• Atheist

Votes: 16 36.4%
  • Other

Votes: 13 29.5%

• Total voters
Hi medicine woman :)

Medicine Woman said:
Adstar said:
I am a follower of The Messiah Immanuel/Jesus. There are so many different shades of grey in many of the religions you list that i do not want to select one.
M*W: Adstar, how are the names "Immanuel" and "Jesus" associated with each other? There seems to be some confusion between the meanings of these names in the Bible. I've seen Immanuel interpreted like this:

"Im" indicates plurality, in this case, "im" could refer to "manu" meaning "many people" or "humankind." "El" is, of course, a reference to "god." My question is, does the "im" apply to "manu-many people" or "El/elohim-many gods?" Therefore, does that infer a "title" for Jesus, because I don't recall anyone referring to Jesus as Immanuel except where the angels told M&J to call him that. Where are the Biblical references that Jesus was commonly referred to as "Immanuel" instead of "Jesus?"

Also, I've read that Jesus' name was more correctly known in either Hebrew (which I think not) or Aramaic, the language Jesus spoke in his time would be "Ye'shua ben Miriam" AND/OR "Ye'shua ben Joseph?" Since the usual lineage of names follows down the father's line, historically Jesus would have been called "Ye'shua ben Joseph." If that's the case, I would think that if this Jesus was actually a real person, born of a young woman, and was considered to be "God," his name more logically would be "Ye'shua ben Abba-El" or simply "ben-el?"

If there's anyone out there who speaks Hebrew, help me out here!

This presents yet further confusion as to the given name to Jesus. Was he considered to be "Miriam's son," or was he called "Joseph's son" or the "Son of God?"

Hi Medicine woman. :)

Matthew 1
20But while he thought about these things, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, "Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take to you Mary your wife, for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit. 21And she will bring forth a Son, and you shall call His name JESUS, for He will save His people from their sins."
22So all this was done that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the Lord through the prophet, saying: 23"Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel," which is translated, "God with us."

A far as i know The name Jesus is a latin translation of Immanuel But as the scripture says they called Him Immanuel which means "God With Us".

I talk with Messianic jews and yes they use the name Yeshua as the name of the Messiah i am not too worried about what name people use as long as they know who He is and accept him. Some people do get hung up on the name and think that anyone that does not use the right name will not be saved.

One thing medicine woman you say that they thought He was God well from the bible account they did not think this at the time of His birth. Mary knew her Son was from God but did not know His nature. Also most of His followers did not know until after He died who Immanuel was. Many of them recognized Him as the promised Messiah but their idea of a Messiah was a promised great king that would lead the jews to freedom against the romans and make the jews the dominant power in the world.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

§outh§tar said:
Out of the way question:
Do you guys consider Mormonism to be under Christianity or is it some separate thing? God is my God.

The mormons consider themselves Christians. They only way they differ from other beliefs of Christanity is that believe the Bible has more chapters which was discovered by a prophet by the name of Joseph Smith who saw God and Jesus Christ. He was instructed by them to restore the church of Jesus Christ on earth which is one of the reasons why mormoms activly recruit by going door to door.

robtex said:
The mormons consider themselves Christians. They only way they differ from other beliefs of Christanity is that believe the Bible has more chapters which was discovered by a prophet by the name of Joseph Smith who saw God and Jesus Christ. He was instructed by them to restore the church of Jesus Christ on earth which is one of the reasons why mormoms activly recruit by going door to door.

Does that apply for church of jesus christ of latterday saints and jeho___s witnesses?

----

These heretics and their blasphemy... :mad:

Adstar said:
M*W: I'm still confused. Did they call him "Jesus" or did they call him "Immanuel?" Why would God make this so confusing? That is, if God inspired the Gospels, why are they still so unbelieveable? "Jesus" is Greek. "Immanuel" is Hebrew or Aramaic. Why would the Bible be so contradictory?

Immanuel means God with us?

Stricly speaking, belief that the Bible contains religious truths is not a good qualification for what is considered Christianity because the Bible can be interpreted quite differently from standard Christianity. The definition espoused by the Catholic church is that Christians must believe in the Trinity. This is used for determination of whether the Catholic church considers the faith to have a valid baptism, and C.S Lewis also gives a good explanation of why not just anyone can be considered Christian. These definitions are more for practicality than to exclude anyone.

Medicine Woman said:
Adstar said:
M*W: I'm still confused. Did they call him "Jesus" or did they call him "Immanuel?" Why would God make this so confusing? That is, if God inspired the Gospels, why are they still so unbelieveable? "Jesus" is Greek. "Immanuel" is Hebrew or Aramaic. Why would the Bible be so contradictory?

Ok from scriptures I believe that mary when she called out to the little Messiah to come in and eat his dinner she called out Immanuel. In hebrew that means "God with us" now the greek Word for "God With Us" i think is Ieous i think i have spelled that wrong but it also means "God with us" now the latin Jesus means "God with us" also. So each language has translated "God With Us" into their language. Now it stopped with the latin otherwise we would have hundreds of different sounding names for the Messiah one for each language on earth.

Adstar said:
Ok from scriptures I believe that mary when she called out to the little Messiah to come in and eat his dinner she called out Immanuel.
M*W: Okay, wow! Now you've given me even more questions! When Jesus was a little boy, it is my understanding that he wasn't anointed until he was an adult. The Messiah, as I recall, means "anointed one." He was anointed when he reached adulthood when Mary Magdalene anointed him on his head or feet or both so he could begin his mission as Rabbi. I won't go into this now, because I feel that you are very young yourself, but I have read some theological research studies that attribute MM anointing Jesus' head, and feet and genitals. I believe the Aramaic word for "feet" is the same for "genitals." This is when he "officially" became "the messiah." It was customary in those days that Rabbis be married. So what about the temple being reconstructed? Wasn't the messiah supposed to come after that had been done? Also, you believe when Jesus was little, his mother called him "Immanuel." Why do you believe this? Is there scripture to back your statement up? One verse that comes to my mind is when M&J went looking for Jesus and found him at the Temple. I recall that Mary called him "Jesus." He was about 12 then. Also, in those days, many men were named "Jesus."
In hebrew that means "God with us" now the greek Word for "God With Us" i think is Ieous i think i have spelled that wrong but it also means "God with us" now the latin Jesus means "God with us" also. So each language has translated "God With Us" into their language. Now it stopped with the latin otherwise we would have hundreds of different sounding names for the Messiah one for each language on earth. Is anyone out there who can translate these words correctly?
M*W: But what about non-Christians? Would they have had a translation for "Jesus" in their own language? What if some cultures have never even heard of "Jesus?" What would they call him then?

Has anyone converted and why? I was agnostic growing-up. Relgion was not a factor in my upbringing as my parents were divorced and my mother may have been agnostic or she was gnosic she put religion on the backburner. I tried Christianity in college but kicked it to the curb when one eventful day the church I belong to (non demoninational) kicked a guy out for having a seizure saying he was possed by a demon. Over time I realized that Christanity with its pessimistic overtones and constant need to repent didn't fit my philosphy of life and eventually became unitarian after realizing it is optimestic in its presentation and they conceed that they don't have all the answers giving them flexiblity. Anybody got a story?

The starter of this thread omitted a lot of religions. But then, I don't expect mine to be there; it's the type that takes a dinnertime and a couple of cups of tea to explain.

In a nutshell: Monotheistic/Monist Goddess worshipper with a heavily Buddhist bent and a smattering of bhakti, currently worshipping the Goddess in the form of Isis.

Very odd, yes. Somewhat complicated, since it took me a while to get here. It might change and evolve as I go. I still think very much like an atheist. Having once e-crusaded against creationist and/or fundamentalist imbeciles, I know how precious rational thought is.

It's strange how I no longer feel inclined to go on those e-crusades again. Maybe I'm slowly getting old.

Hi Medicine woman :) a lot to deal with in your post :eek: LOL

When Jesus was a little boy, it is my understanding that he wasn't anointed until he was an adult. The Messiah, as I recall, means "anointed one." He was anointed when he reached adulthood when Mary Magdalene anointed him on his head or feet or both so he could begin his mission as Rabbi. I won't go into this now, because I feel that you are very young yourself, but I have read some theological research studies that attribute MM anointing Jesus' head, and feet and genitals. I believe the Aramaic word for "feet" is the same for "genitals." This is when he "officially" became "the messiah." It was customary in those days that Rabbis be married.

wow i will answer some of this in this post.

So what about the temple being reconstructed? Wasn't the messiah supposed to come after that had been done?

The temple existed at the time of Jesus. It had been rebuilt when the hebrews returned from exile in Babylon. But you raise a point that is a center of controversy within Christianity today. There are christians today that believe that the Messiah will not return until the temple is rebuilt. This is also believed by many “religious” jews. In fact some people offer material support and political pressure to advance the cause of the rebuilding of the temple on the mount in Jerusalem. They support isreal and the jews not as support for the jewish religion or zionism but only for the purpose of getting the temple rebuilt. They feel in some way that they can quicken the return of the Messiah by doing this. I do not hold this belief. He will come when He will come not when someone tries to force Him to come.

Also, you believe when Jesus was little, his mother called him "Immanuel." Why do you believe this? Is there scripture to back your statement up?

Jesus was a fulfilment of a prophesy

Matthew 1
18 Now the birth of Jesus Christ was as follows: After His mother Mary was betrothed to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Spirit. 19Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not wanting to make her a public example, was minded to put her away secretly. 20But while he thought about these things, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, "Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take to you Mary your wife, for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit. 21And she will bring forth a Son, and you shall call His name JESUS, for He will save His people from their sins."
22So all this was done that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the Lord through the prophet, saying: 23"Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel," which is translated, "God with us." 24Then Joseph, being aroused from sleep, did as the angel of the Lord commanded him and took to him his wife, 25and did not know her till she had brought forth her firstborn Son. And he called His name JESUS.

See how the scriptures say
23"Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel," which is translated, "God with us." This comes from a prophesy given to Isaiah long before Jesus birth.

Isaiah 7
The Immanuel Prophecy
10 Moreover the LORD spoke again to Ahaz, saying, 11"Ask a sign for yourself from the LORD your God; ask it either in the depth or in the height above."
12But Ahaz said, "I will not ask, nor will I test the LORD!"
13Then he said, "Hear now, O house of David! Is it a small thing for you to weary men, but will you weary my God also? 14Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a Son, and shall call His name Immanuel.

So Matthew affirms that the Iasiah prophesy was fulfilled when the virgin mary conceived and had Jesus and called Him Immanuel. So mary called Jesus Immanuel its just that most of the worlds population use the translated name Jesus. The name Jesus was not used in Isreal at the time because it did not exist until the name Immanuel was translated into Jesus.

One verse that comes to my mind is when M&J went looking for Jesus and found him at the Temple. I recall that Mary called him "Jesus." He was about 12 then. Also, in those days, many men were named "Jesus."

Interesting thing about your mentioning of the child Jesus incident in the temple and your views on the significance of MM anointing. One correction if you read the account you will see that MM did not anoint The Messiahs Head she only did his feet. Moving on the account of the temple incident is revealing:

Luke 2
41 His parents went to Jerusalem every year at the Feast of the Passover. 42And when He was twelve years old, they went up to Jerusalem according to the custom of the feast. 43When they had finished the days, as they returned, the Boy Jesus lingered behind in Jerusalem. And Joseph and His mother[12] did not know it; 44but supposing Him to have been in the company, they went a day's journey, and sought Him among their relatives and acquaintances. 45So when they did not find Him, they returned to Jerusalem, seeking Him. 46Now so it was that after three days they found Him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the teachers, both listening to them and asking them questions. 47And all who heard Him were astonished at His understanding and answers. 48So when they saw Him, they were amazed; and His mother said to Him, "Son, why have You done this to us? Look, Your father and I have sought You anxiously."
49And He said to them, "Why did you seek Me? Did you not know that I must be about My Father's business?" 50But they did not understand the statement which He spoke to them.

The teachers where astonished at His understanding and His answers. Why? Because Jesus was not levite. The levites where the priest class, things religious where their business. Like many religions today most of the comon people know little about their faith, they just allow the professionals to tell them what to do to got to Heaven and just keep the laws or the holy days of obligation. It was the same in Jesus time. They could not figure out where Jesus got His wisdom. This happened again and again in His life, people being astounded because they could not figure out where His understanding came from. This leads me to believe that Jesus was born anointed but chose to wait until He was a man to reveal His message to the jewish people.

M*W: But what about non-Christians? Would they have had a translation for "Jesus" in their own language? What if some cultures have never even heard of "Jesus?" What would they call him then?

Well if they have these 3 words “God with us” in their language then they would have a name whatever that would be.

Well Medicine woman i am enjoying this interesting discussion :D

Last edited:
Adstar [I said:
Jesus was a fulfilment of a prophesy [/I]
M*W: I'm quite familiar with the Christian story of Jesus, but my question is, have you studied or researched the Hebrew version of Isaiah? Not only does Isaiah not refer to Jesus, Mary or his birth, this is a reference to the birth of Isaiah's own son. The Christian version occurred some 700 years later and was essentially Isaiah rewritten for the purpose of creating a fulfillment to Isaiah's prophecy. You might find some authentic Hebrew interpretations (by Rabbis) to the Isaiah prophecy on the John D. Stone website. I'm having some computer problems right now, but as soon as I can locate the Rabbi's interpretation, I'll post it for you.
Adstar: So Matthew affirms that the Iasiah prophesy was fulfilled when the virgin mary conceived and had Jesus and called Him Immanuel. So mary called Jesus Immanuel its just that most of the worlds population use the translated name Jesus. The name Jesus was not used in Isreal at the time because it did not exist until the name Immanuel was translated into Jesus.
M*W: Yes, I know this is the Christian belief, but what Matthew did was repeat the verses in Isaiah to make it appear that it was a fulfillment of prophecy, when all it was was a reiteration
rewritten to SEEM like a fulfillment when it was not a fulfillment according to the interpretation in Hebrew.
Adstar: Interesting thing about your mentioning of the child Jesus incident in the temple and your views on the significance of MM anointing. One correction if you read the account you will see that MM did not anoint The Messiahs Head she only did his feet. Moving on the account of the temple incident is revealing:
M*W: I understand what the Bible says about MM's annointing of Jesus, but have you read anything outside of the Bible that explains what "really" happened? One book I highly recommend is Mary: The Unauthorized Biography, by Michael Jordan. Although it's based on the research and interpretations of the Mary's in the Bible, their reference to Jesus and what his life was like is well-documented. For those who believe Jesus didn't exist, this book gives life to him in a new way.
Adstar: This leads me to believe that Jesus was born anointed but chose to wait until He was a man to reveal His message to the jewish people. [/I]
M*W: Where does it say in the NT that Jesus was born anointed? That's just an assumption. Most of the NT is based on assumption and not truth. If the Bible is infallably inspired by God, why are there so many conflicting stories in the Gospels themselves? Why does the Bible include so many contradictions? Why are so many of the translations of the original languages faulty? All we have today are translations of translations times thousands of translations. How can any of it still be true? The KJV has more than 3,000 errors (not just typos), errors in translation.
From my extensive research, Jesus becomes seemingly real as do his companions. The truth about Jesus is more believable than what's in the Bible. I encourage you to look elsewhere to find the truth.

That is not of any consequence.
Atheism is also not a religion, yet it is a viable option in this poll.
You can therefore aswell declare Humans as a religion.

Latter-Day Saints are Christian as much as Christians are Jewish.

No other Christian church accepts LDS baptisms or LDS scripture.

Back