Vegetarians barred from adopting

lightgigantic

Banned
Banned
A vegetarian couple on the Greek island of Crete have been barred from adopting a child because of doubts about their diet, a local social welfare official said.

The decision was taken because the would-be adoptive parents, who have gone to court to overturn it, eat no meat or fish and officials feared this regimen would be applied to the child as well.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/03/11/3161113.htm

Someone please tell me I missing something about the Greek agricultural industry ....

Greece is the most currupt nation in Europe. The parents probably didnt bribe the welfare official enough, so they picked some spurious nonsense to deny them. Thats the only way to get anything done there.

brings up an interesting question could u raise a healty child feeding the no meat at all?... if so would it be safe for the child?

There is a difference between vegetarian and vegan. A vegetarian may permit such things as milk, cheese, and even eggs. Such a diet would be OK to raise a child on. However, a vegan does not permit any animal protein at all.

While a vegan diet can be healthy, it requires enormous pains in balancing. It is very common for vegans to be anemic, due to lack of iron, or to suffer from lack of vitamin B12, or lack of zinc, or calcium. I would not suggest it is a good thing to raise a child on a vegan diet. There have been cases before where such children have died, due to nutritional deficiency.

Skeptical is correct. I am aware of one such case resulting in the death of the child and i dont look into this stuff as a past time or profession.

Also, soy increases estrogen so i am assuming can make men more feminine-

Link: Soy appears to have some effects on estrogen levels in the body,

Soy appears to have some effects on estrogen levels in the body

The only reason i mention that is because dont be surprised to see more males with man boobs. Mind you, overall and if everyone were drinking it then may not be all that bad for a little more estorogen. Worse thing that can happen is men start curling up on their couches drinking Chamomeal tea whilst watching Lifetime, soap operas etc.

Last edited:
Two things... I wouldn't describe my effort to eat a complete diet as "enormous"...Otoh, since I had to lose a lot of weight, I now use a protein isolate mix daily.
All those beans made me fat, so I've cut back a bit.
I also take a vitamin for vegetarians-so extra cyanocobalamin, and take calcium, magnesium, and zinc on the side.

I put on 85 pounds on a vegan diet, so I guess you can gain weight on it :(.

I think I read about the child dying from the parents being "vegan." They neglected the baby, and used that as an excuse under interrogation. And it's just turned into this meme: "Oh, this baby died because its' parents tried to make it vegan."

As long as the baby's getting a diet with a lot of fat, a lot of green leafy veggies that are high in mineral content, plenty of good calories, maybe a vitamin/mineral supplement, and a complete protein array, they are ok.

I've read that phytoestrogens can actually act as weak estrogen counteractants. They get into the hormonal receptor "slots" and fill them up with a much weaker plant phytoestrogen, thus actually reducing the effect of estrogen.
This is how they reduce breast cancer incidence.

Gynecomastia is what you call manboobs, BTW. Pseudogynecomastia is related to obesity..fat puts out something called estrone, that's very similar to estrogen.

Here's a page that seems to be a bit more credible than linking a webforum...maybe:

http://www.uptodate.com/contents/patient-information-gynecomastia-breast-enlargement-in-men

Basically, you really have to eat a LOT of soy for it to have an effect, it's not that potent of a plant estrogen.

Personally, I could do with less estrogen. Estrogen isn't my fave hormone.

Chimpkin

Sure you could raise a healthy baby on a vegan diet. But it is not easy, and requires a painstaking approach. You cannot be relaxed and laid back about it. Getting all your nutritional requirements as a vegan is not easy.

This is why vegan fed babies have been known to die. A little bit of laxness, and they go downhill fast. It is much better to be less stringent and permit some animal protein.

If you're not breastfeeding the baby, I might agree...
But they do make infant formulas out of soy protein...probably pea protein as well b/c of soy allergies.
Breastfeeding is a really important thing to do period, and ideally a child should breastfeed at least partly until the age of 2...although I can see the logistics nightmare that represents for working moms.

From what little I'm skimming-it looks like the people who fed their babies a "vegan" diet and the baby died were (a) even more restrictive than vegan, or (b) did not use appropriate baby formula or (c) tried to feed one child a raw diet-which the child likely could not digest, because children can't properly digest that kind of unprocessed food.

You do have to be more careful to get your protein, but I think you're imagining that's a lot more difficult than it is.

Quite frankly, in the unlikely event of me reproducing, I'd probably go ahead and feed my child a little dairy-yogurt , along with lots of unhydrogenated nut butters, leafy greens, beans-including soy products, veggies, and a daily vitamin with extra cyanocobalamin (b-12 precursor) in it. Also use nutritional yeast in my cooking.

Chimpkin

There was a recent report - I think it was on Sciencedaily - on breast feeding research. The researchers found that breastfeeding after 6 months was actually counter productive in terms of the health of the baby. It appears that 6 months is the average time at which infants start grabbing solid food and putting it into their mouths. It may well be the proper age evolution has adapted infants for their first solid food.

Oh, not exclusive breastfeeding-only hunter-gatherers need to do that because of their very primitive diet...breastfeed just as supplementation, skin-to-skin contact, and diathelic immunity.

(The mother's body reads the pathogens in the baby's spit and makes antibodies that go into the mother's breastmilk. Pretty nifty.)

The more skin-to-skin contact an infant has, the bigger their brains are later on.

Hmmm. The greeks are right. Vegatarians should be banned from everything!!;)

Vegatarians
Paz-Vega.jpg

First name: Paz, last name: Vega.

There is a difference between vegetarian and vegan. A vegetarian may permit such things as milk, cheese, and even eggs. Such a diet would be OK to raise a child on. However, a vegan does not permit any animal protein at all. While a vegan diet can be healthy, it requires enormous pains in balancing. It is very common for vegans to be anemic, due to lack of iron, or to suffer from lack of vitamin B12, or lack of zinc, or calcium. I would not suggest it is a good thing to raise a child on a vegan diet. There have been cases before where such children have died, due to nutritional deficiency.
The nutritional requirement for vitamins and minerals has only been recognized and quantified in recent times. In the past, people only understood the need for protein and calories.

Homo sapiens is a predatory carnivore. A few million years of evolution was enough to adapt our metabolism from the grazing diet of the other apes to the meat-intensive diet of our ancestors who, first, used flint blades to scavenge the meat off the bones left by the predators, and later, used more sophisticated weapons and tools to become full-time carnivores, and later, used even better technology to become the planet's apex predator who eats both bears and sharks. But a few thousand years of evolution since the Agricultural Revolution has most assuredly not been enough to readapt our predator's metabolism to a grain-based diet.

For starters, grains are completely inedible unless they are cooked, because the cellulose in which the protein is enclosed cannot be efficiently broken down by acids and enzymes. Animals that eat cellulose "cheat" by having a huge bacterial culture that digests the cellulose for them--and an enormous belly to accommodate the process.

As the Neolithic Era of agricultural villages transitioned into the first Stone Age cities and then the Bronze Age and then the Iron Age, the human population became so large and dense that there wasn't enough room to dedicate land to growing food to feed to livestock--an extremely resource-inefficient way of life. So people began subsisting on grain, and only the rich and powerful could eat meat on a regular basis.

As a result, in the Roman Era, the life expectancy of an adult who had successfully survived the ravages of childhood was only about 25 years. This contrasts with the meat-eating hunter-gatherers of the Paleolithic Era, whose surviving adults had a life expectancy of around 50.

It becomes much easier to fulfill the human nutritional requirements by adding modest quantities of eggs and/or milk products to the daily diet. Raising livestock for dairy is a tenfold increase in resource efficiency over raising them for their meat. Not just cows but goats, sheep, yaks, even horses and camels. But not llamas, they barely produce enough milk to feed their babies and the poor Incas had to develop a civilization without milk. If you know anyone who's tried to milk an elephant, please tell us how that worked out.

Raising chickens/geese/ducks/whatever for eggs is also more resource-efficient than raising them for their meat.

To subsist on an ovo-lacto-vegetarian diet (animal tissue is allowed so long as it does not require killing the animal) is relatively easy, because milk and eggs contain the vitamins and minerals we need. To subsist on a vegan diet (no animal tissue at all) is very difficult. Tens of millions of Roman citizens died in their twenties, trying to make that experiment work.

Let's learn from their deaths, so they won't have died in vain.

Note: In the twelve thousand years since the Agricultural Revolution, dogs, with their six-month breeding cycle, have gone through about twenty thousand generations compared to a few hundred for humans. They have had enough time to adapt from hunters to scavengers. Their brains are smaller than wolf brains so they don't need as much protein in their diet as their ancestors.

Back