Vegetarianism Based On Animal Rights

swarm:

Ah, the self important veggie. Sorry, I've known about veal since I was a teen when we discussed what it was and why it was cruel along with Strasbourg geese.

Do you eat veal then?

All human behavior is a natural function of being human.

And that makes everything ok, does it? We can all just do whatever makes us happy, and never have to worry about those pesky morals.

I bet you don't eat human babies.

I bet you did. Have you stopped yet?

Cutting out half of my sentence in order to quote me out of context and to avoid answering the question I asked you is intellectually dishonest. You're throwing a tantrum instead of addressing the points I'm making.

Let's try again.

You wrote:

swarm said:
Every single cow on the planet is going to died one way or another even if we don't eat a single bit of meat. We kill them. Disease kills them. Other predators kill them. Old age kills them. The inevitable end result is a dead cow.

And I replied:

James R said:
You could say the same about human beings, but I bet you don't eat human babies.

I think I have nicely highlighted your double standard. I note you have not responded, presumably because you don't have a response other than angry denial.

Why don't you support doing the same thing [i.e. killing and eating them] to human beings?

Because I don't and you, of all people should be glad of it.

So, no particular reason then. It's just your gut instinct - just like your entire stance on vegetarianism vs meat eating. No reasoning process is involved.

Not that you have any concern for the animals.

Doesn't lying bother your elevated sense of morals? Or can any standard be sacrificed for your cause?

I apologise if I have misinterpreted you. Perhaps you can explain why you are concerned about cruelty to animals, if indeed you are. Is it a concern for the animals themselves, or just a concern about the possible side-effects of such cruelty to human beings?

To what lengths are you willing to go? Will you kill for your cause?

You're sounding just a little hysterical here. All I'm doing is trying to get you to see the error of your ways. I'm not threatening you. Do you feel threatened? Maybe it's that guilt thing of yours again.

Just like all other species, except humans will actually sacrifice themselves to help other species, something no other species does.

Do you contemplate your noble sacrifice every time you chow down on a nice tender stake? Do you think about how you're helping all the animals?

Queston.!!!

Is ther an esample of 2 adult children "discussin" vegetarnism.???

Replyr:::

Sure... read James R's an Swarms posts to each other.!!!

Agreed.

How exactly do humans sacrifice themselves to help other species?

I think some pet owners would run into a burning building to save them.
There are also game wardens in Africa who die trying to protect endangered species from poachers.
And Dian Fossey comes to mind.

There are also game wardens in Africa who die trying to protect endangered species from poachers.

They don't think about dying for the cause, they go for it.
Besides, what happens when you compare it to all the harm that is done to the natural world by humans ?

They don't think about dying for the cause, they go for it.
Besides, what happens when you compare it to all the harm that is done to the natural world by humans ?

Humans are part of the natural world. :shrug:

so, you tell me. What happens when you compare? I think the only thing that happens when you compare is that you have made a comparison.

In turn, doesn't Lassie sacrifice herself in order to save Timmy?

Moreover, service animals sacrifice themselves all the time to save humans.

Humans are part of the natural world. :shrug:

so, you tell me. What happens when you compare? I think the only thing that happens when you compare is that you have made a comparison.

lol ? :confused:

Then you should give up your so-called rights.

which so called rights are those? And why should I give them up?

You are saying that humans are no more or less than any other animal.
So you either agree to being treated as animals are being treated now, or you agree that how animals are being treated now is a crime of the same order as it would be when humans would be treated that way.
In short, you agreed to equal rights for all animals including humans.

So you either agree to being treated as animals are being treated now, or you agree that how animals are being treated now is a crime of the same order as it would be when humans would be treated that way.

wow, really? I agreed to that? :roflmao:
Humans are part of the natural world. So are trees. So is air. So is a worm.
I have no understanding of your convoluted reasoning as to what I agreed to.

But note the distinctions between "consideration of interests" and "the accordance of rights" which I articulated in Post #125 (http://sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=2318267&postcount=125)--that said, I agree that humans and non-humans have a certain type of rights in relation to one another, but not invariably, for both humans and non-humans.

Returning to the OP:

Originally Posted by MZ3Boy84
What is your opinion on people becoming vegetarian/vegan because they take an active against animal cruelty? Is it ignorant in your opinion or logical?

I've considered it myself, but haven't made a commitment yet.

However, the title of the thread reads: Vegetarianism Based On Animal Rights

Not the same thing.

In response to the post itself: Of course it's logical -- why not? Factory farming is cruel and I'm not sure that anyone has really contested that. To argue that animals of prey would meet a similar fate, and perhaps at an earlier stage in the wild is irrelevant; moreover, it suggests a profound ignorance of the actual conditions of factory farming. People of hunter-gatherer societies live shorter lives and are prone to certain ailments that cannot be adequately treated or addressed than people of most industrialized societies: is it somehow more cruel to allow them to continue with their hunter/gatherer ways? Ought we compel them to assimilate within our industrialized societies?

What is at stake here, and the reason that the title of the thread does not correlate with the original post, is the consideration of interests -- the question of rights is of a whole different species. I'm not partial to the utilitarian notion of this expression, but to each their own (yeah, one might consider that a utilitarian perspective, but it's not necessarily so); rather, I consider the injurious implications of an act and whether they can be avoided or lessened: ought one willfully exert undue harm to another with the knowledge that it's not absolutely necessary?

Refraining from needlessly injurious behavior does not equate to according "rights" to another or considering their "rights." The question of "animal rights" typically pertains to "legal rights" as opposed to "natural rights," unless one defines "natural rights" in such a way as to imply as sort of "social contract" which I discuss below.

"Natural rights," in one sense, exist irrespective of laws, societal customs, etc. A natural right is essentially the freedom to act for one's own preservation -- freedom from certain things does not factor into this definition. It is essentially impossible to deny one rights in this sense: if I choose to bash your head in and you consequently die as a result, you still have (had) your "natural right," as simply the very fact that you lived attests to your acting in self-preservation -- I did not deny you this right (nor can I), as this right does not give your freedom from anything.

In another sense -- and this approaches "legal rights" -- "natural rights" afford one the freedom to act towards one's own preservation so long as in doing so one does not infringe upon another's freedom to act toward their own preservation. This is dependent upon a sort of "social contract," or agreement of reciprocity, which is dependent upon a mutual acknowledgement of the other's entitlements: the very existence of such rights is wholly relational and fluid. The relationship is one of possessiveness in that those accorded such rights are as "one's own." Obviously, this is gonna require some explanation. From my perspective (or your's or anyone's), only my dog, my family, my friends, my countryfolk, etc. are accorded these rights; accordingly, those who do not recognize and acknowledge my entitlements are not "mine" and do not possess these rights (there are limitiations, as when one says something like "my enemy" or when the being in question is a stranger who bears no ill will, but the rule of "possessiveness" does generally suffice).

So how does this pertain to non-human animals? The same as it does to humans: in certain contexts one accords rights to the other, in others one does not -- and vice versa. Does my dog possess rights? Certainly: she acknowledges my entitlements and I hers -- we have entered a moral relationship in which she respects me enough to not bite me, and I respect her enough to not hit her (although even if I didn't respect her, I wouldn't hit her -- and that pertains to the matter of interests above). Does my neighbor? Yes. Do my mutually respectful countryfolk? Yes. Do horses, camels, and other animals educated in and respectful of one-another's mores? Yes. Likewise for all of the above in reverse -- that is, do I from the perspective of the dog, neighbor, countryfolk, horse, etc.

Alternately: Does a lion have rights from my (our) perspective? Probably not, unless she has been educated in my (our) mores; however, the absence of rights does not negate the value of considering the lion's own interests. Do we have rights from the lion's perspective? Again, probably not. Does the enemy combatant have rights? Not according to the definition two paragraphs up. How about a rapist, murderer, or child molester? No. Does that asshole down the road who harasses me and treats people like shit, either by virtue of cognitive defect or conscious moral defiance? Absolutely NOT. Fuck him. He doesn't acknowledge my rights and I don't acknowledge his.

Obviously, there's a lot of grey area: infants, the severely retarded, humans and non-humans who had or have the potential to acknowledge such things. Some might argue that they have rights by virtue of potential, others might suggest they lack rights but nevertheless warrant consideration of their interests.

"Legal rights" are the legislative extension of the latter definition of "natural rights" (which originated with Hobbes, I believe). I'm ambivalent about the whole notion of legal rights as I consider the State to be the construct and product of the most wretched, idiotic, and worthless individuals in the history of the world. Consequently, I have little to offer regarding "legal rights."

Anyhooooo, I just figured this topic needed a proper discussion of what exactly rights are and I don't profess to be an authority on rights.

But note the distinctions between "consideration of interests" and "the accordance of rights" which I articulated in Post #125 (http://sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=2318267&postcount=125)--that said, I agree that humans and non-humans have a certain type of rights in relation to one another, but not invariably, for both humans and non-humans.

I'm talking about the hypocrisy.
Crying murder when some animal attacks a human (probably even caused by a fault of the human).
Organize a hunt to kill the evil animal, often killing off not just the animal that did it (or not at all) but a whole host of others.
Going home to exterminate the wasps that build a nest above your porch.

If you think you are part of nature and think it's fine to exterminate hundreds of wasps in one go, then you shouldn't whine about being attacked by an animal either.

Back