What the hell!!!

lucifers angel

same shit, differant day!!
Registered Senior Member
SANTIAGO, Chile - A Finnish tourist was detained after allegedly stealing a piece of volcanic rock from one of the massive Moai statues on Easter Island.

Marko Kulju, 26, faces seven years in prison and a fine of $19,100 if convicted of stealing pieces of the right earlobe from a Moai, one of numerous statues carved out of volcanic rock between 400 and 1,000 years ago to represent deceased ancestors.

A native Rapanui woman told authorities she witnessed the theft Sunday at Anakena beach and saw Kulju fleeing from the scene with a piece of the statue in his hand. Police later identified him by the tattoos the woman saw on his body.

---------

Kulju used his hands to tear off the earlobe, which fell to the ground and broke into pieces measuring 8 to 12 inches each, Easter Island Police Chief Cristian Gonzalez told The Associated Press in a telephone interview. Kulju ran away with at least one of the pieces from the 13-foot tall Moai, he said.

"Fortunately, this type of thing does not happen every day, but it does happen, and it is almost impossible to control because on Easter Island there are sites of great archaeological value everywhere and the park guards cannot prevent all such incidents," Easter Island government official Liliana Castro told the AP.

Authorities are inspecting the statue to see if it can be repaired, Castro said. Damaging Moais is punishable under a law protecting national monuments.

While some of the island's 400 Moais are more than 70 feet tall, most have an average height of 20 feet and weigh about 20 metric tons.

The statues gaze out on the south Pacific more than 2,300 miles west of Chile, which annexed Easter Island in the 19th century.

The Moais were nominated, but not chosen, as one of the new seven wonders of the world, selected by average citizens in a global poll conducted by a nonprofit organization last year. Among the monuments edging them out of the competition were India's Taj Mahal, the Great Wall of China and Rome's Colosseum.

About 3,800 people, the majority of them ethnic Rapanui, live on 70 square-mile Easter Island.

img_7.jpg

what went through his head! people like that make me sick to the bone!

no i dont think so! Its 7yrs has a deterant to other people! and besides those statues have been there for 400/1000 yrs, and it took him just a minute to vandalise one!

I agree he should get a fitting punishment. But it's not like he totally destroyed an entire statue.. he just grabbed a small piece.
Seven years is way to much. I think a year would already be stretching it. Just my view on it though :)

I agree he should get a fitting punishment. But it's not like he totally destroyed an entire statue.. he just grabbed a small piece.
Seven years is way to much. I think a year would already be stretching it. Just my view on it though :)

that statue will never be the same again, he deserves what he got, he was ignorant to the beauty of them and he should do 7yrs

Enmos what if i ripped the nose off the mona lisa. What would i get for that?

Enmos what if i ripped the nose off the mona lisa. What would i get for that?

Hmm that's physical abuse.. lol :p

But really, I think physical abuse should be punished much more severely than damaging an ancient statue.

Im not sure its not. But lets look at this logically on the basis of what will be more damaging long term

If you spit in my face thats criminal abuse (and civil battery actually) and i will probably get over that reasonably quickly

The same if you punched me in a bar fight, even the emotional stuff wouldnt last longer than a couple of years

This damage will last FOR EVER.
So yes it should be punished HARSHLY

"Penalties vary. Argentine law provides for sentences for cruelty to animals of 15 days to one year imprisonment; however, prosecutions are rare.(16) Peru has significant penalties—loss of up to 300 days wages and a prohibition on future animal ownership.(12) Substantial fines and sometimes prison terms may be imposed under Chilean, Mexican, or Colombian legislation.(17) However, where there is fighting and violence, the law is ignored and animals suffer."

"In Chile there is legislation before Parliament on animal abuse/ cruelty which has not yet been approved."

http://www.vin.com/VINDBPub/SearchPB/Proceedings/PR05000/PR00019.htm

Let them do something about that first before whining about some stupid old statues.
I bet I can find more..

And in the U.S. they sent a guy to prison for life over a slice of pizza.

Here's the sad thing: some people actually cheered for that.

Seven years for busting up a holy relic? Hard call. On the one hand, it seems a bit steep. To the other, this is one of those things that's just bloody obvious.

Okay, I just saw a picture of padded lampposts on a London street

—and all I could think of was Eddie Monsoon's glorious courtroom tantrum about a "Stupidity Tax".

I mean, really ... this was .... monumental stupidity.

(No, that last link doesn't have much to do with anything, but still ....)

Oh come one guys! The poor fellow was not "(he deserves what he got, he was) ignorant to the beauty of them and he should do 7yrs"!

It was precisely the other way around: The impression the statutes made on him struck him with awe. So he wanted to have a bit of them as a souvenier to somebody, as the interview said. Probably to his girlfriend/wife.

I don't know from which country you guys are from. But in our place a foreigner would not get 7 years for the same crime that a countrymen and minister's son gets 61 days!

I mean, is this common practice somewhere? I would call it God-damned corruption if that is the case! That son of the Chilean minister even hew parts of the statutes by big hammers, whereas the impulsive tourist got a piece by hand. Probably the piece was loose already since it gave up. That piece can be fixed.

So they're valuable because they're old? They were just monuments to the ego of tribal leaders, and manifestations of ecological stupidity.

Oh come one guys! The poor fellow was not "(he deserves what he got, he was) ignorant to the beauty of them and he should do 7yrs"!

It was precisely the other way around: The impression the statutes made on him struck him with awe. So he wanted to have a bit of them as a souvenier to somebody, as the interview said. Probably to his girlfriend/wife.

I don't know from which country you guys are from. But in our place a foreigner would not get 7 years for the same crime that a countrymen and minister's son gets 61 days!

I mean, is this common practice somewhere? I would call it God-damned corruption if that is the case! That son of the Chilean minister even hew parts of the statutes by big hammers, whereas the impulsive tourist got a piece by hand. Probably the piece was loose already since it gave up. That piece can be fixed.

that is just a stupid thing to say, how about we vandalise the mona lisa, or the statue of liberty, how about we take home a piece of stone hendge, is that right?

Back