Vibrating bed phenomenon

Magical Realist

Valued Senior Member
I was wandering about on the internet and came across what appears to be a new and seemingly common phenomenon--the sensation as you are lying in bed of your bed vibrating or shaking. I only mention it because I myself experience this quite often. It often lasts for maybe 2-3 minutes and then stops. At first I am scared it might be an earthquake. But there is never news of one the next day, Other times I swear I feel some creature squirming around inside my mattress! Here's a blog about this phenomenon and some rather amusing explanations for it. I don't know what it is, but the veil between dimensions seems to be growing thinner every year now.

Last edited:
This kind of hypnogogic hallucination is fairly common. But it also doesn't hurt to get a neurological exam, too - sensations of vibrating bed are also symptoms of Parkinson's or MS. Most likely it is the hypnogogic state. Or, haha, passing trucks.

I get these too, but usually just for a few seconds. I live in a part of the world where earthquakes are common, so that's usually my first thought too, but can be quickly ruled out by a hanging light that does not sway (It sways slightly even in minor quakes).

My guess is the heart doing weird shit. Uh oh! But I guess that wouldn't explain longer episodes of 2-3 mins like you describe.

Back