What if...

jcarl said:
You experience a genuinely religious/supernatural event. You cannot explain it by logic/reason. How do you react?
Im curious, what is a religious/supernatural event?

§outh§tar

A Christian would react properly.

Enigma'07

What defines "properly?"

Well not all visions that seem like they are from God are from God. But visions come with a message. So i would compare the message with the Word Of God to see if it was from God or not. I have never had visions myself but i have had dreams.

All praise The Ancient Of Days

Judging by his evasive and ambiguous posts, it looks like SouthStar will not admit to how he would truly react since to say anything supportive of the event knowing that logic and reason are not available would be an admission of being irrational, illogical and unreasonable. But then that is the proper, correct, and only reaction one would expect from a Christian.

Kat

Originally posted by Katazia:
It would be one of deep and intense curiosity to understand an unexplained phenomenon. If as you say logic and reason can’t explain it then that can only mean there is no apparent evidence for the cause. The next step would be to search for an explanation using the best possible tools we have, i.e. logic and reason.

My response would be similar.

But, aren't logic and reason ultimately based on your own perception?
Is there a way to register an event without the logic filters inherent in our perception? Would the event register in memory? If not, what's stopping the idea that we could and do have these phenomenon every day?

Katazia said:
Judging by his evasive and ambiguous posts, it looks like SouthStar will not admit to how he would truly react since to say anything supportive of the event knowing that logic and reason are not available would be an admission of being irrational, illogical and unreasonable. But then that is the proper, correct, and only reaction one would expect from a Christian.

Kat

How quick you are to judge. And above all, you have reached a shameful conclusion!

There is no one way for a Christian to act considering the Holy Spirit works miracles but there are some things we would all do:

Fall down on our face (fear)
- Happens in Isaiah 5
- Abscond (Moses does it when the burning bush...)
- Marvel (Self-explanatory)

As for some/most Gentiles:
- Behave like the Pharisees did when Jesus peformed His miracles.

I am sure you still have scorn in your heart so maybe this will put it in better perspective:

38Then some of the Pharisees and teachers of the law said to him, "Teacher, we want to see a miraculous sign from you."
39He answered, "A wicked and adulterous generation asks for a miraculous sign! But none will be given it except the sign of the prophet Jonah. 40For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. 41The men of Nineveh will stand up at the judgment with this generation and condemn it; for they repented at the preaching of Jonah, and now one[5] greater than Jonah is here. 42The Queen of the South will rise at the judgment with this generation and condemn it; for she came from the ends of the earth to listen to Solomon's wisdom, and now one greater than Solomon is here.

Such denial...

Q25 said:
Im curious, what is a religious/supernatural event?

My interpretation of a religious/supernatural event would be anything that gives the observer an inkling of a reason to believe that there is a deity. My ideal situation would be where something traumatic happened(car wreck, etc) and the person avoided death or maiming. If I were that person, and this is probably a reflection of my bias, I would be hard pressed to not see something divine in that. Some of you may call it luck, but I personally don't believe such a thing doesn't exist.

Katazia said:
Jcarl,

Oh no quite the reverse. It would be one of deep and intense curiosity to understand an unexplained phenomenon. If as you say logic and reason can’t explain it then that can only mean there is no apparent evidence for the cause.[/B]

Not necessarily. We may know that something caused something else, but that doesn't mean that we are able to explain why that happens.

Jcarl,

My emphasis was on explaining the cause not explaining why, but understanding the cause often goes a long way to explaining the why.

Kat

jcarl said:
You experience a genuinely religious/supernatural event. You cannot explain it by logic/reason. How do you react?.

Firstly to a logical thinker, it would not be a genuine, religious or supernatural.
Secondly for every action there must be a reaction, therefore your only conclusion, would that it's unknown at the present time, put I cant ever seeing that happening.
and you'd proberly not give it a second thought.

I was once ask If god, changed all the clouds into words, would that convince you of the existence of god, I said, who see's this happen, the answer, just you . So I said hullicination.
so then I was ask, what if others were there, then I would question the possiblity of mass hypnosis I would always question as there is no logic to clouds reforming into words (example) so I and all the thinkers of world, would continue to look for an answer, as we know a logical one, will turn up eventually.

allah has not performed any miracles therefore he/it/she doesn't count.
So anyone who has performed something that cannot be explained other than using the word miracle counts, so if it was something not to do with christianity and was a truely religious experience what would be the proper reaction for a christian?

My interpretation of a religious/supernatural event would be anything that gives the observer an inkling of a reason to believe that there is a deity. My ideal situation would be where something traumatic happened(car wreck, etc) and the person avoided death or maiming. If I were that person, and this is probably a reflection of my bias, I would be hard pressed to not see something divine in that. Some of you may call it luck, but I personally don't believe such a thing doesn't exist.

My interpretation is that any event so truly different as to be supernatural and out of the realm of ordinary experience would not result in the acknowledgement of a "deity", because such easy definitions come out of our linear language-based mode of being and do not apply. There is common to such experiences the notion of the dissolving of boundries; between self and other, between deity and ordinary. If anything, I think the recognition of our own devine nature would happen. All this means is that there is no separation between higher and lower, you and I are the same stuff as the rest of reality, which is not what we ordinarily think it is.

there is no logic to clouds reforming into words
there actually is a chance of this happening. one that is so remote i don't have the endurance to type out all of the zeros.

i have seen chairs levitate and spin in mid air. i have seen dark figures walking through my room. i have seen hats disappear and reappear a second later. supernatural events? i would call them hallucinations.

and southstar, if a guy with horns and a pitchfork appeared in your room to say he'd see you in fifteen years, what would you call that?

§outh§tar said:
How quick you are to judge. And above all, you have reached a shameful conclusion!

There is no one way for a Christian to act considering the Holy Spirit works miracles but there are some things we would all do:

Fall down on our face (fear)
- Happens in Isaiah 5
- Abscond (Moses does it when the burning bush...)
- Marvel (Self-explanatory)

As for some/most Gentiles:
- Behave like the Pharisees did when Jesus peformed His miracles.

I am sure you still have scorn in your heart so maybe this will put it in better perspective:

38Then some of the Pharisees and teachers of the law said to him, "Teacher, we want to see a miraculous sign from you."
39He answered, "A wicked and adulterous generation asks for a miraculous sign! But none will be given it except the sign of the prophet Jonah. 40For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. 41The men of Nineveh will stand up at the judgment with this generation and condemn it; for they repented at the preaching of Jonah, and now one[5] greater than Jonah is here. 42The Queen of the South will rise at the judgment with this generation and condemn it; for she came from the ends of the earth to listen to Solomon's wisdom, and now one greater than Solomon is here.

Such denial...

Even when they did see a miraculous sign they reacted like this:

Mark 3
22And the scribes who came down from Jerusalem said, "He has Beelzebub," and, "By the ruler of the demons He casts out demons."

LOL There is no pleasing some people.

All praise The Ancient Of Days

G`day...

Quote Adstar:
"Even when they did see a miraculous sign they reacted like this:

Mark 3
22And the scribes who came down from Jerusalem said, "He has Beelzebub," and, "By the ruler of the demons He casts out demons."

Why does your god feel the need to impress folk by using smoke and mirrors, and a David Copperfield floor show?

Quote Adstar:
"LOL There is no pleasing some people."

Yup, David Copperfield can never please me.

Allcare.

fahrenheit 451 said:
Firstly to a logical thinker, it would not be a genuine, religious or supernatural.[/B]

I think to a naturalist, it would not be genuine. This isn't necessarily the same thing as a logical thinker.

so then I was ask, what if others were there, then I would question the possiblity of mass hypnosis I would always question as there is no logic to clouds reforming into words (example) so I and all the thinkers of world, would continue to look for an answer, as we know a logical one, will turn up eventually.

Define logically. Naturalistic? Isn't that begging the question that naturalism is right?

Back