What religion are you?

For this example, I would like to introduce you to the 'giant guitar playing turnip of Mount Hoogle Boogle'.

It very well might exist - none of you are in a position to say it doesn't. As such, surely you'd all have to accept the position of an agnostic. However, this leaves us in a position of being an agnostic to anything and everything the human mind can dream of.

In my opinion the giant guitar playing turnip is nothing more than fantasy until there is evidence to suggest existence. The same goes with everything.

If, one day, a god being raises his head and says "hi", I will apologise for ever thinking of him as a fantasy, (the same goes for the giant turnip etc), but until that time all of these mystical things can only be seen as fantasy - nothing more.

It's probably pertinent to say that until this moment, the turnip didn't exist in any of your minds. Simply put: he did not exist at all. Now I've mentioned it, you have to classify yourself in a position regarding the turnip - but what difference is there? Simply because someone mentioned this being? He didn't exist then, he still doesn't exist.. If any evidence comes to light - then we can say he does, or he might. Until then, he doesn't.

Greco, read the links that Chalaco has provided, and then get into the fray. You are wrong on the definition of atheist, btw.

Chalaco, it's a shame I've got to duck out when this is getting interesting, but I'm heading to France for 11 days snowboarding tomorrow, and I've got a lot of stuff to do before I go, not least, rebuild a friends computer. I can't give our swashbuckling the time it deserves, therefore.

I'll try and post a decent reply this afternoon if I get the time.

Meanwhile, pleasure to have crossed swords with you, and I
look forward to disagreeing with you again in the future.

Back