prison terms may be imposed under Chilean, Mexican, or Colombian legislation.(17) However, where there is fighting and violence, the law is ignored and animals suffer."

"In Chile there is legislation before Parliament on animal abuse/ cruelty which has not yet been approved."

http://www.vin.com/VINDBPub/SearchPB/Proceedings/PR05000/PR00019.htm

Let them do something about that first before whining about some stupid old statues.
I bet I can find more..

It does sound like the animal rights groups and so-called humane societies are out of control. I would do something about that.

7 years is extremely harsh in this case. He didn't even bring tools to do this with so it was not a planned action. An easy way to show some compassion is sentence him for the seven years. Let him serve sixty one days like the kid. Then send him home with the understanding that he is most definately not welcome back. That would be fitting.
I think that's pretty fair actually.

Back