what is religious experience?

Bridge,

Some say they have overcome death through their religious beliefs. Others say death is it. The end. I haven't met anyone yet that has found the answer to life, if there is one.
Are you saying that Jesus isn’t the answer to everything? Or that God is NOT love? Aren’t these the Christian explanations for life?

And as for death, isn’t it claimed that the alleged Jesus said believe in me and ye shall have everlasting life?

For Christians Christ is the answer to life and death. Am I wrong?

Kant,

What I am saying is that your dogmatism in your own "belief" (perhaps in your own intellect) seems far more dogmatic than most religious folk.
Can you quote an example?

Have you considered justifying, proving, or attempting to explain any of your positions? Or are they claims of "faith"?
Aren’t they all self-evident? Please pick an example.

As I can see (and perhaps I am only blind), you have developed many conclusions off of questionable premises.
For example?

you seem to say quite the opposite of what any religious person might say simply for the sake of saying it.
But I do not find the religious position tenable, so it should not be unreasonable for me to take an opposing position. Or are you suggesting that sometimes I should agree with the religionist position to appear “agreeable”.

Explain for me, the ignorant one, how your claims are "rational"....
What claims? Please pick an example.

(By the way, as for your quote [or maybe it is just a statement of your own] on "freedom": would it then stand to reason that if I did not like blue, and you were wearing a blue shirt, that I could take you to court and have you pay a fine because your blue shirt interfered with my alleged "freedom from blue"?)
I first heard the quote on a college Law course that I took in 1969. It is the primary principle of British Law, much of which was adopted by the USA. Used by reasonable people it could represent the only law needed, unfortunately many people can’t see the basic principle and propose trivia like your “blue shirt” example. This has meant that a massive number of additional laws have been passed to specifically deal with similar trivia.

Cris

For Christians Christ is the answer to life and death. Am I wrong?

For Christians, Jesus Christ is "the" answer to the death question. He died and rose again so that all who believed in him would have eternal life. He overcame death. You know the drill.

When I said previously : "I haven't met anyone yet that has found the answer to life, if there is one." I was going beyond the spiritual hypothesis of being born, being born again, dying and then being resurrected from death, having eternal life.

While the death question is intrinsically tied to the life question, I'm not sure it answers it. I was thinking more along the lines of the "why" question to life. Is it all just whimsical imagination that is observed, in order to create life logic (to me) says there is a creator(s)-- or are the atheists right and we're all the lucky by-product of some universal lottery? I'm not trying to prove God exists, I'm just running in the direction of the least logical resistance in my own mind, dictated by my personal sense of logic. Your sense of logic dictates the opposite, hence my sarcastic remark about the road less travelled, "I want a road map" in otherwords, if you have the answer to life, show me the way.

As far as I know, you can't get a satisfactory answer to that one, at least so far, God knows I'm trying.;)

Last edited:
Bridge,

Yes I agree the issue of life does deserve more attention than that implied by my flippancy.

I suspect for many religious people just surviving death will be the ‘big thing’ and that an eternity spent bathed in the love of God where all questions will be answered is their vision of what comes next. But eternity is a very long time compared to the relatively miniscule duration of life on Earth. I have made many errors in my life but as I grow older and wiser I find I can recognize and avoid many new problematic scenarios. Given eternity I am sure I could solve many other problems, but Christianity doesn’t appear to offer that. The choice seems to be that one must learn very fast in a physical life so that one will be judged worthy or not for heaven. None of this really makes any sense; none of this seems to have a meaningful perspective. If people lived say for 1000 years on average then I could imagine that as a reasonable period for freshman training. But what of children or babies who die?

If you argue that God will judge accordingly then wouldn’t the child who dies during childbirth have an unfair advantage in the afterlife, i.e. has not had a chance to commit sin. Or on the other hand it must go to hell since it would not have had a chance to accept Jesus as its savior. I have seen many Christian arguments that seem to have to jump though an infinite number of hoops attempting to rationalize these basic problems. None offer any real convincing answers.

in order to create life logic (to me) says there is a creator(s)-- or are the atheists right and we're all the lucky by-product of some universal lottery?
Isn’t the real issue one of the existence of a soul? Whether human life was the result of divine creation or of evolution, does it matter if there is no soul?

My assertion that religion offers an answer to life was not about how life began but rather about the ultimate purpose of life. So I am not sure if we are talking about the same thing here.

if you have the answer to life, show me the way.
One of the limitations I see for the conventional perspective for souls is that a soul appears to revolve around the continuation of our current ‘consciousness’ but in an eternal immaterial form. This seems to imply that a soul remains a discrete and limited individual. That to me seems to lack vision and the chance for growth.

With our increasing expertise with genetic engineering and of neuroscience we should soon be able to extend human brain efficiency and capacity. The currently very rapid increase in computer technology and the development of AI will certainly result in machines that surpass human intelligence and possess self-awareness. Either humans must adapt and upgrade to this new technology or be replaced by a superior species of our own creation.

But looking long term once we properly understand our brains and can enhance and manipulate their connectivity and function, then we open up the possibility for people to merge their intelligences with each other. We could then imagine a single planet wide, and beyond intelligence. Merging that with other alien intelligences and spreading across the universe, results in what? A god perhaps?;)

Cris, since you asked:--

1) Dogmatism in your own belief:

-- "The term 'religious experience' is an innacurate label for certain emotions whose cause the claimant has mistakenly assigned to an alleged external supernatural influence."

2) Please "justify, prove, or attempt to explain" this claim:

-- "To believe a fantasy as true is foolish."

--Further, what is so "self-evident"?

3) Conclusions based on questionable premises:

-- "...religion the placebo has null active ingredients. It doesn’t matter whether the religion contains truth or not to have a positive effect."

-- "It is called the power of positive thinking, and has well known characteristics but it has nothing to do with external alleged supernatural forces."
Once you have determined and convinced yourself that you have found the answer to life and death then you will indeed experience a perceived epiphany. However, while the effects can be positive it need not have, and in the case of religion, does not have any basis in factual truth. The effects are generated purely by a personal conviction that something is true, whether it is true or not is immaterial."

-- " One must also realize that those who are attracted to religion also tend to be those who are attracted to altruistic ideals. It is not that religion necessarily makes people altruistic but rather that many altruists tend to adopt religion as an excuse to be altruistic.

-- "The underlying root basis of every religion is the need to cheat death."

And as for the rest of your inquiry, "But I do not find the religious position tenable, so it should not be unreasonable for me to take an opposing position. Or are you suggesting that sometimes I should agree with the religionist position to appear “agreeable”."

--- No, it should not be unreasonable. And no, I am not suggesting that you should agree simply because it appears "agreeable"... I was simply arguing that perhaps you take the position not because it does not appeal to reason, but because to assent to any "religionist position" would be to violate a position which you have already decided for yourself; almost how a politician molds the circumstances to fit the mold of his/her ideology.

And as for my request that you explain for me how your claims are "rational", any of your quotes I have above listed would suffice.

(I could agree with you to a certain point on the point of Law. But, as you have implied, most people are not "reasonable"--and many are wont to request their check from the welfare office, notwithstanding the fact that they could work for the money if they needed it.)

I wuld still like to know what kind of example of a religious experience you would like to know about..........thats why many theists cant answer, you havent specified anything at all.

Cris,

Normally I'm pretty laid back and easy going and dont mind when ppl start making statments that are just as intolerant as they claim another to be, but you need to admit that you are quite intolerant as well and have your own biases, delusions and are not fully rational either. Of all the people who have posted in this thread so far, you are the most dogmatic, yet you accuse the theists of being intolerant in their dogmaticness. Cut it out please.

Kant,

OK I don’t mind expanding on some of my statements.

1) Dogmatism in your own belief:

-- "The term 'religious experience' is an inaccurate label for certain emotions whose cause the claimant has mistakenly assigned to an alleged external supernatural influence."
Since the supernatural is a product of human imagination and there remains no evidence to suggest a supernatural realm might or could exist then the only remaining rational explanation for ‘religious experiences’ is one of mis-labeled emotions. Emotions are something that we do know exist and which have been widely studied by psychologists. I can quote cases from mental health institutes, if you wish, where people suffer severally from such ‘religious experience’ delusions. My position here is taken from known phenomena, i.e. the power of human emotion. I can be easily proved wrong by anyone who can show that the supernatural is either possible or actually exists. To date no one has succeeded. It therefore seems rational to proceed to explain phenomena on what we know rather than on imaginative fantasies.

2) Please "justify, prove, or attempt to explain" this claim:

-- "To believe a fantasy as true is foolish."

--Further, what is so "self-evident"?
If I fantasize that I can fly, believe it is true, and then jump off a high cliff to prove it, then wouldn’t you consider that foolish? Fantasies are fine providing one recognizes them as fantasies. A rational person doesn’t have to jump of a cliff to prove this, i.e. it is self-evident.

-- "...religion the placebo has null active ingredients. It doesn’t matter whether the religion contains truth or not to have a positive effect."
I assume you understand the principles of the placebo effect. If you believe something strongly enough then the effects can be real. Many people certainly believe strongly in religion, however, without any evidence of a supernatural influence how can you tell whether it is a God at work or the placebo effect? Again we know that the placebo effect is real and proven, yet we have nothing to indicate that the supernatural exists. Isn’t the rational choice to choose the explanation that has evidential support?

-- "It is called the power of positive thinking, and has well known characteristics but it has nothing to do with external alleged supernatural forces."

Once you have determined and convinced yourself that you have found the answer to life and death then you will indeed experience a perceived epiphany. However, while the effects can be positive it need not have, and in the case of religion, does not have any basis in factual truth. The effects are generated purely by a personal conviction that something is true, whether it is true or not is immaterial."
This is similar to the placebo argument. There are even many courses that teach methods that empower the individual to succeed through positive thinking. The effects are real and identifiable, but again the supernatural has not been shown to be real or identifiable.

-- " One must also realize that those who are attracted to religion also tend to be those who are attracted to altruistic ideals. It is not that religion necessarily makes people altruistic but rather that many altruists tend to adopt religion as an excuse to be altruistic.
Christianity offers altruistic rules. The idea is that if you help others without regard to yourself or actual cost to yourself, then you will be rewarded in heaven. Strictly speaking this isn’t altruism since ultimately you expect to gain, but then I have argued elsewhere that I do not see how altruism can ever be achieved. Everyone always makes a voluntary action only if they see a benefit for themselves. Even if the benefit is the enjoyment of helping others and this is true of many people which you can confirm by direct observation.

So the net result is that those who genuinely enjoy helping others at some cost to themselves are certainly more likely to be attracted to religions that support such concepts. Isn’t this also self-evident?

-- "The underlying root basis of every religion is the need to cheat death."
Consider the alternative. If religion did not offer a life after death then what value is religion? Isn’t the reason that the western legal systems ask witnesses to swear an oath on the bible is because of the idea that if you lie then you may be condemning your eternal soul to some really unpleasant punishment? Without the threat of eternal damnation or the reward of eternal paradise religions offer very little. So if God existed but there are no souls then what would be his value?

I was simply arguing that perhaps you take the position not because it does not appeal to reason, but because to assent to any "religionist position" would be to violate a position which you have already decided for yourself; almost how a politician molds the circumstances to fit the mold of his/her ideology.
Yes I see your point although I’m not sure that I consciously do that. However, I do see the religionist position as very weak and it is not too difficult to show alternative explanations to religionist claims. When clear evidence linking an effect with a cause is absent then multiple explanations become possible. All I do is look at the possibilities that have the most credibility.

After 5 decades I have not seen any religionist arguments explain anything that cannot be explained by something simpler or natural. I would like to think that if something new were presented then I’d consider it based on reason rather than dogma.

And as for my request that you explain for me how your claims are "rational", any of your quotes I have above listed would suffice.
Without any physical evidence then almost any argument against the religionist position would have either equal or better weight.

(I could agree with you to a certain point on the point of Law. But, as you have implied, most people are not "reasonable"--and many are wont to request their check from the welfare office, notwithstanding the fact that they could work for the money if they needed it.)
The world needs to become better educated, less competitive, and more cooperative, before any chance of real universal enlightenment will appear.

Well you're certainly thorough. But tell me, If something is to be "super"-natural, how can it be proven to begin with, by we who are merely "natural" beings? And why would anyone expect to be able to find evidence for it, or be concerned when there isn't any evidence for it? What I am saying is, if there is physical evidence for it, then it is not "supernatural".

Finally, the only thing that science has shown regarding the existence of God is that one cannot prove the existence of God by science. Unless one believes more strongly in "science" than anything else, I do not see why one must be so easily swayed by its findings.

By the way it is not simply "a promise of life after death." What are called "life" and "life after death" are the same life. The end of the corporeal life does not mean the initiation of the spiritual life, but a continuation of the spiritual life from a corporeal form to a spiritual form (I think).

Last edited:
Originally posted by Kant we all...
If something is to be "super"-natural, how can it be proven to begin with, by we who are merely "natural" beings?
I think this is part of the point. Why believe in something that has no proof and neved will?

Unless one believes more strongly in "science" than anything else, I do not see why one must be so easily swayed by its findings.

I for one don't doubt the existance of the Christian God because of science, but because it just doesn't make any sense. However, I trust science more then religion because science has actually proven that it can be useful. Religion only seems to be useful as a method of 'crowd control' and removing self doubt.

What are called "life" and "life after death"...

People have some interesting ideas about this but there is no reason to think that they aren't just fantasy. The Bible doesn't say much about the afterlife that is very specific. The church and society have expanded on this to make it look/sound attractive.

"Why believe in something that has no proof and never will?"

It would not be belief if there was proof, for one thing. And what do you mean by "proof"?--mere objective, sensate proof? And if there is none, why is that enough to not believe? Further, unless you have some sort of time travel device that I am unaware of, how do "you" know that there "never will" be any of this kind of "proof" you speak of?

"I for one don't doubt the existance of the Christian God because of science, but because it just doesn't make any sense."

It doesn't? Could you explain why?

"I trust science more then religion because science has actually proven that it can be useful. Religion only seems to be useful as a method of 'crowd control' and removing self doubt."

'Trust' science?--that's all? Useful in what regard? And if we are speaking of 'crowd control', could we not use our sacred sciences to regulate? I mean, would it not be better, in this line of reasoning, to give everyone a pill which forces them to obey rules and laws without their consent?

"People have some interesting ideas about this but there is no reason to think that they aren't just fantasy. The Bible doesn't say much about the afterlife that is very specific. The church and society have expanded on this to make it look/sound attractive."

Why is there "no reason to think that they aren't just fantasy"? You might be "fantasy"--I might be "fantasy"--life might be "fantasy"--the Bible might be "fantasy"--- How do you know?

Originally posted by Kant we all...
It would not be belief if there was proof, for one thing.
You might want to think about that one for a bit. Currently the Bible is suggested as proof. I agree that it may be, but am not convinced.

And what do you mean by "proof"?--mere objective, sensate proof?

Something tangible.

And if there is none, why is that enough to not believe?

There are an infinite number of fantasies. What makes God 'true' but an elf that steals my socks 'wrong'?

Further, unless you have some sort of time travel device that I am unaware of, how do "you" know that there "never will" be any of this kind of "proof" you speak of?

You stated yourself "If something is to be super-natural, how can it be proven to begin with, by we who are merely natural beings". If it is proven it must be natural and not supernatural.

It doesn't? Could you explain why?

Why would a God create thousands of species to kill them. Then have man/animal multiply, then kill all but a few. Who claims to love us, yet designed us to fail... who needs to sacrifice himself to save us... kills many yet advocates peace.. tells us stuff we shouldn't do, and then say we just have to trust Jesus to go to heaven.
It's just messy. Other religions seem much more practical without involving a psuedo-psycotic God.

'Trust' science?--that's all? Useful in what regard?

I can design something using science and it will work.

And if we are speaking of 'crowd control', could we not use our sacred sciences to regulate? I mean, would it not be better, in this line of reasoning, to give everyone a pill which forces them to obey rules and laws without their consent?

I'd be against such an action, which is the reason I am leaning towards against organized religion. Science has other benefits which it can provide us with to enchance our lives. Religion is a somma pill.

Why is there "no reason to think that they aren't just fantasy"?

What differentiates it from any other fantasy? Nothing.

You might be "fantasy"--I might be "fantasy"--life might be "fantasy"--the Bible might be "fantasy"--- How do you know?
I can see, touch, and feel my enviroment. We have evidence that we exist because we are having this conversation. There is no such evidence for God.

Kant,

Well you're certainly thorough.
Well thanks, but I could point out some holes.

But tell me, If something is to be "super"-natural, how can it be proven to begin with,
If it can’t be proved, or rather measured or detected, then how does anyone know it exists?

by we who are merely "natural" beings?
But theists, for whom I have strong indications are merely “natural beings” claim that the supernatural does exist. How do they know this without any evidence?

And why would anyone expect to be able to find evidence for it,
Personally I don’t expect anyone to find evidence. As far as I can tell it is purely an invention of human imagination.

or be concerned when there isn't any evidence for it?
Human progress is at risk if too many believe that fantasies are true and run their lives accordingly. Remember the example of believing one could fly and jumping off a cliff.

What I am saying is, if there is physical evidence for it, then it is not "supernatural".
Eureka! How can something immaterial ever be detected by something material? Or for that matter how can something immaterial interact with anything material? Isn’t this an argument for the non-existence of the alleged supernatural?

Finally, the only thing that science has shown regarding the existence of God is that one cannot prove the existence of God by science.
But science is our proven and foremost method for discovering and establishing knowledge. If you aren’t going to use the best method what hope is there for anything else? But you imply that science is somehow limited and is not allowed to look into certain areas. But that isn’t true. The only thing required by science is that the subject is detectable. If something cannot be detected, e.g. gods, then nothing meaningful can be said about such things by whatever method you choose.

Unless one believes more strongly in "science" than anything else, I do not see why one must be so easily swayed by its findings.
Can you provide a better method for establishing truth? It is not a matter of belief but a matter of evidence.

By the way it is not simply "a promise of life after death." What are called "life" and "life after death" are the same life. The end of the corporeal life does not mean the initiation of the spiritual life, but a continuation of the spiritual life from a corporeal form to a spiritual form (I think).
Ok. But such a life will be very qualitatively different without a corporeal form. But for now the only thing that we know exists is the corporeal form. Anything else is just human imagination.

I'm finished arguing on this topic for those of you who I've been replying back and forth with. What it comes right down to is that much "religion" gets its drive off of paradox, and while you may feel the need to "understand" or "prove" before you "believe", you must, in fact, "believe" in order to "understand" it. And from what I can see in most of your statements, your claims on religion (viz., Christianity) are just as much an argument from ignorance as would be my claims on evolutionary theory. And since I haven't the time nor the energy (nor the patience if I did have the time and energy), I shan't bother teaching it to you now. For your understanding seems to be that of what the "pop" faith types would communicate to you (e.g., televangelists, Baptists/Methodists/Presbyterians, and bad Catholics), and it is difficult enough explaining to them how wrong they are...and they already believe.

You can't use science to establish proof of the existence of someone. That is left up to legal proof and historical proof. And as Bridge has alluded to, there is historical proof of the resurrection of Jesus.

Originally posted by SVRP
You can't use science to establish proof of the existence of someone. That is left up to legal proof and historical proof. And as Bridge has alluded to, there is historical proof of the resurrection of Jesus.

Absolutely none. Please remember that for a historical proof to count, all historians IN THE REGION must agree on it.

People that currently live in that region split in views between the majority muslim views that Jesus was not even crucified and died naturally after escaping the crucifiction scene.
[4.157] And their saying: Surely we have killed the Messiah, Isa son of Marium, the apostle of Allah; and they did not kill him nor did they crucify him, but it appeared to them so (like Isa) and most surely those who differ therein are only in a doubt about it; they have no knowledge respecting it, but only follow a conjecture, and they killed him not for sure.

The minority Jews who are still in the region do not even believe there was a jesus. So what history are you talking about?. The outsiders, the romans, who used to presecute christians, who never lived in the region but to steal it's resources and occupy it, then later adopted a weird version of the religion mixed up with their Zeus father son and made up a bible full of lies and sex to make Aphrodite proud. The romans had this rule, whatever you don't know about religion, just make up. That's your new testament for you. Then they spread to Europe who was into colonizing everyone and went to poor countries with no religion and spread their lies using missionaries? That's how christianity spread, and the irony, it is non existance in the place where it was founded, rejected by the people that it came down on who either adopted Islam or stayed as Jews.

Kant,

I'm finished arguing on this topic for those of you who I've been replying back and forth with.
Clearly you are not finished otherwise you would not have continued the argument with this post. Were you hoping for the last word, with throwaway comments that no one would dispute? Are you in politics?

What it comes right down to is that much "religion" gets its drive off of paradox,
Then isn’t the answer the discontinuance of religion? But really I see no paradox. All that religion offers are ideas and concepts that it can’t rationally support. Instead of trying to resolve a perceived paradox it would be quicker and more honest to simply agree that religion has it wrong.

and while you may feel the need to "understand" or "prove" before you "believe", you must, in fact, "believe" in order to "understand" it.
No that is nonsense. That is an old desperate religionist tactic that is always made because the claims cannot be justified by any credible means. All the religionist is saying is that his claims are true because he says so. There is absolutely no requirement to believe anything until facts become apparent. Otherwise the belief is simply irrational.

And from what I can see in most of your statements, your claims on religion (viz., Christianity) are just as much an argument from ignorance as would be my claims on evolutionary theory.
I don’t follow your point here. Evolution is fact, it has occurred. Nothing of the kind can be said about Christianity. No one can even verify that Jesus ever existed let alone be crucified and have divine abilities.

And since I haven't the time nor the energy (nor the patience if I did have the time and energy), I shan't bother teaching it to you now.
Isn’t that somewhat arrogant and disingenuous? You are claiming that you have insights and answers that will explain everything yet you do not wish to demean yourself by sharing such knowledge. If you really had anything worthwhile I’m sure you would want to share it. It seems more likely that you have nothing that can be supported or will withstand independent scrutiny, right?

For your understanding seems to be that of what the "pop" faith types would communicate to you (e.g., televangelists, Baptists/Methodists/Presbyterians, and bad Catholics), and it is difficult enough explaining to them how wrong they are...and they already believe.
Unless you attempt to explain your alleged special wisdom then no one will ever know.

I also think "religious experience" a much too vague description. Voodoo-practicioners who under a drug-induced trance might be described as having a religious experience, but it would be difficult to distinguish from hallucination or plain madness.

I always thought a religious experience was when you realized that what you were experiencing was related to God. You are still in control of body and mind, but you have the feeling of 'being filled' - like a kind of 'a-ha'-experience.

I guess "speaking in tongues" and would satisfy the general definition of a religious experience, although I haven't experienced it myself. It is much more important to just tell things as they are. If it doesn't add to anyone's faith or understanding, any "religious experience" is useless and even detrimental.

1 Cor.14:22Tongues, then, are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers; prophecy, however, is for believers, not for unbelievers. 23So if the whole church comes together and everyone speaks in tongues, and some who do not understand or some unbelievers come in, will they not say that you are out of your mind? 24But if an unbeliever or someone who does not understand comes in while everybody is prophesying, he will be convinced by all that he is a sinner and will be judged by all, 25and the secrets of his heart will be laid bare.

If to believe in fantasy is idiodicy, then most of the world must be duped.
Worldwide, 87% of people consider themselves part of a religion and only 13% said they belong to none. Believers include Roman Catholics, Protestants, other Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists and followers of other religions.
I got that from this website. If its a fantasy, then why does almost 9/10 out of every person believe in some form or another of it? HOW did a "fantasy" spread, and become so popular?

Back