What if I made up my own Religion?

You need believers to have a religion - try a bit of preaching and proselytising, come back and tell us how many followers joined up.

Interestingly, it didn't occur to me to make a religion to present to other people or try to win fellow believers.
I was thinking about making my own Religion, for myself - this is why I formulated my criteria in first person singular.

Interestingly, it didn't occur to me to make a religion to present to other people or try to win fellow believers.
I was thinking about making my own Religion, for myself - this is why I formulated my criteria in first person singular.

A big part of what religion does is get a group of people together so they can all play and feel good together.

A religion with a single member, who would then be the prophet, pope, bishop, priest, and acolyte, would also confess to themselves, and pray, or commune at a service they would also lead, etc.

A religion is generally assumed to mean a group of people, for a start. Who would you tell to wait at the bottom of the mountain, while you climb it, to have a chat with the big guy?

A religion with a single member, who would then be the prophet, pope, bishop, priest, and acolyte, would also confess to themselves, and pray, or commune at a service they would also lead, etc.

A religion is generally assumed to mean a group of people, for a start. Who would you tell to wait at the bottom of the mountain, while you climb it, to have a chat with the big guy?

??

I see no need in shaping my religion after a particular Christian model.

I'm siding with lightgigantic here: what makes your "religion" a religion and not some sort of moral philosophy? Or, if you claim your religion to be both, why is it both and not one or the other?

I'm siding with lightgigantic here: what makes your "religion" a religion and not some sort of moral philosophy? Or, if you claim your religion to be both, why is it both and not one or the other?

I can't specify the terminology yet, other than a general term ("religion") to describe what this what I am doing is about - because it is a work in progress. A work in progress in the sense that I predict that acting on the views I accepted at time T1 will possibly change my experience of myself and the world, so that later at T2, views might be acceptable that at T1 were not acceptable or that I was undecided about them. Perhaps in time and as the results of acting on an accepted set of beliefs will show, I might even change the criteria for accepting new beliefs into my system or for rejecting them.

Perhaps this seems overly ambitious - but I dread the idea of having to settle with one set of beliefs for the rest of my life.

But I want to reply to Lightgigantic's post, too.

Perhaps this seems overly ambitious - but I dread the idea of having to settle with one set of beliefs for the rest of my life.

That's a very strange dread. What if that one set of beliefs happens to be correct, or the best set of beliefs a person can hold?

What if that one set of beliefs happens to be correct, or the best set of beliefs a person can hold?

How can I possibly know this currently or in advance?

That a particular set of beliefs is correct or the best one a person can hold can only be recognized in hindsight, "after all is said and done".

Namely, I know from experience that acting on a set of beliefs -beliefs that at the time seem correct and best- can produce results that create new circumstances, new states of mind where that old set of beliefs is not correct and best anymore. I extrapolate that the same might be happening throughout my whole life.

How can I possibly know this currently or in advance?

That a particular set of beliefs is correct or the best one a person can hold can only be recognized in hindsight, "after all is said and done".

Namely, I know from experience that acting on a set of beliefs -beliefs that at the time seem correct and best- can produce results that create new circumstances, new states of mind where that old set of beliefs is not correct and best anymore. I extrapolate that the same might be happening throughout my whole life.

But I'm referring specifically to your dread concerning such a correct set of beliefs. That's what I find strange. If anything, we should strive to find the one set that can handle everything we can throw at it. If we were to come to this momentary peace, why is there any fear?

This is more of a moral system than a religion - religion, in the proper sense of the word, is an issues of realization/revelation, and everything else follows that (eg moral system/regulative principles etc). Doing it the the other way around is kind of like getting the horse before the cart.

What is someone who does not have revelation nor realization supposed to do?
One can only reasonably work with what one currently has, whatever that might be.

maybe you can get a better idea what I mean by seeing as follows

IOW when one understands the issue of ultimate benefit, then the issue of suffering can be properly analyzed.

Of course, seeing things in the long-term perspective is part of reducing suffering.

2. Those views should positively address my Worst Case Scenario, give me hope for something better despite the possibility of the Worst Case Scenario coming true.

not sure what you mean here since there is an array of significances one can drive into such a statement - for instance the worst case scenario for a criminal would be getting caught by the police

Like I said above, my worst case scenario is to end up in eternal hellfire.
Image: A lovely meadow with beautiful trees, a big river in the middle. I am in the river up to my nose, with piranhas eating me alive. God is hovering above the water, tapping me on the head, saying "You were told to believe in me, and you didn't! Ha ha, suits you right!" People like Lori and Adstar sitting on the river bank, laughing at me, saying "You should have believes what we told you! It was entirely your own choice to end up the way you did! You are evil and we are loving and good people!" When the piranhas eat me and I lose consciousness, I wake up on the river bank, with a new body. God comes and kicks me back into the water. Piranhas eat on me again. The whole thing repeats infinitely.

Bad case scenarios include being attacked by a pitt bull, losing my job, becoming severely ill, constantly having fire and brimstone Christians trying to convert me.

My ideal belief system would have to be such as to enable me to have some peace of mind even despite the worst case scenario coming true, and of course if the bad case scenarios would come true.

(IOW there are pre-existing issues of our values/knowledge that need to be addressed before we can rightly establish our hopes as divine or conducive to spiritual advancement)

True. But like I said above, one can only work with what one has. And if one is an immoral person, then the value system of an immoral person is what one has to work with, not some ideal, divine value system.

well that might be ideal but it may not be practical - basically to be properly conscious in all circumstances requires purity, and purity requires practice

Of course. My belief system would have to include concentration practices and whatever else might be or become necessary.

they are excellent general principles for morality, but the issue or entering into a state of "connecting" with god is the real mechanics of a religious system - since god is the topmost of purity/morals/etc, by coming into contact with him all such issues are automatically resolved - kind of like when you go to a restaurant and order a meal you don't have to especially request that they bring it on a plate (it is already resolved that a meal will come on a plate)

I don't have contact with God, so this is not something I could count on in the development of my belief system, at least not for now.

If anything, we should strive to find the one set that can handle everything we can throw at it.

Of course.

If we were to come to this momentary peace, why is there any fear?

Because that peace would be, as you said, momentary. Temporary, passing.
And then there would, again, be suffering - and the desire to alleviate it.

I wonder what would be so wrong with that?

Here's what I would do:

I would take views, stances, statements from various religions and philosophies; and try to combine them into my Religion.

My criteria for accepting those various views would be as follows:

1. Acting on those views should not cause suffering to myself or others. If I would predict that acting on a particular view would cause suffering to myself or others, I would abandon that view.

2. Those views should positively address my Worst Case Scenario, give me hope for something better despite the possibility of the Worst Case Scenario coming true.

3. Those views should not provoke anger, ill will, hatred or sensual desire in me. If they would, I would abandon those views.

4. Those views should be such that I could act on them each moment of each and every day, 24/7, no matter what the situation, circumstances or my state of mind at the time.

There, I predict this would make for a good Religion.

You stole #4 from Reformed Myuunitarianism. :eek: Although #3 is kind of a contradiction in philosophy, in part.

Why don't you read up on how L. Ron Hubbard did it with Scientology? He combined a science fiction novel he'd already written (Battlefield Earth) with a self-help philosophy he was already selling (Dianetics) and called the combination a religion. That way he didn't have to pay any taxes.

Pretty nifty.

I wonder what would be so wrong with that?

Here's what I would do:

I would take views, stances, statements from various religions and philosophies; and try to combine them into my Religion.

My criteria for accepting those various views would be as follows:

1. Acting on those views should not cause suffering to myself or others. If I would predict that acting on a particular view would cause suffering to myself or others, I would abandon that view.

3. Those views should not provoke anger, ill will, hatred or sensual desire in me. If they would, I would abandon those views.

4. Those views should be such that I could act on them each moment of each and every day, 24/7, no matter what the situation, circumstances or my state of mind at the time.

There, I predict this would make for a good Religion.

As a young man growing up in the south then a few stints around the world in the military I observed many things related to religion. A man can get up in front of a crowd and preach his religion. A few in the crowd will identify with the man, the few turns into many. The more crowds, the more members. Soon, the man finds he has power, money, and influence. I have seen many fleece the flock, and many sound of soul. A higher power is what you make of it. Myself, the higher power is what you do in life, do no harm. Help those that need it when you can. Karma.

greenberg,

God is hovering above the water, tapping me on the head, saying "You were told to believe in me, and you didn't! Ha ha, suits you right!"

Aside from the input of other humans, where do you get this idea from?

Jan.

Aside from the input of other humans, where do you get this idea from?

I know it seems absurd. I've had such ideas about God being evil for a long time, I don't think I actually got them in such a form from anyone, I never was into the whole "goth" and "dark" and such scene.
But I have taken popular claims about God to their logical conclusions, and the result is the worst case scenario I've presented above.

My greatest fear is that human action is all for naught - and this can only be if the Universe is chaotic, evil or ruled by an evil or insane god.
And this is why I take that worst case scenario seriously - because my fear that human action might be all for naught is real. God being evil is only part of that fear.

Calculations of likelihood do not mean much to me, though. Just because something isn't likely, does not yet mean that it is impossible. I am afraid that samsara, with all its horrors, could be forever, with no salvation from it. - So in the face of that, what would be the best course of action to take? - that is my question.

greenberg,

But I have taken popular claims about God to their logical conclusions, and the result is the worst case scenario I've presented above.

Can you give few examles of "popular claims about God"?

Jan.

I know it seems absurd. I've had such ideas about God being evil for a long time, I don't think I actually got them in such a form from anyone, I never was into the whole "goth" and "dark" and such scene.

My greatest fear is that human action is all for naught - and this can only be if the Universe is chaotic, evil or ruled by an evil or insane god.
And this is why I take that worst case scenario seriously - because my fear that human action might be all for naught is real. God being evil is only part of that fear.

Calculations of likelihood do not mean much to me, though. Just because something isn't likely, does not yet mean that it is impossible. I am afraid that samsara, with all its horrors, could be forever, with no salvation from it. - So in the face of that, what would be the best course of action to take? - that is my question.

Evil exists. Evil does walk the earth. I have come across individuals that exude a real darkness, makes the hair stand up on end. Good exists, as a :)balance in life. Not always apparent. If I was God, I would ask of man, "How could you stand there and let this type of suffering go on? How could you let so many die of hunger? Why all of the unjust? Why all the war? I have given you a gift of life and an unbound curiosity, how could this happen?" Something to think about. Not really into a lot of religion or anything, just know about evil and what little good I have seen. As far as a course of action, my bonehead stats professor from MIT put it simply, "It is better to die a christian and be wrong about life after death than to die an atheist and be wrong about God.

Yes -

- God will judge and send people either to eternal heaven or to eternal hellfire. This way, justice will be done.

- The righteous will rejoice when justice is done.

- Whether a person believes in God or not is entirely the person's choice.

- God has created everyone in his own image.

- Humans have an evil nature, that is what they really are and will remain so forever. But God has mercy on them, this is why He lets them live.

- God is infinitely benevolent and merciful.

- God will smite and punish those who oppose Him.

- God will rescue His flock.

- God has created the Universe and everything in it.

- If a person does something evil, this is entirely the person's choice. God has nothing to do with the choices people make.

- Anything good that a person does is inspired by God.

- Good actions mean nothing on Judgment Day if you don't believe in Jesus.

Last edited:

There are also some popular claims about God which are usually only implied by many theists, and rarely or never expressed -

- Everyone who does not believe in God, opposes God.

- My kind of theism is the right kind of theism. Besides, it's not even my kind of theism, it is Jesus's theism.

- I know God better than you, my pagan listener, do.

- You are a stupid pagan and this stupidity is entirely your choice. You are willfully rebelling.

- Everyone already knows God, it is impossible not to know God. Those who say they don't know God, are lying.

- God loves you. If you can't see that, it's your problem, not God's.

Back