What if...

jcarl

Starving...Why Wait?
Registered Senior Member
I'm going to propose a hypothetical to you guys(which I guess is redundant considering the title). Some of you I'm sure will declare this situation to be impossible. Fine. If that's the case, then use your imagination.

You experience a genuinely religious/supernatural event. You cannot explain it by logic/reason. How do you react?

Again I realize this is ivory tower to some of you, but think about, and let me know what your response would be.

If it cannot be explained via logic or reason then it is unexplainable. We do not have any method superior to logic and reason for discovering new knowledge. Our conclusion is simply that we do not know, like so many other things in the universe that we do not yet understand.

Kat

How else would one react?

Would you have us invent a complex and undetectable hierarchy of mysterious 'spirits' and disembodied 'forces' to explain it?

Hey if your reaction is nothing thats fine by me. Your decision.

i guess it would depend on the event, but when i saw a whole stadium pass out (myself included) during one of those religious events thats always on the gosspel channel, it made my beliefs even more concrete.

I have experienced such events that cannot really be explained by logic. Most religions would consider this as justification for belief. My reaction was disbelief. The ultimate reality is inherently unbelievable. I think if you believe in God, for example, you still have not seen him. One I had a vision of Jesus, who advised me about a certain course of events I should take. I didn't take the advice (yet), and things did turn out badly, but I still don't believe it.

Was that your first vision or have u had others(not especially about jesus).

You experience a genuinely religious/supernatural event. You cannot explain it by logic/reason. How do you react?

I would not really react, it proves nothing. It just poses more questions and gives no satisfying answers.

Luck, I "explain" such things as luck.

Once in the winter in the mountains, I slipped on the ice, and was sliding towards the edge of the slope, but I somehow managed to use the ice pick and stopped myself from sliding -- a few meters before the edge. I'd otherwise fall into the white icy stony abyss, and be dead. Divine intervention? I say it was luck.

Not to mention the things I sometimes dream of ... Felicitious coincidences, luck.

Sometimes I feel that there is so much beauty in this world ... that I just can't take it ... I think that my heart will cave in ...

What would those questions be? What might they lead to?

Questions:

Was it God, does he really exist?
Is there more than one higher entity?
Were we attacked by aliens?
Was it mother earth? Have we angered her?
Was it a natural and coincidental event?

There are more. And for every possible answers there are
several possible questions.

RosaMagika said:
Luck, I "explain" such things as luck.

Once in the winter in the mountains, I slipped on the ice, and was sliding towards the edge of the slope, but I somehow managed to use the ice pick and stopped myself from sliding -- a few meters before the edge. I'd otherwise fall into the white icy stony abyss, and be dead. Divine intervention? I say it was luck.

Not to mention the things I sometimes dream of ... Felicitious coincidences, luck.

Sometimes I feel that there is so much beauty in this world ... that I just can't take it ... I think that my heart will cave in ...

No such thing as luck, else you'd be dead.

Jcarl,

So your reaction to it would be...nothing?
Oh no quite the reverse. It would be one of deep and intense curiosity to understand an unexplained phenomenon. If as you say logic and reason can’t explain it then that can only mean there is no apparent evidence for the cause. The next step would be to search for an explanation using the best possible tools we have, i.e. logic and reason.

Kat

It is utterly idiotic to ignore something that you can't explain.

What if people still ignored why there is a sun in the sky, because they couldn't explain it?

What if people still ignored why plants can heal people because they couldn't explain it?

Do you realy define logic as something that everyone else tells you to be real, instead of what you yourself experience?

THINK don't be a sheep.

I suppose that I would have to admit to the existance of a higher power that is beyond what I can comprehend.

jcarl said:
I'm going to propose a hypothetical to you guys(which I guess is redundant considering the title). Some of you I'm sure will declare this situation to be impossible. Fine. If that's the case, then use your imagination.

Again I realize this is ivory tower to some of you, but think about, and let me know what your response would be.

Everything has a reason for happening, for you and me, as a simple human beings, that reason may be hard to comprehand :) The thing is, when you find yourself in such a situation, well, you do not react at all, you just stand there :) However, someone else might react diferently... And imho everything can be explained 'reasonably'

A Christian would react properly.

All others would react as they do, ignorantly.

//Awaits the consequent flaming with childish glee. :D

Back