Western Atheism shaped by Christianity

I am not dismissing anything. I only stated that there is a phenomenological difference between a godly entity and a pink elephant.

So.. much like there is a phenomenal difference between a 'leprechaun', (that I mentioned), and a 'pink elephant' that you changed it to for some strange little reason. Why did you do that? And then you have the audacity to to say you're not dismissing anything? I was talking about one very specific being, (a leprechaun), and you decided to brush it aside for something as baseless as a pink elephant.

So, getting back to the actual issue, you said define god, to which I said define a leprechaun. I then went on to add that definitions of such entities will vary from person to person. This is mainly due to none of them actually existing except in the minds of deluded individuals. What I was getting at, is that a definition of god can vary wherever you go. Thus far I haven't believed in one definition presented.

However, tell me what this phenomenal difference between god and a leprechaun is when related to whether either exists. In literature they both look different and do different things. That in no way means one has more credibility of existence than the other.

Your only prior explanation was that you don't "depend" upon one whereas to your mind you "depend" upon the other. Admittedly you did say "we", but you most certainly couldn't have been referring to me, because I don't depend on god.

I suppose one good thing however, is that you're eventually coming to see it from my perspective. You see, to me god is nothing more than a 'pink elephant'. You might say from personal opinion that god is phenomenally different, but to me it isn't at all - just like you see a leprechaun.

Don't put words into my mouth.

I didn't.

And you are assuming to have the absolute standard to measure sanity.

You certainly like using the term "absolute standard", and while it serves as a convenient 'patsy', it's not much for debating purposes. In debates a lot will be personal opinion/thought and feelings. For instance, Later on in your post you say:

"If it blinds, then it isn't love -- it is only an infatuation."

To which I could take your 'escape-response' and say "and you are assuming to have the absolute standard to measure love".

It just kills off any point in discussion right there, because not only can it be said for every single sentence anyone ever says, (and you've most certainly tried to prove that), but it shows you're not interested in discussion or debate, but just running for the hills. Being as thats the case, why waste my time, or yours?

So to summarize thus far...

Firstly you dismissed my leprechaun in favour of a funny coloured, 4 legged, tree eater even though there's a phenomenal difference and then decided to ignore any debate in preference of a barrage of "absolute standard" quotes. By that token you can't even claim to be human, after all there is no "absolute standard" with which to measure humanity.

I hope you are listening to yourself.

I would, but there is no absolute standard to measure listening to oneself. :rolleyes:

This could get really boring, really quickly - not that there's any absolute standard with which to measure boredom.

"You can't dismiss, or accept the existence of oxygen or proteins because of your specific "needs" in life." -- now this is ... a non-scientific thing to say.

Completely unrelated. I find it hysterical how the religious mind will try to justify existence of the non-existant by using the scientific. If you think these two 'examples' are even remotely connected, you're a nitwit.

That is rather simplistic. If you say that we depend on the Sun, and only that, then you have a lot to answer for, esp. the Big Bang and such.

Is the big bang around right now? I don't think so, and as such we do not depend on it for our ongoing existence. Our existence as a whole would have "depended" upon a big bang, but right now we "depend" on the sun. It isn't the *only* thing we depend upon - but it is certainly at the top of the ladder.

No God is telling you to worship him just for worship's sake, or to sacrifice for sacrifice's sake.
If you don't want to, you don't have to, that's all.

It depends on 'bible versions'. The OT was certainly full of demands whereas the NT seems a little more lenient as far as sacrifice goes. Perhaps we could do with an NNT, (new new testament), just to be certain.

There was even a time when the sun demanded sacrifice. That's not to say it actually did, but you try telling the believers that.

In scriputres, Gods sometimes promise things, and they also say what they want from you to do so that they will fulfill their promise. If you want what they promise, you have to do as they say.

Kiss Hank's ass is of relevance here.

Humans cannot but anthropomorphize. We cannot put it against ourselves that we anthropomorphize.

That's what I said, which is why you have god.

If those entities would not be existent in some way, we could not be talking about them. Vampires do exist in literature, for example. Ms Marple exists in literature.

And god exists in literature.

We cannot tear things out of their contexts and treat them as if they are absolute entities.

Absolutely. So tell me, why are you not paying any attention to your own statement?

Apparently, we do need it, or we wouldn't be doing it.

Make up your mind. At the beginning of this post you were telling me not to put words in your mouth when saying it's what people "need", and now you're telling me it's what people need.

Further to which, My entire quote says it's what we need, so what are you debating against exactly? I used the word 'need' three times, if you didn't notice. Perhaps you should only respond to posts when you're awake. Just a suggestion.

This is a grim outlook on life that you have.

Oh, did an invisible "me" pop in there somewhere? Were you going to debate the point, concur with the point or just continue with your habitual stupidity?

Seriously, a debate can not work in this manner. If you have something to debate, debate it - but thus far you've done very little except A) try and run from the point, B) Disagree with the point, but then agree with it later, or C) Think somehow bringing my personal life into the subject means you can completely evade the actual post.

So you are waiting for others to do a work that only you can do for yourself?

Not at all, but humans work better in numbers - just like wolves. However, I can't go running round like a madman every single time someone shouts; "fairy/loch ness monster/god". All I ask is that the person who makes the claim, gives something of worth that would give me a starting point. All the religious person can muster is "just have faith" - which is completely meaningless. It's like me saying to you "just have faith in the giant green octopus of planet thwobble plop". Tell me, why don't you - even if I tell you to?

No. You did not read what I said:

Yes I did.

Such a principle is indeed conceivable and should be taken into consideration

No it isn't. To you it might be, but, (and I hate to say it), you have no absolute standard with which to measure what is or is not conceivable - so why are you trying to shove it upon me? Much like the abominable snowman might not be conceivable to you, god is not conceivable to me. Got it?

Now, although the quote you used didn't specifically apply to anything with sentience, I have already tried several times to give you a definition and even a dictionary definition of what 'god' supposedly is, and that is the topic at hand.

No. You're putting words into my mouth again. If you think that believing in God is because one feels unworthy, then you have missed the point of faith and worship altogether.

You need to learn what figure of speech is. Next I suppose you'll be having a go at me for saying "you've drawn a face on the sun", and argue that nobody has a pencil that large, nor can survive the heat.

This is an abuse of religion.

Of course it is, it's only ever not an abuse of religion, when it happens to be the exact methods you follow. Don't think this is unique to you, every religious person on the planet does it.

For these people, God is just the target of their depression, loneliness and misery; a compensation and a rationalization, a way to trick oneself into persisting in a miserable situation as it takes courage to break out of it. Such "faith" never bears the fruits it hopes for.

I know a large number that would disagree with you. But of course, you're right - they're wrong. Yeah, that figures.

The brain didn't put itself there where it is.

What do you mean?

If it blinds, then it isn't love -- it is only an infatuation.

And you're assuming to have the absolute standard with which to measure love.

Oh my. What dreadful misery you must have lived in. I don't mean to pity you or patronize you, but your thoughts are on the whole completely self-sabotaging.
Nobody is saying that you need alines to exist! Where did you hear that?! And why did you believe it?!

As I said earlier, you really should be awake first if you intend on making posts. Kindly note the word "If"

Save your pity and patronization for when your brain is actually turned on.

So you too need to see a human-like God in order to believe in Him?

Where did I say 'human-like'? What was it you were saying about putting words into ones mouth? Personally I think it would be far more impressive if he came down as something not human-like... say a talking banana or something.

The way you put it is as if there is such a thing as absolute knowledge.

No, the way I put it is exactly how it's written. Someone comes up to you and says "Hey, do you know Bob who works in accounting?" You'd say; "Yes, I know Bob".

We're not talking absolute knowledge, merely pointing out that when you know something is there, you never use the words "believe" or "faith".

Let's say there were 5 Bob's in accounting, you might say "I believe I know Bob from accounting", and then go on to ask if he means the Bob with glasses and a bald head.

To be honest, it's about time you trash your entire "absolute" statements. They don't suit you at all, but just make you look daft.

People who are know of somethings existence, don't use the word "believe". Period.

You are thereby saying that
{statistic evidence}+{certain analysis of this evidence}+{agreement of a certain community}={truth}

No I'm not thereby saying anything. I asked you a question. Here it is again:

How many people do you know that walk round saying "I believe in gravity"?

Kindly leave out your worthless little equations and answer the bloody question. Thanks.

Because I don't think I have fallen from the Moon, quite literally. I have no choice but to take on *some* of the history of mankind as I get it presented. One cannot and does not live in a vacuum; one is born into a society and takes on certain things, be they good or bad.

Sure, as long as you recognise it as "history".

Back then, the knowledge they had was most feasible, and now, the knowledge we have is most feasible.

Yeah, and in 1000 years the knowledge they have would be most feasible. Either way you cut it though, the people several millennia ago were knowledgeless nitwits.

We cannot discard our present because the future may be smarter than us. And we cannot discard the past just because we think they were more stupid than we.

Is English your first language? You might notice that I never said anything about discarding. With regards to the ancient times - I said put it in a museum, which is all about "preservation", and nothing whatsoever to do with discarding.

Yes. But we *live* *here* and *now* and we have to do the best we have *right here* *right now*.

Yeah, so why you believing the rantings of ancient shepherds? For interest I have no issues, I read ancient stuff all the time, including the bible - but is when you start thinking that is reality, that the problem arrives.

What?! Those who are taking the Bible or the Quran or the Talmud as "scientific" are not acting scientifically. The same as those are being unscientific, who accuse just any religious person to think his scriptures "scientific".

It depends. There are those, (creationists), who view creation as literal- even so far as to claim the world is a mere 7000 or so years old. While it clearly is not science, it's their personal little version of science. They will reject actual science which shouts evolution, in preference of their own 'science' which they claim shows something completely different. If the bible is not a science book, these people should not be trying to argue science by using the bible. They should not argue evolution, the age of the planet or cosmos - or anything 'scientific' by using a book that is clearly not scientific.

No offence, but from what I've read so far, I dare say that I know more of the scientific method than you do.

You have yet to provide so much as one example of that being the case. As such, your claim is inherently worthless, and without worth in this discussion.

That is an unsubstantiated claim. How can you scientifically prove that those people of old "didn't have a clue"?

I don't have to scientifically prove it, it was your statement, I merely copied it - and posed it back to you as a question

Are you purposely being stupid?

I say one thing and you shout "absolutes", "scientific proof", and so on... even when I've only copied your statements for the sake of discussion.

This isn't a review board, it's a debate. Of course, I could just do things your way, and the very next time you use the word god I can demand scientific proof and absolutes.

No. You are breaking up the definition and taking things out of context!

No, you're being a raving bloody imbecile.

You asked me for a "definition of god". You didn't ask me for a definition of worshippers, and as such the part where it says who this dood is worshipped by, is completely irrelevant.

Look, lets chop this up into bite sized chunks, I fear anything larger will give you a hernia.

A) You said: "How do you define god?"

B) I decided to give you the dicitionary definition in full which states:

"A being conceived as the perfect, omnipotent, omniscient originator and ruler of the universe, the principal object of faith and worship in monotheistic religions."

C) Now let's look at the sentence. The first section says "a perfect, omnipotent, omniscient originator and ruler of the universe"

D) That would be a working definition of what god is.

E) The next part, which you seem fixated on, says that this definition of god is worshipped in monotheistic religions.

F) E is irrelevant, because it does not define god, merely who happens to worship it.

G) In the matter of defining god, "perfect, omnipotent, omniscient originator and ruler of the universe", is the part you should be paying attention to.

H) As the question was asked to me, I can define god anyway I deem fit, otherwise you shouldn't have bloody asked. I decided for ease, that the dictionary definition of "omnipotent, omniscient, perfect, and ruler" was a suitable definition for a being that I don't believe in.

I) That particular definition of god, I don't believe in. I couldn't give a rats piss who worships that definition of god, but that was one example of a god definition I don't personally believe.

J) Damn you're an idiot. No offence.

That is, outside of a monotheistic religion, this definition does not apply. Yet you want it to apply no matter what. -- This is completely unscientific of you.

Are you a gibbering simpleton? So you're saying I can't define god as omnipotent, omniscient and perfect unless I happen to be part of a monotheistic religion? Get real wouldya.

Is there a common standard both parties have agreed upon?
No. Yet you are doing as if there were one.

And yet more of this nonsense. If you said "There's a leprechaun in my garden", I'd say "show me evidence/proof". We wouldn't sit down over dinner and agree to "common standards". If you make a claim, expect it to be questioned. That's all there is to it, agreement or otherwise.

I can see you've picked these little phrases up somewhere around the internet, and are as keen to use them as a child with a new toy. The only problem is you're using them where they don't belong.

I wouldn't say anything!

That's a good thing, but very unlikely. Here we are having a simple discussion and you're reeling off "absolutes", "scientific proof" and so on as if the world's about to end. I can only imagine you if someone said they'd just seen a leprechaun.

So without theists, there can also be no atheists?

What are you suggesting? That atheists existed first, (not believing in something that hadn't even been mentioned), and then a theist turned up saying god existed, and the atheist said "ah, thats what it was I didn't believe in"?

If there were no theists, everyone would techincally be atheists, but nobody would be called atheists because there wouldn't be anything theistic to not believe in.

The definition has a *qualifier* "by a people" -- "A being of supernatural powers or attributes, believed in and worshiped by a people, especially a male deity thought to control some part of nature or reality."

I already went through this earlier, and if you didn't manage to grasp that, then you're a lost cause. No, I dont have an absolute standard with which to measure a lost cause.

Now, as earlier, take the "a being of supernatural powers". It's irrelevant who worships it, you asked me to define the being, not it's followers.

Further to which, it was about my lack of belief in a god being, to which you asked me to give a definition. It would be simple enough for me to now say "The definition of god I don't believe in is that as worshipped by monotheistic religions and 'a people'".

If you are not one of these people, this definition of God bears no meaning for you.

Eh? So if I'm an unbeliever I can't unbelieve the definition of a being I don't believe in that you asked me to define?

The whole point was that that definition of god has no meaning for me. It is as fictional as the vengeful rice krispie from outer space.

You really do get off on being silly. I said I don't believe in a god, at which point you said I can't unbelieve something that I have no definition for, at which stage I gave you a definition of god that I don't believe in, at which point you then tell me I can't use that definition because I don't believe in it.

Lol, what a turnip.

Unless you, once more, assume an absolute standard.

Oh, go away.

What I do understand is that you are assuming that there is an absolute standard, and that you are supposedly applying it.

I swear, you use that phrase one more time I'm going to enter you into the Guiness Book of Stupidity.

Don't put words into my mouth. Just because my belief isn't verbalizable they way you want it to be this doesn't mean that I have no belief.

So you have belief in something that you can't define, but then demand that I can't not believe something that I have no definition for, but then when I do give a definition you argue that I can't use that definition because I don't believe in it.

I know, I've said the same thing twice now. It was just so supremely idiotic, it deserved another mention.

There you go! Once you say "people can believe whatever they want to" this goes for you and for everyone else.

And people can disbelieve whatever they want. But if someone makes a claim to the existence of something, it is still open to questioning. That's the way it goes, and if you don't like it, sue me. What are you trying to debate against? I never said you couldn't believe in something, but I never said I wouldn't question it either.

If you don't like it -- leave it! Why bother with them?! Who or what are they to you that you would have to believe them? You have said yourself "people can believe whatever they want to".

Why "leave it!"? I can do as I please, and in the event that someone makes a claim to the existence of something, I like to question it and debate it. That's the way it goes.

This is screwed. People are fighting because they have different, often clashing values and preferences. Simply blaming "faith" for the fighting is a cheap copout.

Yes, they do have clashes.. which are usually based around some sort of 'faith' Bush had faith that they had womd.. it turned out fruitless, but didn't stop a bunch of people getting bombed. I wont even bring up the faith aspect of sept 11 or any other all out rampage.

But then *you* shouldn't be saying "people can believe whatever they want to" either!

Well in context to this particular section of my post, I said don't force it upon others. Having a belief is one thing, forcing it upon others is completely different. Further to which, once a belief turns into a claim you must understand and expect that it will be dissected, questioned and debated. Don't make the claim if you don't want that, because it will happen whether you want it to or not.

No no no no no. If I have a crush on someone, make the fist step, see that they don't want me, I step back, I don't just persist trying to make them love me.

That's very nice for you... Alas, you're not the absolute standard of crushes. :bugeye:

Last edited:
SnakeLord said:
Perhaps you should only respond to posts when you're awake. Just a suggestion.
/.../
Oh, did an invisible "me" pop in there somewhere? Were you going to debate the point, concur with the point or just continue with your habitual stupidity?
/.../
As I said earlier, you really should be awake first if you intend on making posts. Kindly note the word "If"

Save your pity and patronization for when your brain is actually turned on.
/.../
To be honest, it's about time you trash your entire "absolute" statements. They don't suit you at all, but just make you look daft.
/.../
Are you purposely being stupid?
/.../
No, you're being a raving bloody imbecile.
/.../
Look, lets chop this up into bite sized chunks, I fear anything larger will give you a hernia.
/.../
J) Damn you're an idiot. No offence.
/.../
Are you a gibbering simpleton?
/.../
I already went through this earlier, and if you didn't manage to grasp that, then you're a lost cause.
/.../
You really do get off on being silly.
/.../
Lol, what a turnip.
/.../
Oh, go away.
/.../
I swear, you use that phrase one more time I'm going to enter you into the Guiness Book of Stupidity.

Get yourself some manners.
Good-bye.

Get yourself some manners.

I would, but there's no absolute standard by which to measure rudeness. Why are you assuming there is?

Ironic as it is, it's actually accurate. I realise that I type in a manner that some find harsh, or insulting.. That is my nature as given to me by god. However, we see lack of manners in different ways depending upon culture, upbringing and so forth.

It's like when you go to a japanese persons house, they would consider you mannerless if you didn't take your shoes off.

Some countries even expect people to burp after eating as a show of manners.

Most European countries have no idea what "Please" means.

So at the end of it all, we get to use your favourite statement against you. That is amusing.

P.S It is somewhat upsetting however, that I spent all that time typing for no reason. I will admit I am far from perfect, but I think it was some famous guy.. uhh.. Jesus who said that you should forgive and love thy neighbour regardless. Something about slapping cheeks and whatnot. Still, it was nice of you to point out the speck of dust in my eye, or more to the point - see yourself as innocent that you can throw the stone at me.. I suggest you read the bible, Jesus says some very interesting things.

Last edited:
And off we see R.M. when she has been philosphycally defeated!!.

The onus of the argument of morality is the assumption that moralistic principles arrived from dogmatic religious rhetoric. Sure I would be lying not to credit some theistic principles as moral, however they don't hold the (absolute standard) of morality.

Morals are a part of our nature, we are a socialistic species, morals developed through the ages for survival, of our species, however morals are different from one culture to another, from one time of history to another modern time of history. For instance it's not moral today to have a 11 year old little girl as a wife, but it was back then, and it is still moral today in other societies. So morality is a based on the interpretation of a society at any given time these morals change, have and will.

Godless.

SnakeLord

Which is actually based upon the jewish understanding of god. The christian god, (we're not talking jesus here who is clearly seen and debated about as a separate entity), is the jewish god.

So we could then say that western atheism was shaped by the jews..

But then.. the jewish god is based upon earlier Sumerian gods.

So we could then say that western atheism was shaped by the Sumerians.

Whatever god you debate about, it's still fictional.

You can suggest that the Christian God is based on the Jewish God, yes. You can hypothesize the Jewish Gods were based on earlier Sumerian Gods, but that is subjective to a myriad of circumstantial “evidences”. That some stories in the old testament bears some resemblance to the mythology of the earlier civilizations in the fertile crescent is no direct indication that the notion of one God as the Jews defined it came from the Sumerians. There have been have been links to Akhnaten as the founder of Jewish monotheism, Baalists, etc.

Also, of what importance to the general perception of God are the roots of the word? Western civilization can be traced back along the very same lines you attempted to trace the meaning of God. It however remains that although, this civilization owns a lot to those that came before, it is a completely different civilization with its own distinct way of thinking, morality, etc. The further back you go so to speak, the weaker the link becomes. And that is precisely the point: what is the impact of Christianity, which has for the past millennia and more, been by far the most influential and significant ideology in the shaping of western thought?

We could say that everything shapes everything, as invariably all things be traced back to everything, providing we have some ingenuity. The question is not whether or not God is fictional; I am drastically uninterested in that debate. The question is, what is the importance of Christianity in shaping the imaging of God within this society? What is the importance of the Christian doctrine in shaping western morality and viewpoint? What is the importance and influence of Christianity in shaping the western atheist worldview? I am suggesting that the influence is great because by virtue of being part of civilization that has been dominated by the Christian doctrine the atheist pretty much shares the Christian worldview, regardless of the fact that he does not share in the belief of the Christian God. He cannot escape it.

I would say it was shaped by the individuals brain and the progression of science. In a time when people needed answers - but couldn't find any, god was a suitable excuse. Look at the ten plagues for example. A tragedy occurs and god is the only conceivable answer. But then, as science has progressed mankind has had the ability to look at truth vs wishes. For example look at the bubonic plague. It required no sinners, no angel raping, no killing of a particular races children. All it took was germs. So much for god, he's out the window and long forgotten as far as reality is concerned. All that's left are a bunch of lonely souls practicing closet worship.
But what you have described is what led people to question the belief in the being—God itself, not the surrounding religious values that have become entrenched in society—become a part of society’s basis. For example, what is the rational basis for a belief/acceptance in/of the notion that all men are created equal? It is not a rational belief; it is rather, a religious belief that has been accepted by the society. Or the example I gave earlier about the value of humility over pride. The fact is, after millennia and more of Christian religious indoctrination, the general societal viewpoint is Christian. I also think it careless and irrational to label practicing Christians as “lonely souls”. Besides, why is an atheist using the word soul? That in itself ought to make you understand the influence of Christianity on the culture. The fact is, atheists don’t ascribe to the belief in a Christian God, yet they are shaped by the Christian worldview.

Sure, a christian would love to pretend it's "his kind" that have taught the rest of us morality, but even frogs have morality in the context that christians perceive it. Frogs don't just go around slaughtering other frogs, or do anything that is out of the ordinary for their nature.
This is nonsensical. You think it is natural for us human beings to value the life of another human being? To think it is natural to be monogamous? These are not instincts; there are rationalizations that attempt to suppress our more fundamental aims and emotions, which is why we have laws. Human morality has moved beyond simple instinctual behaviours and patterns. And by the way, the blue poison frog is cannibalistic when young.

We are one of those kinds of species that works better as a group. Sure, there will be moments of violence etc, just like with a pack of wolves. They're a unified group, but occasionally they'll attack each other.
That is true, we are a social species. However group dynamics are not deterministic or predictable as the group increases. Also, over time the group develops certain norms, values, and morals beyond the instinctual, in response to conditions.

It requires no gods, bibles or christians for humans to be human, anymore than it requires a giant invisible frog to teach a frog how to be a frog.
Who here is advocating the notion that it requires gods to teach humans how to be humans? In ascribing to the belief that gods or a God are nonsexist, which I actually do believe, the fact of the matter is that man developed religion to aid in his understanding of the world. And in inventing religion, he invariable created a medium that allowed him to reach conclusions or values and morals that differ accordingly with the religion he so chose. The Christian worldview is for example different from the Buddhist worldview. This society was under the direct and unchallenged influence of the Christian religion for millennia. It has been shaped by it; it views the world from the Christian viewpoint even if individuals within said society that may not ascribe to the governing belief of said religion that a supreme God exists.

Aside from the occasional "fucking hell", "god damnit", and "jesus fucking christ" - I see very little christian impact - especially to atheism.
Look harder

We merely exist because others say there's this invisible sky guy that nobody can see, and we do not concur. We're here because science provides reality whereas religion provides nothing except an invisible shoulder to cry on.
This is what shapes atheism.. the arrival of a better answer.
I don’t give a fuck for your explanation as to what viewpoint is best.

unlikely. The Sumerians are the first known writing race of people, and most definitely the early parts of the OT stem from their stories..

As we've spoken about before, it looks very much as if Moses is based upon the story of Sargon which would be in keeping as man moved further inland.

If you look at a map, you'll see Sumeria at the bottom of Iraq. As you then move north you come to Babylon, Akkadia, and so on.

Undoubtedly the stories would travel with the travellers. In the OT not only does it put the garden of eden in Sumeria, but we also see that Abraham was Sumerian. As he moved north he would have taken stories he heard with him and spread them among different cultures.

I suppose however, that the Egyptians certainly would have had some impact if the jews were in slavery for an extended period of time. - but it's certainly harder to see nowadays. For instance, some of the Israeli months are named after Sumerian gods, (tammuz etc), showing how long a cultures influence lasts. There seems to be very little egyptian influence within jewish traditions, and pretty much the only time they're mentioned are as enemies.
You clearly need a history lesson. Start a thread on the origins of Judaism and we shall discuss.

RosaMagika said:
And this is why a society cannot be *organized* by atheists, as they insist on a relativity of morals. Consequent moral relativism excludes the existence of any jurisdictive institutions, and thus we cannot organize a society by these rules.

Atheism is possible only in a world where no crime happens.
I don't think this is true. The consequent of moral relativism is not the exclusion of “jurisdictive institutions”. In fact, practical law cannot ascribe to the notion of an absolute set of morals, and this will actually lead to the suppression of individual rights. Law and morality are separate. The correct law simply ought to look at how best to maximize group corporation, for instance, or how best to ensure group survival, etc. It cannot look at this from the viewpoint of moral absolutism but rather from individual justice, and balance it with the survival of society. It is by this that religion and law for instance ought to be separated. In response to your assertion that atheism is possible in a world where no crime exists, I disagree. In fact, I think crime can induce atheism. In fact I think that a highly criminal society would most likely do away with gods.

I am always baffled at the answer an atheist gives when asked to define the God he lacks belief in. They usually don't have a definition of God, so it perplexes me how one can positively state that one lacks belief in something that he cannot define anyway, yet at the same time claims how theists are wrong in their belief.
Also, does anyone know of atheists in India who define themselves as lacking belief in Hindu gods?
Or has anyone heard of Greek atheists in ancient Greece who lacked belief in Zeus and other gods?
Somehow, it seems that there aren't any, really. Or they are quiet. I wonder why.
Yes, there were atheists in ancient Greece who denied belief in Zeus and co... To be an atheist simply means to not accept the belief in a God or gods. You simply say they are nonexistent. This does not require being able to define the God, as your argument is that the definition in itself is flawed. So you are challenging the definition and not what is defined. That is to say, I for example label a being gerettth, and ascribe to this being the ability to turn fire into water. The challenger or atheist would suggest it is impossible for
a being to turn fire into water and therefore your being is an imagination. You are suggesting that the atheist ought to understand gerettth before he can deny it. I don’t think that is reasonable. My original intent in the statement to which you replied is that the atheist’s conception of the very God to which he claims to not accept requires the definition supplied by the atheist. This implies that his way of thought is reactionary, that is, the theist shapes his way of thought.

The ongoing fighting is signifying that something else is the reason for these fights.

I think it is just the good old *hate* that is at work, yet few have the guts to call it by its name. So they make up rationalizations and intellectualizations of why Christianity is wrong and illogical and irrational and whatnot.
Clearly this is untrue. I find that those who disbelieve in the Christian doctrine actually have logical reasons to back their lack of a belief. They share the same passion that Christians had in attempting to spread their religion because one, it is inherited from the Christian, and two it is a defensive posture in that society as a whole does not accept his belief and therefore he is normally on the defensive. It is also a way to self-justification.

The real reason for not believing in the Christian God is simply that one hates God or Christianity or the history of that religion. Or that one has a deep personal resentment against it, often stemming from being abused by people who have called themselves Christians.
Come on, you cannot really believe this. The Christian God is to me a fantastical realization; I do not believe in it. My decision to not accept said belief is simply that it seems illogical and irrational. Moreover, I have not seen any evidence in support of the belief in a Christian God. The difference between most Atheists and I is that I can actually understand why some rational people would ascribe to the Christian belief system, and I shall make no attempts to change their beliefs.

There really are *no rational* arguments against a religion.
Against a religion in that religions ought not exist or against specific beliefs as espoused by a given religion? If it is the latter, you are incorrect. The former can be argued both ways.

The same as there are *no rational* arguments why apples are better than oranges, the same there are *no rational* arguments why Christianity is worse than atheism or vice versa.
Of course, because at the level in which you describe, the argument becomes value-based. However, the debate is most often not about the “better” ideology as it is about the truthful ideology.

Atheism as such is morally bankrupt.
And in its premises it is just as absolutistic as any religion or belief system.
You are wrong in your conceptualization of Atheism. Atheism is simply an ideology that all gods are false. It is not an institution. It is much like saying that you adhere to the philosophy that all men are created equal. Atheists therefore are left to the influence of the institutions of religion and others within a society to shape the moral viewpoint, for instance.

Godless said:
And off we see R.M. when she has been philosphycally defeated!!.

The onus of the argument of morality is the assumption that moralistic principles arrived from dogmatic religious rhetoric. Sure I would be lying not to credit some theistic principles as moral, however they don't hold the (absolute standard) of morality.

Morals are a part of our nature, we are a socialistic species, morals developed through the ages for survival, of our species, however morals are different from one culture to another, from one time of history to another modern time of history. For instance it's not moral today to have a 11 year old little girl as a wife, but it was back then, and it is still moral today in other societies. So morality is a based on the interpretation of a society at any given time these morals change, have and will.

Godless.
That is my point: society and its institutions, predominantly religion, shape morality. Societies have different morals if their cultures differ, but in societies that shared religions, over time the moral differences diminished and became alike. Look at western europe and the impact of Christianity or eatern asia and the impact of buddism? This is a Christian culture; its morals are shaped by the christian belief system and therefore an atheist by virture of being part of this society shares therefore in the morals of this society.

You can suggest that the Christian God is based on the Jewish God, yes.

Yes I can. In the context of your statement over how much influence christianity has to western morals etc, it's a point that needs to be made. The main reason being, that aside from some parables that very few even know exist, the NT has very little to offer in the way of morals. You'll find what is generally told to religious youngsters, and considered as the moral lessons, would be from the OT. The ten commandments are a very important part of this with all the key guidelines to moral behaviour:

Thous shalt not kill, steal etc...

This would then be a jewish influence on western society, no?

Just because the christians adopted it as their own, doesn't imply that they have copyright to it. Thus we could happily state that our moral behaviour is thanks to the jews.

Further to which, these people had to think up things that they thought were moral. We also have that ability. Our morality need not be shaped by bibles, or religious groups in our society but simply by our own inbuilt natures.

Whether they're there or not, doesn't mean we would be any different, morally speaking, without them.

It works from a personal standpoint, such as:

My mother taught me what was right and wrong. Her mother taught her and so on back through time. So, once upon a time there was a woman who felt like being moral and taught it to her kids, which has continued as a tradition until now.

Saying "christianity" kind of lumps the whole load together - be them good, bad, smart, stupid, self righteous, and so on - and gives them credit for modern day good behaviour.

Further to which, "christianity" is such a loose word. Technically it's pretty meaningless given the question because you cannot assume that to mean the people, or their practices - because that is a completely individual thing. It can't really apply to the bible either, because not only is it not owned by 'christianity', but quite frankly it has more nasty shit than decent moral behaviour. So what exactly is christianity?

You can hypothesize the Jewish Gods were based on earlier Sumerian Gods, but that is subjective to a myriad of circumstantial “evidences”.

It's slightly more complex than that, but we'll save the discussion for another thread.

It however remains that although, this civilization owns a lot to those that came before, it is a completely different civilization with its own distinct way of thinking, morality, etc.

Does that not answer your own question? You asked how much christianity has shaped the western thought etc, but now say that although we owe a lot to those that came before, we're completely different?

'Christianity' is what, getting closer to 2000 years old? Although we owe them a lot, we are a completely different civilisation. There are those who want to cling to the past, and there are those that don't. We are not instructed or guided by them, but by our societies laws - which sure, may be similar to the laws of biblical time, or the laws of Hammurabi - but need not require their existence to be made.

When someone gets killed, we all cringe, (generally), and that does not require religious influence. It is nature, not religious doctrine that governs morals.

what is the impact of Christianity, which has for the past millennia and more, been by far the most influential and significant ideology in the shaping of western thought?

Although it burns my stomach to sound like Rose Magika, I would ask you to define what you mean by "christianity". As you've pointed out, we're talking well over a millennia, through a whole load of changes. Look at the times where they were happily burning "witches", and anyone who thought differently to them.. Do we do it now? Have atheists been influenced by that part of christianity? Is that part of our ideology?

There are of course "remains" scattered about the place to support christianity.. These range from schools having the name of a saint to people wearing crosses even if they're not religious - but are generally so inconsequential and minor, that the impact seems to certainly be minimal. They even get a 30 minute slot on TV every sunday.

Other examples are like the ones I listed earlier, such as: "oh my god", "jesus christ" - and other verbal comments we might make on occasion. However, words are like that - and in general things of that nature do carry far.

For instance you could look at the majority of superstitions, from saying "good morning" to magpies, to covering your mouth when you yawn.

A lot of them are 'christian' trends that have carried across, but many are not. As an example: In England we call a cooker, a hob. You might recognise that 3 letter word - it often applies to a small green dude called the hobgoblin. The reason we call a cooker, a hob is because hob was funnily enough a goblin, who used to protect the hearth, (fireplace).

There will always be an impact from the strangest things - hell, even what kind of clothes are in fashion this season - but it's impossible to label something like "christianity" and claim it's responsible for anything - because it's so vast and yet loose a word, that it doesn't really mean anything.

The question is, what is the importance of Christianity in shaping the imaging of God within this society?

Typically, a christian would say one cannot define god, any further than to say he's the overall head honcho, he's omnipotent, omnisicent etc. (You can see the dictionary definition on my post to Rose).

However, you cannot say there's any importance of christianity on imaging god in this society, because an atheist does not believe in god. As such we argue their definition. I'm sure an Indian atheist would argue against a god with an elephant head, but there's little need here unless an atheist happens to be debating against someone who believes in an elephant headed god - in which case, you could then say that definition is being imaged in society.

What is the importance of the Christian doctrine in shaping western morality and viewpoint?

Most haven't even read it, and those who go somewhere to listen to it are generally christian, and its apparent to state that christianity has influenced christians.. but has no bearing on anyone else. I personally can't think of one atheist who's read the bible and said "Well, I don't believe in this god being - but hey, it says "thou shalt not kill". I wont kill anyone now". There were morality and viewpoints before christian doctrine, there is morality and viewpoints after. Neither require christian doctrine.

People would be, and still are monogamous/or not regardless to christianity, people don't kill others/or do regardless to christianity, and so on.

What is the importance and influence of Christianity in shaping the western atheist worldview?

What is the 'western atheist worldview'?

I am suggesting that the influence is great because by virtue of being part of civilization that has been dominated by the Christian doctrine the atheist pretty much shares the Christian worldview, regardless of the fact that he does not share in the belief of the Christian God. He cannot escape it.

In what way? Ignore the fact that everyone's an individual with differing worldviews, and tell me what the "christian worldview" is exactly. That would certainly help me answer.

not the surrounding religious values that have become entrenched in society—become a part of society’s basis.

But that's what I disagree with. It's not "religious values", it's "human values". There's a vast difference.

For example, what is the rational basis for a belief/acceptance in/of the notion that all men are created equal?

I certainly don't subscribe to that, and aside from some remaining communist countries that don't work well, I doubt many people do. Further to which, men weren't "created".

It is not a rational belief; it is rather, a religious belief that has been accepted by the society.

What society? And further to that, how is it a religious belief, (other than all people can go to heaven if they so choose and don't be naughty)? The bible isn't a source for equality - full of commended slavery, hating rivals, prophets, peasants and angels... It's got nothing of equality anywhere in it's pages - and christianity as a whole looks down upon anyone who isn't christian, (or more to the point - doesn't want to be christian), and that's gone on throughout history - (example inquisition, which hardly shouts "all men are equal")

How can you claim that to be a religious belief accepted by society?

Or the example I gave earlier about the value of humility over pride.

Where is that seen in society? People are always proud.. proud of their childrens accomplishments, proud of their new car, proud of their girlfriends boob job, proud of the size of their penis, proud that they saved someones life etc etc - while on the other hand "christianiry" tells the world pride is a sin - and yet, I have yet to see one of them who is 'humble', let alone anyone else.

The fact is, after millennia and more of Christian religious indoctrination, the general societal viewpoint is Christian.

Well, all your previous examples were flawed, so the word 'fact' is far from being a suitable word here.

Besides, why is an atheist using the word soul? That in itself ought to make you understand the influence of Christianity on the culture.

I spoke earlier about the handing over of words to any culture. Most of the English words are Latin, and a lot of European. Some even come from age old superstitious mumbo jumbo - such as "hob".

Using a word doesn't imply that the person believes in the existence of a particular thing. I use the word hob quite a lot, it doesn't mean I believe in goblins.

Further to that, 'soul' simply means breath.

And further to that, Cretin means "Christian, human being, kind of idiot found in the Alps."

If I call someone a cretin, it doesn't imply that I think they're found in the Alps, or that they're christian.

Here's the full dictionary definition:

From the Oxford English Dictionary:
cre.tin \kre-t-*n, esp Brit 'kre-tin\ \-*s\ n [F cre`tin, fr. F dial. cretin Christian, human being, kind of idiot found in the Alps, fr. L christianus Christian : one afflicted with cretinism; broadly : a person with marked mental deficiency - cre.tin.ous aj

It is apparent that these words are 'handed down', and whether that be by a religious group or not, it's such a minor little thing, it's not worth the mention.

It's kind of like planets.. They're named after a long lost cultures gods, as are meteorites etc. Clearly from this we can see that they have also had an impact. But given your questions main focus on morality, these are inconsequential.

The fact is, atheists don’t ascribe to the belief in a Christian God, yet they are shaped by the Christian worldview.

Again I can only ask how. Kindly give me a working example.

This is nonsensical. You think it is natural for us human beings to value the life of another human being?

I'm sorry, but I don't understand exactly what you're trying to say. It's almost as if you're picturing a society free from christianity, going round whacking each other round the head for the sake of whacking each other round the head.

It's not about caring, but merely "need".

We don't need to go round whacking people round the head, and never have.

You're mistaking "valuing the life of others" for "no need to end the life of others". Those whose lives we truly do value, are those who are close - i.e family/friends/community.

This can be seen in societies free from christianity - such as chimpanzee society, dog society, mouse society and so on. I've even seen lemurs cry when their "loved ones" die.

Yes, it's completely natural, and to suggest otherwise is without worth.

I even value the life of my pet goldfish. Do I thank christianity for that aswell?

To think it is natural to be monogamous?

No, and that's why in this country alone the statistic is that 3 out of every 5 people has an affair - some of whom are christian.

However, dolphins remain completely monogamous throughout their entire lives. I suppose you're now going to claim christianity has a mass impact on the dolphin population?

These are not instincts

Ask the dolphin I guess. Or the chimpanzee..

Human morality has moved beyond simple instinctual behaviours and patterns.

Not in the case of your previous examples.

That is true, we are a social species. However group dynamics are not deterministic or predictable as the group increases.

Sure they are. There's fields devoted to it. From simple things such as how you'll 'change step' if you're walking and talking - to how groups will take on roles just like a group of chimps/gorillas if put in a room together/a tense situation etc. Further than that there's courtship, "body language" and a whole host of sections that show the instinctual side of man. There's even programmes that specifically point it out - such as 'survivor' "get me out of here', 'the farm' 'big brother' and so on.

As to why people form groups, it's no more thanks to christianity than why elephants or wolves form groups. It's all completely natural.

Who here is advocating the notion that it requires gods to teach humans how to be humans?

Well, you're saying that western morality is thanks to christianity - which is merely existant due to god, and his lessons in how to be human - or more to the point, how to be a "proper" human. You've been telling me how morality clearly isn't natural, so therefore it had to come from somewhere - and that somewhere would have to originate with god - unless you're claiming a human just "un-naturally" invented morality - in which case we can all "un-naturally" invent morality, and it's of no consequence whether christianity is there or not.

In saying this, I'm pretty sure there were monogamous people in this country way before anyone even knew the word christianity, and as such, it has not been bought to us courtesy of christianity, but is something natural that some ascribe to, and some don't.

The fact that christianity tells us "you can't do that", doesn't change the fact that people do anyway, or don't by their own values and not the values of some religious doctrine. It's completely natural. It also wouldn't change the fact that some people would have been monogamous eons before the word christian was first conceived, nor would it change the fact that I'm sure there was at least one person before the invention of christianity who didn't steal, kill someone or masturbate.

I'm certain there's also some people that haven't heard of/been influenced by christianity, and still for some bizarre un-natural reason, don't kill people.

The Christian worldview is for example different from the Buddhist worldview. This society was under the direct and unchallenged influence of the Christian religion for millennia. It has been shaped by it; it views the world from the Christian viewpoint even if individuals within said society that may not ascribe to the governing belief of said religion that a supreme God exists.

What you're saying is that the christian worldview has influenced christians. I've had affairs, I've beaten up my neighbour, I've worked on a weekend etc etc which clearly goes against this "millennia of unchallenged christian influence".

Please, define this 'viewpoint' further.. What am I doing that is christian in nature?

Look harder

You're looking hard enough for the both of us.

I don’t give a fuck for your explanation as to what viewpoint is best.

By your sentence, I can see you don't. But that's exactly the point.. I'm explaining to you that worldviews exist that have nothing to do with christianity, and instead of just concurring with that fact, you say "I don't give a fuck", and as such, you're missing the point altogether. I'm not trying to say one is better, I'm just asking who is it that is supposedly adhering to this "christian worldview" of yours, other than christians? It would be nice if you'd expand further on what this "christian worldview" is, and then it can be refuted fully.

Thus far, what you've managed to do is further convince me that words do carry through cultures, but little else. You've also informed me that morals are not natural - but then tell me that christians sat down and naturally made up some morals - but have yet to really define this worldview you assume has been given us by christianity.

Earlier you said that "atheists and christians share the same worldview". Aside from the obvious error of lumping everyone into one single category, you probably couldn't even tell me what a "christian worldview" is in any great detail. So far you have mentioned 'murder and monogamy' - which have absolutely no bearing on religious influence, unless animals go to sunday school.

Further to which.. Those of us who thought a differing 'worldview' was "best", would obviously subscribe to that worldview, and as such would obviously then not "share the christian worldview"- because to us, we'd have a better worldview, which must differ otherwise it wouldn't be better, it would be the same. That's the way it is regardless to whether you give a fuck or not.

You clearly need a history lesson. Start a thread on the origins of Judaism and we shall discuss.

If you feel there's an error, bring it up, or you start a new thread. However, before we start, we might aswell get some formalities out the way. I noticed your clear sign of superiority in this matter, so we might aswell just present our qualifications and then we can argue from there.

Last edited:
Originally posted by: RosaMagika
"Would have to" is a no-no if you wish to keep things subjective and relative.

No, it is not since that subjectiveness comes from society as a whole. The society has to define where it lies for them at that present time. A one liner about how you missed the entire point doesn’t help here. Explain yourself further.

Don't put words into my mouth.
If you can't define something, you don't believe in it, sure. But what is the point of going around, telling that you don't believe in something you can't define?

Atheists do not go around proclaiming that we are atheists so much, although it does happen. Rather, theists go around claming that there is a god and our response is “I am an atheist.” There is also that pesky little problem that much of our government bases its laws off of religious concepts we do not prescribe to. The fact that I have to follow laws created out of your beliefs make it pertinent for others to know I do not believe them, such as the lawmakers that I vote for.

I regards to the thread topic, it is the atheists that don't believe in the Christian God that are *loudest*. Those who don't believe in, say, Hindu gods, don't talk much about their atheism. Ever wondered why this is so?

Like I sad, how would you know. Do you live in India? Have you looked up any sources? I have already explained why someone that lives in a Christian dominated area would make no mention of other religions. There is no such thing as a Christian atheist or a Muslim atheist or a Hindu atheist. By saying you are an atheist you are saying that you do not believe in any god or any religion. In effect all those loud atheist that you claim are also speaking out that they do not believe in Hinduism either. You see Christianity debated here among the sci forums because that happens to be the predominate religion here. If all of you were Hindu then it would be different. Also, many of us here live in an area that is dominated by Christians and it is directly pertinent to our lives as much of the government is influenced by ideals that we do not prescribe to. Think how upset you would be if you lived in a country as a Christian that based their laws on Islam. You would not be happy!

You are the one saying how "Morality is subjective" -- and now you dare accuse others of not being objective?!

Yes, I dare. Now what point are you attempting to make? Morality has no baring on logic, which is not subjective.

So you, a future clueless, is calling another one clueless ...

Yes, just as that one will eventually become clueless to those that follow forever until we either slide technologically backwards or kill ourselves. That does not change the fact that, in relation to us, people were clueless 2000 years ago.

For example, there are nervous and frustrated non-religious people, as well as nervous and frustrated religious people.
There are also shiny happy non-religious people, as well as shiny happy religious people.
There are power-hungry religious poeple, and there are power-hungry non-religious people.

What makes the difference is that some religious people use their belief to live out their personal frustrations and deisres, or that they say it is their religious belief that makes them happy -- and that without their religion, they would be unhappy.

But this really has *nothing* to do with religion itself -- it is about personal psychology.

That has nothing to do with my statement. I was talking about where you get your morality versus where I get mine, from examination or a book, and how that causes some serious differences in our moralistic beliefs, which is the point of this thread yet makes up the smallest part in the posts?!?!?!?! :D

But unless I have faith and give it a try, I will never know what things could be like. The same as with the crush: unless I give it a try and make the first step, I will never know what will happen -- maybe my crush will love me back, maybe not. But if I don't try, I will never know.

That is true. Many of us here, including myself, have tried. The real question is why you continue, I have tried and found that faith just does not cut it.

Originally posted by:
If you have reasonable expectations, yet are rejected -- I see no reason why one should be angry and resentful about that; neither do I see why pursue the crush after being rejected.

And that was my point. Why continue to believe when there is zero empirical evidence and yet still call it rational. I do not believe that it is unreasonable for god to have left at least the tiniest straw of evidence for me to grab on to for a lifetime of worship and service, yet there is none. Hence it is an irrational belief.

Apparently, we do need it, or we wouldn't be doing it.

What kind of stupid thing is that to say?!?!?! We are doing it therefore we need it! Well, there’s some real logic, yah right.

Ohh no, I think all that typing was in vain unless RM is going to retur. On second thought it was in vain anyway, now I just wont have to repeat myself when there is no substance in the counter. But I’m going to post it anyway since I typed it up before I seen the good bye post and there is nothing you can do about it so there :p

Don't panic, she only said goodbye to me because I don't "share the christian moral worldview" - even though there's no absolute standard by which to measure what that is :D

Originally posted by: thefountainhed
That is my point: society and its institutions, predominantly religion, shape morality. Societies have different morals if their cultures differ, but in societies that shared religions, over time the moral differences diminished and became alike. Look at western europe and the impact of Christianity or eatern asia and the impact of buddism? This is a Christian culture; its morals are shaped by the christian belief system and therefore an atheist by virture of being part of this society shares therefore in the morals of this society.

That was the point in my earlier post. We start[/i] with the same moralistic virtues but when we part from the faith many of those moralities that were taken at face value are questioned and sometimes change. That is not to say that the ideals are totally different, nobody can change that drastically, but many of the core issues of morality are changed. This leads to a quite different view than those held by most theists and those held by atheists. It goes without saying that an atheist that was born in a Buddhist society will differ in beliefs than an atheist in a Christian society yet there are still differences between the atheist and theist views on morality.

Originally posted by: SnakeLord
Saying "christianity" kind of lumps the whole load together - be them good, bad, smart, stupid, self righteous, and so on - and gives them credit for modern day good behaviour.

I don’t think that is the point. I think you have misunderstood thefountainhed’s point to this post. It does not say that theology is to be thanked because all our good comes from it but rather that it has influenced us, for good and bad. That is a fact, it is obvious. I will give examples later in this post, bear with me.

We are not instructed or guided by them, but by our societies laws - which sure, may be similar to the laws of biblical time, or the laws of Hammurabi - but need not require their existence to be made.

Yes we do. You do not build a boeing 747 from scrach, you need to start at the Wright brothers makeshift airplane and move forward from there. That does not say that it NEEDED to be Hammarabi or Christian law in order for us to set up our moralistic principals but that it was. There is no way around that, those are our orgins and as such have great influence.

When someone gets killed, we all cringe, (generally), and that does not require religious influence. It is nature, not religious doctrine that governs morals.
and
Most haven't even read it, and those who go somewhere to listen to it are generally christian, and its apparent to state that christianity has influenced christians.. but has no bearing on anyone else. I personally can't think of one atheist who's read the bible and said "Well, I don't believe in this god being - but hey, it says "thou shalt not kill". I wont kill anyone now". There were morality and viewpoints before christian doctrine, there is morality and viewpoints after. Neither require christian doctrine.

People would be, and still are monogamous/or not regardless to christianity, people don't kill others/or do regardless to christianity, and so on.

OK, this I think is another misunderstanding. It does not NEED to be religious standard but it was. Granted, outright murder does not need to have society define it as bad but what about other morals? How about human sacrifice, something that the “new” version of Christianity has done away with. If we were surrounded by Incan religion then sacrifices just might be commonplace and not viewed as moralistically wrong. Lets go to something less drastic. You spoke of monogamy as unnatural. Dou you believe that it is “wrong” to be polygamous or to cheat? No matter what your belief it is societies view that monogamy is correct and cheating is wrong, a direct violation of middle eastern cultures moral view of polygamy. If you were in a country that existed in a predominantly Islamic nation it would not be considered immoral to marry many wives. What about punishments? If a person were to steal food for survival would it be correct to cut off a hand? In a Christian influenced aria that would be an atrocity, I personally think that would be overly harsh yet it is considered to be the only moral recourse in an Islamic state. What would you do if a man cheats on his wife with a married woman? Personally that is wrong but that is there own problem. In some cultures the woman would be hung and yet the man would simply get lashed. In all of these instances there is no real argument as to weather one or the other is moral. Both moral system stemmed from completely different religions. It is that religious influence that has caused such diversity. Each religions laws most likely influenced in large part by environmental stresses that called for those morals.

Although it burns my stomach to sound like Rose Magika, I would ask you to define what you mean by "christianity". As you've pointed out, we're talking well over a millennia, through a whole load of changes. Look at the times where they were happily burning "witches", and anyone who thought differently to them.. Do we do it now? Have atheists been influenced by that part of christianity? Is that part of our ideology?

Yes, we have been influenced by this. I would go out on a limb and say that my fervent belief that church needs to be separate from state and religious tolerance may have been results of this and many other glaring Christian errors throught history. This is just a guess though as I have not done the required research to confirm it.

but it's impossible to label something like "christianity" and claim it's responsible for anything - because it's so vast and yet loose a word, that it doesn't really mean anything.

I do not think so. Christyanity is different on many levels but it also has many widespread “truths” that are acceped by all but the most aggressive Christians. IUt is that underlying truth that is what influences us to this day rather than each little separate nuance that divides theologians into different sects.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand exactly what you're trying to say. It's almost as if you're picturing a society free from christianity, going round whacking each other round the head for the sake of whacking each other round the head.

That is due to the misunderstanding that I pointed out earlier. Thefountainhed NEVER said that our positive morals are due to Christianity. It was stated that it was an influence. That can be good or bad. There is no indication from his posts that no Christianity=chaos, just that there are moral standards that we have that are due to the influence of religion. If it were not for Christianity I think that we may well have a better grasp on a more agreeable moral system, then again maybe not. Maybe we would be in a constant state of dog eat dog where only the ritch survive. I do not know because Christianity has been an influence and there is no way to guess what would have happened should in have never come into play.

I will admit that I have been influenced but I will continue to evaluate why I believe that some things are amoral and others are not. If I cant find a reason then I will disregard that belief.

I hope I am understandable and coherint because I am tired and cannot keep up in this thread. Every time I post another one pops up before I can even put mine in. Are all or you just watching and hitting the refresh buttons?!?!?!?! :)

I don’t think that is the point. I think you have misunderstood thefountainhed’s point to this post. It does not say that theology is to be thanked because all our good comes from it but rather that it has influenced us, for good and bad. That is a fact, it is obvious. I will give examples later in this post, bear with me.

I never said it didn't have influence, I said those influences are generally minor. There are influences from all over, but fountainheads main goals seem to be related to morals, which I argue are not 'given' or influenced, but natural.

However, I have asked for actual working examples so I can debate them properly. He did mention monogamy, caring about other peoples lives, humility and some bizarre 'all men are equal' notion.

These are clearly not christian influences, because not only do they happen even in places where the term christianity has never been uttered, but they happen in the animal kingdom aswell.

It's like saying a frog influenced a kangaroo to jump. Regardless to whether the frog is there or not, the kangaroo would still jump.

Further to which, the terms "christianity" and "the christian worldview" are too loose to mean much because it can apply to anything you want it to. I have a slave in my house - would you say that's an influence of christianity?

You do not build a boeing 747 from scrach, you need to start at the Wright brothers makeshift airplane and move forward from there.

Yes, but I'm arguing that morality is natural, whereas knowing how to build a boeing 747 from scratch is not natural.

Read the frog/kangaroo analogy.

That does not say that it NEEDED to be Hammarabi or Christian law in order for us to set up our moralistic principals but that it was.

So it was Hammurabi? How do you set a date by which to say who one is influenced by? Surely then you'd have to go right back to the beginning of morality and say they were the influence? Why stop at christianity, when we can just say it was the first moral guy on the planet who decided to teach it on to his kids? I assume there were morals and laws in this country before the days of christianity, so then how would it be a christian influence if the practices were already in place?

Further to which, it wouldn't be a christian influence, because the bible writers weren't 'christian'.

OK, this I think is another misunderstanding. It does not NEED to be religious standard but it was.

Ok, but what you'd need to do is show that these practices/morals were not in place before the arrival of christianity. If they were, then christianity cannot be the influence, because the moral was already existant.

How about human sacrifice, something that the “new” version of Christianity has done away with

And this is why I asked for a definition over what "christianity" refers to. On the one hand people are talking about murder and mongamy, and on the other we now see "human sacrifice" - and the added "new version". So let's ask, who influenced this "new version" of christianity? Because then surely whoever influenced the "new version" of christianity, is thus responsible for influencing us aswell.. or did they just influence christians separately, saying "you can deal with everyone else"?

Further to which, can you show me anything to support that this "new" christianity did away with human sacrifice? I'm only asking because my historical knowledge of human sacrifice is limited.

If we were surrounded by Incan religion then sacrifices just might be commonplace and not viewed as moralistically wrong.

But there are places where human sacrifice isn't done, that have never met christians or incans. So, what- christianity came to England and influenced us not to or... we just weren't anyway?

If the system is already in practice, bringing a book and saying "don't do this" is irrelevant, because nobody was doing it before you came - and thus the influence is not from you.

You spoke of monogamy as unnatural. Dou you believe that it is “wrong” to be polygamous or to cheat?

It depends. With my wife, I would consider it wrong - but with my ex, I did it all the time.

No matter what your belief it is societies view that monogamy is correct and cheating is wrong

Given my earlier figure, that can't be all that accurate. I mean, if 3 out of every 5 people has an affair, that speaks for the majority of society.. no?

And if monogamy was in practice before the arrival of christianity, how could it be a christian influence?

If you were in a country that existed in a predominantly Islamic nation it would not be considered immoral to marry many wives.

Ok, and now some 'new' religion walks into the region with a book saying "it's cool to have lots of wives", you'd then claim it was their influence?

If a person were to steal food for survival would it be correct to cut off a hand? In a Christian influenced aria that would be an atrocity

Only if you happened to be cutting off hands before the arrival of a new religion. However, mormons are christians no? And don't they subscribe to all the "eye for an eye" business.. And what states in America still have the death penalty - predominantly christian ones? Or perhaps predominantly non-christian ones, where the "christian influence" obviously hasn't reached?

I personally think that would be overly harsh yet it is considered to be the only moral recourse in an Islamic state.

Of course, it would be much better to hear from someone who lives in an islamic state. I have heard many that deny this 'western view of islam'.

In all of these instances there is no real argument as to weather one or the other is moral. Both moral system stemmed from completely different religions.

And what I would like you to do, is show whether christianity bought any morals that we didn't have prior to their arrival. If we did have these morals before their arrival, how could you claim it's their influence?

It is that religious influence that has caused such diversity. Each religions laws most likely influenced in large part by environmental stresses that called for those morals.

Sure, but you're in two different areas. One where the religion was born and founded, and another that had systems in place before the arrival of the 'new' religion. What I want you to do, is show me that before the arrival of the 'new' religion, the country did everything different. If not, the influence clearly does not come from the 'new religion' for it was existant before it.

I do not think so. Christyanity is different on many levels but it also has many widespread “truths” that are acceped by all but the most aggressive Christians. IUt is that underlying truth that is what influences us to this day rather than each little separate nuance that divides theologians into different sects.

Such as what? Give me a widespread truth that is of influence.

[Edit] To put it in as straightforward a manner as I can, I shall say this:

An "influence" can only be stated if something was done differently and then changed due to an outsider perspective.

For instance:

I'm an alcoholic, and my brother comes up to me and says "Don't drink". The fact that I have then stopped drinking would lead us to the conclusion that my brother was an influence in my not drinking.

If I didn't drink, and my brother comes up and says "Don't drink", we cannot consider him an influence, because the "practice was already in place".

In the same manner, christianity cannot be considered an influence as far as morality goes unless that practice was completely different before their arrival. Can you show that to be the case?

Last edited:
SnakeLord said:
Yes I can. In the context of your statement over how much influence christianity has to western morals etc, it's a point that needs to be made. The main reason being, that aside from some parables that very few even know exist, the NT has very little to offer in the way of morals. You'll find what is generally told to religious youngsters, and considered as the moral lessons, would be from the OT. The ten commandments are a very important part of this with all the key guidelines to moral behaviour:
What exactly is your conception of what morality is, because you seem to have constricted your understanding of what morality as presented in Christianity to the 10 commandments. Also, it’s more than morality that is affected; Christianity has also influenced the value system

Thous shalt not kill, steal etc...
This would then be a jewish influence on western society, no?
Of what import is it that Christianity grew out of Judaism? Like I said, every ideology pretty much owes to every other ideology. However, Christianity has been around for two thousand years and therefore has acquired its own distinct set of ideology.

Just because the christians adopted it as their own, doesn't imply that they have copyright to it. Thus we could happily state that our moral behaviour is thanks to the jews.
What are you talking about? Judaism is clearly different from Christianity. The notion of an aggregate value for all humans before the deity is not evident in Judaism nor is the moral of forgiving—just to give a few examples.

Further to which, these people had to think up things that they thought were moral. We also have that ability. Our morality need not be shaped by bibles, or religious groups in our society but simply by our own inbuilt natures.
It is not about what ought to be; it is about what is. And what is with this notion of an instinctive morality? Human morality in every culture has risen above our biological makeup. You talk of humans not going around killing each other when in different cultures, the value of human life has been pretty much nil—where human sacrifice, which by the way is an accepted belief in the OT—is an intrinsic part of the society. An instinctive morality implies there needn’t be structures to ensure the practice of moral. In no society is it accepted that humans, by virtue of being human, shall behave the “right way”.

Whether they're there or not, doesn't mean we would be any different, morally speaking, without them.
It works from a personal standpoint, such as:
My mother taught me what was right and wrong. Her mother taught her and so on back through time. So, once upon a time there was a woman who felt like being moral and taught it to her kids, which has continued as a tradition until now.
You are not thinking this through. The morality of say two thousand years ago is not the same as that of now; the values accepted by society are not the same as now. Somewhere in the timeline, one of your “mothers” acquiesced to society’s value and moral systems and passed that on.

Huh? Morality when used as has been implies immorality and morality, i.e. right and wrong. I think you hatred of Christianity is blinding you in terms of understanding my point.

Further to which, "christianity" is such a loose word. Technically it's pretty meaningless given the question because you cannot assume that to mean the people, or their practices - because that is a completely individual thing. It can't really apply to the bible either, because not only is it not owned by 'christianity', but quite frankly it has more nasty shit than decent moral behaviour. So what exactly is christianity?
Of course Christianity applies to the people and their practices; it is not an “individual” thing. A religion implies the sets of beliefs and value/moral judgments made by those that practice or are influenced by the religion. Are you to tell for instance that Buddhist influence on the peoples of China ought to be ignored when looking at the individual moral viewpoint? I think about 70 percent of Americans can be classified as Christian.

Does that not answer your own question? You asked how much christianity has shaped the western thought etc, but now say that although we owe a lot to those that came before, we're completely different?
My question was rhetorical in that the thread and my initial post answers it. I’m saying for instance that we owe math to the Greeks and those before them, but it would be irrational to attribute the computer to them.

'Christianity' is what, getting closer to 2000 years old? Although we owe them a lot, we are a completely different civilisation. There are those who want to cling to the past, and there are those that don't. We are not instructed or guided by them, but by our societies laws - which sure, may be similar to the laws of biblical time, or the laws of Hammurabi - but need not require their existence to be made.
What??? You are saying that Christianity is a different civilization? I think that you are perhaps taking a stricter definition of Christianity than I am. One needs not be a practicing Christian to think like a Christian. Now, since you claim that this civilization is no longer Christian, tell me how it was Christian before and how it isn’t any longer. The power of the Christian church in terms of affecting policy, etc is limited in the western world, but to claim this civilization as not being Christian is rather unreasonable.

You think it is natural to cringe when someone gets killed? You think feeling empathetic to someone getting killed that lives thousands of miles away from you and is not part of your emotional/financial foundation is natural? Well you are wrong. There is nothing natural in cringing when you see the death of another human who is not a tribe member. If you cannot understand this very simple point I cannot see how you can understand the rest.

Were all Christians burning witches? Was it accepted by Christians is general to burn witches? I cannot understand how your viewpoint of Christianity can be so myopic.

I use the umbrella term Christianity to refer to the body of Christians, and by Christians I mean:
And this is from http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_defn.htm

We accept as Christian any individual or group who devoutly, thoughtfully, seriously, and prayerfully regards themselves to be Christian. Included are: the Roman Catholic church; the Eastern Orthodox churches, conservative, mainline, and liberal Christian faith groups; The church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (the Mormons); Jehovah's Witnesses and a thousand or so other religious organizations who view themselves as Christian.

Or a better structured definition:

Basic Christian: "Person P is a Basic Christian if and only if P believes that a theistic God exists, that Jesus lived at the time of Pilate, that Jesus is the Incarnation of God, that one is saved through faith in Jesus, and that Jesus is the model of ethical behavior."
Orthodox Christian (meaning a traditional Christian, not necessarily a member of an Eastern Orthodox church): "Person P is an Orthodox Christian if and only if P is a Basic Christian and P believes in the Trinity, the Virgin Birth, the Crucifixion [ordered] by Pilate, the Resurrection, and the Second Coming."
Liberal Christian: Person P is a liberal Christian if they believe in "a theistic God, ...Jesus as a model of ethical behavior, ...[and] the historicity of Jesus."
Extreme Liberal Christian: Person P is an extreme liberal Christian if they believe in "Jesus as a model of ethical behavior..." Presumably, such an extreme liberal Christian could also be an Agnostic, Atheist or Humanist. 10

There are of course "remains" scattered about the place to support christianity.. These range from schools having the name of a saint to people wearing crosses even if they're not religious - but are generally so inconsequential and minor, that the impact seems to certainly be minimal. They even get a 30 minute slot on TV every sunday.

Other examples are like the ones I listed earlier, such as: "oh my god", "jesus christ" - and other verbal comments we might make on occasion. However, words are like that - and in general things of that nature do carry far.

For instance you could look at the majority of superstitions, from saying "good morning" to magpies, to covering your mouth when you yawn.

A lot of them are 'christian' trends that have carried across, but many are not. As an example: In England we call a cooker, a hob. You might recognise that 3 letter word - it often applies to a small green dude called the hobgoblin. The reason we call a cooker, a hob is because hob was funnily enough a goblin, who used to protect the hearth, (fireplace).

There will always be an impact from the strangest things - hell, even what kind of clothes are in fashion this season - but it's impossible to label something like "christianity" and claim it's responsible for anything - because it's so vast and yet loose a word, that it doesn't really mean anything.
So influences on the general populace who do not accept the belief in Jesus Christ as the son of God is meaningless. From five working days, to the chastity of marriage, to the value of human life, etc etc you are looking at the workings of Christianity. The western world before Christianity was Rome. Now think clearly about the distinctions.

I’m tired. I”ll finish the rest tomorrow.

Typically, a christian would say one cannot define god, any further than to say he's the overall head honcho, he's omnipotent, omnisicent etc. (You can see the dictionary definition on my post to Rose).

However, you cannot say there's any importance of christianity on imaging god in this society, because an atheist does not believe in god. As such we argue their definition. I'm sure an Indian atheist would argue against a god with an elephant head, but there's little need here unless an atheist happens to be debating against someone who believes in an elephant headed god - in which case, you could then say that definition is being imaged in society.
The atheist argues against the definitions he is presented; your conception of God as being omniscient, omnipotent, etc is the direct result of representation as given by the Christian belief system. As I was saying before, the atheist viewpoint is reactionary relative to the main religious belief being rebelled against. Of course the Christian defines his God; of course public perception of God is due to the Christian faith. The Atheist does not define the God nor attribute characteristics to it/him/her.

Who said knowing and accepting Christian morality and value system requires church attendance or reading the bible? I am also not saying that society requires Christianity in order to be moral or develop its own morality. I’m also not saying that present morality as presented by Christianity is necessarily good. What I am saying is that the moral system is shaped by Christianity.

In response to your last two statements, I’m telling you that the law of chastity—monogamy within a marriage—grew out of Christian thought. People might kill or not kill each other regardless of Christian morality, yes, but what exactly is the significance? Morality is the value judgment on specific actions; most things we consider as crime, etc exist and will exist in every society regardless of how the overriding moral viewpoint is shaped.

What is the 'western atheist worldview'?
Do you accept the notion that specific societies have worldviews that are distinctly different from other cultures? Well I do. I use the two adjectives to indicate that I am referring to a particular section of western society—Atheists, and their value, moral, etc viewpoints.

In what way? Ignore the fact that everyone's an individual with differing worldviews, and tell me what the "christian worldview" is exactly. That would certainly help me answer.
The individual viewpoint certainly exists, but it is shaped by the societal viewpoint. The Christian worldview implies the moral, value, etc views of the Christian—as has been previously defined.

But that's what I disagree with. It's not "religious values", it's "human values". There's a vast difference.
You cannot simply discount aspects of Christianity you disagree with and accept the ones you agree with. These viewpoints are not “human values” because they are not cross-cultural; they are values developed through the Christian faith. Simply because you do not accept Christ as the son of God or deny the existence of God does not mean that other values and morals shaped and developed through said religion ought not be attributed to the religion. Are you familiar with the religious history of the USA or Europe?

I certainly don't subscribe to that, and aside from some remaining communist countries that don't work well, I doubt many people do. Further to which, men weren't "created".
the quotation does not imply that all men have the same attributes, etc it is simply a stance on the value of life. Throughout history, the value of a man’s life was subjective to his social status—the rich and powerful were generally viewed as more important. If one for instance was a simple serf, the value of his life was thought negligible. Do you feel empathetic for the sufferings of the Jews during WW2 or for the victims of the Rwanda genocide? At no other time in history has the value of one man’s life been so high.

What society? And further to that, how is it a religious belief, (other than all people can go to heaven if they so choose and don't be naughty)? The bible isn't a source for equality - full of commended slavery, hating rivals, prophets, peasants and angels... It's got nothing of equality anywhere in it's pages - and christianity as a whole looks down upon anyone who isn't christian, (or more to the point - doesn't want to be christian), and that's gone on throughout history - (example inquisition, which hardly shouts "all men are equal")
This society. It is by this accepted belief that an aggregate appropriation of rights is based. Firstly, when have I described the values and morality of society as religious beliefs? The religion shapes and influences the value system of a given culture where the religion is the main. It does not mean it is a religious belief. Also, with regards to the slavery, peasants, etc depicted in the OT, generally Christianity as a whole has not endorsed/preached said practices. Christianity as a religion is essentially developed around the NT, and one can see there exists a difference.

Where is that seen in society? People are always proud.. proud of their childrens accomplishments, proud of their new car, proud of their girlfriends boob job, proud of the size of their penis, proud that they saved someones life etc etc - while on the other hand "christianiry" tells the world pride is a sin - and yet, I have yet to see one of them who is 'humble', let alone anyone else.
The notion of arrogance or an ego being immoral does in fact exist in this society. The moral or value does not imply one ought not be proud of their children, car, etc it says for example that narcissism is amoral. Do you disagree with arrogance, narcissism, etc having negative/immoral connotations within the society?

I spoke earlier about the handing over of words to any culture. Most of the English words are Latin, and a lot of European. Some even come from age old superstitious mumbo jumbo - such as "hob".
Using a word doesn't imply that the person believes in the existence of a particular thing. I use the word hob quite a lot, it doesn't mean I believe in goblins.
Further to that, 'soul' simply means breath.
The usage of hob does not imply a belief in goblin. It is also irrelevant what the roots of a word are. What is relevant is the definition or connotation of the word. What are the roots of the word nigger? The usage of soul—you lack a soul, you are soulless etc--- are not used with the implication of breath. The usage implies spirituality.

And further to that, Cretin means "Christian, human being, kind of idiot found in the Alps."
If I call someone a cretin, it doesn't imply that I think they're found in the Alps, or that they're christian.
Here's the full dictionary definition:
From the Oxford English Dictionary:
cre.tin \kre-t-*n, esp Brit 'kre-tin\ \-*s\ n [F cre`tin, fr. F dial. cretin Christian, human being, kind of idiot found in the Alps, fr. L christianus Christian : one afflicted with cretinism; broadly : a person with marked mental deficiency - cre.tin.ous aj
Also from the oxford dictionary:

noun 1 a stupid person.

And the definition I provide is the generally accepted one, correct? Most English words have more than one definition, but certain ones are generally more accepted and recognized than others; that is an obvious. Your argument is meaningless.

It is apparent that these words are 'handed down', and whether that be by a religious group or not, it's such a minor little thing, it's not worth the mention.

It's kind of like planets.. They're named after a long lost cultures gods, as are meteorites etc. Clearly from this we can see that they have also had an impact. But given your questions main focus on morality, these are inconsequential.
It is not a question of roots; it is a question of their recognized definition(s) within the society.

How did you reach that conclusion? Where in the thread have you seen me lauding Christianity or talking about the ills that will affect society if Christianity did not exist? That is absurd, and again I think your hatred or whatever term you’d like to use, towards Christianity is affecting your understanding of the topic at hand. No, I am not picturing a world without Christianity fucking going kaput.

It's not about caring, but merely "need".
We don't need to go round whacking people round the head, and never have.
Are you sure about that? Do we need another history lesson?

You're mistaking "valuing the life of others" for "no need to end the life of others". Those whose lives we truly do value, are those who are close - i.e family/friends/community.

This can be seen in societies free from christianity - such as chimpanzee society, dog society, mouse society and so on. I've even seen lemurs cry when their "loved ones" die.
Yes, it's completely natural, and to suggest otherwise is without worth.
Did I not within my example talk of the value of human life as a general, or empathy towards a human not part of the tribal entity? Please stop distorting what I say. There is nothing natural about me caring or feeling empathetic at your death. I don’t know you. There is nothing natural about feeling empathetic towards a bunch of murdered children in Iraq when you live in this society. And even within the tribe, i.e. family/friends/community, we have still killed, etc for our own benefits. Selflessness outside the tribe is an unnatural trait that requires rationalization; empathy towards groups outside the tribe requires rationalization.

No, and that's why in this country alone the statistic is that 3 out of every 5 people has an affair - some of whom are christian.
However, dolphins remain completely monogamous throughout their entire lives. I suppose you're now going to claim christianity has a mass impact on the dolphin population?
Are you this stupid, or do you think you get a freaking badge for “winning”? I’m an atheist; I do not value Christianity as a religious belief; attempting to belittle with your nonsensical reference to dolphin behaviour is idiotic.

Taking your tone, I will repeat like I’m talking to the class idiot: Before Christianity, there was no such thing as monogamy in marriage within western society. It means you could have multiple wives, concubines, etc and not have it looked upon by society as being immoral. Before Christianity, the western moral viewpoint could be looked as that endorsed by the Roman civilization The presence of morality in a society does not indicate that society will practice what is deemed moral—unless enforced.

Sure they are. There's fields devoted to it. From simple things such as how you'll 'change step' if you're walking and talking - to how groups will take on roles just like a group of chimps/gorillas if put in a room together/a tense situation etc. Further than that there's courtship, "body language" and a whole host of sections that show the instinctual side of man. There's even programmes that specifically point it out - such as 'survivor' "get me out of here', 'the farm' 'big brother' and so on.
Studies within group dynamics are probabilistic at best and not deterministic. To not recognize this implies a misunderstanding of the ‘field’. One cannot determine the behvaiour of the group as a whole—especially when the group increases. Such fantasies exist only in SF, i.e., Foundation.

As to why people form groups, it's no more thanks to christianity than why elephants or wolves form groups. It's all completely natural.
Where is there a discussion of why people form groups? Where is the bloody relevance and who is espousing a different reason for our nature as social beings?

Well, you're saying that western morality is thanks to christianity - which is merely existant due to god, and his lessons in how to be human - or more to the point, how to be a "proper" human. You've been telling me how morality clearly isn't natural, so therefore it had to come from somewhere - and that somewhere would have to originate with god - unless you're claiming a human just "un-naturally" invented morality - in which case we can all "un-naturally" invent morality, and it's of no consequence whether christianity is there or not.
I am telling you that morality—the value judgments placed on certain actions—are shaped by institutions within society, for example Hinduism in India or Buddhism in China or Christianity in Europe. Other institutions like the caste system in Japan can produce ethical or behavioural codes such as Bushido. I am telling you that in no human society is our morality dependent on our biological makeup; in no society is it accepted that humans will recognize “right” from “wrong” simply because they are born—these are society-dependent. I am telling you that the most prevalent and therefore important social institution in the Western world for more than millennia has been Christianity. I am saying that Christianity has affected the worldview of the citizens of the western world, including atheists. What is so bloody hard to understand?

In saying this, I'm pretty sure there were monogamous people in this country way before anyone even knew the word christianity, and as such, it has not been bought to us courtesy of christianity, but is something natural that some ascribe to, and some don't.
This country before Christianity??? Are you a moron? There was no USA when Christianity was nonsexist. The origin inhabitants of this continent did not practice marital monogamy.

The fact that christianity tells us "you can't do that", doesn't change the fact that people do anyway, or don't by their own values and not the values of some religious doctrine. It's completely natural. It also wouldn't change the fact that some people would have been monogamous eons before the word christian was first conceived, nor would it change the fact that I'm sure there was at least one person before the invention of christianity who didn't steal, kill someone or masturbate.
There was no marital monogamy except in isolated societies. Morality does not completely prevent a person from engaging in a specific act. It moderates it.

I'm certain there's also some people that haven't heard of/been influenced by christianity, and still for some bizarre un-natural reason, don't kill people.
Are you trying to be stupid or something?

By your sentence, I can see you don't. But that's exactly the point.. I'm explaining to you that worldviews exist that have nothing to do with christianity, and instead of just concurring with that fact, you say "I don't give a fuck", and as such, you're missing the point altogether. I'm not trying to say one is better, I'm just asking who is it that is supposedly adhering to this "christian worldview" of yours, other than christians? It would be nice if you'd expand further on what this "christian worldview" is, and then it can be refuted fully.
Your statement was about how you valued Atheism over Christianity; I don’t care about that. That other worldviews exist in the western world not completely influenced by Christianity is also irrelevant because I have not said there did not exist such worldviews.

What exactly is your conception of what morality is, because you seem to have constricted your understanding of what morality as presented in Christianity to the 10 commandments. Also, it’s more than morality that is affected; Christianity has also influenced the value system

Well I have been working from the couple of examples you provided for me, such as monogamy and valuing the life of others. While I have tried to point out several times that I agree christianity has left its mark in many different areas of modern society, it cannot be assumed that morality as seen in your examples above, has been given to us by christianity.

In the case of 'valuing the life of others', we can see this as a part of humanity since eons past, but for some reason some seem determined to state it as a christian concept, that changed us all from partaking in "human sacrifices", to being all round decent moral humans..

What I have been trying to state, is that something cannot be considered as being influenced by christianity, if it was existant before the arrival of christianity.

The notion of an aggregate value for all humans before the deity is not evident in Judaism

Kindly explain this further.

nor is the moral of forgiving

I have no idea where you're getting this from, but it sounds like a personal resentment as opposed to reality.

Human morality in every culture has risen above our biological makeup. You talk of humans not going around killing each other when in different cultures, the value of human life has been pretty much nil—where human sacrifice, which by the way is an accepted belief in the OT—is an intrinsic part of the society.

Show me where this value of human life has been nil, and where human sacrifice has been an intrinsic part of society.

The problem you're having, is that you're looking at something that has existed for eons, but giving credit to christianity merely because it has put its stamp on it. As an example:

You could claim that burial is a christian concept - for when a person dies, they get buried in a chruch graveyard and get read some christian biblical text.

However, it remains that burial was around far before christianity, but in more recent times christianity has simply stamped their mark on it.

The Red Lady of Paviland is a prime example.. The burial ceremony took place some 30,000 years ago, showing that these people did value human life even back then. If they didn't value human life, there's no reason to assume they'd value human death either, but would instead just discard the body like a candy wrapper. These people were cared about, and buried with jewellery and so on, which shows that even 30,000 years ago, caring about human life was an issue.

Why come here and try to hand those values, that have followed mankind throughout his existence, onto christianity - a religion that has caused as much lack of caring about human life as anyone else ever has, if not more?

Also, if you could quote specific human sacrifice passages from the OT, I would be grateful. It's been a while since I read it, and I can't remember it word for word.

You are not thinking this through. The morality of say two thousand years ago is not the same as that of now; the values accepted by society are not the same as now.

The morality of 100 years ago is not the same as that of now. Society changes frequently and fast, which is one of the problems I see in you saying "christianity". It can refer to any time, from 2000 years ago to last Sunday - and given your former examples of morality - hasn't given that which hasn't already been existant within society.

I think you hatred of Christianity is blinding you in terms of understanding my point.

Well that's unfounded. I don't hate christianity at all, in fact - I simply do not even find it worth caring about, let alone hating. I will however confess that I find most christians to be self-righteous, stupid, and trying their utmost to lower the self esteem, self worth and self respect of humanity. Either way, that has no bearing on 'understanding your point'

Of course Christianity applies to the people and their practices; it is not an “individual” thing. A religion implies the sets of beliefs and value/moral judgments made by those that practice or are influenced by the religion.

But it is too broad a word - implying the hundreds of differing values and morals, ranging from catholicism to the KKK, from 'love thy neighbour' to 'an eye for an eye'.

You think it is natural to cringe when someone gets killed?

Are you saying christianity influenced me to cringe when I saw a man getting hit by a bus last week, and watched his bloody corpse thrown across the street like a ragdoll?

I even cringe when I see a dog getting run over.. is that also a christian influence?

Why would a christian even consider cringing when someone got whacked? After all, they believe in a golden city called heaven, where the dead will be brought back to life and get to spend an eternity in gods presence - so at the end of the day, death would be something to be envious of no?

It is natural to cringe when you see something die, and more so with your own species - whether you knew them or not.

Were all Christians burning witches? Was it accepted by Christians is general to burn witches? I cannot understand how your viewpoint of Christianity can be so myopic.

Kindly pay attention to the question marks in my post. I didn't give a viewpoint, I asked a question. Either way, there was time when this occured, and to a massive extent. It was at one stage a big part of christianity, and the millions that died can vouch for that, and we can see its importance in the Malleus Maleficarum. When you say "valuing human life", this part of christianity obviously falls short, and yet when do you think this influencing the western world to value human life came into effect? A decade ago?

You spoke about the "value of human life being pretty much nil", so I would like to ask when all that changed, and how you consider it something given by christianity.

As I've now said quite a few times, I have no quarrels with you saying christianity has an impact on society, and has influenced many things. I disagree on some of your 'examples', the valuing of human life being one of them.

The atheist argues against the definitions he is presented; your conception of God as being omniscient, omnipotent, etc is the direct result of representation as given by the Christian belief system.

Yeah that's what I said, and I have no issues with it.

What I am saying is that the moral system is shaped by Christianity.

Yeah I gathered that. While I have no problems with influenced morality such as not picking your nose in public, or laying the spoon on the outside of the fork, I do have a problem with your claim of valuing human life.

In response to your last two statements, I’m telling you that the law of chastity—monogamy within a marriage—grew out of Christian thought.

From monogamy to monogamy 'within a marriage'. Why the new addition?

Do you accept the notion that specific societies have worldviews that are distinctly different from other cultures?

Yeah, but that's not what I have a problem with.

I use the two adjectives to indicate that I am referring to a particular section of western society—Atheists, and their value, moral, etc viewpoints.

Ok, and when you're done being silly, would you mind actually answering the question? What are an atheists values, morals and viewpoints?

The individual viewpoint certainly exists, but it is shaped by the societal viewpoint. The Christian worldview implies the moral, value, etc views of the Christian—as has been previously defined.

Previously defined? You said "a christian is defined as anyone who regards themselves as christian", and that was pretty much it. Further to that you mentioned a belief in jesus but that does not define or explain their morals etc.

You cannot simply discount aspects of Christianity you disagree with and accept the ones you agree with.

What are you blithering on about? My problem is with you saying 'valuing human life' comes from christianity. I disagree with your claim, and that's my right. End of.

These viewpoints are not “human values” because they are not cross-cultural; they are values developed through the Christian faith.

See above.

Are you familiar with the religious history of the USA or Europe?

It's of no relevance. Personally though, I pay more interest in British history. Being English, that's not a surprise.

the quotation does not imply that all men have the same attributes, etc it is simply a stance on the value of life.

I didn't say it did imply all men have the same attributes, what I was trying to get at, is that this "all men are created equal" notion, isn't present anywhere in western society.

Do you feel empathetic for the sufferings of the Jews during WW2 or for the victims of the Rwanda genocide? At no other time in history has the value of one man’s life been so high.

I'd hardly consider the holocaust or the Rwandan genocide as "one man's life". If it was just one jew or one rwandan, nobody would give a shit.. people only care because it was millions. Nowadays a murder victim is lucky to get a page 3 mention in the newspapers, and is then forgotten about for the rest of mankinds existance.

Firstly, when have I described the values and morality of society as religious beliefs?

Ummmm.. you were speaking about "all men are created equal", which you regard as a value of society, to which you said: "It is not a rational belief; it is rather, a religious belief that has been accepted by the society."

My response was in reference to this, where you said it is a religious belief, and now a post or two later, question over where you said it was a religious belief? Next time, just scroll up and save me doing it for you heh.

Also, with regards to the slavery, peasants, etc depicted in the OT, generally Christianity as a whole has not endorsed/preached said practices. Christianity as a religion is essentially developed around the NT, and one can see there exists a difference.

Well you see, that's why I asked for your definition of christianity. A while back, I said christianity couldn't refer to the people or it's practices, to which you disagreed and said it was the people and their practices. Further to which, you very recently said: "Who said knowing and accepting Christian morality and value system requires church attendance or reading the bible?"

As that is the case, by your own words, we can look at christianity by the practices of its people. As that's the case, I once again ask where this supposed "equality" is, considering the actions of christianity throughout history. From the inquisition where many millions were slaughtered, to the burning of the protestants by the catholic Mary. From the general way in which christians will look down upon anyone who is not of their kind, and even anyone who is of their kind but of slightly differing thought, (protestants - catholics), to the days of christian supported slavery.

I see very little instance of 'equality' anywhere within christianity, and you have yet to show otherwise.

Rest later..

What I am saying is that the moral system is shaped by Christianity.

That depends. I'm sure such things as women dressing conservatively, (as opposed to wearing hotpants and stuff), can be considered a christian system - but you're in no position to say that caring about human life and monogamy stem from christianity. Unfortunately you think you are in such a position, but it's baseless.

In response to your last two statements, I’m telling you that the law of chastity—monogamy within a marriage—grew out of Christian thought.

I like how you've now added 'within a marriage', because it's quite clear you cannot show monogamy as non-existant, or any less before the arrival of christianity. It's quite a shame that you didn't mention it until now, trying to delude me into thinking that you just ment monogamy as in having one partner, which has been clearly existant before christianity, and is more a matter of emotion than doctrine.

Do you accept the notion that specific societies have worldviews that are distinctly different from other cultures?

Sure, but it encompasses such a vast area, that it is futile to lay it all on the hands of a specific religious system and claim them responsible. The main attributer to differing worldviews is merely environment.

For instance.. In England the land is lush and fertile. Our country is a green one, and always has been. The land is easy to cultivate, meaning parents do not need to have excessive amounts of children. Add to this the taxing that has always been a major factor in this country, and people would be less inclined to have many children, and multiple wives.

Now look at a poorer country - where the land is very hard to cultivate, and people would die very quickly once they get older and cannot work as hard as they once could. These people need lots of children, and as such lots of wives, so they have someone to provide for them as they get older.

Environment has shaped what people are since day 1, and there's very little reason to lay it upon christianity. While I do concur that certain 'minor' things such as "5 day working weeks", throwing salt over your shoulder, crossing your fingers etc is due to christianity, you cannot claim that the key basics of our humanity such as caring for the life of others and monogamy are. I've now said this a good dozen times.. My problem is not with saying that christianity has influenced the western world, but with saying christianity has shaped the above.

The Christian worldview implies the moral, value, etc views of the Christian—as has been previously defined.

Previously defined? All I could find was "a christian is someone who regards himself as christian", which doesn't define anything. You went further to explain it's someone who believes in jesus, but what has that got to do with morals, values etc when people are individuals with individual morals, values etc?

Where is the source of this influence, and when? You said earlier it was the "people and their practices", but these differ from person to person and age to age. So tell me, what is this worldview? List it or something..

You cannot simply discount aspects of Christianity you disagree with and accept the ones you agree with. These viewpoints are not “human values” because they are not cross-cultural; they are values developed through the Christian faith.

Nonsense. There are, and have been, people all across the world who have been monogamous and have cared for human life - from before christianity was even a twinkle in it's fathers eye. Sure, some countries differ, but that is due to environment, as is our own morality concerning such things. As I said earlier, all you need to do is show that before these christian values were implemented, that the western world had no mongamy, and had no care for human life.

Simply because you do not accept Christ as the son of God or deny the existence of God does not mean that other values and morals shaped and developed through said religion ought not be attributed to the religion.

This has nothing to do with any gods, but merely that you try to claim such things as "caring for human life" and "monogamy" are christian introductions - but have nothing with which to support such a claim. The best you could manage was "the value of human life was nil - where human sacrifice was an intrinsic part of society", which is completely groundless - and requires more than your say so to be considered valid.

The notion of arrogance or an ego being immoral does in fact exist in this society. The moral or value does not imply one ought not be proud of their children, car, etc it says for example that narcissism is amoral. Do you disagree with arrogance, narcissism, etc having negative/immoral connotations within the society?

Well it's a completely personal opinion - not an all round worldview, and the level at which we judge these things is completely personal. Personally I see nothing immoral with narcissism, and I fail to see how the "christian worldview" could. They are the very first to state that a persons body is his temple - and this is just a small step from loving oneself. Of course though, in my profession I see all kinds of nutbags, so I'm not the type to really care about ego, arrogance etc.

Further to which, the majority of people I have spoken to, do imply that one should not be proud of their children/car etc - but that it is all by the hand of god/jesus - who should get the thanks. Again, your "moral" or "value" is a personal one.

The usage of hob does not imply a belief in goblin.

Which was my point. My usage of 'soul' does not imply belief in a soul. It was with reference to your "as an atheist you shouldn't be using that word". It doesn't matter what words I use, and I do not disagree about their origins, but there is no reason why I shouldn't be using them - and it doesn't mean that their usage implies belief in the thing. I use the word conscience a lot, but that does not imply belief in two guys sitting in my head.

Your argument is meaningless.

That's only because you failed to get the point, but then repeated what I said in your very first sentence with: "the usage of hob does not imply belief in goblins". That was the point, and as such you have no need to say "as an atheist you shouldn't be using that word".

It is not a question of roots; it is a question of their recognized definition(s) within the society.

To which I said it has no bearing on morality - and while I do not deny that these words have been given to us by others - it is completely irrelevant. It's such a minor thing it's not worth the mention. It's when you start claiming that "caring about human life" is a christian inception, that I start disagreeing.

How did you reach that conclusion? Where in the thread have you seen me lauding Christianity or talking about the ills that will affect society if Christianity did not exist? That is absurd, and again I think your hatred or whatever term you’d like to use, towards Christianity is affecting your understanding of the topic at hand. No, I am not picturing a world without Christianity fucking going kaput.

It was probably something to do with you saying "human values were nil - where human sacrifice was an intrinsic part of society", and then went on to say "..to the value of human life, etc etc you are looking at the workings of Christianity"

So you claim human values were nil, and mankind was going around performing human sacrifices etc, and then state clearly that the value of human life are workings of christianity, which implies that which you're now denying.

Are you sure about that? Do we need another history lesson?

Well I offered you a history debate, but your eyes magically became invisible to it. I am still eagerly waiting for you to show me your qualifications, so we can proceed. Seemingly however, you have opted to decline - but instead think it's of worth to just sit there trying to belittle someone even though you clearly haven't got the balls to stand up to the challenge.

Did I not within my example talk of the value of human life as a general, or empathy towards a human not part of the tribal entity? Please stop distorting what I say.

You said it wasn't natural, I said it was.. What's been distorted?

There is nothing natural about me caring or feeling empathetic at your death. I don’t know you.

The value of human life is, and always has been, still just as meaningful - but you obviously cannot care about someone you have no idea exists. The reason it's easier to care on a large scale nowadays is with the arrival of media, and other such things that bring the outside world in. This is not christianity, this is what humans are, and always have been. I don't care about a guy up the road I don't know, but if I had to see him get splattered, I would care. For some reason you seem to be claiming that christianity gave us this, when it is quite clearly natural to humans.

Are you this stupid, or do you think you get a freaking badge for “winning”?

You seem to be getting a little tense, and as much as that is your right, there's simply no need for it. After all, all I did was agree with you that monogamy was not natural to the species - which is why 3 out of 5 people has an affair. However, as I have tried to show, environment is the determining factor regarding this.

The same would be true of the animal kingdom, (of which we belong). Why do you think a dolphin is monogamous whereas a dog is not? It isn't something given by doctrine, but is shaped by environmental issues.

Taking your tone, I will repeat like I’m talking to the class idiot:

Ooh, such a bitter child.

Before Christianity, there was no such thing as monogamy in marriage within western society.

Again I must note the sudden inclusion of "within marriage". It discounts serial monogamy, it discounts neanderthals that revoled around a single breeding couple and so on.

In places where polygamy is allowed, conducted, and even encouraged, the overriding cause would be environmental.

"Polygamy as an institution continues in much of the developing world. It should be noted, however, that even where polygyny is allowed, it is less than commonly practised, as few men in such communities have the financial means at hand to support additional wives. It is usually observed in groups of people that have recently experienced war or famine - disasters which typically kill proportionally more men that women. The Anglican Church in Kenya for example, has semi-officially adapted a positive stance on polygamy, largely because of deficit of males in that country due to decades of war." - Source wikipedia

I am saying that Christianity has affected the worldview of the citizens of the western world, including atheists. What is so bloody hard to understand?

As I've now said 60,000 times.. I'm aware christianity has had its influences and impacts on western society. What I do have problem with is in regards to "caring about human life" and "monogamy", which have not been introduced by christianity, but for the first - natural, and for the second- environmental.

This country before Christianity??? Are you a moron? There was no USA when Christianity was nonsexist.

USA? I'm English you fool. Are you a moron???? What's with the insults?? You just go ahead and jump right in at the deep end without using your noodle first.

The origin inhabitants of this continent did not practice marital monogamy.

Admittedly my knowledge of the sexual practices of red indians is a bit limited. I'll have to check and get back to you.

Your statement was about how you valued Atheism over Christianity;

Eh? Atheism is merely a lack of belief in a god, and nothing else.. As such it plays no part in your debate and as such you can't say that atheist morals/values have been shaped by christianity - because aside from the fact we don't believe in god, we're all different. It's why I questioned your whole "atheist worldview", when they're completely personal other than they agree to one little detail - and not only based at the christian notion of god, but anyones - from hindus to ancient sumerians.

Guys,

I find myself in complete disagreement with the premise of this thread. Some things said here perturb me. One poster said (paraphrased) ;

Define this god that you dont believe in

If I cannot define a zangulator, so why do I imagine that it exists (or that it doesnt). In fact, this leads us to the conclusion that this whole premise is backwards. Obviously, this statement starts from the premise that somethng exists, now define it. Or, in the negative, you say it doesnt exist, so what are you saying doesn't exist ? There is a presumtion here, one that simply isn't necessary.

Obviously, if it doesn;t exist, then it is almost certain that I cannot accurately define it, I could only arbitrarily do so.

Like my zangulator, since I cannot define it in any way except arbitrarily, it therfore must NOT exist ! That is the whole problem. Personally, I suppose I am an agnostic deist of sorts. I think (I am not certain) that there might be something out there greater than ourselves , which designed this universe, or perhaps, simply initiated natural processes which then progressed to the universe we see now. I simply don't know. And, if this is the case (the deistic god who just set the universe into motion), the "god" doesn't give a hoot about a tiny insignificant planet in some remote galaxy, much less about what chemical entities might exist on it.

Strangely, I do find myself having some desire to think that there is some sort of god.
But, is that nothing more than societal conditioning, a learned meme ? Logically, it isnt necessary and only leads to other questions that have no clear answers. It seems that I would be creating all sorts of problems, when it is not necessary to do so.

In any case, it is precisely because I cannot define godt that I have a hard time believing in its existence. If I cant define it, then it probably either isn;t real, or it is a model that only helps me to understand that which I cannot by any other means. But, as we advance and discover those things which I didn;t undersntad before, I abandon the old model. It is no longer necessary.

The other statement that perturbed me went like this ;

Aetheists could not define a societal (or a societal structure by def), because of their belief in relative morality ?

<Fortuna bangs her head into nearby drywall>

The Aetheist firstly admits that since there must not be a god, then, the greatest entity we know of is us, the human race. I think that, the Atheist will conclude that relative to us, it is the human race that is important, and must be preserved. Thus, it stands to reason that atheism will ultimately lead us to secular humanism.
Secular humanism will lead to the golden rule. We are all humans, we are all of the same structure, perhaps after some strife and learning, we would accept that all humans are equal to all other humans, and all have the right to the best possible life that we can provide. Also, it is the preservation and advancement of the human race that is our collective moralistic duty. Thus, we have derived 2 principles based on 2 axioms ;

Axiom 1 - Humans are the most advanced form of life on earth we know
Axiom 2 - Any human life has equal value to another human life.

Principle 1 - The golden rule - Individually, we should treat other humans as we ourselves would be treated

Principle 2 - Collectively, our goal/moral is the survival and advancement of the human race.

As to the particulars of laws in our society, we have already learned many of them through sociology, and in some ways we will learn as we go, and adapt as technology affects these choices. But, I must admit, that it is in the particulars that we will find conflicts between the 2 principles listed above. Off the cuff, I would take some issues and try to apply these principles ;

1 - Is monogamy necessary ? I have to answer,"No" it is not. But some might prefer it. So let them be monogamous. Other options are not impossible. If a man wants several wives and can provide for them adequately, then why not ? If a woman wants to be with (or have children by) several different men, then why not ? (I would stipulate that both are responsible for the welfare of their offspring, this would have to be addressed.) I'll freely admit that the monogamous system carries the least administrative and legal overhead for society.

2 - Anti-Social behaviour - Even under this system, there are obviously be those who would violate our golden rule. Systems of laws, justice and penalty would have to be established.

Without any other examples, hopefully you see what I'm trying to express here. The Atheist would develop a humanist system of morality and law. Without a god, there is only man (that we are aware of)

Even further, our purpose under atheistic humanism is to preserve and develop humanity into the best it can be. Because of technology, we may develop the ability to actually control the evolution of our species and improve our conditions and mental capability. We may be able to extent individual lifespans to a virtually limitless time. We might even become or develop into the infinite beings that religion wants us to be. We might evne become the gods the theists dream of.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One more point about no Atheists in the ancient world. I seem to remember Cicero (though roman, not Greek) said a couple of things about gods and religions ;
- (about gods) "Publically, I believe in all of them, privately, I believe in none of them."
- (about religions) "..., and Governments find it useful" (paraphrased).

I also have to wonder why democracy developed in Athens ? Obviously, as their gods were fickle, the Athenians belived it was up to them to govern themselves. (No divine right of kings, or prophets (in the sense of telling their people the "will of god"), or any such nonsense.

As John Lenin said, "Imagine... "

Three brief notes.

First, thanks to our topic poster. I've wondered for a couple years whether this issue was visible to others.

Secondly, the part of this topic that shows atheism identifying against dictionary definitions seems rather quite ridiculous. It's difficult to be philosophical about such petty vagaries. Sciforums, once upon a time, disdained certain dictionary definitions. If a dictionary definition is what an atheist objects to, that atheist is clueless.

Lastly, atheists who are inclined to understand something about the nature of their religious neighbors need to drop a few extraneous barriers. Debate is an interesting way to gather knowledge, but what of the debate is "knowledge"? Okay, now I know that this person believes this. Does the debate produce anything as to why, or is a hard atheist left with the conclusion that it's pandering to fear or some other negative characterization? I recommend Russell's volumes on the Devil, Armstrong's A History of God, the works of Elaine Pagels (1, 2), and any reliable translation of "Ante-Nicene" or "Early Church Fathers" (e.g. Staniforth's Early Christian Writings) to comprise a basic starting point. I think atheists would be struck by the resemblance between Tertullian and modern American conservative political argumentation. The historical conditions within Western religion lending to the rise of atheism--"Whether God exists or does not exist, He has come to rank among the most sublime and useless truths," said Denis Diderot in the 18th century--will shed much light on morality within the spectrum of atheistic belief and identification. But I reiterate, it's only a starting point; all the debate you've had and will have will take on new context as you study--without the emotionally-driven clamor of advocates in your ear--the ideas and history that have gone into the religious currents against which atheism in the West has come to identify.

Back