What is the proper way to acknowledge that one believes in God?

I think the solution lies in being a bit aware on who one should take advice from.

Of course, this is common sense.

I admit I have a lot of negative experiences with this - it happened often that those same people who instructed me to be careful whose advice I take, were resentful and spiteful if I didn't take their advices, as if I was supposed to view them as flawless and never doubt them, and be careful only about other people.

You could tell God to go get stuffed.
That's one way.
You could accept that God's an idiot
There's another.

If there was a God, how would you want the relationship to be? How would you like to be acknowledged by God? What would happen between you that would be valuable for you?

The thing with idiosyncrasy is that it borders on insanity, and at some point, seems to become indistinguishable from it.

But if we believe that most belief is idiosyncratic to the person, then scientific generalization is impossible, interpersonally finding solutions for problems is next to impossible, communication is extremely difficult or even impossible, to name a few consequences of great idiosyncrasy.

It hasn't stopped anyone, as far as I can see.

what you know to be true affects your decisions and behavior every moment of every day. it's not a fucking ritual or some goddamn exercise, it's a life lived! what the fuck?

The thing with idiosyncrasy is that it borders on insanity, and at some point, seems to become indistinguishable from it.
I am still interested in the answer to the question. I understand, I think, your concern. But it seems to me what you are saying is that if I had what I wanted I would not be able to distinguish it from insanity. I am not sure you can know this.

Of your idiosyncrasy of belief :D
To put less lighthearted spin on SAM's answer:

We cannot avoid having a belief system that is idiosyncratic. We can run and hide in a popular belief system, but for all we know this is simply the idiosyncratic system of one loon that many follow - in fact it is clear this is the case sometimes.

When we think about insanity we often see wild faces, noises and babbling. Kind of over the top goofiness. (or deep depression).

But the fact is there are people out there with absolutely loopy beliefs who go to work and seem 'normal'.

As far as I can tell insanity is often rather banal. Think about how many people voted for Bush. We probably couldn't pick them out in a police line up.

There is no evading the responsibility we have for our beliefs. One can look at this from the outside and think I will never know if I am insane...

but as SAM points out

this is true anyway. If you think it isn't true now, then you have some way of telling whether you are insane or not and this may very well be present even when you have what you are calling idiosyncratic beliefs.

I am still interested in the answer to the question. I understand, I think, your concern. But it seems to me what you are saying is that if I had what I wanted I would not be able to distinguish it from insanity. I am not sure you can know this.

See below -

We can run and hide in a popular belief system

Two things:

For one, we are not all that special. We did grow up in a society, picking up its belief systems, and our beliefs overlap wit the beliefs of others to a greater or lesser extent, we even speak the same language as many other people with all the conceptual consequences this has.

For two, it's not about "running and hiding" in a belief system.
Perhaps because I grew up in Christianity my notions of what makes for proper religiousness are specific - the principle is basically that "if you don't fit in with the others, then you have it wrong".
And this is often the case, not only in religion. Maintaining beliefs that are idiosyncratic to you will probably cut you off from society and make you unable to function in it - and this is something you probably should be concerned about.

We cannot avoid having a belief system that is idiosyncratic.

The problem of idiosyncrasy brings up another issue: If there is such a thing as The Truth or Salvation or Enlightenment and it is possible for humans to attain it, and there are people who have attained it, then there must be some intelligible instructions for that - and for those instructions to be intelligible it is presumed that people do not have completely idiosyncratic belief systems, because if they would, there could be no such thing as "intelligible instructions" - and nobody would get saved, know The Truth or attain Enlightenment.

As far as I can tell insanity is often rather banal.

Agreed.

For two, it's not about "running and hiding" in a belief system.
That was one option amongst many. Sorry if that was not clear. But I do not think we are safe from insanity if we are in a group. Also if one knows what one wants then perhaps there is a group. I don't think we can't get around the personal to a universal answer and then run back to our feelings and see if we desire it. Let's say we figure out what God wants and then check ourselves out and find we don't want that. Whoops. there are thousands of 'paths' out there and they are often quite different. It seems to me that finding out what one wants is a first step. This may fit with a group and it may not. But we have to live with that, at least until we want something else.

Perhaps because I grew up in Christianity my notions of what makes for proper religiousness are specific - the principle is basically that "if you don't fit in with the others, then you have it wrong".
I have encountered hundreds, literally, of different religious groups. Many of them think that the others have it wrong, some think that there are many paths to God or nirvana, etc.

And this is often the case, not only in religion. Maintaining beliefs that are idiosyncratic to you will probably cut you off from society and make you unable to function in it - and this is something you probably should be concerned about.
This does not fit my personal experience, though I am not alone in my beliefs, per se, nor do I see everyone with idiosyncratic beliefs as not being able to function. I worked for a while in the field I mentioned in a PM to you. In part this brought me in contact with some very high up people in the business world. Some of these people had the whole car, family incredible income and were considered supreme professionals at the top of their fields. And some of this group were loons, with highly idiosyncratic beliefs.

The problem of idiosyncrasy brings up another issue: If there is such a thing as The Truth or Salvation or Enlightenment and it is possible for humans to attain it, and there are people who have attained it, then there must be some intelligible instructions for that - and for those instructions to be intelligible it is presumed that people do not have completely idiosyncratic belief systems, because if they would, there could be no such thing as "intelligible instructions" - and nobody would get saved, know The Truth or attain Enlightenment.

To me it seems like trying the find THE way is problematic, rather then finding a way that feels right to you in particular. Hence my question about the relationship with God, not that it has to be a way that involves God, for all I know. I think there is a cart before the horse thing going on.

GOOD! Agreements should be emphasized sometimes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It seems to me that finding out what one wants is a first step. This may fit with a group and it may not. But we have to live with that, at least until we want something else.

But the desires might be mutually exclusive or seem impossible to prioritize.
What then?

This does not fit my personal experience, though I am not alone in my beliefs, per se, nor do I see everyone with idiosyncratic beliefs as not being able to function. I worked for a while in the field I mentioned in a PM to you. In part this brought me in contact with some very high up people in the business world. Some of these people had the whole car, family incredible income and were considered supreme professionals at the top of their fields. And some of this group were loons, with highly idiosyncratic beliefs.

I think a lot depends on whether all beliefs that a person has are idiosyncratic, or only some. If all the beliefs a person has would be idiosyncratic (but this is very unlikely), then I predict this would probably make the person unable to function in society.

To me it seems like trying the find THE way is problematic, rather then finding a way that feels right to you in particular.

If there is such a thing as Truth, Salvation, Enlightenment, then the number of paths to it must be limited, not infinite. If it would be infinite, then this would mean there is no Truth, Salvation, Enlightenment, but that instead, anything goes.
My point is that the number of right paths is limited - whether this is one path or 84,000 paths.

Hence my question about the relationship with God, not that it has to be a way that involves God, for all I know.

If I am understanding you correctly - You mean it might be possible to arrive at knowledge of God without specifically intending to know God, or without God's intervention?

I think there is a cart before the horse thing going on.

Traditional theisms strike me as such.

GOOD! Agreements should be emphasized sometimes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

Here is the proper way: don't be a hypocrite. If you are going to label yourself, live up to your label. Going to church/temple/whatever doesn't make you a good person. Doing good things makes you a good person.

If you simply want people to know you believe in God, saying so is the best way.

being your true self is impossible, what you end up doing is copying someone else's beliefs and ideas, so be a hypocrite and try to at least show that you want to believe in a way you tell others

being your true self is impossible, what you end up doing is copying someone else's beliefs and ideas, so be a hypocrite and try to at least show that you want to believe in a way you tell others
therefore there is the suggestion that the self is essentially marginal - meaning it is very much influenced by its environment. Whether the self is fortunate or a victim depends essentially on the environment that it is associating with (IOW there are some environments that are compatible for the pursuit of determining one's true self and others that are not)

But the desires might be mutually exclusive or seem impossible to prioritize.
What then?
This is hardly an avoidable stuck place. We can extricate ourselves by being 'objective' and choosing 'the right' direction, bu to me this has always seemed like begging the issue. In any case you probably do choose between desires, every day.

I think a lot depends on whether all beliefs that a person has are idiosyncratic, or only some. If all the beliefs a person has would be idiosyncratic (but this is very unlikely), then I predict this would probably make the person unable to function in society.
I agree. And so one can cautiously check to see what one wants doing ecological checks to see if one is moving too far outside.

If there is such a thing as Truth, Salvation, Enlightenment, then the number of paths to it must be limited, not infinite. If it would be infinite, then this would mean there is no Truth, Salvation, Enlightenment, but that instead, anything goes.
My point is that the number of right paths is limited - whether this is one path or 84,000 paths.
I agree and disagree. Also some people might be quite happy in what I would consider hell. I mean, threat all the time, needing to amass strength anger and conviction to conquer, paranoia. I see some people out there who would choose this in a heartbeat. They may be deluded in some way. I cannot really say. I do know I want them to go away. They don't seem to like the earth very much so perhaps this will happen from mutual consent.

If I am understanding you correctly - You mean it might be possible to arrive at knowledge of God without specifically intending to know God, or without God's intervention?
I thinking thinking about an abstract God and what this god might want and then coming back to one's self and seeing how this self fits with God's wants is problematic. Perhaps there is a greater degree of flexibility in this God or in the routes to happiness/end of suffering and that starting from the self and its tastes is better. Perhaps God can meet you in the way in which you would like to be met. And if there is no God, or no God for you, it seems even more likely that happiness will HAVE TO meet you where you are, rather than you contorting yourself to fit what should be happiness.
Traditional theisms strike me as such.
They are not for me. See my nausea over the idea of 'service'.
http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?p=1829036&highlight=vomit#post1829036

Me in very far from bridge building mode.

Back