What is Judaism?

Status
Not open for further replies.

S.A.M.

uniquely dreadful
Valued Senior Member
What does it mean to its followers today?

What do they think of their scriptures in the context of modern life and how do they conciliate the theory and practice of the Torah with modern living?

As far as I can tell, they practice it the same way they have for hundreds of years. Judaism is adaptable and flexible rather than dogmatic and rigid. I don't know of any significant contradictions.

When you say adaptable and flexible what does it mean? They ignore the parts they don't like?

e.g. how do Jews conciliate atheism with Judaism? Or homosexuality?

Don't these break primary laws in Judaism?

Judaism is a group evolutionary strategy more than it is anything else. Judaism has evolved to identify Jews in a primarily ethno-racial sense rather than a religious sense, which is why ideological and theological differences amongst Jews do not hinder Jewish identity.

There are several different varieties of Judaism, including Orthodox Judaism and Reform Judaism. Their practices and attitudes vary. Didn't you know that, SAM? Have you tried wikipedia?

And how does that alter my question? Does including atheists and homosexuals as Jews not break laws of the Torah if they belong to some sect?

SAM said:
And how does that alter my question?
It doesn't alter your question, it answers it.

The answer is: "It depends on the Jew".

Although most of the problems you assign to "the Jews" would disappear if only they would not listen to you tell them what their beliefs and practices are, and that simple expedient is bound to occur to a few of them.

It doesn't alter your question, it answers it.

The answer is: "It depends on the Jew".

Exactly. Which is why I am asking them. :rolleyes:

How do Jews conciliate with breaking primary laws of the Torah as being compatible with Judaism?

250px-Decalogue_parchment_by_Jekuthiel_Sofer_1768.jpg

or as the English translation says:

2 I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery;

3 Do not have any other gods before me.

4 You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, punishing children for the iniquity of parents, to the third and the fourth generation of those who reject me,

6 but showing steadfast love to the thousandth generation of those who love me and keep my commandments.

7 You shall not make wrongful use of the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not acquit anyone who misuses his name.

8 Remember the Sabbath day and keep it holy.

9 For six days you shall labour and do all your work.

10 But the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God; you shall not do any work—you, your son or your daughter, your male or female slave, your livestock, or the alien resident in your towns.

11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but rested the seventh day; therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and consecrated it.

12 Honor your father and your mother, so that your days may be long in the land that the Lord your God is giving you.

13 You shall not murder.

14 You shall not commit adultery.

15 You shall not steal.

16 You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.

17 You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or male or female slave, or ox, or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Commandments

Do they leave it to God? Do they assume it does not matter? Do they not care?

What is the assumption?

SAM said:
Exactly. Which is why I am asking them.
You are not. You're still here, with your question.

Your question, as put here, has been answered.

SAM said:
How do Jews conciliate with breaking primary laws of the Torah as being compatible with Judaism?
It depends on the Jew.

How does anyone? How do some muslims reconcile blowing themselves up and killing other people with Islam? Do christians steal? Sure. Do you have pedophile priests? Yep. It looks like Jews just might be human afterall:rolleyes:

Why theads like this remain open is beyond me. You all know that Sam isn't a total idiot and can recognize the stupidity of this question. Its obvious that this is just slight of hand bigotry yet you continue to allow it. Amazing.

An excellent example of self defeating criteria.

Probably I have a better opinion of Jews than you do, since I have no doubt at all that at least some of them will respond to the questions. Most religious people are quite willing to discuss their religion, it would be very strange indeed that any of the Jews would not.

SAM said:
Probably I have a better opinion of Jews than you do, since I have no doubt at all that at least some of them will respond to the questions
That will not, of course, answer your questions, because the embodiment of "the Jew" does not exist.

But as noted that doesn't matter, because you have the answer already.

Probably I have a better opinion of Jews than you do, since I have no doubt at all that at least some of them will respond to the questions. Most religious people are quite willing to discuss their religion, it would be very strange indeed that any of the Jews would not.

Because they of course know what a high opinion you have of them.

:roflmao:

Feel the love so to speak.

That will not, of course, answer your questions, because the embodiment of "the Jew" does not exist.

But as noted that doesn't matter, because you have the answer already.

One can never really have all the answers, can one?

Meanwhile, some of the teachings of Judaism which I am wondering about, do Jews believe in this?

e.g. what is the Torah?

"Torah" is sometimes the name given to the Five Books of Moses (also called "Chumash", or "Pentateuch"). In traditional Judaism, these five books are considered a faithful and exact record of the word of G-d to His prophet, Moses. These books describe the creation of the world, the main events of the first 2000 years of history, the origins of the family which was to become the Jewish people, our exile and slavery in Egypt, redemption, the giving of the "Torah" at Mt. Sinai and some very limited details of the 613 mitzvos which the Jews were commanded to observe.

"Torah" sometimes also refers to the whole Bible (Old Testament; "Tanach"). This collection includes the five books of Moses, eight books of the prophets, and eleven books of the "writings." These 24 books make up the written law.

However, that does not tell the whole story. There are times when the word "Torah" will be used to cover the whole, huge body of Jewish teaching - both written and oral. That includes the Tanach, the Mishna, the Talmud and many other works - all studied without stop throughout the generations until this very day.

And finally, there's "Torah" used without reference to any specific book, but to the sum of all the knowledge that's to be found in all of these works together. How to apply the principles of the Torah to a world forever changing has been the work of every generation's greatest scholars. The sum total of the untiring labor of these thousands of dedicated leaders is the "Torah" in its largest meaning - one of the greatest libraries in the world.

the basics of Jewish belief:

The source for the following summary of each of these thirteen principles is Maimonides' introduction to the tenth chapter of the Mishnaic tractate, Sanhedrin.

1. The existence of the world or any part of it is dependent upon the existence of the single, unique Creator. But the existence of this Creator, the Master of the universe, is not dependent on anything.

2. This principle is known as "Yichud" -- G-d's Oneness. There is only one G-d. He is unique, and is without any divisions. There is nothing in the universe with which we can compare His Oneness. This aspect of G-d's existence is clear from the verse "Hear, oh Israel, G-d is our Lord, G-d is one." (Deut. 6 4).

3. G-d has no body or any physical aspect, nor is His Power that of a physical body. This principle builds on the logic of the previous one. If G-d were to have a body, it would limit Him to the confines of that body, and therefore He would not be infinite and incomparable in the same way. There are many places in the Bible where G-d is described as "stretching out His hand" (or doing some similar physical action). These are only figures of speech (anthropomorphisms). They are sublime actions couched in words that humans can understand.

4. G-d has always existed and always will. He is eternal. Again, if this weren't true, and G-d would be limited (by time) and he would no longer be "infinite."

5. Idolatry: There is no individual or power besides G-d whom it is fitting to worship or serve. Even to worship (or attribute independent power to) intermediaries (like angels, other human beings, stars or planets) is forbidden. Such worship is in the category of idolatry. G-d created the universe and every single one of its parts, it is to Him that we owe all of our gratitude and subservience.

6. The sixth principle of the Rambam is "Nevu'a" - prophecy. G-d grants prophecy to people who have perfected their personal character and who follow all the commandments of the Torah. Prophecy does not come to unlearned and unprepared people.

7. The prophecy of our teacher Moses (through whom the Torah was transmitted at Mt Sinai) was greater than all other prophecy in four ways:
1. It was not "heard" through any intermediary (i.e. an angel, a cloudy vision) but was directly from G-d.
2. It was always given while Moshe was wide awake, in complete control of his faculties.
3. Moshe was not overcome with shaking and dread as were other prophets, but was calm and alert.
4. Moshe had the incredible ability to summon prophecy at will. Other prophets had to prepare and wait until G-d chose to appear.

8. The giving of the Torah: The words of the Written Torah (the "Five Books of Moses") are the true and completely accurate words of G-d. The words in the Torah were dictated by G-d to Moshe. In essence, the verse "Shema Yisroel..." - (Hear O Israel...) is just as meaningful to us as the lists of names and places written in the Torah. They all come from G-d and there is great, limitless wisdom to be found in every word. G-d also taught Moshe how to carry out the commandments found in the Written Torah; these G-d-given explanations form part of what we call the Oral Torah.

9. Since the entire Torah comes from G-d, one may not add to it or subtract from it (i.e. add or subtract commandments. For instance to say that there is no commandment of Tefillin...).

10. G-d is aware of all our actions and does not ignore them.

11. There is reward and punishment for our actions in this world.

12. The Messiah (lit "anointed one"), a descendant of King David, will come, and could come at any time. He will be wiser than King Soloman and possess a level of prophecy close to that of Moses.

13. There will eventually be a revival of the dead.

The Temple and The Jews:

We think of our times and the conditions under which we live as normal. It's "normal" for some of us to do the wrong things on Shabbos - some of the time. It's normal for us to eat without knowing if the food is quite kosher or to eat without a proper blessing. It's normal for us to assume it's impossible to go a whole day - even one whole hour - without sin. And it's normal for us to feel just a little guilty about it, but to continue on anyway. After all, what's there to do?

Imagine if there was something you could do? Imagine if right after a mistake (or at the next festival, if you're in no great hurry), it was possible to travel to Jerusalem and enter this most beautiful of buildings with an animal or flour offering. Once there, we would place the offering in the warm hands of a Kohen - a priest who is trained to perfection in the art of the Temple service - and watch him offer our animal on the altar.

What a feeling of release from burden! We've betrayed our mission and our unending debt to G-d... and He's still willing to forgive us! As the animal burns on the altar - where we should have been if we were judged as our actions deserved - we are given a clean slate to start with, like a newborn baby.

What a joy that must have been!

What else is "normal" in our lives? What about the Tumah - impurity? We're so insensitive to Tahara (purity) that we don't even feel its absence. But there's no doubt that if we could become Tahor, our minds would become clearer, we would be able to learn more Torah and we could come closer to real love of G-d.

Until the Temple will be built, there will be no complete Tahara.

Are these basic beliefs of Judaism relevant?

source: http://www.torah.org/

SAM said:
One can never really have all the answers, can one?
One can have the answer to your questions here, and you do: It depends on the Jew.

SAM said:
Meanwhile, some of the teachings of Judaism which I am wondering about, do Jews believe in this?
It depends on the Jew.

Again: the simple expedient of not telling Jews what their beliefs are, what their religion says, etc, will facilitate the whole process of getting to that answer - you don't need the long quotes and stuff.

Are the basic tenets of ANY religion relevant. The answer to these questions are the same as they are for christians, muslims and buddhists. This is simply religious baiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back