What cats do when we're not looking

They need to sleep when you are around so they can be active when you are not around.

There may be some significant differences in how cats behave when humans are around, depending on whether they are indoor cats only, or whether they are indoor+outdoor cats.

Indoor+outdoor cats seem to have a lesser variety of indoor activities and skills than indoor cats. It's as if they come indoor mostly to eat, sleep and cuddle.

Our cats also bat their food out of their dish and eat it off the floor. What's up with that?
Play.

I have often seen this, but it really doesn't look like playing to me.
I have often seen what could be termed as "cat playing with its food" - which was much like a cat playing with a toy. But this looks quite different to the regular taking the food out of the bowl and carrying it somewhere else and eating it there.

It can be observed how a cat will carry a large chunk of food (such as a mouse, bird, piece of meat, or chunk of canned food) to some secluded place and eat it there, but not eat it from the bowl.

As for why they bat the dry food (but also canned food) out of the bowl: it seems to me they are trying to make it more bite-size that way and to avoid getting too messy while eating. We use spoons and forks to make food bite-size - ie. we somehow separate small portions from the heap on the plate. When a cat is taking the food out of the bowl, it achieves the same purpose - it separates it into small portions that the cat can readily eat without getting too messy around the mouth. (It is apparent by their scrupulous hygiene practices that cats do not like to be messy around the mouth, whiskers or paws, or anywhere for that matter.)

I didn't design the study but if I did I would certainly call that "hunting," which is a much different activity from eating out of a bowl. Domesticated cats exhibit a phenomenon called "neoteny," which is a regression to the psychology of kittenhood. We pick them up, feed them, and basically treat them like their mother would, so they regress and enjoy it. That's how you get a solitary hunting species to behave like a pack-social species and make friends with other cats and other animals.

Hunting is adult cat behavior. Eating food provided by momma is kitten behavior. Big difference.

Yup, I agree. And hunting should definitely be a category :)

I did, but I don't think cats are the same everywhere.

Mine are usually looking in from the outside, except when they come inside to sleep, they stay out.

I have often seen this, but it really doesn't look like playing to me.
I have often seen what could be termed as "cat playing with its food" - which was much like a cat playing with a toy. But this looks quite different to the regular taking the food out of the bowl and carrying it somewhere else and eating it there.
I was going with the verb 'bat'. Which has play connotations for me and it's what I remember with my cats.

It can be observed how a cat will carry a large chunk of food (such as a mouse, bird, piece of meat, or chunk of canned food) to some secluded place and eat it there, but not eat it from the bowl.
Oddly I've seen that more with dogs. I love that behavior because it feels so social - in its pointedly private nature. It may well have some other meaning to the cat or dog, but it comes off as very self-considerate.

wow, they play with their food a lot. Glad its dry and not canned food then.
thanks doreen!
I could be wrong and see Signal's point above. But when my cats did it, it looked to me like it made the food more like prey. The food was moving, they went and got it and they ate it. So the eating was more fun.

I can't have a cat, but the cat next door, Christian spends most of his time staring out the window waiting for people to walk by. When they do he runs outside and demands to be petted. Keeps him pretty busy for most of the day.

"What cats do when we're not looking "

Um, yeah, that question was keeping me awake at night.

Why? The whole point of this experiment was to find out what cats do when we're not watching. Have you observed your cat for hours through one-way glass???

Why would the cat sleep more if he cat knew I was around? 6% of a day is an hour twenty six minutes. I think the cats I knew were sleeping at least 3 hours a day and probably a lot more.

Put "cats" "sleep" "per day" in a Google search; Consensus seems to be that cats sleep more than 12 hours per day.

From: http://www.sleephomepages.org/sleepsyllabus/fr-b.html
EXAMPLES OF TOTAL DAILY SLEEP TIME IN MAMMALS
Mammal Total Daily Sleep Time (in hours)
Giraffe 1.9
Roe deer 3.09
Asiatic elephant 3.1
Pilot whale 5.3
Man 8.0
Baboon 9.4
Domestic cat 12.5
Laboratory rat raffe 13.0
Lion 13.5
Eastern chipmunk 15.8
Little brown bat 19.9

Why would the cat sleep more if he cat knew I was around? 6% of a day is an hour twenty six minutes. I think the cats I knew were sleeping at least 3 hours a day and probably a lot more.

Put "cats" "sleep" "per day" in a Google search; Consensus seems to be that cats sleep more than 12 hours per day.

From: http://www.sleephomepages.org/sleepsyllabus/fr-b.html
EXAMPLES OF TOTAL DAILY SLEEP TIME IN MAMMALS
Mammal Total Daily Sleep Time (in hours)
Giraffe 1.9
Roe deer 3.09
Asiatic elephant 3.1
Pilot whale 5.3
Man 8.0
Baboon 9.4
Domestic cat 12.5
Laboratory rat raffe 13.0
Lion 13.5
Eastern chipmunk 15.8
Little brown bat 19.9

From the OP: "while they were left alone indoors."

I can't have a cat, but the cat next door, Christian spends most of his time staring out the window waiting for people to walk by. When they do he runs outside and demands to be petted. Keeps him pretty busy for most of the day.

Christian. Interesting.
Does the cat deserve its name , or not?
Does your neighbour have any other pets?
Names please.

LOL, sounds like a reincarnated dog.

My cats stalk their toys. It's hysterical. I rarely catch them doing it.

This recent picture of my two cats seems to confirm, at least anecdotally, what Fraggle posts.

img1459a.jpg

~String

This thread seems to have slackened off, so I hope I can can ask you this off topic question.
What camera did you take that picture with?
Nice and sharp. Good Colour.
And a very nice composition, but I'll put that down to the photographer.

I need to upgrade my camera.
If the price is not too exotic, I'll buy one.

Just because something is a consensus doesn't mean it's correct. This was original research, using technology that wasn't available in the past, and when it became available it was too expensive for a pet food company to use in a study of housecats. I would trust this well-documented modern study over data inherited from an earlier era gathered by older methods.
Pilot whale 5.3
But you have to divide that number by 2.;) Cetaceans are the only fully aquatic mammals (except manatees). That means that breathing cannot be an autonomic function as it is in all other mammals, because they would start to breathe while they're a mile under water.

It's an especially big problem while they're sleeping. The solution was for each brain hemisphere to sleep separately so the other one is still awake to manage movement and control breathing.

I'll bet that feels weird! When the sleeping hemisphere wakes up I wonder if they keep both hemispheres awake for a while to catch up on what's been happening. If the other one were to fall asleep immedately, then when it wakes up they'll be out of synch by 5.3 hours.

"Oh yeah, while you were sleeping we had a war with the dolphins."

"Huh? While you were asleep we were playing games with the dolphins."

This thread seems to have slackened off, so I hope I can can ask you this off topic question.
What camera did you take that picture with?
Nice and sharp. Good Colour.
And a very nice composition, but I'll put that down to the photographer.

I need to upgrade my camera.
If the price is not too exotic, I'll buy one.

I swear by Canon's and Nikons.

My point-and-shoot (which I used to take the picture) is the PowerShot SD770 IS 10 megapixel. I bought it last year and I use it more than my two SLR's (well, it's a lot quicker and compact, so it's understandable why). The newest incarnation of my camera is the PowerShot SD1200 IS (from your usage of "ou" in "colour" I'm assuming your from the Commonwealth, so you'll no doubt need a site that services your region, but my link will help direct you). It's one of the best cameras I've ever owned, and I used to only use Olympus, but they just don't compare.

My SLR's are an aging Nikon N100 and a new-ish D90. I love the D90 but use it surprisingly less than the Canon.

~String

Last edited:
Back