What existed before paganism?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prior to those tree hugging, mystical pagan worshippers, what did people do on Sundays?

go on with their lifes. Hunt mammoth. Eat stake. Sleep. Make tools. Maybe have some celebrations.

But the question here is...did people really acknowledge the days of the week...and I highly doubt it.
So sundays to them was as mondays...

Stonehenge is actually a large clock. It works well too.. :D

What did the builders do? Other than drag big bits of rock all over the place, they probably hunted and cooked and stuff like that.

at Night...? Especially in England with clouds and smog all the time...

You know, you saying that actually instinctively made me turn round and look outside. To my amazement there is this awesome sunset.. very few clouds and no smog! Stick that up your bum and smoke it :D

You know, you saying that actually instinctively made me turn round and look outside. To my amazement there is this awesome sunset.. very few clouds and no smog! Stick that up your bum and smoke it :D

well the true purpose of my comment was to evoke that sort of response and find out were you live. And you fell for that. So now...let me just check here in my long list all the locations of the members here....SnakeLord...UK...check.

okie...dokiee...

And you fell for that. So now...let me just check here in my long list all the locations of the members here....SnakeLord...UK...check

Dude, my great, great, great, great... (sod it.. add a bunch of greats), grandfather was a druid. I am well versed in druid practices so you best watch yourself unless you want me to do some druidy spell thingy and turn you into... well... something, I dunno. I can manage a hedgehog, you ok with that?

The term "Pagan" is a Christian adaptation of the "Gentile" of Judaism, and as such has an inherent Christian or Abrahamic bias, and pejorative connotations among Westerners,[2] comparable to heathen, and infidel, mushrik and kafir (كافر) in Islam. For this reason, ethnologists avoid the term "Paganism", with its uncertain and varied meanings, in referring to traditional or historic faiths, preferring more precise categories such as polytheism, shamanism, pantheism, or animism. [wiki]

Well, for example, what did the people who built Stonehenge worship or do as a religion?
Shamanism/Animism. Human religion for over 200,000 years was almost entirely shamanistic, which is a form of paganism/polytheism. Henotheism, and later monotheism, didn't really enter the picture until about 5000 years ago.
The guys who built Stonehenge were probably neolithic Celts, and thus were animist. "Pagan", as you would call it.

Weren't they Druids?
The Druids were just a caste in Celtic society. A lot like the Brahmins in India, they had priestly duties, but they weren't just priests; they also had responsibilities corresponding to roles of the scholar, magistrate, judge, arbitrator, and healer.

Pagan comes from the latin "paganus", which means "old country dweller, rustic".
The term "Pagan" is a Christian adaptation of the "Gentile" of Judaism; and it was first used in the current Era.

Not a single chance that it was the first religion.

I actually love hedgehogs...I had one once when I was 5 years old and the hedgehog ran up to my father and bit his toe. that was funny

Lol.

------

John:

Only so much can be pieced together without the written word which causes many problems, (I suppose it's why Egyptology exists as it does but you don't tend to hear of Celtology - all the "writings" left by the Egyptians).

To quote wiki:

"Britain has been inhabited by members of the homo genus for hundreds of thousands of years and by homo sapiens for tens of thousands of years. However, none of the pre-Roman inhabitants of Britain had any written language, so their history, culture and way of life are known only through archaeological finds."

Without written records, your question will be difficult to answer.

Pagan comes from the latin "paganus", which means "old country dweller, rustic".
The term "Pagan" is a Christian adaptation of the "Gentile" of Judaism; and it was first used in the current Era.

Not a single chance that it was the first religion.
True; it was initially used as a derisive term; however, now, it can be used (but by no means is universally used) as a catch-all term for the many kinds of polytheism, animism, shamanism, and pantheism.
If one goes by that definition, "paganism" can be considered the first family of religions. But, it is too broad a term to be considered "the first religion".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back