What Do Muslims Believe about Jesus?

Proud_Muslim

Shield of Islam
Registered Senior Member
What Do Muslims Believe about Jesus ( Pbuh )?

Muslims respect and revere Jesus (peace be upon him). They consider him one of the greatest of God’s messengers to mankind. The Quran confirms his virgin birth, and a chapter of the Quran is entitled ‘Maryam’ (Mary). The Quran describes the birth of Jesus as follows:

'' (Remember) when the angels said, “O Mary, God gives you good news of a word from Him (God), whose name is the Messiah Jesus, son of Mary, revered in this world and the Hereafter, and one of those brought near (to God). He will speak to the people from his cradle and as a man, and he is of the righteous.” She said, “My Lord, how can I have a child when no mortal has touched me?” He said, “So (it will be). God creates what He wills. If He decrees a thing, He says to it only, ‘Be!’ and it is.” (Quran, 3:45-47)

Jesus was born miraculously by the command of God which had brought Adam into being without a father. God has said:

'' The case of Jesus with God is like the case of Adam. He created him from dust, and then He said to him, “Be!” and he came into being.'' (Quran, 3:59)

During his prophetic mission, Jesus performed many miracles. God tells us that Jesus said:

“I have come to you with a sign from your Lord. I make for you the shape of a bird out of clay, I breathe into it, and it becomes a bird by God’s permission. I heal the blind from birth and the leper. And I bring the dead to life by God’s permission. And I tell you what you eat and what you store in your houses....” (Quran, 3:49)

Muslims believe that Jesus was not crucified. It was the plan of Jesus’ enemies to crucify him, but God saved him and raised him up to Him. And the likeness of Jesus was put over another man. Jesus’ enemies took this man and crucified him, thinking that he was Jesus. God has said:

'' ...They said, “We killed the Messiah Jesus, son of Mary, the messenger of God.” They did not kill him, nor did they crucify him, but the likeness of him was put on another man (and they killed that man)...'' (Quran, 4:157)

Neither Muhammad nor Jesus came to change the basic doctrine of the belief in one God, brought by earlier prophets, but rather to confirm and renew it.

http://www.islam-guide.com/frm-ch3-10.htm

That was actually a very good summary about how muslims perceive the prophet Jesus peace be upon him.

Thank you Flores, it is the time to tell our christian friends about the truth of Jesus (pbuh ).

Proud_Muslim said:
Thank you Flores, it is the time to tell our christian friends about the truth of Jesus (pbuh ).

Yes, I agree. As much as I would like to ignore this subject, it really disturbes my peace to see such a noble rightous man depicted in lies and abused and disfigured beyond belief with blood violence and other myth. It's just not fair.

I really don't understand the mentality of the christians, specially the baptists. Us muslims are hot blooded and step up fast whenever we see abuse regardless of who or what is getting abused. I don't understand the cold calculated murder mentality that allows an innocent man to torture and die in the name of "HE DIED FOR THEM"....How utterly selfish....

The difference between muslims and christians is clear. Muslims are willing to die for their principals, while christians would rather kill their principals so they may have life.

Last edited:
Well, Jesus died for his principles, and the Christian view that it was all for a noble purpose is an attempt to come to terms with their savior's death, not realizing that as a mortal human like the rest of us, he was trying to be an example, not a God.

Proud_Muslim said:

Hallo proud Muslim. The Holy Quran says great things about Jesus. Thanx for truthfully presenting them.

One thing my friend I would ask you is check out the fact that the Quran says Jesus is coming back to earth at the last day when Allah shall resurrect those who believed and served th e only true God.
The trumpet call shall be sounded by a great angel and at that time Issa/Jesus will return to earth for God' s chosen ones.

It is in the quran. Ask a sheikh whether Issa is coming again and he may show you where it is written.

Consider that Jesus was not born of man through sex unlike everbody else, he did the greates miracles by faith in the God who sent him(He even raised th dead back to life), and thatHe is alive today while all the other prophets died. Prophet Muhammad(pbuh) after finishing the work of Allah had to die like all humans . Only Issa is alive and will come in the last day.

The Quran also calls Issa," Ruh Allah". That is the spirit of God.
Do you see that there is something specila about Jesus. he preached forgiveness and love.

spidergoat said:
Well, Jesus died for his principles, and the Christian view that it was all for a noble purpose is an attempt to come to terms with their savior's death, not realizing that as a mortal human like the rest of us, he was trying to be an example, not a God.

I totally agree with at, and it's true that christians have deviated from the course that Abraham, Moses, ect...have been setting, and believe it or not without the political issues to set us apart, I believe that Islam doesn't deviate at all from the original judiac message.

I believe that Islam doesn't deviate at all from the original judiac message.
Perhaps, but I think jesus' teachings were intended to open up some new avenues of theology, emphasizing a more democratic, personal approach to relationship with the devine. "The kingdom of heaven is within" is very different from, "if you do the right things you will go to heaven after you are dead." Too bad people as so resistant to change.

According to the quran, was jesus born of a virgin?

What miracles did he perform?

Flores said:
Yes, I agree. As much as I would like to ignore this subject, it really disturbes my peace to see such a noble rightous man depicted in lies and abused and disfigured beyond belief with blood violence and other myth. It's just not fair.

Exactly !! The Bible itself degrade Jesus to someone who swear, kill and rip open pregnant women !!

MATTHEW 11:21-24 Jesus curses [the inhabitants of] three cities who were not sufficiently impressed with his great works.

EZEKIEL 9:4-6 The Lord commands: "... slay old men outright, young men and maidens, little children and women ...."

I really don't understand the mentality of the christians, specially the baptists. Us muslims are hot blooded and step up fast whenever we see abuse regardless of who or what is getting abused. I don't understand the cold calculated murder mentality that allows an innocent man to torture and die in the name of "HE DIED FOR THEM"....How utterly selfish....

Indeed, The bible even tells us he DID NOT want to die:

Matthew 26:39 "And going a little way forward, he (Jesus) fell upon his face, praying and saying 'My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass away from me. Yet, not as I will, but as you will.'

Matthew 26:42 "Again, for the second time, he (Jesus) went off and prayed, saying: 'My Father, if it is not possible for this to pass away except I drink it, let your will take place

The difference between muslims and christians is clear. Muslims are willing to die for their principals, while christians would rather kill their principals so they may have life.

WAOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, this is amazing statement, May I have your permission to use it in my debate ???

tomasito said:
Hallo proud Muslim. The Holy Quran says great things about Jesus. Thanx for truthfully presenting them.

One thing my friend I would ask you is check out the fact that the Quran says Jesus is coming back to earth at the last day when Allah shall resurrect those who believed and served th e only true God.
The trumpet call shall be sounded by a great angel and at that time Issa/Jesus will return to earth for God' s chosen ones.

Yes, we believe Jesus (pbuh) will come back, here is VERY BEAUTIFUL Muslim site about him:

http://www.jesuswillreturn.com

It is in the quran. Ask a sheikh whether Issa is coming again and he may show you where it is written.

I know that already.

Consider that Jesus was not born of man through sex unlike everbody else, he did the greates miracles by faith in the God who sent him(He even raised th dead back to life), and thatHe is alive today while all the other prophets died. Prophet Muhammad(pbuh) after finishing the work of Allah had to die like all humans . Only Issa is alive and will come in the last day.

Indeed, Allah Almighty said in the Quran EVERY SOUL SHALL DIE, the only one who did not die is JESUS, that is why he is coming back to spread peace and justice on earth and DIE natural death.

Do you see that there is something specila about Jesus. he preached forgiveness and love.

I have no doubt about that, Jesus (pbuh) is OUR beloved dignified prophet.

DoctorNO said:
According to the quran, was jesus born of a virgin?

Yes, according to the Noble Quran he was born of a virgin, in fact, the noble quran is the only holy book in the world that have a whole chapter named after MARIAM ( Mary ) the mother of Jesus (pbuh ).

http://www.ummah.net/what-is-islam/quran/noble/nobe019.htm

Surat Mariam 19:

16. And mention in the Book (the Qur'ân, O Muhammad SAW , the story of) Maryam (Mary), when she withdrew in seclusion from her family to a place facing east.

17. She placed a screen (to screen herself) from them; then We sent to her Our Ruh [angel Jibrael (Gabriel)], and he appeared before her in the form of a man in all respects.

18. She said: "Verily! I seek refuge with the Most Beneficent (Allâh) from you, if you do fear Allâh."

19. (The angel) said: "I am only a Messenger from your Lord, (to announce) to you the gift of a righteous son."

20. She said: "How can I have a son, when no man has touched me, nor am I unchaste?"

21. He said: "So (it will be), your Lord said: 'That is easy for Me (Allâh): And (We wish) to appoint him as a sign to mankind and a mercy from Us (Allâh), and it is a matter (already) decreed, (by Allâh).' "

22. So she conceived him, and she withdrew with him to a far place (i.e. Bethlehem valley about 4-6 miles from Jerusalem).

23. And the pains of childbirth drove her to the trunk of a date-palm. She said: "Would that I had died before this, and had been forgotten and out of sight!"

24. Then [the babe 'Isa (Jesus) or Jibrael (Gabriel)] cried unto her from below her, saying: "Grieve not! Your Lord has provided a water stream under you;

25. "And shake the trunk of date-palm towards you, it will let fall fresh ripe-dates upon you."

26. "So eat and drink and be glad, and if you see any human being, say: 'Verily! I have vowed a fast unto the Most Beneficent (Allâh) so I shall not speak to any human being this day.'"

27. Then she brought him (the baby) to her people, carrying him. They said: "O Mary! Indeed you have brought a thing Fariya (an unheard mighty thing).

28. "O sister (i.e. the like) of Hârûn (Aaron) [not the brother of Mûsa (Moses), but he was another pious man at the time of Maryam (Mary)]! Your father was not a man who used to commit adultery, nor your mother was an unchaste woman."

29. Then she pointed to him. They said: "How can we talk to one who is a child in the cradle?"

30. "He ['Isa (Jesus)] said: Verily! I am a slave of Allâh, He has given me the Scripture and made me a Prophet;"

31. "And He has made me blessed wheresoever I be, and has enjoined on me Salât (prayer), and Zakât, as long as I live."

32. "And dutiful to my mother, and made me not arrogant, unblest.

33. "And Salâm (peace) be upon me the day I was born, and the day I die, and the day I shall be raised alive!"

34. Such is 'Iesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary). (it is) a statement of truth, about which they doubt (or dispute).

What miracles did he perform?

Speaking to people while he was in cradle, raising the dead, curing diseases which is uncurable.

tomasito said:

Please bring the relevant Quranic verse. While Issa may come back to earth the Quran have never singled him out as a CHOSEN one. Please bring the verse that you would like to discuss and let's see what it really means.

tomasito said:

Who needs a Sheikh, I'll give you the verse below.

[4.157] And their saying: Surely we have killed the Messiah, Isa son of Marium, the apostle of Allah; and they did not kill him nor did they crucify him, but it appeared to them so (like Isa) and most surely those who differ therein are only in a doubt about it; they have no knowledge respecting it, but only follow a conjecture, and they killed him not for sure.
[4.158] Nay! Allah took him up to Himself; and Allah is Mighty, Wise.
[4.159] And there is not one of the followers of the Book but most certainly believes in this before his death, and on the day of resurrection he (Isa) shall be a witness against them.

The reason Isa is coming back is not to take glory away from god. Isa is coming back to act as a wittness AGAINEST the christians who have deviated so much from the truth. You see, the christians will not address god when they die, because they think that Jesus is god or intermediate and they'll only understand the truth when Jesus himself tell them that he is not what they think he is and that they have wasted their lives and made a grevious mistake to take him for god while he himself is a servant of god almight.

[4.171] O followers of the Book! do not exceed the limits in your religion, and do not speak (lies) against Allah, but (speak) the truth; the Messiah, Isa son of Marium is only an apostle of Allah and His Word which He communicated to Marium and a spirit from Him; believe therefore in Allah and His apostles, and say not, Three. Desist, it is better for you; Allah is only one God; far be It from His glory that He should have a son, whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth is His, and Allah is sufficient for a Protector.

Consider that Jesus was not born of man through sex unlike everbody else, he did the greates miracles by faith in the God who sent him(He even raised th dead back to life), and thatHe is alive today while all the other prophets died. Prophet Muhammad(pbuh) after finishing the work of Allah had to die like all humans . Only Issa is alive and will come in the last day.[/QUOTE]

Can you consider that Adam was not born from any man or a woman? Why can't you believe that god is capable of creating anything from nothing at all. God say it be and it is.

tomasito said:

We are all the spirit of God. Adam was created from mud and god breathed his soul into him. All souls come from god including Jesus's soul

Muslims don't believe Jesus was a real prophet.
you know why?
because depicting prophets is strictly forbidden in Islamic countries

however Passion of the Christ was shown in all Islamic countries except 1 (Bahrain)

Ahem!

Flores said:
I agree but on what authority should the quran be taken more seriously than the bible with respect to the suffering of christ? Eh?

You are defending a myth over a myth for all you know.

Flores said:
Us muslims are hot blooded and step up fast whenever we see abuse regardless of who or what is getting abused.
And did they step up fast when christians in Indonesia & Somalia were being slaughtered and forcefully converted? eh?

Did they step up fast when a muslim raped by another muslim was about to be stoned to death in africa?

Are they stepping up fast for mass oppression of women in saudi arabia, afghanistan & iran?

On the contrary they are too quick to step up in blaming jews for every woes of Islam. They even blamed 9/11 to the jews.

I understand that behavior perfectly.

DoctorNO said:
I agree but on what authority should the quran be taken more seriously than the bible with respect to the suffering of christ? Eh?

You are defending a myth over a myth for all you know.

No I'm not. I'm defending my principal. I have a strong principal about the self responsbility and I would accept that another human is tortured and die in my place because it disagree with my morals. It has nothing to do with the Quran....It's pure prinicipal and the morals that I stand for.

DoctorNO said:
And did they step up fast when christians in Indonesia & Somalia were being slaughtered and forcefully converted? eh?
Did they step up fast when a muslim raped by another muslim was about to be stoned to death in africa?
Are they stepping up fast for mass oppression of women in saudi arabia, afghanistan & iran?
On the contrary they are too quick to step up in blaming jews for every woes of Islam. They even blamed 9/11 to the jews.
I understand that behavior perfectly.

That's not my behavior DoctorNo. I step up againest all atrocities. I support people regardless of race, color, and religion. I understand that there are many others who are not fit to be part of the human race, but that have little to do with religion and much to do with their ill nature that would abuse any religion to serve their agendas.

otheadp said:
Muslims don't believe Jesus was a real prophet.
you know why?
because depicting prophets is strictly forbidden in Islamic countries

however Passion of the Christ was shown in all Islamic countries except 1 (Bahrain)

I applaud them for showing it.
I'm sure Saudi didn't show it, but I will be very proud of them for showing it. You may all think that arabic countries are automatically Islamic, but that's not true. There are very few states that have abused religion and mingled it with politlics. There are also a very large population of christians in many arabic countries.

Passion of the christ while a sick low grade movie, is just a movie....a depiction....an act.....an entertainment... We shouldn't give it more credit than that.

Flores said:

This is about jesus so what do you mean "principal?"

Last edited:
Flores said:
No I'm not. I'm defending my principal. I have a strong principal about the self responsbility and I would accept that another human is tortured and die in my place because it disagree with my morals. It has nothing to do with the Quran....It's pure prinicipal and the morals that I stand for.
oops sorry i misunderstood. yeah i agree on that very principle alone.

Flores said:
That's not my behavior DoctorNo. I step up againest all atrocities. I support people regardless of race, color, and religion. I understand that there are many others who are not fit to be part of the human race, but that have little to do with religion and much to do with their ill nature that would abuse any religion to serve their agendas.

then thats just you. and you are wrong in generalizing the muslims of U.S.A as having the same principal as you do.

are you a quran-only muslim?

Flores said:
I applaud them for showing it.
I'm sure Saudi didn't show it, but I will be very proud of them for showing it. You may all think that arabic countries are automatically Islamic, but that's not true. There are very few states that have abused religion and mingled it with politlics. There are also a very large population of christians in many arabic countries.

Passion of the christ while a sick low grade movie, is just a movie....a depiction....an act.....an entertainment... We shouldn't give it more credit than that.

Saudi did show it.
the reason? "it exposes the Jews and their prophet killing ways"
otherwise they ban all depictions.

ofcourse, the Muslims pat themselves on the back for taking a step forward towards propgress by allowing this to be shown.... do let's be honest here... this had nothing to do with liberalization of Islamic values.

the fact the movie sucks so much proves it even further

as for no mingling of religion and state, flores you gotta be kidding me
give me an example of non-Islamic arab countries except Syria and Lebanon

Back