What right aliens have to bitch about humans?

Syzygys

As a mother, I am telling you
Valued Senior Member
None. I was thinking about the premise of the movie remake of The day the Earth stood still, and if you think about it a little, it is pretty illogical.

It basicly is: If you don't stop destroying your planet, we will destroy you.

Well, first, we don't need help with destroying anything, we are doing it just fine, second, just what kind of universal right you base your bitching upon???

It is our planet, we destroy it if we feel like it or if we are too stupid. Social darwinism at its best...

None. I was thinking about the premise of the movie remake of The day the Earth stood still, and if you think about it a little, it is pretty illogical. It basicly is: If you don't stop destroying your planet, we will destroy you.

Why do you think it's illogical? We take a similar approach ourselves right now.
We don't allow, say, a factory to dump it's manufacturing waste directly into rivers and lakes.
Sewer is not permitted to be dumped directly into rivers and lakes.
We're not permitted to cut timber wantonly, even though it could be sold easily.
We're not permitted to set fire to vast acres of forests.
We're beginning to place limits on the amount of pollutants that we pump into the atmosphere.
We place limits on killing of wildlife in an attempt to help them survive.
We have strict laws that set aside limits on certain animals as "near-extinct".

The aliens just take things a little further, that's all.

Baron Max

We don't allow, say, a factory to dump it's manufacturing waste directly into rivers and lakes.

In certain places in America they do get away with doing that and in other countries that have no regulations like China, India and Russia they all just dump their contaminated waste anywhere they want to.

Sewer is not permitted to be dumped directly into rivers and lakes.

Again in certain places in America they do it and many sewage treatment centers are overloaded so that they never treat the sewage completely enough before dumping it into rivers, lakes and oceans.

We're not permitted to cut timber wantonly, even though it could be sold easily.

America has recently implemented this policy but just 10 years ago or so there was no such law. Many other countries do not follow this idea like in the Amazon where they cut and burn everything in their path leaving barren land behind as well in many other countries.

We're not permitted to set fire to vast acres of forests.

Yes we can and just recently in the Yellowstone National Park they set fire to over one hundred thousand acres to rid it of "unwanted" growth.

We're beginning to place limits on the amount of pollutants that we pump into the atmosphere.

In America that is somewhat true but for most of the other countries, they don't.

We place limits on killing of wildlife in an attempt to help them survive.

Only endangered ones, I have yet to see limits on how many deer you can kill, true one hunter can kill only so many per season but then there are more and more hunters hunting them today. In other countries they show no concern over their wildlife and kill at will.

We have strict laws that set aside limits on certain animals as "near-extinct".

The limit is that in America you can't kill them but every other country doesn't follow that at all. Look at Japan and the whales as well as the dolphins they kill because they get caught in their tuna nets.

America does try and do things to help but only in a very limited way. All other countries don't follow Americas ways very much and keep doing whatever they feel like doing. :mad:

In certain places in America they do get away with doing that and in other countries that have no regulations like China, India and Russia they all just dump their contaminated waste anywhere they want to.

I think you completely missed the point of my post!

Yes, in some places like America and Europe, we're acting in much the same way as the aliens in the movie. The aliens have just taken the punishment phase a little further, that's all.

And like SAM said ....think of it as the aliens as farmers using pesticides to get rid of destructive pests. The aliens are the "farmers" of the universe ...spray humans as nothing more than destructive pests.

Baron Max

There is not an uncommon plot for Sci Fi movies/books.

There is a limited amount of usable energy in the universe so if we are deemed 'wasteful' by some sort of alien overlord what's to stop them from wiping us out?
The answer is it would make for a very depressing book. :D

There is a limited amount of usable energy in the universe so if we are deemed 'wasteful' by some sort of alien overlord what's to stop them from wiping us out?

No, it doesn't have to be depressing at all. I remember reading a novel ages ago about just such a happening. But the aliens saved a few people, maybe the Amish or something lke that, who had no modern equipment and farmed by hand and with horses. The aliens gave those people the whole planet and "disappeared" all the others.

If you think about it, there are environmentalist groups right now that would love nothing better than for that to happen.

Baron Max

Well that might be slightly better than everyone dying but only slightly.
Also, it was my sleep deprived brains poor attempt at humour, hence the smiley.

Last edited:
Well that might be slightly better than everyone dying but only slightly. Also, it was sleep deprived brains poor attempt at humour, hence the smiley.

Oh, I understood the attempt at humor.

But tell me, seriously, why do "we" want all those fuckin' people? I mean, really, why? "We" wouldn't let any other animal procreate in some huge numbers. "We" control almost all of the animals in various ways ...some by just taking over their habitats.

But ....seriously, why do "we" want so fuckin' many people? And when the fuck is it going to stop?

Baron Max

Why do you think it's illogical?

Because I said so...

Come on man, stay with me, don't let me down! It is so easy to see. If they wanted to kill off humans but leave the planet alone they might had a point (that would be pest control) , but still it is our planet so aliens, fuck off!

Let me give you an analogy: It is like saving a stray dog's life just so you can shot it...The dog might die anyway...And you don't have the right to kill the stray dog anyway. Please don't bitch about the analogy but try to see the parallels...

Ponderable: The only reason we have the right to kill pest is because we are stronger than them. :)

Last edited:
If they wanted to kill off humans but leave the planet alone they might had a point, but still it is our planet so aliens, fuck off!

Can you prove that it's "our" planet? The aliens might have owned it in their universal real estate dealings ....and now they've come back to see that the "pests" (humans) have ruined everything. So, they do like the farmers ....they try to kill off all the pests. Simple, huh?

See? You're being far, far too ego-centric in thinking that humans are actually some kind of ....what.... gods??? Humans are simply pests that have run wild on the planet. Any good farmer would attempt to detroy them.

Baron Max

Given the vast amount of energy that's "wasted" be being allowed to radiate off into space from stars without being captured, I have a hard time buying the energy argument. Unless the aliens have completely enclosed their suns in dyson spheres or something.

None. I was thinking about the premise of the movie remake of The day the Earth stood still, and if you think about it a little, it is pretty illogical.

Well, first, we don't need help with destroying anything, we are doing it just fine, second, just what kind of universal right you base your bitching upon???

It is our planet, we destroy it if we feel like it or if we are too stupid. Social darwinism at its best...
Although I would tend to agree with you in terms of normal human ethics, who knows what sort of morals or ethics might motivate aliens?

Also, in the original the aliens were a lot more concerned about us being warlike than about us being bad for the Earth's environment. It was more of a "You guys are nuts, there's no way we're going to let you loose in the galaxy. So we're going to smash you before you figure out a way to really cause trouble" sort of thing.

The aliens would, of course, have no right to tell us how to treat our own planet. And, if they attacked us or threatened us while claiming that as their motivation; I wouldn't believe them for a minute. I'd figure they just wanted to kill us for their own reasons and knew enough to claim to have "good intentions" to create dissent among the humans and hinder our ability to defend ourselves. You know there'd be some "useful idiots" who would actually help the aliens thinking they were doing something noble for mother earth.

It's a brilliant strategy, actually.

Can you prove that it's "our" planet? The aliens might have owned it in their universal real estate dealings ....and now they've come back to see that the "pests" (humans) have ruined everything. So, they do like the farmers ....they try to kill off all the pests. Simple, huh?

See? You're being far, far too ego-centric in thinking that humans are actually some kind of ....what.... gods??? Humans are simply pests that have run wild on the planet. Any good farmer would attempt to detroy them.

Baron Max

and it's certainly beneficial to consider. But it is detrimental to believe.

What is your explicit purpose in proclaiming this POV if I may ask?

and it's certainly beneficial to consider. But it is detrimental to believe.

What is your explicit purpose in proclaiming this POV if I may ask?

When one fails to look at all points of view on a subject, he is failing to seriously consider anything but what he likes or wants. Bias is the stumbling block to understanding.

Baron Max

Although I would tend to agree with you in terms of normal human ethics, who knows what sort of morals or ethics might motivate aliens?

It was more of a "You guys are nuts, there's no way we're going to let you loose in the galaxy. So we're going to smash you before you figure out a way to really cause trouble" sort of thing.

Good point on the first, but since I don't believe there are universal morals flying through space, their morals don't have to apply to us.

So basicly it was a deffensive first strike on their behalf... :)

Many species of Alien are fond of gambling
and they love to come to earth and bet on what we are going to get up to next. We are just so unpredictable. They love us.

Occasionally, an alien will lay a bet with an earth bookie.
One of them bet a million dollars at a billion to one that a spaceship will land on the White House lawn in 2010 and an alien will bring Elvis Presley to meet the President.

That was of course, Garg, who kidnapped Elvis in 1977.

He was murdered by the bookie last August, 2008.

The bookie has Elvis in his cellar.

Elvis will be back in 2011.
You heard it here first.
All film rights reserved.

Last edited:
Back