Vegetarianism Based On Animal Rights

Lucysnow,

Recall where this thread started:

What is your opinion on people becoming vegetarian/vegan because they take an active against animal cruelty? Is it ignorant in your opinion or logical?

The very first reply:

scifes said:
illogical.
some animals exist to be eaten.

and a few posts later:

Norsefire said:
It's a flawed position. [snip]

These reponses don't sound much like "live and let live" to me. They sound like defensive meat eaters having the usual knee-jerk response.

Nature doesn’t require us to drive vehicles either.

Correct. We need to consider the moral implications of driving vehicles, if there are any, and decide whether, given the pros and cons, it is something we ought to be doing.

Humans have a long history of eating meat it doesn’t have a long history of strict vegetarianism.

So your argument is that eating meat is ok because it's traditional.

Humans have a long history of human sacrifice and of persecuting witches, too. I wonder why we stopped.

You say that I have to appreciate that what I eat may be morally questionable but have offered me no arguments outside that its what your personal bias on how it is morally questionable.

Maybe it's time you read my excellent article on [enc]equal consideration[/enc] and [enc]intrinsic value[/enc].

Humans are at the top of the food chain Tiassa, we don’t need moral reasons to support eating other animals.

Sure we do. If you can't justify your actions then you risk acting immorally without even knowing it.

Since when was the default moral position "It's ok to kill and eat other conscious beings?" You don't approve of that for human beings, so why the double standard? Convenience? Because you like eating animals?

Oh, and being "top of the food chain" is not a fact from which you can derive moral acceptability. Being able to do something does not make it right.

An Inuit need not justify hunting fish for food and I don’t have to justify eating fish or meat even if I don’t hunt the food myself. What we would have to justify is depleting a particular resource but so far there has been no shortages of chicken or beef.

The question of bringing animals into existence for the sole purpose of killing and eating them is yet another morally worrying area.

JR: Such blanket statements are silly. If I killed a human baby because I was hungry, you're asking me to believe that you'd have no problem with that. I'm not buying it.

Well I could say your example is silly as this is not a discussion about eating others from our own species.

It is very much about that. I'm asking you why you have a double standard. You apply one standard to human beings: "Never eat another human being." Yet you apply a completely different standard to, say, cows: "Eat a cow whenever you feel like it, and don't worry about it. Enjoy yourself!" What's the morally relevant difference between the two cases?

From where do you glean that it is wrong to eat from sentient beings that are not of our species?

From the principle of [enc]equal consideration[/enc].

Where do you glean that it is acceptable to eat from sentient beings that are not from our species?

Most of the world would agree with me that it is perfectly acceptable to eat other animals.

And if most of the world jumped off a cliff, you'd be right there in the mob, I'm sure.

But it wouldn’t make any difference. There are people who eat snails and frogs and though it be cooked it looks unmistakably like a snail and a frog. Have you ever seen tongue at the market? Well it looks just like a tongue. Pig brain? Looks like a tiny brain.

Let's just drop this. It's irrelevant. My argument against eating meat is not based on how it looks or what it is called. Let's stick to the main point.

You are reading into things. I am not being defensive, I have thought about it and have even eaten an exclusive vegetarian diet for a short while but it did not impress me as far as a way of life.

On what basis did you eat an exclusive vegetarian diet for a while? Not for any moral reason, I assume.

You think you are a moral person for not eating meat and I do not think of vegetarians as being more moral, I just think of them as people who don’t eat meat. I don’t see any moral flaw in eating meat so why would I think anyone would need to justify it? I answer in the same way on the abortion issue. I don’t think its immoral to abort a child so why would I need to justify it to anyone?

I wonder why you're spending so much time in this thread, then. Strange when you're entirely comfortable that I'm wrong and my ideas are too crazy to take seriously. Aren't you wasting your time on an unimportant issue?

I see no correlation at all between women voting and vegetarianism. When people first began hearing about the treatment of animals in breeding factories the response was not to stop eating meat the response was to seek meat that had been raised in better conditions.

Nobody stops eating meat on hearing about factory farms? Thanks for letting me know, Lucysnow.

Guilty meat eaters? You’re really too much James I have never and will never feel guilty about eating meat, I have seen animals slaughtered in Cambodia and it hasn’t put me off eating meat.

Obviously. You don't think there's a moral issue - or you refuse to see the moral issue.

Those who wish to not eat meat are welcome to not eat meat, it doesn’t bother me one way or the other. It seems you are the one who feels they need to justify being a vegetarian, I have asked for no such justification neither have I ever heard of a meat eater complain about vegetarianism nor speak ill of them.

All I'm doing here is explaining why vegetarianism is the more moral option - i.e. answering the question of the thread.

Not a matter of pride?

Right. It's just a matter of doing the right thing. Being proud about doing the right thing is a separate issue. Many moral philosophers have frowned on that, as it happens.

James did you check out the link in post #79? I think you will find it interesting.

So you because Norse and Scifes think vegetarianism is flawed you understand all meat eaters to think it flawed? I think its safe out there James meat eaters don’t spent too much time thinking about vegetarians.

JR: So your argument is that eating meat is ok because it's traditional. Humans have a long history of human sacrifice and of persecuting witches, too. I wonder why we stopped.

Just because its traditional doesn’t mean that we should ‘throw out the chicken with the chicken-feed.’ (sorry I couldn’t help myself). Traditions are not always bad are they? I don’t think human sacrifice or witch burning to be the same as animal sacrifice or bbq chicken. Also both of those practices have not lasted as long as meat eating has it? I guess meat eating must hold some value for human beings.

JR: Maybe it's time you read my excellent article on equal consideration and intrinsic value.

Animals do not have any rights and neither would humans save the rights we give ourselves as a society. You still haven’t given me any reasons why eating meat is morally questionable outside that its how you ‘feel’.

JR: Since when was the default moral position "It's ok to kill and eat other conscious beings?" You don't approve of that for human beings, so why the double standard? Convenience? Because you like eating animals?
Oh, and being "top of the food chain" is not a fact from which you can derive moral acceptability. Being able to do something does not make it right.

Well first of all there are circumstances that I do agree with it. I agree with abortion, I think its okay to kill in times of war, I even think the death penalty is warranted in certain situations. Being able to do something doesn’t make it right but you have yet to give me any reason to think it wrong.

JR: The question of bringing animals into existence for the sole purpose of killing and eating them is yet another morally worrying area.

Why are you worried about it James you don’t eat meat?

JR: I'm asking you why you have a double standard. You apply one standard to human beings: "Never eat another human being." Yet you apply a completely different standard to, say, cows: "Eat a cow whenever you feel like it, and don't worry about it. Enjoy yourself!" What's the morally relevant difference between the two cases?

Life is full of double standards. I apply one standard for my own species yes I do but you mistake my reasons why. I would say its wrong to eat of ones species because we would have to put other human lives at risk, (I have no such concern for other species). There is no evidence that humans have a natural desire to eat from human meat, much like many animals don’t eat of their own species but still there are some exceptions as in chimps but even that is considered aberrant behaviour in chimps from what I understand. Having said that there are circumstances where people have to eat humans to survive like during the siege of Leningrad then I see a certain necessity to have to eat of ones species. In the case of Exocannibalism in traditional societies I consider that something of their own affair, I mean its not that they regularly eat humans as a mainstay for their diet they do so as part of war ritual and happens a lot less often than may would like to believe. In the case of Armin Meiwes who ate a willing partner who offered himself up as dinner, I say its a bizarre aberration in behavior to be sure but he didn’t hunt and kill his victim so he isn’t the normal predator placing people at risk he killed only one person and that was a person who was willing. In short he asked. I see my own species as a part of nature but being human I place more value on my own species than say that of bovine creatures. My concern would be for the balance in nature not the preservation of all life at all costs.

JR: Where do you glean that it is acceptable to eat from sentient beings that are not from our species?

There is no Declaration of animal rights when it comes to preserving their lives against human consumption and I don’t think there will ever be. Animals do not have any rights against a human predator save what we humans decide to give the animal. We try to save certain animals in the interest of not depleting the species and that is all. In Africa you can go to an animal reserve where they protect elephants for example but you would find gazelle in the reserve restaurant were they serve wild game. I find it acceptable simply because I do not find the life of chickens equal to the life of humans nor does it hold the same value.

JR: And if most of the world jumped off a cliff, you'd be right there in the mob, I'm sure.

They call it bungee jumping.

JR: On what basis did you eat an exclusive vegetarian diet for a while? Not for any moral reason, I assume.

Well I stayed at a ranch where they practices Vedanta, meditation, yoga etc. And of course they were strictly vegetarian and were so for religious reasons. They believed that killing an animal was equivalent to killing a human so I guess you could say they didn’t eat meat for moral reasons. I was there for six months and ate vegetarian meals which were good but it never impressed me enough to give up fish and meat.

JR: Nobody stops eating meat on hearing about factory farms? Thanks for letting me know, Lucysnow.

Some do many do not as there are alternatives to factory farm meat. It isn’t necessary to give up eating meat because of factory farms if there are alternatives.

JR: You don't think there's a moral issue - or you refuse to see the moral issue.

I don’t see it as a moral issue, I understand that you think it is, fine. I understand that you feel you are doing the right thing, that’s also fine, I just don’t think I am doing the ‘wrong’ thing.

By the way James how do you feel about hunting deer? For example in certain areas they allow deer hunting to cull the groups because so many of them die of starvation during the winter. Do you think it is ok to hunt them? Or is it better to let them starve?

Lucysnow:

James did you check out the link in post #79? I think you will find it interesting.

I haven't yet, but I will take a look.

JR: So your argument is that eating meat is ok because it's traditional. Humans have a long history of human sacrifice and of persecuting witches, too. I wonder why we stopped.

Just because its traditional doesn’t mean that we should ‘throw out the chicken with the chicken-feed.’ (sorry I couldn’t help myself). Traditions are not always bad are they?

No, but meat eating is a bad tradition. It's immoral, as I have explained. So is slavery, which is a comparable tradition.

I guess meat eating must hold some value for human beings.

The fact that (some) people enjoy committing immoral acts isn't an argument in favour of those acts, Lucysnow.

Animals do not have any rights and neither would humans save the rights we give ourselves as a society.

You're arguing from tradition again. You say that because we have never properly recognised animal rights in the past, we shouldn't do that now either. You would have made the same argument back when people dared to suggest that slavery might be immoral or that women ought to be allowed to vote, I suppose.

You still haven’t given me any reasons why eating meat is morally questionable outside that its how you ‘feel’.

It's not my fault if you refuse to read my lengthy and informative explanation. Denial doesn't help, Lucysnow. We might as well stop talking if you refuse to consider the arguments I have made. Here's the link one more time. I suggest you have a proper go at refuting my actual argument, rather than beating around the bush. (link: [enc]equal consideration[/enc]).

JR: Since when was the default moral position "It's ok to kill and eat other conscious beings?" You don't approve of that for human beings, so why the double standard? Convenience? Because you like eating animals?

Well first of all there are circumstances that I do agree with it. I agree with abortion, I think its okay to kill in times of war, I even think the death penalty is warranted in certain situations. Being able to do something doesn’t make it right but you have yet to give me any reason to think it wrong.

It's disingenuous to nominate the odd exception and not address the main point. Except in very rare cases, you do not approve of killing human beings. And I take it that you NEVER approve of killing them just to eat them. And yet your position is completely different when it comes to non-human animals. That's just speciesism, pure and simple. Speciesism is not a relevant moral factor, any more than sexism or racism is.

JR: The question of bringing animals into existence for the sole purpose of killing and eating them is yet another morally worrying area.

Why are you worried about it James you don’t eat meat?

I worry about it because I believe those animals have [enc]intrinsic value[/enc]. You do not, so you probably can't even work out what I'm going on about. It just doesn't occur to you that an animal's wishes or desires or thoughts or feelings could ever be relevant to human actions.

I apply one standard for my own species yes I do but you mistake my reasons why. I would say its wrong to eat of ones species because we would have to put other human lives at risk, (I have no such concern for other species).

Self-interest again, then? You're worried not about killing people to eat, per se, but only about the negative effect it might have if people had to live in fear of being killed and eaten. When it comes to animals, though, the double standard comes into play again. An animal's fears or desires are not relevant, especially if you're feeling peckish.

There is no evidence that humans have a natural desire to eat from human meat...

Are you arguing now that all our "natural desires" ought to be catered for? Some people have a "natural desire" to rape other people. Does that make it ok? Human beings, it seems, have a "natural desire" to commit all kinds of immoral acts. Does that make them right?

Having said that there are circumstances where people have to eat humans to survive like during the siege of Leningrad then I see a certain necessity to have to eat of ones species. In the case of Exocannibalism in traditional societies I consider that something of their own affair, I mean its not that they regularly eat humans as a mainstay for their diet they do so as part of war ritual and happens a lot less often than may would like to believe. In the case of Armin Meiwes who ate a willing partner who offered himself up as dinner, I say its a bizarre aberration in behavior to be sure but he didn’t hunt and kill his victim so he isn’t the normal predator placing people at risk he killed only one person and that was a person who was willing. In short he asked.

You can surely see that all of these things are distractions to avoid facing the issues head on. People are not under seige every day. People offering to be cannibalised is very rare indeed. But large numbers of people eat large amount of cow and sheep and chicken every day of their lives and consider it quite normal. So, enough of the tangents. Let's actually discuss the topic.

I see my own species as a part of nature but being human I place more value on my own species than say that of bovine creatures.

Is there some kind of sliding scale, then, or is it just humans on one side and everything else on the other? Should a cow have any rights at all? If so, should it have more rights than a mouse, say? What about a mosquito? Or are all non-human creatures equally worthy of having no consideration paid to them as other than resources for exploitation by humans?

My concern would be for the balance in nature not the preservation of all life at all costs.

I note that I have never mentioned preservation of life at all costs. This is an attempt to erect a straw man.

Animals do not have any rights against a human predator save what we humans decide to give the animal.

Yes.

We try to save certain animals in the interest of not depleting the species and that is all.

Why worry about depleting species? What's the value in an animal?

I find it acceptable simply because I do not find the life of chickens equal to the life of humans nor does it hold the same value.

Have you ever considered that a chicken's life need not hold equal value to a human's life in order to justify not eating the chicken? All it needs is a minimum value above a certain threshold.

You talk as if there's human value, then everything else that is valueless except in terms of its value as a resource for human use.

JR: On what basis did you eat an exclusive vegetarian diet for a while? Not for any moral reason, I assume.

Well I stayed at a ranch where they practices Vedanta, meditation, yoga etc. And of course they were strictly vegetarian and were so for religious reasons. They believed that killing an animal was equivalent to killing a human so I guess you could say they didn’t eat meat for moral reasons. I was there for six months and ate vegetarian meals which were good but it never impressed me enough to give up fish and meat.

In other words, you never really understood why they were vegetarian, and you didn't make an effort to find out.

Some do many do not as there are alternatives to factory farm meat. It isn’t necessary to give up eating meat because of factory farms if there are alternatives.

Do you, personally, seek out non-factory farmed meat, Lucysnow? Or do you not worry about where your meat comes from? Do you have issues with factory farming? If so, what are they? It's hard for me to see how you could consider factory farming to be a problem.

By the way James how do you feel about hunting deer? For example in certain areas they allow deer hunting to cull the groups because so many of them die of starvation during the winter. Do you think it is ok to hunt them? Or is it better to let them starve?

Why do they die of starvation during winter? It sounds to me like there is an overpopulation of these deer. Why is that? Is it due to human activity?

What I'm wondering is whether human beings are having to cull these deer because of a problem that they (the human beings) created in the first place. If so, I'd say the problem really ought to be fixed at its root, rather than the patch-job of mopping up the mess as best you can without ever addressing the core problem.

(James)
...vegetarianism is the more moral option...

(Pasture Timmy)
That agrees wit my personal morals... but the way to go is to educate people about the treetment of animals an make beter laws on treetin animals mor humainly... not to argue that you'r morals are the only corect morals as if they cam strate from a all-knowin God.!!!

From the way you have argued wit Norsfire (smart-azz an twstin what he said) about this serous subject... i woud guess you to be little mor than 14 year old.!!!

Why do they die of starvation during winter? It sounds to me like there is an overpopulation of these deer. Why is that? Is it due to human activity?

What I'm wondering is whether human beings are having to cull these deer because of a problem that they (the human beings) created in the first place. If so, I'd say the problem really ought to be fixed at its root, rather than the patch-job of mopping up the mess as best you can without ever addressing the core problem.

Yes they are overpopulated in upstate NY but I am not sure why. They starve in the winter because there isn't enough food for them and so they allow limited hunting.

I found this article. Evidently there aren't enough hunters to keep the population down.

"Man is now a deer's most-feared predator, but the number of hunters is declining, especially among teen-agers who today have more options to fill their time.

Today's high deer population may shape how the country's forests look decades from now. The animals are reducing the number of trees and seedlings and affecting which species will survive, forestry experts say.

In the 14,000-acre Letchworth State Park in western New York, a 1,200-acre "safety area" for recreation where hunting is forbidden has seen vast damage from overbrowsing by deer.

"There are no saplings, no underbrush for ground-nesting birds," said Richard Parker, regional director of the Genesee State Park Region. "There will be no regeneration of the forest. In 40 to 50 years, as the current forest dies, there will be nothing to replace it."

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/general/news/story?page=c_fea_deer_NY_overpopulations-woes_wire

Interesting article. Let me know what you think. I will go and answer your other post.

Recall where this thread started:
The very first reply:
and a few posts later:

These reponses don't sound much like "live and let live" to me. They sound like defensive meat eaters having the usual knee-jerk response.
Actually, I don't need to justify my meat-eating. I'm defending it because you're attacking it, calling it "immoral" and ignoring the obvious reality: animals eat other animals. It's simply the way our food web works; we eat everything. And other animals eat certain other animals; we're just on top, you see?

Nobody stops eating meat on hearing about factory farms? Thanks for letting me know, Lucysnow.

Plenty of people do; but you can oppose factory farming and not oppose eating meat. The latter is absurd. I don't care if you're a vegetarian if you just don't like meat; that's fine. There's foods I don't like and so I won't touch. But don't call it immoral, because it's not, and your morality is not any better than the morality of the overwhelming majority in favor of meat eating.

Norsefire:

You keep telling me what you find moral or immoral, but you never given reasons. Is it that your moral position is just based on your desires from moment to moment, or on "gut feelings", and nothing better than that? If so, I don't know how you hope to convince anybody else that your position is right in a moral argument. All you have to offer is "I think this is what's right, but I have no good reason why I think that."
Of course I do. My position is that human well-being and comfort is the goal; therefore, all that furthers human well-being and comfort is good. It could be argued that establishing factory farms for human meat could, in theory, further the well-being and comfort of human beings...but doing so also results in the suffering of some human beings when entirely unnecessary as there are other species to eat, that are eaten anyway.

I mean, seriously, if we're not eating cattle, they're still going to be eaten by something.

They (cows) are harmed by it.
Right, but I don't care about the cows; and living things are harmed all the time. This is food, and food is not wrong. We're simply at the top of the chain.

food%20chain.JPG

There's a food web; it even has the egotistical bears! Humans are the highest predators, though, even though they're not on this web.

But you said we did. Ok, you've changed your mind again. It's hard when you're so inconsistent, changing your opinions from second to second.
No, I said we did care, not that we did have to. We don't have to do anything. Humans just tend to care about one another, in the interest of human survival and well-being.

Why wouldn't you want him to eat your mother? If he's hungry and you have no problem with cannibalism...

As for her will, do you think that what a being wants is relevant when it comes to eating it? Or is it only relevant when it's your mother?
It's relevant when it's a human. Respect for human life is a foundation of human rights, therefore it is important to uphold a respect for human life; respecting human life, however, doesn't mean we must worship other creatures.

Of course, "respect for human life" is, in my opinion, only important under certain circumstances (for instance, it isn't necessary when executing a criminal, because they forfeit their rights).

Why is what a cow wants not relevant when you want to eat it, and yet what your mother wants is relevant when somebody wants to eat her? Aren't you being inconsistent again?
No, see above. It is arbitrary; but it's drawn on a clear distinction: they're not human.

In other words, you can't give any good reason for why you give human beings special treatment over other species. You just do. That's a fairly poor basis for a moral position, don't you think?
I give them special treatment because they're members of my species and their well-being is tied to mine. The well-being of cattle is not.

Do 1 week old human children have personhood?
Not on the same level that you or I have as developed adults.

If you think they do, then explain to me what feature gives them personhood that a 3 year old cow does not have.
3 year old human children probably have greater intelligence and consciousness than 3 year old cows anyway, but again this is irrelevant; the 3 year old human is HUMAN!

Does a bear mother care more about her bear children or the children of cattle?

So if a cow doesn't volunteer to be eaten, you won't eat it? Or does your voluntary thing only apply to humans?
Only to humans; cows cannot "volunteer" to do anything, they lack the capacity.

Rubbish. Omitting to do something can be just as harmful (or more harmful) than doing something.
Again you make a mistake: omitting means deleting. Deleting is an affirmative action; I'm talking about a non-action, not doing anything. There is no result of a non-action. Animal experimentation is unnecessary; not doing the experimentation doesn't result in losing knowledge, it results in not gaining knowledge. However, it is still unnecessary and thus always wrong.

A cannibal is able to kill and eat your mother, and it would provide him with sustenance, so I don't see why you have any problems with that.
His interests conflict with mine; therefore, as the majority is on my side, I will defend my interests as such. The interests of cattle conflict with ours; therefore, we will use our superior intelligence to make our interests come first.

Actually, I said we can discuss roaches later, once we've sorted out the livestock issue. The reason is that the sentience and consciousness of roaches is more questionable than that of, say, cows.
Roaches feel pain; roaches want to live. Therefore killing them is wrong... is basically what you are saying...

Your talk of value to us is begging the question - assuming they have no value because you assume they have no value. That's a circular argument - useless.
I don't assume anything. Value is not objective; things only have value if we give them value. A diamond's value is not objective; in a desert, one might find a cup of water more valuable than a diamond.

As for egos, culture, the capacity to understand the concept of self, etc., infant human children don't have any of those things, but I don't see you advocating factory farms for children. Why not?
Why eat [and harm] humans when all humans can be comfortable and just eat other species? We're predators. Why won't bear mothers eat their children? They can eat other creatures seeing as they are predators! You see?

Oh? How do you know that I am self aware in the same way you are? In fact, how do you know that any other human being is self aware in the same way you are?
I don't, but then you're defeating both of our arguments. If we don't know anything, why even bother discussing this? The difference between you and cattle, however, is that you are intelligent and are able to communicate your self-awareness.

I disagree. Have you ever owned a dog or a cat?
I'd guess they are more intelligent than chickens. And yes, in Syria I had two cats, I had chicks (pets, not food), I had goldfish (by the way, is eating fish immoral?)
Are you really expecting me to believe that it did not have a sense of itself as a unique individual?
We're not even discussing livestock; and at any rate, no, not to the extent that human beings have. For instance, they cannot contemplate their own deaths; this is central to humanity as this is a basis for much religion and literature. We can imagine life after life because we understand that we die. Why? Because we are self-aware, and aware of time, and aware of our environments. For a sense of self, all of these things are important.

This is an argument for another thread. Clearly the objective aspects of morals have not yet got through to you.
Yes they have, and we've discussed this to death; there are influences on morals, but ultimately morals can be interpreted and subjected in many ways and thus are subjective.

We can work on your problem in a different thread.
The recognition of truth is a problem?

Human beings do not need to eat meat to survive.
Neither do bears. We don't need TV's to survive either; by making TV's, we're diverting resources and thus likely something will die as a result. Actually, that could be better applied to paper, and wood.

Try to keep up. I did not claim that people could never become nudists or cultists. You did claim that people could never become vegetarian.
No, I said that I find it unlikely that society will ever become vegetarian in a majority.

Do you think human slavery is acceptable, then?
No, because the well-being of humans is important to me.

Why? You keep saying this, but its just empty opinion. If you have no reason for your point of view, then why should anybody listen to you?
If humanity is better off as a whole, the chances for survival and comfort for the individual improve; humanity being better off as a whole is important. Therefore we must pursue this goal.

I'm not sure what you're saying here. Are you saying human beings have no moral status?
What does this mean? Human beings among human beings have a mechanism called morality that influences human interaction.

Human beings, to wolves, are tasty treats.

Human beings, to chickens, are predators and the chickens are tasty treats.

You use the word "arbitrarily" twice here. An arbitrary choice is no ground for a moral system when there are better principles on offer (such as the principle of equal consideration).
Why are your principles better?

Your position is what is called "speciesism". Like sexism and racism, it is not a position arrived at by reason, but purely by self interest and unthinking prejudice.
This is ridiculous! You're talking about a different species, for Pete's sake! And not even an intelligent one!

You're splitting hairs. We could argue on the question of "what is consciousness?" in another thread if you like.
However the answer to that question is relevant.
You think plants want things, do you? How about a cow, then? Could it want not to be killed and eaten, do you think?
If it understood that concept. Cows don't know they're going to be killed and eaten, for one.

Secondly, ok, so if you're right and it's immoral, then SO IS eating plants! It doesn't matter if they feel pain or not, because they're alive and all life wants to keep living.

Lastly, if pain is all that is in your assesment of whether or not meat-eating is moral, then as I said we can keep the animals in an unconscious state, or put them on free range farms where they can be free and when the time comes we can give them a painless death.

I disagree completely. And I doubt you've gone looking for any evidence, because finding some would be far too inconvenient for you. It would challenge your ready assumptions and prejudices.
What other species are aware of their own mortality, or contemplate an afterlife?

cluelusshusbund said:
That agrees wit my personal morals... but the way to go is to educate people about the treetment of animals an make beter laws on treetin animals mor humainly... not to argue that you'r morals are the only corect morals as if they cam strate from a all-knowin God.!!!

On what basis should I argue for better laws? Why should we worry about treating animals humanely?

Also, isn't there a disconnect between saying you want to treat animals humanely at the same time that you chow down on a juicy steak?

From the way you have argued wit Norsfire (smart-azz an twstin what he said) about this serous subject... i woud guess you to be little mor than 14 year old.!!!

You think I twisted his words? Where, exactly? Maybe you can explain what his argument is, so I can understand it better.

I think James is one of the most intelligent members here, but I don't understand his idea that eating meat is immoral. It isn't!

James

JR: You're arguing from tradition again. You say that because we have never properly recognized animal rights in the past, we shouldn't do that now either. You would have made the same argument back when people dared to suggest that slavery might be immoral or that women ought to be allowed to vote, I suppose.

No I do not think that I would, I have a strong sense of justice yet I still do not see slavery and the suffrage movement equivalent saving all animals from the food chain. You say that eating meat is immoral and this is a fact but it isn’t a fact its just how you feel about the issue. There are people who feel the same way about abortion.

I read your piece on equal consideration and its application towards all sentient beings but again I have to disagree. Just because they are sentient doesn’t mean they should have equal consideration. You expect animals to have the same rights as a man but it doesn’t. For example are suggesting that a horse should not be used for riding? Or that an ox should not be used to plow the earth? Animals do not even recognize these right you would like to confer on them, they cannot understand it, appreciate nor take advantage of it, what you suggest is a higher animal take them into consideration, this is something that could not be said for slaves or for women denied the right to vote. Remember Wallace and ‘Consider the Lobster’ ? Well he goes and makes a case for the sentience of lobsters and therefore it is inhumane to keep them in lit tanks, to boil them in hot water etc.
What you are suggesting is that the life of a human being is equivalent to the life of a human being and I completely disagree with this proposition. What’s next bees? Mosquitoes?

JR: I take it that you NEVER approve of killing them just to eat them. And yet your position is completely different when it comes to non-human animals. That's just speciesism, pure and simple. Speciesism is not a relevant moral factor, any more than sexism or racism is.

Well I showed you examples where it would be appropriate to eat another human for survival but really we have no desire to eat other humans its a very rare thing indeed. Yes my position is completely different when it comes to non-humans, I do not recognize an animals life as being equivalent to that of a human being. I do not think animals should be exploited til extinction nor do I think Elephants should be robbed of their tusks or gorillas hands cut off to make ashtrays as this wastes the species. I do think animals need protection as far as their environment etc but I do not think we can say that animals that are utilized for food should somehow now be recognized as animals with legal rights. Humans are stewards of the environment at this point, bad ones at that but this is our role now and we have to be responsible but this doesn’t mean protecting cows from being eaten. Cows are not in danger of extinction.
JR: I worry about it because I believe those animals have intrinsic value. You do not, so you probably can't even work out what I'm going on about. It just doesn't occur to you that an animal's wishes or desires or thoughts or feelings could ever be relevant to human actions.

Well I believe that all life has value James but the reality of life is that things have to die in the interest of other animals, all of nature works in this way or there is imbalance. When we leave cats out in the elements they reproduce make too many other cats and then starve, yet we cannot take care of all the cats as far as having them in homes etc. So we have to make sure we spade our animals and sometimes even to keep our pets in the house we remove their claws, insert tracking devices under their skin etc. If they have intrinsic value and are worthy of equal consideration this treatment would be liken to keeping a house-slave would it not? I mean what right do we have to spade an animal and cut off their claws? This reasoning of yours leads to absurdity as far as how much rights are conferred towards an animal. Animals fears and desires are not relevant since you cannot be quite sure what those fears and desires are. A dog may desire to attack all other animals in the area but we take the right to muzzle it if it so dares. We do not kill a human being who contracts rabies but we do this with animals. What about rats? Rats are very intelligent sentient beings but we consider them a pest and would readily use means to deter and destroy such pests. Are you suggesting that we look at rats and recognize their intrinsic value and give them equal consideration? Its absurd. If I have your ideas wrong feel free to correct me.

JR: Do you, personally, seek out non-factory farmed meat, Lucysnow? Or do you not worry about where your meat comes from? Do you have issues with factory farming? If so, what are they? It's hard for me to see how you could consider factory farming to be a problem.

Mostly but not always. When I am in Cambodia I never worry about where my food comes from because I know, in NY I shop at Whole Foods or Trader Joes and there again I don’t have to worry about where it comes from. I prefer to stay away from factory farmed animals since they are pumped with a lot of hormones and are artificially large and actually tasteless compared to ‘free range’ meats. Why would you want to eat an animal that didn’t have a healthy life? Its easier to eat one that did because a healthy animal will provide you with better meat and more nutrients.

JR: In other words, you never really understood why they were vegetarian, and you didn't make an effort to find out.

Oh I knew why there were vegetarian, sure I did. I lived with them for six months and studied with them for a year where I also went back and forth to the ranch. They were vegetarian because its part of the Vedanta tradition. The philosophy has determined that all form of killing has negative karmic affects, they would not eat any living thing as they believed in reincarnation. They believed that all life forms were working their way up some spiritual ladder so the deer you see could be a human in its next life etc. etc. They would have felt this about a mouse or a fly. In their philosophy it would have been wrong to kill a mosquito or eat a shrimp.

JR: Have you ever considered that a chicken's life need not hold equal value to a human's life in order to justify not eating the chicken? All it needs is a minimum value above a certain threshold. You talk as if there's human value, then everything else that is valueless except in terms of its value as a resource for human use.

Minimum value? Well at least the group at Shivananda were consistent, they would see the life of a fly as having minimum value and not simply say its not sentient so it doesn’t matter if we swat it or not. Why isn’t the value of a chicken merely for food? For eggs? Does it mean we have to mistreat the chicken? No. But it also doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be eaten. Why isn’t a cockroach worthy of ‘minimum value’? I don’t see everything as valueless I see everything as having its place.

JR: Why worry about depleting species? What's the value in an animal?

Because we need to maintain ecological balance, our own very lives depend upon it.

JR: Is there some kind of sliding scale, then, or is it just humans on one side and everything else on the other? Should a cow have any rights at all? If so, should it have more rights than a mouse, say? What about a mosquito? Or are all non-human creatures equally worthy of having no consideration paid to them as other than resources for exploitation by humans?

They have their place in the eco-system just like humans have a place but rights are assigned James. Outside of allowing them to have as natural setting to live in as is possible I do not see any other rights that need be considered outside of what I have stated above in this post.

On what basis should I argue for better laws? Why should we worry about treating animals humanely?

"We" dont have to worry about it... but humans are at a pont in evoluton that som of us do worry about it... but argue for beter laws dew to the fact that it brakes you'r hart to see animals in pane... an if enuff peope agree... stronger laws coud follow.!!!

Also, isn't there a disconnect between saying you want to treat animals humanely at the same time that you chow down on a juicy steak?

Thats a prollem for those to which its a prollem... but i dont have a prollem wit people eatin animals if the animals have been treeted humainly.!!!

You think I twisted his words? Where, exactly?

Mayb im rong... it maters so little to me i woudnt even go to the trouble to look for evidence... so wit you'r insinuaton that im rong i will wit-draw my accusaton.!!!

Maybe you can explain what his argument is, so I can understand it better.

He argues that its not immmoral to eat animals.!!!

You can argue till you'r blue in the face that you'r morals are beter but all it amounts to is you havin a blue face.!!!

Edit:::

Jus qurious James... if you was stranded on a island for 2 mounthes an the only food was chickens... woud you eat 'em an live or starve to death.???

Last edited:
What is your opinion on people becoming vegetarian/vegan because they take an active against animal cruelty? Is it ignorant in your opinion or logical?

I've considered it myself, but haven't made a commitment yet.

if we all gaup eating meat, we would have to slaughter all the animals, because it would be to expensive to keep them, so in fact we're doing the animals a favour,

and besides some animals are designed to be eaten,

[thread=53226]Link to previous thread on the same topic[/thread] which somebody decided to revive for some reason.

Can we perhaps we can keep the discussion to one thread? (this one)

Who said I was trying to force anyone to do any thing?

The tenor of your arguements. If you don't care that others eat meat, then great I certainly don't care the you don't. But why are you making such a fuss then?

whether or not something is "natural" has little bearing on whether or not it is moral.

Where do I say the least thing about eating meat being immoral or moral? REad it again more cloaely: "My point is meat is tasty and the preferred source for its nutrition. Forcing people to take such an unnatural approach to life just to appease you seems rediculous."

It is arguably "natural" for people to rape, murder, and steal, but most people agree that it's still immoral.

Oh can we have another helping of red herring?

The vast, overwhelming majority of meat that people eat is raised domestically

The vast majority of all herd animals are domestic. So what? We are their predators and the dynamics of the prey/predator relationship remain the same. Your choices would decimate the herds.

You keep saying shit that has no perceivable relevance.

So you raise red herring like this is a fishing scholl and the bitch aobut the results.

So should I assume that in your view any creature that can't vote is fair game to be killed and eaten?

Traditionally any non human is a potential food source, even highly toxic puffer fish. Also from time to time people make special exception for cetain animals.

That's pretty much the only reason anyone in the developed world eats it.

Hardly. Meat is a valuable food source particularly in regions with marginal land which is not suitable for farming or in which in sufficient farming land exists but which has access to the sea, for example.

The question is whether or not it's moral to harm an animal so that you can have fun.

My you are a sick puppy. By and far ranchers don't harm their animals. Now if you are objecting to the animal "factories" then I have to agree such technologies are immoral and unhealthy.

The tenor of your arguements. If you don't care that others eat meat, then great I certainly don't care the you don't. But why are you making such a fuss then?
I was responding to Norsefire's opening post in which he said he didn't see any ethical contradiction in supporting "humane" treatment of animals before they are slaughtered and eaten while still supporting slaughtering and eating them. I was attempting to point out that this seems like a fairly contradictory stance, since by admitting that it's wrong to mistreat animals before you kill them, you are already conceding that they have certain rights and/or that it is sometimes wrong to harm them.
Where do I say the least thing about eating meat being immoral or moral? REad it again more cloaely: "My point is meat is tasty and the preferred source for its nutrition. Forcing people to take such an unnatural approach to life just to appease you seems rediculous."
Well, since this is the ethics and morality subforum, and since we were discussing the morality of eating meat, and you seemed to be on the eating-meat-is-okay side, I was assuming that your point was that it's moral to eat meat...if that wasn't your point, then I can't imagine what the hell your point actually is.
Oh can we have another helping of red herring?
If you are attempting to use the argument that it's moral for us to eat meat unnecessarily because it's "natural," which was what you seemed to be doing, then it is not a red hearing to point out that something is not moral simply because it is "natural."
The vast majority of all herd animals are domestic. So what? We are their predators and the dynamics of the prey/predator relationship remain the same. Your choices would decimate the herds.
You attempted to argue that we need to eat meat in order to control animal populations, which is stupid, since we can control their population by simply not breeding them as much.
Hardly. Meat is a valuable food source particularly in regions with marginal land which is not suitable for farming or in which in sufficient farming land exists but which has access to the sea, for example.
Since most of the developed world routinely ships its food hundreds or thousands of miles before eating it (often between countries and across oceans), this argument has no relevance. It doesn't matter if you live in an area with "marginal land," because your food is probably being shipped in from all over the place anyway.
My you are a sick puppy. By and far ranchers don't harm their animals.
I guess that depends on whether or not you consider killing them to be "harming" them.

if we all gaup eating meat, we would have to slaughter all the animals, because it would be to expensive to keep them, so in fact we're doing the animals a favour,

and besides some animals are designed to be eaten,
No animals are "designed" to be eaten.

[thread=53226]Link to previous thread on the same topic[/thread] which somebody decided to revive for some reason.

Can we perhaps we can keep the discussion to one thread? (this one)
The one in E,M,&J that is old is just that, an old one that was revived. I made a branching one from this thread to discuss a specific issue, although if you want feel free to close that.

Back