what is a true christian?

I want to show how our modern values
Some modern values, it's not a distilled world. And it's not really that courage, justice, mercy and others are not known elsewhere. I think those are qualities of civilised societies, nothing particulary christian, and some are just pure human qualities in almost anywhere, like courage, sense of justice, etc.

And anti-discrimination, it's a farly new development together with human rights and really took off just after WWII. Almost 2000 years after Christ is said to be nailed.

Last edited:
(Q) said:
Where in the bible or any other religious scriptures is the concept of disagreement and debate? And if you are disagreeing and debating Christianity, isn't that against the will of your god?

Wouldn't that make Christians hypocrites for doing so?
Most of Paul's letters are arguments on various matters of dispute e.g. whether christians should be circumcised, whether pork was still forbidden, whether gentiles were 'lesser' christians than jews etc. etc. However he aknowledges that people are going to be different in 1Corinthians:

1CO12:12-18 For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ. For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit. For the body is not one member, but many. If the foot shall say, Because I am not the hand, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body? And if the ear shall say, Because I am not the eye, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body? If the whole body were an eye, where were the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where were the smelling? But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him.

That 'being many' would presumably include some divergence of views. Obviously he was trying to get consensus, and form agreed policies for the fledgeling christian church. The Council of Nicea in AD325 and subsequent ecumenical councils consolidated that process, and 'outlawed' various heresies - so as not to be a 'house divided'. However, it is not a biblical instruction to excommunicate heretics.

ACT2:21 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

The fact that Jesus never wrote any doctrines, made very few 'rules' and spoke mostly in parables indicates that he wanted people to work out the meaning for themselves. So, in working out the message for ourselves, we may disagree. This is only hypocricy, and against the 'will of God' if it makes us enemies, and stops us seeing each other as 'brothers'.

JHN14:2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Some modern values, it's not a distilled world. And it's not really that courage, justice, mercy and others are not known elsewhere. I think those are qualities of civilised societies, nothing particulary christian.
I would agree Avatar, our values and culture have many roots, christianity is just one of them. Some 'virtues' go back to Aristotle, and our values may also converge with those of other societies. However, some may be specifically christian. e.g.

And anti-discrimination, it's a farly new development together with human rights and really took off just after WWII. Almost 2000 years after Christ is said to be nailed.
Yes, it has taken a long time! I would argue that they are derived from Christian ideals of: ...brother/sisterhood:

ROM12:5 So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.
...and respect for the underdog:

MAT25:40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
...and equality:

MRK9:35 And he sat down, and called the twelve, and saith unto them, If any man desire to be first, the same shall be last of all, and servant of all.
Add those up and you get the basis for our modern values of anti-discrimination and human rights.

(Q) said:
One who believes in TRUE fairy tales?

But, really folks, don't we first need to define 'True' and 'Christian' and what connotation is refered to in so much as one describing the other?

A true Christian = Christians before the time of King Constantine.

567 said:
A true Christian = Christians before the time of King Constantine.

Lol - That answer just about sums up your intelligence

The correct answer is:- A Christian is one who professes belief in the teachings of Jesus Christ.

Back