What is your impression?

nature

Registered Member
Greetings all,
I hope all the members in this forum participate in answering the following question and I will be thankful for all.

Your religion ____________________

What is your impression about the term Jihad? Rate the given term on a series of 7-point bipolar rating scales.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Harmful __ __ __ __ __ __ __ Beneficial

Bad __ __ __ __ __ __ __ Good

Wrong __ __ __ __ __ __ __ Right

Negative __ __ __ __ __ __ __ Positive

Weak __ __ __ __ __ __ __ Strong

Merciless __ __ __ __ __ __ __ Merciful

Cruel __ __ __ __ __ __ __ Kind

Useless __ __ __ __ __ __ __ Useful

Offensive __ __ __ __ __ __ __ Defensive

Unjust __ __ __ __ __ __ __ Just

My religion: Kindness

What is your impression about the term Jihad? Rate the given term on a series of 7-point bipolar rating scales.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Harmful X __ __ __ __ __ __ Beneficial

Bad X __ __ __ __ __ __ Good

Wrong X __ __ __ __ __ __ Right

Negative X __ __ __ __ __ __ Positive

Weak X __ __ __ __ __ __ Strong

Merciless X __ __ __ __ __ __ Merciful

Cruel X __ __ __ __ __ __ Kind

Useless X __ __ __ __ __ __ Useful

Offensive X __ __ __ __ __ __ Defensive

Unjust X __ __ __ __ __ __ Just

Wow, that was easy

Last edited:
My religion: Atheist/Buddhism

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Bad X__ __ __ __ __ __ Good

Weak __ __ __ __ __ _X Strong

Merciless X __ __ __ __ __ __ Merciful

Cruel X __ __ __ __ __ __ Kind

Useless __ __ __ __ __ __ __X Useful

Offensive X __ __ __ __ __ __ Defensive

Unjust __ __ __ X__ __ __ Just

Greetings all,
I really thank both of you, Wisdom_Seeker and draqon for your responses. How nice of you to response according to the questions and answer all the of them. I hope from the rest in this forum answer these questions and your participation would be appreciated.

You are a _____rational/humanist_______________

What is your impression about the term Jihad?

Harmful _7 __ __ __ __ __ __ Beneficial

Bad _7 __ __ __ __ __ __ Good

Wrong _7 __ __ __ __ __ __ Right

Negative _7 __ __ __ __ __ __ Positive

Weak __ __ __ _4 __ __ __ Strong

Merciless _7 __ __ __ __ __ __ Merciful

Cruel _7 __ __ __ __ __ __ Kind

Useless __ __ __ _4 __ __ __ Useful

Offensive _7 __ __ __ __ __ __ Defensive

Unjust _7 __ __ __ __ __ __ Just

Your religion ____________________Islam

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Harmful __ __ __ __ __ __ __X Beneficial

Bad __ __ __ __ __ __ __X Good

Wrong __ __ __ __ __ __ __X Right

Negative __ __ __ __ __ __ __X Positive

Weak __ __ __ __ __ __ __X Strong

Merciless __ __ __ __ __ __ __X Merciful

Cruel __ __ __ __ __ __ __X Kind

Useless __ __ __ __ __ __ __X Useful

Offensive __ __ __X __ __ __ __ Defensive

Unjust __ __ __ __ __ __ __X Just

May I also add that the term Jihad is greatly misunderstood. Jihad is its literal sense means struggle, and that is basically how Muslims think of it. The greatest Jihad is to stop yourself from temptation to do evil. Jihad can be anything from using your wealth to feed a poor person, or for woman to give childbirth.

Thanks for the topic bro nature.

May I also add that the term Jihad is greatly misunderstood. Jihad is its literal sense means struggle, and that is basically how Muslims think of it. The greatest Jihad is to stop yourself from temptation to do evil. Jihad can be anything from using your wealth to feed a poor person, or for woman to give childbirth.

However I must point on that Jihad is only misunderstood because individuals have misused it. To most westerners Jihad is a recent addition to their vocabulary, and they have only heard reporters and people like Osama bin Laden use it. So it is natural that the word would be misunderstood.

Greetings all,
I hope all the members in this forum participate in answering the following question and I will be thankful for all.

Your religion ____________________
christian.
What is your impression about the term Jihad?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jihad
until you define the term i cannot answer the remaining questions.
Rate the given term on a series of 7-point bipolar rating scales.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Harmful __ __ __ __ __ __ __ Beneficial

Bad __ __ __ __ __ __ __ Good

Wrong __ __ __ __ __ __ __ Right

Negative __ __ __ __ __ __ __ Positive

Weak __ __ __ __ __ __ __ Strong

Cruel __ __ __ __ __ __ __ Kind

Useless __ __ __ __ __ __ __ Useful

Offensive __ __ __ __ __ __ __ Defensive

Unjust __ __ __ __ __ __ __ Just

Greetings all,

Thanks a lot for those who participated in answering all the questions.
leopold99, I want to know the meaning of Jihad for you and your impression about this term. I hope to have more participants.

I thought Jihad meant "Holly War", so this is not true?

Your religion ____________________Humanist

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Bad X __ __ __ __ __ __ Good

Weak __ X __ __ __ __ __ Strong

Cruel __ X __ __ __ __ __ Kind

Useless X __ __ __ __ __ __ Useful

Offensive __ __ __ X __ __ __ Defensive (don't understand this one)

Unjust __ X __ __ __ __ __ Just

Solving problems with violence doesn't really resolve anything.

Another example of how people interpret things as they like and give them a meaning for their own benefits...

As I understand, a lot of things within the Qu'ran can be interpreted different ways. You CAN interpret "holy struggle" to be holy war...

I can understand how holy war (esp. defending your own people from violence or oppression in the name of your faith) can be completely legitimate. However, I still believe that a secular governments and a secular military is the most sane form of rule.

I thought Jihad meant "Holly War", so this is not true?

Jihad means struggle. Jihad bil nafs is the most common meaning which means struggle with one's self. Often Muslims refer to it in this sense. Jihad bil sayf, struggle with the sword is a type of Jihad which refers to war. This war however is defensive in nature. It is not translated as holy war, which in arabic is harb muqadassa.

Jihad bil sayf is a complex issue which has varied meanings to different people. According to the four madhabs of Sunni Islam and the Jafari madhab of Shiat, it is to pursue war in the defense of innocent lives, in the defense of persecution of Muslims and to have no motive other than to please God ( meaning not for wealth or revenge).

Jihad bil sayf has strict limitations: not to harm civilians, women, children, elderly, animals, or burn plant life (allowed in rare occasions).

Also the books of Bukhari refer to numerous issues, if one is to isolate the book of war, then it would seem that Bukhari is a book which sets out the issues of war. This is a very narrow interpretation based on false notions. Bukhari refers to hundreds of subjects divided into different volumes.

The term crusade means barbarism to me.

Well there you go
Growing up the term crusade meant a righteous endevour not a military one.
the crusade against illiteracy, poverty, hunger, crime all sorts
The term meaning mobilization for a good cause, in it's most frequently used mode.

Back