Violence and Cruelty in the Book of Mormon

Duendy

I was a missionary once. Back in the 80's I served In Australia. I had a very good time and grew a lot. If you meet some Mormon missionaries invite them for dinner. They love eating. We send 19-year-old men and 21-year-old women out to preach the Gospel. Have you ever talked to sister missionaries? White shirts and ties and short haircuts for men, and conservative skirts and dresses for women are pretty much the uniform. When you get to know them you will find that they are the same as any young adults out there. They like to joke around and have fun, but they are there for a very serious purpose. Missions are good for people that age. It really sets a good tone for the rest of your life. I am very glad I had the opportunity. ;)

so thats how you get them to come in and have a proper conversation( offer something to eat)because usuelly they leave, after I bring my brother to the door. he's a half breed cherokee indian on my stepfathers side, 1 nephi 12:22-23 The Native Americans are the decedents of those "who dwindled in unbelief." As a punishment for their disbelief, their skin was darkened and they became "a filthy people, full of idleness and all manner of abominations." and when
I point out that hitler could have been a mormon, his idea of his Aryan race is written in 1 nephi 13:15 The Nephites were "white and exceedingly fair." and also in 1 nephi it says 1:19 The Jews were wicked, performed abominations, and killed prophets. so I then say you can understand, where his ideas came from, the book of mormon.
your book does have a lot of racism and intolerence in it.

Audible

You may interpret it that way but there are a lot of Native American, Hispanic, and Polynesian members of the church. In fact, half of all Mormons are in those three brackets. If the church taught racism I doubt that would be the case.

why have I never had a mormon, tell me this before then?.
and it does not mention hispanics and polynesian but it does mention indians and jews.
I did not say you taught racism, I said your book contains racism as does the king james bible.

Actually the Book of Mormon says nothing about Indians. It is about a family of Jews from Jerusalem who migrated by the direction of God to the American Continent. This happened about 600 years before Christ just before Jerusalem was destroyed and the Jews taken captive to Babylon. The Book of Mormon is about their journey and beliefs. They became a mighty nation on the American continent and split into two groups. One that believed in God and one that did not. According to the Book of Mormon this nation was later destroyed and their remnants scattered. They possibly could have been the forbearers of the American Indians. That is the widly held belief of many Mormons, but the truth is we do not really know what came of the people mentioned in the Book of Mormon. It is a matter of much speculation, but no one knows for sure.

Last edited:
dont be facetious, what are the Lamanites:

Definition: An ancient civilization that lived on the American continents. Their history is recorded in the Book of Mormon.

Pronunciation: [Lay-mun-i-ts] • (noun)

Also Known As: Ancient Americans

Examples: The Lamanites destroyed the Nephites around 400 A.D.

you can get this info from any encyclopedia or dictionary.

the nephites were the ones with white skins.

also Joseph Smith commonly referred to the Indians as Lamanites. When Joseph Smith sent Oliver Cowdery on a mission to the Indians, he said (speaking as god): "And now, behold, I say unto you that you shall go unto the Lamanites and preach my gospel unto them..." (D&C 28:8)

Last edited:
Audible

I am not being facetious. Lamanite is a generic term for all the indigenous people of the American continent. This includes Indians, as well as those that occupied central and South America. It also includes Polynesians as well. Now there are thousands of tribes and different sorts of peoples that populated this continent over the last couple of millennia. They all have different genetic markings. Not all of them came from the Book of Mormon people. In the Book of Mormon, when the Lamanites destroyed the Nephites they were scattered and of course mixed with all the other indigenous people. They assimilated into the various cultures depending where they were scattered. Now in the Book of Mormon it talks about the Niphites being of lighter skin and the Laminates being of darker skin. The Nephites were lighter because they did not mix into the various tribes that existed on this continent. They kept to themselves and were somewhat isolated. The Lamanites however mixed heavily with the darker skinned natives. They began to take on the beliefs and customs of the other native people and turned away from God. The curse was not that they had darker skin. It was because they were separated and set apart from God's people. Towards the end of the Book of Mormon it is the Lamanites that turned back to God and the remnants of the Nephites turned against God. That is the reason the Nephites were ultimately destroyed. The genetic markings of the original family that migrated from Jerusalem were destroyed along with them. Eventually even the few Lamanites that had turned to God died out and were not able to continue their traditions and beliefs and pass them onto the next generations. The final prophet Mormom compiled the history and beliefs of his people and wrote them upon gold plates. His son Moroni traveled all the way to what is now upstate New York and barried the plates. In 1820 the resurected Moroni appeared to Joseph Smith and showed him were to find the plates and translate them to english by the power of God so we would have The Book Of Mormon Today.

This is why they cannot find genetic markings among American Indians today. Anti-Mormons have tried to use that fact to try and disprove The Book of Mormon. The thing is, we do not know exactly were the Nephites lived, And we do not know absolutely for sure which Native American's today are descendants of the original lamanites. Any possible trace of a genetic marking would be stretched extremely thin after two thousand years.

Official Statement from LDS church Regarding Book of Mormon and DNA evidence:

http://www.lds.org/newsroom/mistakes/0,15331,3885-1-18078,00.html

Last edited:
Brutus1964 said:
Duendy

I was a missionary once. Back in the 80's I served In Australia. I had a very good time and grew a lot. If you meet some Mormon missionaries invite them for dinner. They love eating. We send 19-year-old men and 21-year-old women out to preach the Gospel. Have you ever talked to sister missionaries? White shirts and ties and short haircuts for men, and conservative skirts and dresses for women are pretty much the uniform. When you get to know them you will find that they are the same as any young adults out there. They like to joke around and have fun, but they are there for a very serious purpose. Missions are good for people that age. It really sets a good tone for the rest of your life. I am very glad I had the opportunity. ;)

I've talked with a couple of mormon missionaries. They were all right actually, polite, happy, seemed well balanced! and getting to go around the world is pretty cool. Course i think their mythical god and gold tablets are complete wacko but they were alright. :cool:

Quotes from http://ldsfaq.byu.edu/view.asp?q=162

Why is there suffering in the world?

Suffering is inherent in mortality. Physical bodies are subject to pain and discomfort. As a social being, man is vulnerable to emotional suffering. Among the sensitive, there are also other levels of profound suffering. Mankind's attempt to explain the necessity of suffering are varied. LDS doctrine provides two explanations that are uncommon in the Judeo-Christian tradition. First, all mankind chose to enter mortality with full knowledge of the great price that would be required of Christ and of discipleship in his name. Second, one's suffering is to be in the image of that of the Lord, who suffered so "that he [might] know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities" (Alma 7:12). For Latter-day Saints, Christ's mission and his gospel were intended to relieve needless pain and suffering. The gospel provides hope that through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, one may return to God. It also provides access to the Holy Ghost and establishes a community built on the kinship of supportive believers. Latter-day Saints do not believe that pain is intrinsically good. But when suffering is unavoidable in the fulfillment of life's missions, one's challenge is to draw upon all the resources of one's soul and endure faithfully and well. The effects of suffering depend on how one responds.
abstracted from Carlfred Broderick, "Suffering in the World," in Encyclopedia of Mormonism, ed. Daniel H. Ludlow, 4 vols. (New York: Macmillan, 1992), 3:1421-22.

The abstracts on this site have been prepared by BYU Studies staff and interns.

How do Latter-day Saints reconcile God's goodness and power with the evil and suffering evident in the world?
Traditional Christian theology asserts that all that exists was created ex nihilo (out of nothing) by God. The paradox follows that all forms of evil must be directly or indirectly God-made. In Latter-day Saint sources, however, God is not the only self-existent reality. There are principles of eternal law and elements that are coexistent with him. "Omnipotence," then, means God has all the power it is possible to have in the universe. He did not create evil. Another traditional view holds that there is no evil, simply misperceptions on the part of limited mortals. But Latter-day Saint scripture teaches unmistakably that such things as sin, deformity, disease, and death are real. Experiences of contrast, such as good and evil, are indispensable to knowledge and growth (2 Nephi 2; Doctrine and Covenants 122). Good can come out of the experience of evil to the degree that God's creatures harmonize their will with his. God's power is never "controlling" or "manipulating"; it is liberating, empowering, and persuading. LDS thought returns to the scriptural thesis that all mankind participated in the original plan of life. Rather than being "thrown" into the world, the entire human family elected to enter mortality in an act of faith and foresight.
abstracted from Truman G. Madsen, John Cobb Jr., "Theodicy," in Encyclopedia of Mormonism, ed. Daniel H. Ludlow, 4 vols. (New York: Macmillan, 1992), 4:1473–74.

The abstracts on this site have been prepared by BYU Studies staff and interns.

Back