Valid way to pay for college?

Is this a valid way to pay for college?

• Yes this is valid

Votes: 13 81.3%
  • No, people are being taken advantage of.

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters
Yeah, Xev, if you go to a state college you're probably only paying about 20% of the actual education costs.

It's tempting to say "it's wrong", especially if you haven't been in the shoes of a dead-broke college student who's piling up debt.

I don't care to judge others. I don't see anything wrong with it.

I think there is potential for starving students to be exploited here. In Canada, the "stripper" industry is pretty much run by organised crime. While this could seem like an easy way to make tuition, this kind of work is the kind of thing that could come back to haunt a person if she (or he) later wants to get into careers where personal integrity will be evaluated (ie. law enforcement, politics, journalism, etc.).

That being said, at some point we have to rely on the individual's ability to judge what's best for her or himself. As long as the student understands the potential future consequences of assuming such a position (no pun intended), and is baiscally making an informed decision on the issue, the decision should be that of the student alone.

On the issue of university being free ... umm, what? In Canada the government pays for a substantial portion of all university tuition. On top of that students are given all sorts of financial assistance (student loans, bursaries, etc.), and then there's that four letter word - WORK. Anyone can have a university education if he or she is willing to work for it.

I'm still a student right now, and one thing that I've observed over the years is that the students who pay their own way generally appreciate their education more than those whose way is paid by the Bank of Mom & Dad. I can just imagine how many people would waste tax dollars on a four year party binge if the government paid the entire bill.

Originally posted by Dragoon

I can just imagine how many people would waste tax dollars on a four year party binge if the government paid the entire bill.
It wouldn't be a four year party binge if the govt only paid for students who actually applied themselves.

Back